Stand by Him?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Would you stand by him?

• Total voters
TBH im torn with this.
on the one hand yes hes been convicted of a very serious crime and the punishment meted out comfirms that, but like many others i really just dont understand how the first guy to have sex with her is found not guilty and the second, guilty. did she become more drunk between the two?
i have been drunk like many of you and ive never become more drunk especially after sex which has a sobering effect.
Now if both had been convicted i would totally agree, ched should lose everything, his liberty, his job and in truth the chance to work in professional football for life, but for me personally that one is aquitted and one guilty means one of to things either cheds lawyer wasnt as good as the other guys or theres a lot of stuff we are missing, i think waiting for an appeal wouldnt really hurt the club only make it seem neutral, we can distance ourelves later if need arises, but to drop this young (and stupid lad) before the appeal seems a little premature.
IF he appeals and found not guilty, unlike a certain tixilix addict, i thnk he would show a similar sense of honor and stick with us, however if appeal is lost there should be no time wasted in canceling his contract and comdemning his actons strongly.
as for his wages whilst on remand, would it not be ok to commute his wages until a time he is found guilty/not guilty on appeal.
convicted today yes, but if he's successful on appeal, (darren or pinchy correct me please) the first virdict would be stricken from all records and he could be totally exonerated.
on a side note, what are port vale doing with the other guy?

MunXy

Simples - she yes to McD but not to all and sundry

Greateful to Ched Evans for his contribution this season. He's been a brilliant player and worthy of praise on the pitch for his goalscoring ability. We all knew there was a possibility that his appearance on this charge would end in something unfavourable and I was gutted for the club (but not for him) when the verdict came out on the news today. He's been found guilty, people. Blade or not, thirty-odd goals or not, were it your daughter raped in whatever inebriated condition she were, I doubt if it had been Tony Currie or Brian Deane you'd have felt forgiving or reflective.

I hope she feels that justice has been correctly served and can rebuild her life.

We need to acknowledge that justice has been done, and move the fuck on. Ched is guilty, he needs to serve his time and learn and understand that his days in red and white are over. It's bad enough we have a convicted rapist on our playing staff, but the immediacy is how we are going to maintain any sort of momentum and prevent them sniggering cunts at S6 capitalising on this dark day at BDTBL, one of too fucking many in my lifetime.

pommpey

Simples - she yes to McD but not to all and sundry
but the case says she was in no state to say yes and she even said herself she couldnt remember.
what your saying BoS is she was in a fit state to say yes to McD but somehow not fit to say yes to evens, he claims she said yes to him yet she has no recollection of saying yes to either, im sorry if my playing devils advocate here offends but, IF she said yes to McD and has no recollection then sid yes to ched and has no recollection i fail to see why both werent guilty or both innocent.

MunXy

Just because he was found guilty doesn't mean he is.
it means exactly that.

have none of you got gross misconduct dismissal clauses in your employment contracts? seriously. take a look at yourselves and what you're saying. even if the conviction were overturned on appeal his conduct would be utterly reprehensible.

All three of them are morally reprehensible, but I still don't see how, when the prosecutions case has always been that the girl was in no fit state to have consented to sexual intercourse, that the jury have found that she did consent with McDonald but not with Evans?

Cos the jury is made up of reasonable people that can make a decision based on their interpretation of the evidence and of what probably happened that night.

but the case says she was in no state to say yes and she even said herself she couldnt remember.
what your saying BoS is she was in a fit state to say yes to McD but somehow not fit to say yes to evens, he claims she said yes to him yet she has no recollection of saying yes to either, im sorry if my playing devils advocate here offends but, IF she said yes to McD and has no recollection then sid yes to ched and has no recollection i fail to see why both werent guilty or both innocent.

MunXy

No mate you are right to question and no offence taken. Juries have to interpret evidence as evidence can't be weighed in the scales of justice like bags of frozen peas.

This is my interpretation of why the jury found as they did.

Only a fly on the wall would know exactly what happened that night

No mate you are right to question and no offence taken. Juries have to interpret evidence as evidence can't be weighed in the scales of justice like bags of frozen peas.

This is my interpretation of why the jury found as they did.

Only a fly on the wall would know exactly what happened that night
or his brother that filmed it.

As much as it pains me to say, we can't stand by him. No one person is bigger than the club.

As much as it pains me to say, we can't stand by him. No one person is bigger than the club.

Am pretty sure the Club will not do anything judging from the statement. They will wait for the appeal or his contract to run out which ever comes first I imagine

Its not Sheffield United's job to second guess the legal system. He's a good third division striker but not worth trashing our reputation over, get shot I say.

Can't we sack him but retain his registration? Sure this happened with the Chelsea player done for drugs. Not sure that I'd want us to cash in on him, just get rid and move on IMO.

It's all a massive shame: for the girl primarily, for United but also for Ched. I still don't understand how the first one can get off and the next one sentenced to 5 yrs. Wait for the appeal in my view.

His brother and his mates testimony's must of been worthless.
how can anyone witness a rape,yet not be directly involved in it?i dont mean that by actually taking part,but how the fuck can you be a few yards from someone and watch them`rape`someone without actually being involved somehow?
the mcdonald bloke has more to this than meets the eye.

All hypothetical, I work in a factory making windows( I do actually) but the point I want to make is,if I was accused of rape,then taken to court and found guilty,not good,but then decided to appeal and then,very unlikely released ( phew). Would I really want to go back and show my face.the snide remarks,the girls/ women working in the offices,no smoke without fire and all that bo@@ocks. Would I really. Iv'e got a few quid in the bank, and we know that someone will probably want my services, because as small window companies go I'm one of the best there is.but come on thick skinned or not would you really go back,or just leave it all behind.

All hypothetical, I work in a factory making windows( I do actually) but the point I want to make is,if I was accused of rape,then taken to court and found guilty,not good,but then decided to appeal and then,very unlikely released ( phew). Would I really want to go back and show my face.the snide remarks,the girls/ women working in the offices,no smoke without fire and all that bo@@ocks. Would I really. Iv'e got a few quid in the bank, and we know that someone will probably want my services, because as small window companies go I'm one of the best there is.but come on thick skinned or not would you really go back,or just leave it all behind.

I'd purchase a keyboard with a space bar that works :)

Cos the jury is made up of reasonable people that can make a decision based on their interpretation of the evidence and of what probably happened that night.

Both our legal guys got the outcome wrong and said a jury is a lottery. Do you trust our legal system ? I certainly dont ,from experience I could name you a lad who got 4 months for being bitten by a police dog on John St while simply walking to the match ,I was with him. Despite the testimony of half a dozen witnesses the jury believed the police and I lost my faith in British Justice.

I was definitely othe sack him now camp.

After a few hours to think about it, I have no issue with us leaving the decision in a pending status until he decides not to appeal/his appeal I thrown out, or we get to the end of the season.

If nothing else, the boy has a number of mates in the current team. We need to show them we don't just cast people loose, for he next 3-6 weeks at least anyway...

We have to do whats best in the long term interests of SUFC. If hat means holding off until we have secured promotion, finished the Play offs or whatever, so be it...

I think we should wait for the verdict on the appeal but I'm pretty sure the club will just move on regardless

It's kind of wishful thinking but I agree with what a lot of people are saying here about how 1 guy gets off and the other when gets sent down for 5 years, when they more or less did the same thing. They both took advantage of her in the end

Rape is horrible but you have to take into account Ched didn't physically harm or force the girl to have sex, there was no malicious intent in what he did, so I don't agree with the people calling him scum and how he should rot etc. he was just an idiot and shouldn't have had sex with her considering her state plus the fact he's a footballer. I feel sorry for him in the situation he's put himself in

And I'm still confused about the story - they both claim she said 'yes', but the girl says she 'doesn't remember' if she consented it or not. I don't understand how they reached the verdict when she kept giving 'don't remember' answers. I'll only be satisfied if there's some clear evidence as to why he's guilty

Long story short - the jury did not believe the testimony by CM and CE in relation othe consent. End of.

good luck to him with his appeal and players should stay in the law as he going to be missed for us for these remaining games and its been a sad day.

I don't have any kids but I wouldn't like to be explaining why someone's 'hero' will not playing in red and white again.

My daughter is 8 years old, and she's coming to the Lane with me for the Stevenage match, her first in just over a year. How do I explain to her about our leading goalscorer being locked up? If she says to me "Dad, what's rape?" then how do I answer her? How do I explain rape to a child whose knowledge of sex comes from learning about frogs and tadpoles at school?

United were right in standing by Ched Evans during the whole legal process, as in our country you are innocent until proven guilty regardless of the crime. But now I think that we should not be standing by a convicted criminal. If he'd beaten someone to a pulp, or robbed an old lady then what would people say? He is now a criminal. The club should be distancing itself.

Incidentally, will the club be offering refunds or exchanges to those with "Evans 9" on the backs of their shirts? I'm glad my daughter hasn't got it on her shirt, it would have been burnt by now.

My daughter is 8 years old, and she's coming to the Lane with me for the Stevenage match, her first in just over a year. How do I explain to her about our leading goalscorer being locked up? If she says to me "Dad, what's rape?" then how do I answer her? How do I explain rape to a child whose knowledge of sex comes from learning about frogs and tadpoles at school?

United were right in standing by Ched Evans during the whole legal process, as in our country you are innocent until proven guilty regardless of the crime. But now I think that we should not be standing by a convicted criminal. If he'd beaten someone to a pulp, or robbed an old lady then what would people say? He is now a criminal. The club should be distancing itself.

Incidentally, will the club be offering refunds or exchanges to those with "Evans 9" on the backs of their shirts? I'm glad my daughter hasn't got it on her shirt, it would have been burnt by now.

Shorehamview, I've got exactly the same dilemma. I bought tickets for my 8 (just last week) year old grandson. He's really looking forward to it for . Yesterday I had the car radio on and my grandaughter and her friend (both 12) were listening to Evans story. I've never felt this low as a Blade, I'm considering not going now, promotion just feels meaningless at the moment

Yeah, lets get some efigies made up and everything...

You need to spell them properly before you make them. Double "f".;)

I'm not suggesting that we burn Ched Evans, I'm just pointing out that it's going to be very difficult for me to explain to my daughter about him and that I'm glad she's not got a shirt with his name and number on the back. Everything he has achieved this season is now irreparably tainted. And I cheered him, and I loved every goal, and I defended him to those who had decided his guilt before the jury did, and that makes me feel dirty.

I'm still going to celebrate if we get promoted, but this is another stick for our enemies to beat United with and no, we shouldn't stand by him. If he does win his appeal that will change everything, and there's a difference between not standing by him and publicly crucifying him.

Whilst I am not surprised that the majority want him sacked, I am surprised by the instant turnaround in opinion that, because the jury says he's done it, he must have. I appreciate that this is how our legal system works, but these are 12 people who weren't there and 12 people who are capable of making mistakes. The certainty with which some are now stating his guilt is especially surprising when the majority, when reading the evidence as it was presented, seemed so certain he was innocent.
I don`t see how anyone could be certain he was innocent. Thankfully none of us were there.
Sack him now.

Back
Top Bottom