Stephen Bettis speaks to local Media

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?




Sssssssssteven
Why didn’t you have the bollocks that a CEO should have when you found out about the Selles plans ( not the Wilder sacking which was fair enough)
Surely even YOU knew it would be a disaster just look at his previous failures
He was a successful and well regarded manager before joining us, let's not rewrite history.
 
At best, he'd had a 'mixed' managerial career.

Plenty of us could see the car crash before it happened, so please don't rewrite history.
What were his failures?

Plenty of people didn't want Wilder sacked and were annoyed (me included). Some people didn't want to hire Selles and predicted it would end badly, but people also said that about Wilder and literally every other manger ever hired.

We are uniformed fans on the outside giving our largely baseless opinions. We didn't see his CV, we weren't there for the interview, we didn't hear from his previous employers. If your prediction came about, good for you, but let's not pretend anyone knew for a fact he would fail (not even considering the dreadful hand he was dealt by our owners).
 
Hull fans, certainly the ones I knew, had major reservations.
I saw mixed things from Hull fans, but given the situation he was dropped into and the short time he was there, it isn't really a significant data point. They stayed up, it was ugly, perhaps they'd have looked better after he had time to actually change the players and develop a style.
 
I saw mixed things from Hull fans, but given the situation he was dropped into and the short time he was there, it isn't really a significant data point. They stayed up, it was ugly, perhaps they'd have looked better after he had time to actually change the players and develop a style.

But obviously us, then Real Zaragoza, have equally been disastrous tenures.
 
I saw mixed things from Hull fans, but given the situation he was dropped into and the short time he was there, it isn't really a significant data point. They stayed up, it was ugly, perhaps they'd have looked better after he had time to actually change the players and develop a style.
I don't think there was a lot of positivity around his appointment other than to change us from an apparently boring, but effective points gaining side.
 
I don't think there was a lot of positivity around his appointment other than to change us from an apparently boring, but effective points gaining side.
Does the mood of fans regarding a managerial appointment correlate to their record or whether they'll succeed? Our fans were more positive about Weir and Adkins than they were about Wilder and Heckingbottom.
 
Does the mood of fans regarding a managerial appointment correlate to their record or whether they'll succeed? Our fans were more positive about Weir and Adkins than they were about Wilder and Heckingbottom.

I think the perception was that we’d had a largely successful season and if a change was necessary, it needed someone to “get us over the top” (rather than reinvent the wheel) ideally with a better system of playing. Cooper would have been a decent appointment, or someone akin to that.

We decided to reinvent the wheel and rip everything up, all with one roll of the dice with parachute payments. We gambled on an unproven manager with little track record anywhere. It was a complete act of self-harm and will be looked back as setting us back years.
 
I think the perception was that we’d had a largely successful season and if a change was necessary, it needed someone to “get us over the top” (rather than reinvent the wheel) ideally with a better system of playing. Cooper would have been a decent appointment, or someone akin to that.

We decided to reinvent the wheel and rip everything up, all with one roll of the dice with parachute payments. We gambled on an unproven manager with little track record anywhere. It was a complete act of self-harm and will be looked back as setting us back years.
I think perceptions were very mixed in the wake of Wembley. Many fans wanted everything ripped up and still do.

As terrible a job Selles did and as bad an appointment it now undoubtedly was, I think it's strange to suggest it set us back years. He was gone after a few months. Sacking Wilder perhaps did set us back, the AI signings and the desperation signings that followed in that window certainly did, but Selles presumably had little control over those.
 
Does the mood of fans regarding a managerial appointment correlate to their record or whether they'll succeed? Our fans were more positive about Weir and Adkins than they were about Wilder and Heckingbottom.
Well Selles didn't have much of a record before he came to us either. Bang average at Reading and did enough in a few months at Hull City to get sacked.
I wouldn't say he'd had any success
 
Well Selles didn't have much of a record before he came to us either. Bang average at Reading and did enough in a few months at Hull City to get sacked.
I wouldn't say he'd had any success
I would argue otherwise, at Reading he was successful dealing with a ridiculously difficult situation, developing young players and having relative success on the pitch. He kept Hull up, which they hired him to do. Their owners also sacked Rosenior despite him doing a good job, blokes a nutjob.

Either way, we all agree on him now.
 





Bored of Bettis now.

Not sure what he brings to the table.

He'll make some right noises, but very little of substance ever follows.

The direction of the club under the new owners have been garbage, I'm speculating but I get the impression Bettis is just a self-preservation type guy.
 
I would argue otherwise, at Reading he was successful dealing with a ridiculously difficult situation, developing young players and having relative success on the pitch. He kept Hull up, which they hired him to do. Their owners also sacked Rosenior despite him doing a good job, blokes a nutjob.

Either way, we all agree on him now.
Yes he kept Hull up.
In fairness to Hull's owner, he saw through both Selles and Rosenior and got rid.

Reading wasn't much of a success.
 
Or even did we even get beyond the enquiry stage? If so when was the last bid? And what happened to that money? How come it was ok to spend on Souttar but not ok to get a replacement no 10 if the manager was so wedded to 4-2-3-1?
How do you know there was money for souttar
I heard it was a loan to buy offer
 
What were his failures?

We are uniformed fans on the outside giving our largely baseless opinions. We didn't see his CV, we weren't there for the interview, we didn't hear from his previous employers. If your prediction came about, good for you, but let's not pretend anyone knew for a fact he would fail (not even considering the dreadful hand he was dealt by our owners).

His 'failures' included a year at Hull, where after starting like a train, they only managed to stay up on the last day of the season due to other results.

When he started talking about 'chaos', I did a little more than raise eyebrows. If you can be bothered to search back, you will see that there were a small band of us questioning his pedigree and performance in the friendlies, BEFORE the disastrous start. I called him a charlatan from the start, as IMHO, he talked complete tripe.

If we are that 'uninformed', let's not bother offering opinions at all, eh?
 
His 'failures' included a year at Hull, where after starting like a train, they only managed to stay up on the last day of the season due to other results.

When he started talking about 'chaos', I did a little more than raise eyebrows. If you can be bothered to search back, you will see that there were a small band of us questioning his pedigree and performance in the friendlies, BEFORE the disastrous start. I called him a charlatan from the start, as IMHO, he talked complete tripe.

If we are that 'uninformed', let's not bother offering opinions at all, eh?
He wasn't at Hull even half a year and staying up was the remit. The squad was a mess, they had loads of injuries and he did his job.

I'm not doubting that you or others didn't like the Selles appointment before the start to the season.

I'm fine with fans offering opinions, I'm objecting to fans assuming they understand football so well they can accurately predict the result of a managerial appointment based on a fraction of the information that clubs operate with. We all get things wrong, but only remember when we're right.
 
At best, he'd had a 'mixed' managerial career.

Plenty of us could see the car crash before it happened, so please don't rewrite history.
We all know Selles was rubbish!... but let's not forget he was in charge of Dull when they tore wilders united to pieces at the lane and won 3-0😥
 
Bored of Bettis now.

Not sure what he brings to the table.

He'll make some right noises, but very little of substance ever follows.

The direction of the club under the new owners have been garbage, I'm speculating but I get the impression Bettis is just a self-preservation type guy.
He can't win, keep his head down and he's not engaging with the fanbase. Offer himself up to answer the fans questions and they are bored of hearing him.
He has been hung out to dry ( Wilder as well) and take the flack for doing a job the owners should be doing.
If you want to put your questions that are not simple to answer to RS I'm sure they would ask them on your behalf.
 
He can't win, keep his head down and he's not engaging with the fanbase. Offer himself up to answer the fans questions and they are bored of hearing him.
He has been hung out to dry ( Wilder as well) and take the flack for doing a job the owners should be doing.
If you want to put your questions that are not simple to answer to RS I'm sure they would ask them on your behalf.

You might be right, and Bettis is doing a great job in the background of holding it all together.

I just see a business that's underperforming and the blame always seems to bypass Bettis upwards or downwards.
I'm not sure what he's accountable for?

Maybe I'm just fatigued with it all. I see us repeating the same mistakes and it's tiresome.
 
I wonder if Bettis gets scrutinised for the lack of payment to the previous owner (rightly) whereas the lack of payment to a previous owner was celebrated in S6 and on Radio Sheffield.
 
He wasn't at Hull even half a year and staying up was the remit. The squad was a mess, they had loads of injuries and he did his job.

I'm not doubting that you or others didn't like the Selles appointment before the start to the season.

I'm fine with fans offering opinions, I'm objecting to fans assuming they understand football so well they can accurately predict the result of a managerial appointment based on a fraction of the information that clubs operate with. We all get things wrong, but only remember when we're right.

Your last paragraph is fine, but it doesn't stop us having a good guess.
Of our managerial appointments since 1980, I'd say I got one completely wrong, and 3 or 4 others were a bit better or worse than I anticipated.
I still stick to the line, that seasoned fans who knew our squad and saw Selles track record, could make a decent stab at it.
 
I think perceptions were very mixed in the wake of Wembley. Many fans wanted everything ripped up and still do.

As terrible a job Selles did and as bad an appointment it now undoubtedly was, I think it's strange to suggest it set us back years. He was gone after a few months. Sacking Wilder perhaps did set us back, the AI signings and the desperation signings that followed in that window certainly did, but Selles presumably had little control over those.

I think gambling on an unproven manager with a squad that finished 3rd on the last year of parachute payments was an absolutely disastrous decision. We’re now left completely hamstrung by the fallout of that summer. Not sure why we are trying to rewrite history, it remains a period of the club characterised by brain dead decisions.

As for Selles, I’d seriously consider Davie Weir instead of him if I had one match to save my life. Whilst I’m sure he knew his way around Expected Goals, he seemed to expect playing with no central midfield was a sensible way play football. Mind blowing stuff.

At Soton as caretaker he won 2 in 17 and they got relegated. Reading he finished 17th then left when they were 6th halfway through the season. Hull they finished 21st on goal difference and he was sacked. Sacked at SUFC when we were bottom of the league. Sacked at Zaragoza when they were bottom of La Liga 2.

How on earth he has got another job is beyond me, but it looks like a Cypriot professional team has now taken him on. Madness. He must be good at interviews.
 
The questions will be sent in advance so he has time to prepare, any normal journalist would be sniffing blood, ours will probably welcome him with open arms and call him Mr Bettis.
It isn't Frost v Nixon. For interviews like this it's standard practice to give the person being interviewed an idea of the questions they will be asked. Bettis isn't being accused of anything dodgy. He's agreed to do this interview when he could have said no.

The idea is to ask questions provided by fans. He may not have all the answers to hand otherwise.

Nothing wrong with being welcoming or even calling him Mr Bettis, though he probably prefers to be addressed as Steven.
 



I wonder if Bettis gets scrutinised for the lack of payment to the previous owner (rightly) whereas the lack of payment to a previous owner was celebrated in S6 and on Radio Sheffield.
Unlikely as the money isn't owed by the football club for which he is CEO.

If they put that question to him, then they don't understand business

There are lots of pertinent questions about the COH Bidco and the new structure which they can put to him which do relate to Sheffield United.
 

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Back
Top Bottom