Souza and wilder

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I was one of the many banging the drum saying we were missing a beat by not exploring the foreign market enough

However.... I'm now starting to accept the reality that we are a working mans club, not a glamour club and perhaps we do just click better when we focus on signings from within these shores.
Within a 5 mile radius of Darnall would be better

Last edited:

I was one of the many banging the drum saying we were missing a beat by not exploring the foreign market enough

However.... I'm now starting to accept the reality that we are a working mans club, not a glamour club and perhaps we do just click better when we focus on signings from within these shores.
We signed Grbic.

Our foreign transfer policy has been arguably the worst in all of World football. Burnley sign good foreign players so it works. We don’t have the scouts / infrastructure to do this. Whatever you need to be good in the foreign market we don’t have.

Why on earth would you want that to continue?

Think you will find they were both recruited from within these shores 😉

If that's all Wilder apparently has, "passion", it was good enough to get us to 9th in the PL with a tiny budget.

Has the game moved on in just a few years? You could get away with passion against Pep and Klopp a few seasons ago, but not anymore?
There is a lot of managers that were good years ago but aren’t now.Are we just going to let him dine out on that 9th place finish for eternity ?

Mourhinio was hottest property in management years ago.He certainly isn’t now.

There is a lot of managers that were good years ago but aren’t now.Are we just going to let him dine out on that 9th place finish for eternity ?

Mourhinio was hottest property in management years ago.He certainly isn’t now.
So was he a good manager years ago or did he just passion his way to 9th like you suggested?

So was he a good manager years ago or did he just passion his way to 9th like you suggested?
Both and he might still be now.But I’ve seen nothing yet to suggest he’s grown as a manager at all the last few years.

And don’t get me started on his post and pre match interviews.He hasn’t once said he needs to improve.Give anel stick yesterday for getting a red but defended holgates horror challenge on mitoma because he was his expensive loan signing.

We signed Grbic.

Our foreign transfer policy has been arguably the worst in all of World football. Burnley sign good foreign players so it works. We don’t have the scouts / infrastructure to do this. Whatever you need to be good in the foreign market we don’t have.

Why on earth would you want that to continue?
Burnley were already better than us last season. They then invested £100m more than us in foreign “talent”, and they’re as shit as us now. I’m not sure they’re an example to follow?

Both and he might still be now.But I’ve seen nothing yet to suggest he’s grown as a manager at all the last few years.

And don’t get me started on his post and pre match interviews.He hasn’t once said he needs to improve.Give anel stick yesterday for getting a red but defended holgates horror challenge on mitoma because he was his expensive loan signing.
He has said that he takes some responsibility multiple times.

Assuming that the reason he gave Anel stick and not Holgate was because it was his signing is just you assuming the worst in everything he does. Could it be that Holgate's was early in the game and an accident, whereas Anel's was on purpose and at full time? Or that Holgate had already taken disproportionate stick about the tackle during the game? Or that Anel was made captain and so better is expected of him? Or that Wilder had just watched Anel give up for the last 20mins of the game as well? Or that we are now fucked for the next game because he's suspended and Holgate can't play against his parent club?

When you say change the “ethos”, can you spell out what that means?

I don’t buy into the idea that we’ve got the wrong one, or really that people know what they mean when they say it.

We can’t afford to compete at the level we’re aiming for. It’s that simple. Pep would fail here, and because of lack of money, nothing else.

All this talk or “ethos” and “culture” is horse shit.

It's the mentality that when we need a new manager they have to have a Blade connection because they get the club.
You just know when Wilder gets the sack there will be calls for Sharp, Montgomery or even Collins to be the new manager.
You have Wilder saying we need leaders which again is something you heard struggling managers in the 80's and 90's say.
When we have a decent footballer we slag them off like Berge.
The "gerrit forward" Blades you hear on the kop.
Fans saying we should have kept Sharp the same Sharp that can not get a game at Championship level.
Fans happy that we aren't playing in the Premiership next season.

Because he’s absolutely horrific.

He was booed for one bad pass.

This isn’t to do with Wilder or any manager. His performances have been terrible. He’s blamed his team mates and he waves his hands all over.

I would never play him again and sell him for any amount I could in the summer.

I was a one man band at the start of the season. Now everyone sees it.
You weren't on your own, I've said he's dog shit all season, he's possibly played half decent twice.
He doesn't want to be here, as well as a few others, Wilder says he has players that don't want to be here in every interview, and I believe Anel and Hamer are 2 others.

It's the mentality that when we need a new manager they have to have a Blade connection because they get the club.
You just know when Wilder gets the sack there will be calls for Sharp, Montgomery or even Collins to be the new manager.
You have Wilder saying we need leaders which again is something you heard struggling managers in the 80's and 90's say.
When we have a decent footballer we slag them off like Berge.
The "gerrit forward" Blades you hear on the kop.
Fans saying we should have kept Sharp the same Sharp that can not get a game at Championship level.
Fans happy that we aren't playing in the Premiership next season.
It’s a myth - the club isn’t remotely based on this. Hardly any of our managers have been local - it just so happens that the few we’ve had have actually been up there with the most successful, which really doesn’t back your point.

The fans absolutely loved Ndiaye, Gibbs White, Doyle, Macatee, Currie, Woodward. Again, it’s a total myth that they don’t respect quality footballers. It also happens that they respect graft, and footballers with heart. It would be the same everywhere.

The only ethos that needs to change is some of our fans perception of their own fans.

It’s a myth - the club isn’t remotely based on this. Hardly any of our managers have been local - it just so happens that the few we’ve had have actually been up there with the most successful, which really doesn’t back your point.

The fans absolutely loved Ndiaye, Gibbs White, Doyle, Macatee, Currie, Woodward. Again, it’s a total myth that they don’t respect quality footballers. It also happens that they respect graft, and footballers with heart. It would be the same everywhere.

The only ethos that needs to change is some of our fans perception of their own fans.
So 8 out of our last 14 managers have had Blade connections before being appointment manager but that's a myth.
I agree fans loved those players as I did well most of them didn't really see Currie and Woodward was only towards the end of his career with us.
That is still only a small number in over 50 years of football how many good footballers have we slagged off because they don't show passion like Berge even MacAtee is getting some now, I even remember Sabella getting it even though he had more skill in his little finger than someone like Booker, Montgomery, Gannon, etc.

I think when Wilder first arrived it seemed like he thought he could get tune out of Souza but bar that impressive performance away at Luton he couldn't get much out of him.

Since then Wilder has given up on him and it's not helped with what Souza has said in the press. Even though Souza had been asked the question about the Brazil team, he should have not answered it at all really.

So 8 out of our last 14 managers have had Blade connections before being appointment manager but that's a myth.
I agree fans loved those players as I did well most of them didn't really see Currie and Woodward was only towards the end of his career with us.
That is still only a small number in over 50 years of football how many good footballers have we slagged off because they don't show passion like Berge even MacAtee is getting some now, I even remember Sabella getting it even though he had more skill in his little finger than someone like Booker, Montgomery, Gannon, etc.
Can you name the 8 out of the 14 (my memory is failing me)?

And I do hope you’re not including the likes of Heckinbottom (cheap choice, not wanted by the fans) or Steve Bruce (just happed to play a few games for us) in your number, which would suggest you’re really struggling to make your point.

It’s a balance though isn’t it. A team full of grafters with low skill levels has a low ceiling for achieving stuff but at the same time a team full of highly skilled players with a lower work ethic doesn’t work either. If you look at Manchester City even their really skilful players put a shift in or they’re not in the team. Yes I know that comparing ourselves to them is hardly like for like but the basic argument holds. I loved Ndiaye not just because he was skilful but because he worked hard out of possession. It’s nothing to do with British or otherwise it’s having that work ethic no matter what your skill levels that make successful teams.

Wilder x 2
Heckingbottom
Warnock
Adams
Speed
Morgan (scrapping Barrel I know)
Blackwell
I didn’t include Bruce or Spackman

We are far from unique in having a lot of ex-players and coaches as managers.
We are not unique. But it rarely ever brings sustained success. Arteta is looking a bit of an outlier in that respect, but he learned from Pep.

Back
Top Bottom