Southampton line up?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

blade67

Reaction score
We have a quite a few players ready for some series minutes and it's a good opportunity to have some of them play in the formation we seem to have settled on. It would be good to see Stevens get some game time, as a 2019 Stevens would be first choice in this team. There is also a case for Lopata at CB as well, to see how he copes against Southampton reserves.

Fodderingham

Bogle - Basham - Robinson - Stevens

Norwood - Berge/Fleck

Ndayie - Brewster - Freeman

Mcburnie

We have a quite a few players ready for some series minutes and it's a good opportunity to have some of them play in the formation we seem to have settled on. It would be good to see Stevens get some game time, as a 2019 Stevens would be first choice in this team. There is also a case for Lopata at CB as well, to see how he copes against Southampton reserves.

Fodderingham

Norwood - Berge/Fleck

Mcburnie
christmas-cheer.gif

IMO we need to give ourselves the best chance of winning whilst resting some players.

I would go:

Olsen - needs to keep playing
Bogle
Basham
Davies - not played enough
Steven’s - if fit
Hourihane - needs to keep playing
Norwood - to keep him ticking over as I wouldn’t start him against Derby
Burke - I really don’t rate him but he’s fast and pace can hurt Prem teams
Freeman
Brewster - needs to find form
McBurnie - only real viable alternative

Think they'll be there for the taking on Tuesday. Don't think anyone that played at City yesterday will start and they've got a winnable game next weekend at home to wolves they'll want to save the legs for.

Olsen

Bogle
Bash
Lopata
Stevens (if fit)

Norwood
Guedioura

N'Diaye
Freeman
Burke

Mcburnie

Olsen
Bogle Basham Lopata RND
Norwood Fleck
Ndiaye McBurnie Freeman
Burke
A possible thought to have Bash in midfield. If they play a strong enough 11, will need someone to press. Think Burke would give them more probs than Brewster ( sigh). Have Ndiaye off by the hour ideally.

IMO we need to give ourselves the best chance of winning whilst resting some players.

I would go:

Bogle
Basham
Steven’s - if fit
Freeman
I agree with the majority. But unlike a lot of pace Burkes can’t hurt Prem teams.

I want to see:

Bogle - to hopefully have a great game, be a threat in the final 3rd and try to dislodge baldock (as much as I love him) if we are gonna play ‘score one more than you’ we need threats from all over the pitch.

Lopata - I want to see him dominate a premier league striker and distribute well and play out of the back successfully. He can either dislodge Davies or be on standby as the go-to if either egan or Davies get injured or suspended and then hopefully not give up the shirt.

Freeman - I just like to see him playing football, and wouldn’t it be great if he’s so good he’s knocking on the door of the first 11 or really changing games off the bench.

Brewster - I want to see him keep shooting from the areas he is doing. I’d love to see him score one against these, as I think more will follow. Needs a goal, needs some confidence.

The rest, whoever. I don’t mind.

For me, to be brutally honest, a game against a PL side, irrespective of their starting 11 is something we really don't need at this stage. For me we need to prove ourselves against Champ sides, formation tactics shape, whatever, as we are still in recovery from a very fragile state.
Slav will have his own take on this, just as other posters on here will, yes we've got them to play but let's not bust a gut, save that for the Championship

I would go:

Bogle
Basham
Steven’s - if fit
Freeman
Is Moose anywhere near a return???

I honestly think that lad has mental health issues that should take priority before a return to football..
While no doubt well intentioned, I don't think speculating that someone has mental health issues is particularly helpful to anyone! Aside from anything, he looked motivated and happy enough at the start of the season and was just unlucky with an injury. A fit Moose (as fantastical as that may be) would be a huge boost for our front line.

While no doubt well intentioned, I don't think speculating that someone has mental health issues is particularly helpful to anyone! Aside from anything, he looked motivated and happy enough at the start of the season and was just unlucky with an injury. A fit Moose (as fantastical as that may be) would be a huge boost for our front line.
Be great to see him back in time for the Bournemouth game, revved up and firing on all cylinders (no pun, honest).
Having said that, he's got a job on displacing Billy at this point of the season

I wouldn’t be playing Ndiaye, save him for Derby which looks like being a tough game.

Olson
Bogle Basham Lopota Robinson (stevens?)
Adelene. Slater
Burke Brewster Freeman
Mcburnie

I couldn’t give a fuck who he plays when where and how TBH. Slav has a proven track record of getting teams promoted to the premier league, he knows what he’s doing, I trust him to get on with it and manage cup games as appropriate for the situation.

I have a proven track record of standing in the Kop, going mental when we score and committing several section 4 public order offences when the other fuckers score.

He can get on with his job and I’ll get on with mine.

Olsen
Bogle
Lopata
Basham
RND
Norwood
Fleck
Adelene
Freeman
Brewster
McBurnie

Unpopular opinion:

I want us to really go for this and play our best team and progress as far as we can in this competition.

Presuming kop will be closed again and this won't be available on a stream or SUFC TV?

I wouldn’t be playing Ndiaye, save him for Derby which looks like being a tough game.

Olson
Bogle Basham Lopota Robinson (stevens?)
Adelene. Slater
Burke Brewster Freeman
Mcburnie
I was going to more or less post the same.

Southampton are going to change their team which gives us a chance, though I think the advantage we have, which is probably why we got relegated (!) is that we have quite a number of players of similar ability. It's looking like MGW is emerging from this pack as the 'must have' and N'Diaye has shown early promise, the rest feel relatively interchangeable.

This would seem a vital match for a few because this could be the last first team football for a while. So they have the added carrot to keep us in the competition.

Along with you, I see very much a 'something to prove'/'where is my next game coming' XI:

Foderingham
Bogle Basham Lopota Robinson
Brunt Adelene/Slater
Burke Brewster Freeman
Mcburnie

For Lopata and Brunt, even Slater for that matter they could always go to non league until Jan to sharpen their skills over playing for the U23s, unless the first team need them. Lopata maybe?

For the more senior ones like Burke, it looks a difficult path back in.

In fairness to Robinson, he isn't a centre half by trade so giving him a chance to show his ability as a genuine left back, with Stevens coming back and RND still to convince, may give him a way back in.

It still looks a decent team. 3 of the front 4 at a point in the last 2 full seasons have been club record signings and Burke swapped out for the other one.

It would seem only fair to me to retain Brunt and Lopata in the starting XI and then it is a toss of a coin on Slater making a needed comeback appearance or Guedioura getting some valuable minutes in and possibly giving the team some experience.

Bogle also needs game time and though not his preferred side he may well actually be the best alternative left back option, having performed well away at Man U.

I'd be happy with with that side. 7 of them played in the Premier League for us in the past 2 years, so no mugs there.

Olsen
Bogle Basham Lopata Robinson
Freeman Norwood Guediora Burke
Brewster McBurnie

RND needs more game time, as does Brewster, and whatever we do don’t rest Fleck, we’ve only just got the old Fleck back, he must play every game whilst in this kind of form otherwise he might drop off again and return to Jimmy.

Fodderingham

Norwood - Berge/Fleck

Mcburnie

I'd go with this team with just one change. I'd prefer us to put a traffic cone on the pitch instead of Robinson to give us an even better chance.

Because we have League games Sat/Tue/Sat to follow before that break which are a little bit more important than the mickey mouse cup?
True but so far we have used at least 15 players in the starting line up, so even if you ignore subs a full strength side can be rotated for those matches and still give us the chance of progressing in the cup.

I would go:

Bogle
Basham
Steven’s - if fit
Freeman
Might as well not play McNugget cant score for love nor money

Back
Top Bottom