Nothing appears to have changed regarding the COH move since the interview below. I’d be surprised if anything new came out but who knows?
Rob Staton
@robstaton
Here's what Steven Rosen, co-Chairman at Sheffield United, said to Nathan Zegura, about the financial situation at the club, and the dispute with former owners United World:
Rosen: "You know, there's been some noise about us net spending or selling players and getting £15 million pounds and not reinvesting it. Keep in mind, we're already £30-plus-million, you know, funding loss this year, and we inherited a club that had some obligations and whatnot.
"So, you know, when you look at the patient, the patient(s) struggling. At some point, you need to restructure. We wanted to move away from COH, and because of the, you know, dispute with one of the individuals who was looking at the club initially with us, and that's been reported on in Delaware, and we wanted Prince Abdullah and United World still wanted to look at the past, they didn't want to go with us into the future, and we couldn't couldn't make an arrangement with them.
"So that's how that came together. We're unhappy, I believe, him to be unhappy at this point as well. But what was in the best interest of the supporters, the employees, the footballers, the, you know, the whole club, was to to re-organise and restructure.
"Now, there's been some comment on the, you know, what's going to be the, you know, fallout with the EFL. You know, let me just comment on this. At no point there's only one real, you know, noise around points deductions, sporting sanctions, yeah, and that Prince Abdullah put that out. Prince Abdullah and United World don't have power over the EFL to issue a points deduction. A former owner can't tell the EFL what to do..."
Interviewer: "Right"
Rosen: "As much as he'd like to, that threat tactic, you know, he doesn't have that power. Other clubs, competitive clubs, self-servingly, I'm sure would love to see us or like to see us or enjoy us getting a points deduction, put us further..."
Interviewer: "Down, make it harder, right?"
Rosen: "Make it harder for us to compete. But clubs don't have power over the EFL. At no point was the club, the football club insolvent. We pay our creditors on time. We pay our bills on time. No, like the club itself. There's a little technicality there on whether or not a group company. So they look at group companies. Well, COH is not a group company. That's not a group company of Sheffield. It does not not the holder of Sheffield. It's not the holding company, so I I can't see in any scenario where the club gets a points deduction because of that insolvency rule. It wasn't like Sheffield Wednesday where they had an administrator and it went into insolvency, couldn't pay their bills and all that. That's that's not our situation."
Interviewer: "Well, good."
Rosen: "Yeah, really good, right?"
Interviewer: "Because all this is all about winning. Yeah?"
Rosen: "That's all about winning. And so, you know, when I look to the future, which is really, really, really where I want to go, and look to the future and not the past, I look to a much brighter future. We moved on from COH. We moved into this, you know, new world. We're bringing in some new investment partners, which I think many clubs are trying to do. I know, as you've read over, you know, recently, there's you know many a club who have brought in new investment partners to try to get better and bigger and you know build the academy. So that's our that's our goal."
Interviewer: "Well, thanks for sharing that. I'm glad to hear that it sounds like sanctions. There will be no point deductions, so that this Sheffield United can get back to doing what it's wanting to do, as you said, the state of Goldman to get to the Premier League and stay there because this is an exciting time. Season's about to start. I know you got to get through this kind of this transfer window period, and then, let's go. Good luck."
Rosen: "Watch football. Thank you."