Sky Sports Sun 18/2/24 aka the Luton love in

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The Bear

Reaction score
Jeez been watching since 1pm and 30 out of the 40 mins elapsed so far has been about Luton ffs.

They're not playing till later so how about the love in before their game and not ours? Now for the Brighton orgy zzzzzzzz At least they are the opposition.

We win today and they lose and we are just 4 points behind them

Brighton think we are going to come at them nope we won’t

Luton at least served up 90mins of entertainment for the neutrals, with the result in the balance until the last kick. As the have done most of the season.

Most of our games lately are over after 25 minutes.

Don’t see how we can complain, we’re barely contributing anything to the league at the moment, even though we’re not miles away in terms of points. We were saying all the same things about Norwich in 19/20.

Luton at least served up 90mins of entertainment for the neutrals, with the result in the balance until the last kick. As the have done most of the season.

Most of our games lately are over after 25 minutes.

Don’t see how we can complain, we’re barely contributing anything to the league at the moment, even though we’re not miles away in terms of points. We were saying all the same things about Norwich in 19/20.
Norwich were trying to play pretty football and were losing because of it. We are not playing pretty football and still losing badly.

No entertainment and no results. Not an ideal combo.

They're a small club playing extremely well in the EPL. Neutrals are interested them. It's a great story. Meanwhile we were nailed on for another loss to the point they were provably regretting choosing the game. It's no shock.

When we had our first season back in the Prem, they were obsessed with us, our great style of play, our blade management and captain. There's no agenda against us on sky or MOTD. We're just not very interesting.

It's increasingly obvious sky have a pretty basic approach when covering promoted teams. If any of the three promoted teams are 'new' to the premier league (in that they haven't been in it for a while), then they are going to get more favourable coverage and plaudits (especially if the other 2 are yoyo clubs), almost irrespective of whether they're actually any good. There are 2 basic objectives to this. One is to hopefully ingratiate sky to a new set of customers who may not have bothered with sky subscriptions before but now might in order to hear their team get praised every week. The other is to continue to convince your bog-standard premier league fan that the league really is an exciting, unpredictable and thrilling rollercoaster of a competition rather than the largely predetermined, hopelessly unbalanced and stagnant farce that it actually is.

In 2019 it was Sheffield United and overlapping centrebacks from league 1 to get the plaudits. In 2020 it was Leeds 'breath of fresh air' United with Marcelo Biesla. In 2021 Business Model FC stepped up and out business-modelled everyone. This season it's Plucky Luton "you have to go through a house to get in the ground!" Town. Ideally the chosen team will actually perform well enough to justify at least some of the attention but if not, it's not the end of the world. And if there is no brand new promoted team or they're so dreadfully woeful as to be hard to praise then the focus will shift to some new former-player manager all the pundits can praise as they continue to look out for the next ex-man utd boss.

(This post is not to take away from what Luton have achieved this season which is admirable. Nor is it to excuse the lack of praise we get because we don't really deserve any, seeing as we are so relentlessly shite. This is just because I'm pissed off with the result and Sky have pissed me off further by putting too much Lee Hendrie on my screen).

Norwich were trying to play pretty football and were losing because of it. We are not playing pretty football and still losing badly.

No entertainment and no results. Not an ideal combo.
I promise you, trying to play pretty football and losing badly is no more entertaining than playing rubbish football and losing badly. There was no entertainment for the Burnley fan in watching our "pretty football" lose 5-0 than there was for you watching yourselves lose 5-0.

We could end up being a bit more interesting fairly soon.
13 games to go and we need to concede just a paltry 25 more goals to be crowned the worst ever team in the PL (over 38 matches) for goals against.
See, you lot thought the season was finished, didn't you???
Believe! We can do it. There's ALWAYS something to play for!
utb

I promise you, trying to play pretty football and losing badly is no more entertaining than playing rubbish football and losing badly. There was no entertainment for the Burnley fan in watching our "pretty football" lose 5-0 than there was for you watching yourselves lose 5-0.
I don’t know. Both are shit but watching your team do nothing but chase the ball all game only to lose it within 1 or 2 passes of getting it back is a whole different type of shit than when your team is at least trying with the ball. One is a more pathetic version than the other. Its scary the amount of times our possession stats have been about 20% this season. Basically spend 90 mins watching the opposition have a training game while we pump the ball back to them when they lose it.

I don’t know. Both are shit but watching your team do nothing but chase the ball all game only to lose it within 1 or 2 passes of getting it back is a whole different type of shit than when your team is at least trying with the ball. One is a more pathetic version than the other. Its scary the amount of times our possession stats have been about 20% this season. Basically spend 90 mins watching the opposition have a training game while we pump the ball back to them when they lose it.
This

Maybe. Perhaps we could swap season tickets for a game or two! Burnley go five or six or ten passes before giving the ball away in our own half; at least you give it away in the opposition half which gives the defence time to reorganise. (OK, "defence" and "reorganise" are perhaps the wrong words to choose!)

The best thing about this season is that it is two-thirds over. Here's to relegation!

Maybe. Perhaps we could swap season tickets for a game or two! Burnley go five or six or ten passes before giving the ball away in our own half; at least you give it away in the opposition half which gives the defence time to reorganise. (OK, "defence" and "reorganise" are perhaps the wrong words to choose!)

The best thing about this season is that it is two-thirds over. Here's to relegation!
I haven’t been to any of the games this season. Last game was man city at wembley which was an insight into this season for me. A thoroughly un-enjoyable day. Where we touched the ball about 3 times all game. I live down near london so the travel time and costs are too high for such crap performances. It’s hard enough watching them at home but the thought of wasting £150-£200 on top of that doesn’t appeal. Hats off to all those that do travel 5hrs+ for it, thats not for me.

I’ve watched a fair few burnley games this season, including your game against arsenal at the weekend and whilst both are absolutely crap at least there was glimpses of footballing ability on show in your game. Players with technical ability who don’t panic so easily. You also have a fair few exciting players who try and run at the oppo as well and can carry it. Koleosho, Amdouni, Fofana, Odobert, Vitinho, Benson, Berge, Foster, Ramsey & Larsen. We have Mcatee, Archer and Hamer.

Statistically speaking you are a way above us in basically every metric (apart from pts). Both diabolical defensively, but you can at least pass and attack which we don’t really have. So count yourself lucky. 😅😅

Luton have played really well and consistently given teams games With probably the only squad assembled for less money and lower wages than ours.

If we didn’t shit the bed and embarrass ourselves every time we played and conceded 4/5 goals over and over again we might get some praise.

Luton are punching above their weight while we seem content to punch ourselves in the face. We have contributed NOTHING to this PL season and I’d go as far as to say we are a net negative to the PL brand in terms of excitement or entertainment. Though I suppose we could still concede double figures in a game - something to strive for

Luton have played really well and consistently given teams games With probably the only squad assembled for less money and lower wages than ours.

If we didn’t shit the bed and embarrass ourselves every time we played and conceded 4/5 goals over and over again we might get some praise.

Luton are punching above their weight while we seem content to punch ourselves in the face.
They have spent about 10-15% (net) of what we have on transfers over the last 5 years. Obviously thats because they were at a lower level but absolutely incredible achievement considering. I would swap squads in an instant.

They have spent about 10-15% (net) of what we have on transfers over the last 5 years. Obviously thats because they were at a lower level but absolutely incredible achievement considering. I would swap squads in an instant.

I’d swap recruitment teams in an instant

Luton have signed players that have bought in AND contributed - not sure they would have touched a busted flush like Mason (more red cards than good games in the last 3 seasons) Holgate with a barge pole.

I’d swap recruitment teams in an instant

Luton have signed players that have bought in AND contributed - not sure they would have touched a busted flush like Mason (more red cards than good games in the last 3 seasons) Holgate with a barge pole.
Ross Barkley was a busted flush n'all. It's a gamble and it paid off for them, just like Duffy and Didsy did for us.

Back
Top Bottom