Someone to talk about Chengdu Blades?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Beautiful Downtown Sheffield United it is then!
It may be because Chengdu football has been away from the Chinese Super League for too long, and now the team's ranking is also not bad, so that there are more fans. I don't know how long this hot scene can last.

I thought Chengdu Blades were just a D H Gate version of the real thing, but its a real team!

Firstly not sure what’s going on but regardless IM IN!!

Secondly Welcome Gavin

Chengdu Blades FC disbanded after the 2014 season. China lacked football soil, and few soccer-loving entrepreneurs invested money in football clubs. Sometimes the government would look for companies to invest in football, but entrepreneurs were all for profit, they would talk to the government about profit first, but the government's promises were often not fulfilled. Gradually no one invested in football.
In 2018, a new team called Chengdu Better City established. Its new name is Chengdu Rongcheng. They were 5th in 2022 Chinese super league.
I absolutely love that kit!

I was working in Beijing for half a year back in 2006, but never got to Chengdu, although a colleague of mine was working in the Chengdu office and went along to a couple of matches. A few pics he sent below and brief match report here:

"I went to watch the Blades on Saturday and they won 1-0 against Qingdao. The standard was not too high, though there were some skillful players and the winning goal was a real peach. Visiting team was dirty as hell, and one guy in particular should have been sent off about four times but wasn't. Three times he blatantly took out a Cdu player with an elbow to the throat and was also roughly manhandling the ref quite frequently. There were a couple of guys from Sheff over who organised the half-time penalty competition. One seemed to be a coach of some kind but I couldn't make out his name over the crappy PA."

IMG_9537.JPG
IMG_9539.JPG
IMG_9541.JPG

My Mum bought me the red Chengdu shirt when it came out, it's somewhere in a storage bag in the house. I also went to see them when they played at the Lane, sat on the away end for the first and only time.
I picked the yellow one up for a fiver from a big blades store clearance sale they held in the platinum suite. Got a full club tracksuit for a tenner. Get a fair few knowing comments on the Chengdu shirt when it gets worn to 5 a side.

Went to the game v Chengdu at the lane. Absolutely mental they had everyone on the bottom tier of the BL. Made it til half time then spent the 2nd half in The Sheldon, as did quite a few others.

I was working in Beijing for half a year back in 2006, but never got to Chengdu, although a colleague of mine was working in the Chengdu office and went along to a couple of matches. A few pics he sent below and brief match report here:

"I went to watch the Blades on Saturday and they won 1-0 against Qingdao. The standard was not too high, though there were some skillful players and the winning goal was a real peach. Visiting team was dirty as hell, and one guy in particular should have been sent off about four times but wasn't. Three times he blatantly took out a Cdu player with an elbow to the throat and was also roughly manhandling the ref quite frequently. There were a couple of guys from Sheff over who organised the half-time penalty competition. One seemed to be a coach of some kind but I couldn't make out his name over the crappy PA."

View attachment 170517
View attachment 170518
View attachment 170519
Sheaf motors? What?

View attachment 170517
View attachment 170518
View attachment 170519
This was a game in 2006. In 2007, Chengdu Blades played match-fixing with the same team, which was an indirect reason for the disband of the team.

If a random foreign football club took over Sheffield United, changed the name, the kit, the badge, the identity, I would be angry and would question my support for the "new team".

So, as a United fan, I was always against these takeovers and rebrands of other clubs. Just so Anti-Football.

So ... question ... what did fans of "old Chengdu" feel when "we" ripped up their identity?

(btw United World are still at this - most recently with Calicut Quartz FC)

If a random foreign football club took over Sheffield United, changed the name, the kit, the badge, the identity, I would be angry and would question my support for the "new team".

So, as a United fan, I was always against these takeovers and rebrands of other clubs. Just so Anti-Football.

So ... question ... what did fans of "old Chengdu" feel when "we" ripped up their identity?

(btw United World are still at this - most recently with Calicut Quartz FC)
I understand your meaning, but I rarely heard of a boycott of Scarborough.
For me, I watched football since 2006 and followed Chengdu Blades since 2007. Therefore, Chengdu Blades was my original understanding of Chengdu football.
For the elder fans, at that time, the former sponsor was wanting to quit for a long time, they held up toughly just because the government couldn't find a new one to take over the club. Therefore, Scarborough was seen as a savior possibly. They did not change the color of the team since the traditional color of Chengdu professional football was red. Another reason was that the history of Chinese professional football (since 1994) was too short for the football culture to accumulate. Even though we are always defending the tradition of Chengdu football nowadays, people did not seem to have this awareness at that time.

For me, I watched football since 2006 and followed Chengdu Blades since 2007. Therefore, Chengdu Blades was my original understanding of Chengdu football.
For the elder fans, at that time, the former sponsor was wanting to quit for a long time, they held up toughly just because the government couldn't find a new one to take over the club. Therefore, Scarborough was seen as a savior possibly. They did not change the color of the team since the traditional color of Chengdu professional football was red. Another reason was that the history of Chinese professional football (since 1994) was too short for the football culture to accumulate. Even though we are always defending the tradition of Chengdu football nowadays, people did not seem to have this awareness at that time.
Sounds a bit like Wednesday then, with their holding company being incoprorated in 1990, somewhat conveniently.

Last edited:
Who did you feel owned Chengdu Blades?
McCabe?
Scarborough Ltd?
Sheffield United?

Back
Top Bottom