Sir Geoff returns to Bramall Lane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Silent Blade

Reaction score

It was in 1970 when I started reading cricket news, watched cricket on TV (usually with my twin uncles when I was visiting my grandmother in Hartley Brook Road). I was a bit interested in Yorkshire and England but more interested in finding out how many runs Geoff Boycott had scored. I was disappointed that he didnt play in the 1971 match between Yorkshire and Worcestershire at Bramall Lane. My twin uncles took me there for the first day.

I was aware that Geoff refused to play for England under Mike Denness' captaincy in 1974 but I got more interested in cricket since the Prudential World Cup in 1975. Persuaded my dad (he had no interest in cricket) to take me to watch Derbyshire v Australians at Queens Park in 1975 and against the West Indians in 1976. I was very pleased that Geoff returned to play for England in 1977 despite running Derek Randall out in his comeback but he battled on to score a slow scoring century. Saw Wayne Daniel getting 3 Yorkshire batsmen retired hurt in the first day of Yorkshire v Middlesex at Abbeydale in 1977 (Boycott didnt play cos he was to play for England in the next day)

Eventually the first time I saw Geoff was when he got a hundred against Glamorgan at Abbeydale in 1978

The summer of 1963, I was at a school 6th form dinner at the Kenwood Hotel, at the same time as Yorkshire were playing a County match at the Lane. They were based at the Kenwood, and while the majority of them just wanted to eat and drink beer, a young Boycott got those of us who claimed to play cricket to bowl at him on the lawn there. I would love to say that he could not cope with my occasional off-breaks, but he treated every delivery with total seriousness and I don’t think he played a false shot during a long session. A truly professional sportsman.

The summer of 1963, I was at a school 6th form dinner at the Kenwood Hotel, at the same time as Yorkshire were playing a County match at the Lane. They were based at the Kenwood, and while the majority of them just wanted to eat and drink beer, a young Boycott got those of us who claimed to play cricket to bowl at him on the lawn there. I would love to say that he could not cope with my occasional off-breaks, but he treated every delivery with total seriousness and I don’t think he played a false shot during a long session. A truly professional sportsman.
Saw Boycotts 1st big innings from my usual spot on the the uncovered area on the kop.
We were struggling reit 4 down with just 40 odd on the board when Sir Geoffrey came to the crease.He and I think Brian Stott or mayhave been Ken Taylor (memory a bit dim) when they were parted late in the days play they had put on in the region of 3 hundred runs ,60 years ago so things a bit dim.
He never looked back from there having been a bit part player until then , I think he was either 23 or 24 at the time saw his break through time was a bit later than Joe Root who came to the for at a younger age.

Saw Boycotts 1st big innings from my usual spot on the the uncovered area on the kop.
We were struggling reit 4 down with just 40 odd on the board when Sir Geoffrey came to the crease.He and I think Brian Stott or mayhave been Ken Taylor (memory a bit dim) when they were parted late in the days play they had put on in the region of 3 hundred runs ,60 years ago so things a bit dim.
He never looked back from there having been a bit part player until then , I think he was either 23 or 24 at the time saw his break through time was a bit later than Joe Root who came to the for at a younger age.
And in that era, he was a batsman who was a poor fielder and didn’t bowl. He learnt to be a decent fielder, and became a useful part-time bowler with medium pace ‘wobblers’. The only think he didn’t work at was personal relationships with team-mates🤣

And in that era, he was a batsman who was a poor fielder and didn’t bowl. He learnt to be a decent fielder, and became a useful part-time bowler with medium pace ‘wobblers’. The only think he didn’t work at was personal relationships with team-mates🤣
Didnt take his cap off when he bowled!

1699004121420.png

June 1963, the partnership was with Brian Stott was 249 and a Yorkshire record I think.

Scorecard:

Totally focused on his batting at the expense of team play that probably held him back initially. That big score at the Lane meant he couldn't be left out any longer ! The rest is well documented.

Cric-keeet!

Legend Sir Geoff. Never saw him bat in person, just on the telly.

I remember when he got done for assaulting his wife. Not good, I know, but I remember some wag at the time saying it must have took him 3 weeks of little jabs and prods 🤣. I'll probably get done for saying that now but it did make me titter at the time, notwithstanding the seriousness of the matter.

Back
Top Bottom