Stand by Him?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Would you stand by him?

• Total voters
What's to appeal ? The evidence is the evidence, what's she going to do change her version of events, nothing will change. Forget Evans, move on, get rid

No for me, I thought he was innocent I really did, I've stayed quiet throughout and read everything that has been posted on here and twitter regarding the trial, I am very shocked, however, he is a role model to kids, I don't have any kids but I wouldn't like to be explaining why someone's 'hero' will not playing in red and white again.
I cant see an appeal making much difference as it was 12 out of 12 who thought he was guilty, maybe this CCTV footage that none of us has seen made their decision sway or maybe we haven't heard the full story, either way we will never know the real truth of what went on.
The club now needs to move on from this by terminating his contract in my opinion, and we as fans need to move on by giving Sheffield United FC our full support tomorrow.

Agreed we're Blades fans not Evan's fans. I'm so disappointed in him

Darren and Pinchy have stated that any appeal will not be based on evidence. It will only be appealed on a legal technicality - something like an inconsistency between the verdicts (i am parphrasing here). They also stated that any appeal is very unlikely to succeed on this basis

i reckon he should be still a contracted player but his wages suspended (a la Tevez) until the appeal is heard.. maybe i'm just a cynical old fool but it doesn't add up for me

All three of them are morally reprehensible, but I still don't see how, when the prosecutions case has always been that the girl was in no fit state to have consented to sexual intercourse, that the jury have found that she did consent with McDonald but not with Evans?

Darren and Pinchy have stated that any appeal will not be based on evidence. It will only be appealed on a legal technicality - something like an inconsistency between the verdicts (i am parphrasing here). They also stated that any appeal is very unlikely to succeed on this basis

The only other possibility - and I'm speculating wildly here - is that the judge's summing up or direction to the jury crossed the lines. I'd be amazed if Evans' appeal (if there is one) is successful.

Evans has been found guilty by a jury of his peers.
He's a very, very stupid man.
He doesn't represent anything to do with Sheffield United Football Club IMO.
I for one, would not stand by him.

Some of the comments here are abhorrent. As of this afternoon it is a proven fact that Ched raped this woman. .

That was the opinion of the jury - it doesn't mean it is fact (there have been numerous court cases where verdicts have subsequently been overturned after being proven wrong). As several have said, the case just doesn't stack up for me. He's been stupid - no doubt about that - but I still cannot understand how one could be found guilty and the other innocent. The actions & character of the victim are also.....I'd best be careful here.....puzzling.

Personally, I feel sorry for Ched - ast I haven't heard anything to prove beyond doubt that he was guilty. But if he was, of course he deserves everything he gets.

Some of the comments here are abhorrent. As of this afternoon it is a proven fact that Ched raped this woman. He is to blame for his actions and no one else. He must also live with the consequences which include no longer being an employee of the club among many more important consequences. The language of standing by him, the disgusting implication being he has somehow been unlucky, is plainly wrong. It's done, he's gone, we move on and his victim lives with this every day of her life. Get some perspective.
Some of the comments here are abhorrent. As of this afternoon it is a proven fact that Ched raped this woman. He is to blame for his actions and no one else. He must also live with the consequences which include no longer being an employee of the club among many more important consequences. The language of standing by him, the disgusting implication being he has somehow been unlucky, is plainly wrong. It's done, he's gone, we move on and his victim lives with this every day of her life. Get some perspective.

Yes, he has been found guilty but I don't quite get how one guy is guilty and the other is not.....he is appealing so I am not going to judge him until after the appeal result...I have no reason to say this but there is something not quite right in all this...if he is guilty then,then we can't condone his actions....

That was the opinion of the jury - it doesn't mean it is fact (there have been numerous court cases where verdicts have subsequently been overturned after being proven wrong). As several have said, the case just doesn't stack up for me. He's been stupid - no doubt about that - but I still cannot understand how one could be found guilty and the other innocent. The actions & character of the victim are also.....I'd best be careful here.....puzzling.

Personally, I feel sorry for Ched - ast I haven't heard anything to prove beyond doubt that he was guilty. But if he was, of course he deserves everything he gets.

No for me, I thought he was innocent I really did, I've stayed quiet throughout and read everything that has been posted on here and twitter regarding the trial, I am very shocked, however, he is a role model to kids, I don't have any kids but I wouldn't like to be explaining why someone's 'hero' will not playing in red and white again.
I cant see an appeal making much difference as it was 12 out of 12 who thought he was guilty, maybe this CCTV footage that none of us has seen made their decision sway or maybe we haven't heard the full story, either way we will never know the real truth of what went on.
The club now needs to move on from this by terminating his contract in my opinion, and we as fans need to move on by giving Sheffield United FC our full support tomorrow.

Rach, this is certainly voicing my opinion too. I want my kids to support the Blades. To some extent I want the players to become their heroes and someone who has been convicted of any serious crime should not be at a club that calls themselves a 'family' club.

What do you know about the character of the girl involved?

No appeal will find him innocent.
His family asides, he's let down thousands of football supporters who can only dream of earning the sort of money he does. He knew exactly what he was getting involved in.
He's thrown away his career for the sake of drunken bravado.
I just hope the young girl involved can get her life back together.

I know it's not the point of the thread but I find myself wondering; once someone's served their time would you want them back at the club if it was a possibility? Bradders was an ex-con was he not? Does it depend on the crime? Should it depend on the crime?

Sorry didn't mean to offend, just that everything seems to turn to shit for us, we NEVER get any luck. SUFC the worlds unluckest club.

Sorry didn't mean to offend, just that everything seems to turn to shit for us, we NEVER get any luck. SUFC the worlds unluckest club.
I'm sorry for the attitude. Didn't mean to offend. Very frustrating, and yes, it would seem this kind of luck just follows us.

Yeh, sorry just angry and frustrated, lets hope we all feel better after a win tomorrow.

I found myself being totally gutted at hearing the verdict today, as I am sure did so many on here. I very much wanted to believe that he could not have committed this crime, as will his family and his friends.

But the simple fact is this. He did, based on the evidence, commit rape and has been imprisoned. Given the seriousness of his crime he can have no future at Sheffield United.

Agree with most of above.

Evans is history. Only 2 things regarding him concern me now.

1. How will it affect the rest of the players tomorrow?
2. How can I explain to my youngest lad that one of his heroes is not playing tomorrow or ever again?

2. How can I explain to my youngest lad that one of his heroes is not playing tomorrow or ever again?

Me too mate. My 2 year old sang super ched in the car when they picked me up from work. The 6 year old doesnt understand why he cant play anymore.

Me too mate. My 2 year old sang super ched in the car when they picked me up from work. The 6 year old doesnt understand why he cant play anymore.
I've had the same problem with my 6 year old lad. I explained to him that Ched had hurt someone and needed to go prison, but he doesn't really understand. Difficult...

TBH im torn with this.
on the one hand yes hes been convicted of a very serious crime and the punishment meted out comfirms that, but like many others i really just dont understand how the first guy to have sex with her is found not guilty and the second, guilty. did she become more drunk between the two?
i have been drunk like many of you and ive never become more drunk especially after sex which has a sobering effect.
Now if both had been convicted i would totally agree, ched should lose everything, his liberty, his job and in truth the chance to work in professional football for life, but for me personally that one is aquitted and one guilty means one of to things either cheds lawyer wasnt as good as the other guys or theres a lot of stuff we are missing, i think waiting for an appeal wouldnt really hurt the club only make it seem neutral, we can distance ourelves later if need arises, but to drop this young (and stupid lad) before the appeal seems a little premature.
IF he appeals and found not guilty, unlike a certain tixilix addict, i thnk he would show a similar sense of honor and stick with us, however if appeal is lost there should be no time wasted in canceling his contract and comdemning his actons strongly.
as for his wages whilst on remand, would it not be ok to commute his wages until a time he is found guilty/not guilty on appeal.
convicted today yes, but if he's successful on appeal, (darren or pinchy correct me please) the first virdict would be stricken from all records and he could be totally exonerated.
on a side note, what are port vale doing with the other guy?

MunXy

Back
Top Bottom