Stand by Him?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Would you stand by him?

• Total voters

Latters

Reaction score
So the jury has deemed it possible for her to consent once but not twice in such a short space of time, seeing as both admitted to sleeping with her. Would anybody on here stand by Ched, given the guilty verdict?

I certainly would, pending an appeal, which is apparently being looked into, according to Ched's representative's statement. It would be just our luck to sack him, him to somehow win an appeal (unlikely, I know) and be free to join someone else for free.

I'd be tempted to stick with him even if it wasn't overturned. Having followed the case, and I'm not claiming to have any further information than that which is publicly available, but I just can't fathom how this verdict was reached. Plus the fact, just because a jury says he's guilty, doesn't make it true. I am not saying it is or it isn't as I wasn't there that night and that is the only way you could be certain.

So, I was just wondering if it's me that's so out of kilter with everyone else's opinions, or if anybody else would stick by him. After all, if Notts County and Scunny can have players who have actually caused somebody's death in their team, Ched will get another club after serving his sentence, why not us? He will have taken his punishment in the eyes of the law.

I am aware that some will find my views as morally reprihensible, but I'm entitled to them all the same.

You are entitled to them, and to post them on this forum, it's your right. It was that teenagers right not to be raped.

Not a time for snap decisions, keep him if he is appealing the verdict. As it stands one man free the other locked up casts serious doubts in my mind that the jury made the correct choice here.

I'd probably hold on, pending an appeal. Its how I would expect to be treated in the same circumstances by my employer, so the same should go for him. If the appeal fails, terminate his contract before he is back in the cells.

United have done everything correctly so far.

Until today, Ched was innocent until proven guilty. SUFC played him - and reaped the benefits of it - because he was the best option we had, rightly so. Anybody who criticises us for this is being moronic - would they say the same thing if it was a reserve left back?

Today, Ched was found guilty but the statement has said he will be appealing. SUFC have again got it spot on by not condemning him and saying that we will not be speaking about it until after the appeal. Although he has been proven guilty, SUFC are right to suggest that we wish to wait until the appeal is finished. This is probably the first point where United could wash their hands of him but he clearly insists that he is innocent by stating his intent to appeal. SUFC are, IMO, right to wait for the appeal verdict - I wouldn't describe it as backing him though.

If his appeal is successful and he is proven innocent, then SUFC should be in a strong position to keep Ched as he would have to look on it favourably. If he appeals and this is rejected and he is proven guilty once again, that is the time to wash our hands of him. If his appeal fails, once he gets out of jail, whether he has served his time/punishment, I wouldn't want United to re-associate ourselves with him. We're going to have enough sh*t thrown at our club - wrongly - over the fact a convicted 'rapist' has scored 35 of our potential promotion winning goals. If he serves his time and then re-signs for United, I'd have an issue with that.

UTB.

Nope. It's got to be a sacking.

That's the only thing the club can do I'm afraid. From a moral point of view having a convicted criminal on the books is just a no-no. From a financial point of view his wages and possible retainer would make no sense to a club not particularly swimming in free cash, plus who knows how sponsors may react. And finally from the Warnock/Court Case years we aren't particularly the most liked club in the land. I don't care what other fans think but our reputation does seem to mean we don't get a fair deal on the pitch from refs or from the FA.

I would wait until the appeal then make the right call then

Im sorry he has to go. Either let his contract expire and have done with it or sack him now and save 3-4 months of wages. Whether or not his appeal is successful we cannot condone the fact of what he has done, morally and ethically. The club has a reputation to maintain and by standing by him we will damage that. Playing him whilst he was effectively on remand is and always has been the correct thing to do, he was innocent until proven guilty then, now its the other way round and that doesnt sit right with me

1. His contract should be terminated immediately
2. The club should quietly offer to help the victim in some form or other.
3. The fans should move on.

I do disagree with your second point. Why should SUFC offer any help to this woman at all? I say this because I would not expect my employer to have that responsibility if I was in Evans' position.

Not me, at best he is a thick convicted rapist, at worst a convicted rapist.

he's been a fucking idiot whatever way you look at it - if he's guilty then fuck him off if it were my daughter or yours prison probably the safest place for him,however i don't understand how the other guy got off with it

I do find this hard that people on here that defended him all week then turn on him when it went against him. Always thought he would get away with it with lack of evidence but would be lucky to do so. I think the fact McDonald got away with it so to speak makes the ched decision unsafe

However in the eyes of the law he is a convicted rapist and we have to stand morally by the women we live with and he has to go immediately. We are Sheffield utd, not ched FC

Whilst I am not surprised that the majority want him sacked, I am surprised by the instant turnaround in opinion that, because the jury says he's done it, he must have. I appreciate that this is how our legal system works, but these are 12 people who weren't there and 12 people who are capable of making mistakes. The certainty with which some are now stating his guilt is especially surprising when the majority, when reading the evidence as it was presented, seemed so certain he was innocent.

I voted no.

What i would caveat that with is that none of us know Ched personally. Those at the club do and knowing someone in this way may move them to be more sympathetic with the situation. So i understand it's a difficult decision to make.

You can make an argument that he has a reasonable expectation of an acquittal after an appeal. But this is just speculation and SUFC as a club should move on.

... I wasn't there that night and that is the only way you could be certain.

She was there and she doesn't seem very certain. Something about the judgement rankles, but it's there, what can you do? One thing I do know is, I'm glad I'm not the one having to make the decision. It's a real lose-lose for the club.

If we sack him and is acquitted, we lose goals and money. If we stick by him and he isn't acquitted, we come out looking awful.

i had hoped he was innocent but if you check previous posts i for one never voiced an opinion either way

Some of the comments here are abhorrent. As of this afternoon it is a proven fact that Ched raped this woman. He is to blame for his actions and no one else. He must also live with the consequences which include no longer being an employee of the club among many more important consequences. The language of standing by him, the disgusting implication being he has somehow been unlucky, is plainly wrong. It's done, he's gone, we move on and his victim lives with this every day of her life. Get some perspective.

Whilst I am not surprised that the majority want him sacked, I am surprised by the instant turnaround in opinion that, because the jury says he's done it, he must have. I appreciate that this is how our legal system works, but these are 12 people who weren't there and 12 people who are capable of making mistakes. The certainty with which some are now stating his guilt is especially surprising when the majority, when reading the evidence as it was presented, seemed so certain he was innocent.

I think we should just let his contract expire whilst his legal team prepares his appeal and await the outcome.
I find it very strange that one is convicted and one acquitted, when the girls account is based purely on having absolutely no recollection of events?

I do disagree with your second point. Why should SUFC offer any help to this woman at all? I say this because I would not expect my employer to have that responsibility if I was in Evans' position.

Because I think a football club is part of the community and should recognise that it and its employees have some community responsibility. The club cant just wash its hands of the situation.

He's getting sacked. We couldnt afford him when he was able to play for us, we're not going to pay him while he sits in the big house.

He will be sacked next week and will never play for this club again.

i have very mixed emotions at present:( ,on one hand, he seems to have carried the can for the both of them to which i mean both have had sex with her one is guilty and one is aint ???? then on the other hand i feel if he is genuinely guilty he has brought more bad publicity/shame on our club. i am at present looking at £500 in one hand and season ticket renewals in the other hand and thinking should i renew or not,then packing all my utd shirts away until i can bring them out again and wear them with pride. i have no doubt that the fat bastard will be writing his drivel in the newspapers at the weekend

Back
Top Bottom