Singing Section at the lane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disagree Foxy, if you're a young teenage lad, why would you bother following United - you're spread out at the back of the Kop struggling to get an atmosphere going and constantly getting harassed by stewards.

If the young lads want to jump around together, like many a generation of young lads at football have done for decades before, why not let them do it on the BLLT. Hey if they get some flags, banners etc like the Jorvik Reds and others I'm all for it.

My preference is for "reopening" H-Block as that was a proper singing section, but its never going to happen. Let the young 'uns have their fun.

No one's stopping them all getting together and getting tickets somewhere though.

Afaik, SUFC have never stopped any season ticket holder swapping their seats for somewhere else in the ground on a match-by-match basis. There's nowt to stop the ones who want to sing organising themselves to get tickets on the upper tier or summat.

But pissing and moaning at the club on an internet forum is a lot easier than pulling your finger out.

No one's stopping them all getting together and getting tickets somewhere though.

Afaik, SUFC have never stopped any season ticket holder swapping their seats for somewhere else in the ground on a match-by-match basis. There's nowt to stop the ones who want to sing organising themselves to get tickets on the upper tier or summat.

But pissing and moaning at the club on an internet forum is a lot easier than pulling your finger out.

To be honest they put us lot on here to shame, at least they tried something proactive to resolve a perceived problem. I don't think you can criticise them for that.

To be honest they put us lot on here to shame, at least they tried something proactive to resolve a perceived problem. I don't think you can criticise them for that.

No, but you can criticise them for their manner towards other fans. There would perhaps have been more sympathy and support had they not castigated everyone on this forum as "not proper supporters of the club" and been so vocal in getting at other Blades at away matches. What gives them the right to turn round and call someone "shit"?

That kind of thing tends to annoy Unitedites who have been watching the club home and away since before some of these kiddies were born.

Time and time again, I have said that I have no problem with the idea of a singing section. I do have a problem with the "better than you" attitude of some of its advocates though and I wouldn't be surprised if that had turned the club off too.

It's now up to them if they want to do something, not the club.

It isn't hard to buy tickets in bulk. Even I have managed it in the past. And I'm just a girl...

Disagree Foxy, if you're a young teenage lad, why would you bother following United - you're spread out at the back of the Kop struggling to get an atmosphere going and constantly getting harassed by stewards.

Believe it or not, in the recent past, I was a young teenage lad doing exactly the same.

Yes you get harassed by stewards at times and you have to learn how to play them (especially away from home), but any "singing section" will have stewards equally as intense or perhaps even more so.

We never had a problem home or away doing exactly what we wanted to do, we always managed to sit/stand together and we always made plenty of noise.

What we didn't do is disrespect the rest of the Blades in the crowd or think we were any better/more deserving than them.

If the young lads want to jump around together, like many a generation of young lads at football have done for decades before, why not let them do it on the BLLT. Hey if they get some flags, banners etc like the Jorvik Reds and others I'm all for it.

My preference is for "reopening" H-Block as that was a proper singing section, but its never going to happen. Let the young 'uns have their fun.

They can do it wherever they are now, without designating a new section. What's so magical about the lower tier that means they can suddenly make noise/have fun? The only real difference is that it's all currently undesignated with no-one having bought tickets. This would change as soon as tickets went on sale. Besided, with the mass impression that there's going to be plenty of season tickets left unrenewed next year, theres plenty of space in the rest of the ground is there not?

I haven't got a problem at all with trying something new, my main concerns are the attitude I've witnessed first hand from a number of the more vocal "singing section" advocates and the division/derision it's likely to cause.

As I said, we always managed it, what's different now that we need special dispensation, a section, unreserved seating and cheaper tickets?

as if there gonna stop people on kop using bad language. There be more then half of the kop need telling off or kicked out! "if you where a yellow jacket your a c**t!" nor other ground does this.

Where ... were ... wear ...
There ... They're ...

English is such a difficult language isn't it?

Dummies can go back in.

The section has just been moved to the Kop.

LINKY

Sheffield United's trial of a designated singing section at Bramall Lane has been switched.

The area of the ground to be used at the game against Coventry City (10th April) will be a section in The Kop instead of the lower tier of the Halliwells Stand.

Operations Director Simon Argall said a number of factors had led to the switch. He said:

"We have listened to additional comments from our fans concerning pricing, looked at the low advanced sales, and also the further advice given by the Safety Advisory group, and on balance we recognise that this initiative would be better supported on The Kop.

"Anyone who has purchased tickets to be in the singing section planned for the Halliwells lower tier will be contacted by the club and we will make arrangements for those fans to be re-seated in the Kop singing area, or refunded if necessary," added Simon.

The Club's move to consider a designated singing section followed calls from supporters to test the idea. The trial will take place with the objective of monitoring its success and possibly introducing it next season.

Any current season ticket holders who wish to be involved may move their seats into the area for this game. Individual match day tickets may also be purchased for this game in this section. Normal rules apply.

No, but you can criticise them for their manner towards other fans. There would perhaps have been more sympathy and support had they not castigated everyone on this forum as "not proper supporters of the club" and been so vocal in getting at other Blades at away matches. What gives them the right to turn round and call someone "shit"?

That kind of thing tends to annoy Unitedites who have been watching the club home and away since before some of these kiddies were born.

Time and time again, I have said that I have no problem with the idea of a singing section. I do have a problem with the "better than you" attitude of some of its advocates though and I wouldn't be surprised if that had turned the club off too.

It's now up to them if they want to do something, not the club.

It isn't hard to buy tickets in bulk. Even I have managed it in the past. And I'm just a girl...

But that wasn't my point, surely not all of the fans who want to sing are like that, I don't think that attitude is across the board.

I think you're correct there is a polarisation of the support in some respects. But I expect the young lads probably think all other Blades are exactly like the people who post on message boards and/or the miserable old duffers who ring up Praise or Grumble stating they hate Blackwell because he ties his left shoelaces up before his right. The reality is that they're not representative at all.

Generally though I'm pleased the board has acquiesced on this point. I see no problem in it in principle as at least its someone being pro-active about addressing the atmosphere.

Was there actually a singing section today? Serious question as sat in the BLUT it was hard to hear anything, a couple of very quiet songs, a relatively muted cheer when score from Boro was shown and that was about it.

Was there actually a singing section today? Serious question as sat in the BLUT it was hard to hear anything, a couple of very quiet songs, a relatively muted cheer when score from Boro was shown and that was about it.

Was it in the top left hand corner of the kop? Gotta say I don't really see much harm in continuing it, if it means like minded people can get together in a very remote part of the ground then great.

Good idea from united having it back there, it keeps all the riff-raff and ruffians out of the way allowing the rest of us to watch the match in peace.

Good idea from united having it back there, it keeps all the riff-raff and ruffians out of the way allowing the rest of us to watch the match in peace.

Weren't you one of the ones that wanted it GC88?

It does seem as though the people who were part of it were put out of the way.

I sit on the other side of the kop about 2/5 of the way up and heard them in the second half quite clearly whilst the rest of the kop and the ground was quite quiet.

The people who were there seem to have enjoyed being a part of it, the people who want to criticise it can say they didn't hear them, it's segregating our own fans etc so everyone is happy.

If the club don't continue it hopefully the people who were there will stay there and carry on trying to create a sustained atmosphere rather than spontaneous or reactive(to performance) chanting. If the club do continue to help out then credit to them for trying to improve and help the support on the kop and hopefully over time it will get better and there be no need for it - it clearly means something to people 'high up' in the club to hear united fans supporting the team and hopefully today was the start of something positive.

Fair play to the singing section today. Much better atmosphere than at any similar recent fixture at the Lane.

It does seem as though the people who were part of it were put out of the way.

I don't have a problem with it GC88, but I also don't think it will be do a lot of good in the long term because it segregates fans.

Over the years the back of the kop has created the atmosphere and there was never any need for this before. But because (naturally) the atmosphere has depleted due to lack of quality on the pitch, some fans and the club feel the need to try things, fair play. If it worked today then fine and long may it continue. I guess it shows that it didn't really work if you're on the other side of the kop and clearly heard it.

My opinion is get rid of the piped music for the GCB, get rid of the goal music and get rid of the words to the GCB and the atmosphere will be created by the fans.

I'm with Coops fair play to them, although this "the club are all against us" crap. Correct me if I'm wrong but these guys couldn't get it organised on their own and until the club actually sorted it out for them it was going no where.

I was in my usual position at the back of gangway B, so was just at the side of singing section. It made the atmosphere so much better at the back of the Kop up in that corner. However, it didn't really get going much further along for some reason. I think it's a good idea anyway, it made a pretty dull game more exciting and there was no trouble within the section.

I'm with Coops fair play to them, although this "the club are all against us" crap. Correct me if I'm wrong but these guys couldn't get it organised on their own and until the club actually sorted it out for them it was going no where.

That's correct.

It would have been good for everyone to just get tickets on the same gangway but didn't happen so the club have to be given some credit for trialling it In what was typical end of season match.

I was there in gangway A today. To say it's the first time it's been tried and considering the fact that it was a nothing game, it was a success and will only grow and improve as time goes on. The club have got to look at bringing this in next season.

It's not segregating fans at all. There's no bad feelings towards anyone who doesn't want to join in. All it's about is getting a group of like minded fans together who want to improve the atmosphere. Before today it's been difficult because they're all in different parts of the ground surrounded by fans who don't contribute to the atmosphere. Anyone who wants to come over and join in can do. Anybody in any other part of the ground who wants to join in with some of the songs we start is free to do so. I just hope it doesn't send a message that it's the 'only area of the stadium where we encourage singing' and the rest of the stadium is the 'quiet zone'. As long as it has the intention of supporting the team I don't think anyone could have a problem with it, we all want the best for the team.

The reason the rest of the Kop was poor is because many of those who are usually on the back of other gangways moved over to A and also because it was a nothing game. When there's more to play for and when more join the 'singing section' this will hopefully improve. It'd be a massive shame if it got to a point where the back half of gangway A was the only part of the Kop where anyone stands up though.

One thing though, where were all the season ticket holders at the back of gangway A? Nearly the whole gangway was empty apart from us. The only fans up there were those who moved to the singing section. Have the club sorted them all out with a different seat for this game or is there just barely any season ticket holders up there?

Not usually anyone at the back of gangway A. Might be a very small handful of season ticket holders there if any.

Being in gangway D I never get a view of gangway A. I really wasn't aware that it's so empty. If it's like that every week then we've missed a great chance.

Hopefully everyone will get season tickets there for next season. If they do then the atmosphere will improve 100%, even if we're shit.

Can we move our season tickets to a different area or is it too early to do that yet? If it is then there will be no problem anyway because there's nobody there to renew and take the seats.

My view is that the idea is a good one, but the section needs to be at the back of the Kop but in the centre (gangways C. D. E) not right over in one corner. This will allow the songs started in the singing section to be picked up elsewhere in the Kop much more easily.

Today there were lots of songs going in the singing section (almost continuous) but it wasn't very audible elsewhere on the Kop, so didn't really get picked up and spread around the ground.

This was only a trial though, so I don't think there's any particular suggestion that Gangway A would be the permanent location. My hope would be that the club will announce now what the singing section will be for next season, and invite people to move their season tickets accordingly.

I assume that the trial was basically intended to assess:

1. Did the singing section improve the atmosphere.
2. Did it stay free from trouble.

As the answer to both of those questions seems to have been 'yes', hopefully it can be considered a success.

Gangway A has to be the most ideal area due to the lack of season ticket holders. Gangways C, D and E are mostly taken by season ticket holders, although more and more empty seats are beginning to emerge, so having it there doesn't seem plausible.

Although it didn't get the rest of the Kop singing, with more numbers hopefully it'll be different. The only danger is that there will be no one left at the back of the other gangways because they'll all be on A. I don't want to see that happen.

The only danger is that there will be no one left at the back of the other gangways because they'll all be on A. I don't want to see that happen.

Thats one of the dangers of having a section, you can end up either alienating others or concentrating everything in one place.

Whats up with all singing throughout the ground like has always happened? :)

Well anybody can come and join in and if anything it's encouraging other parts of the ground to sing up as well.

It might be concentrated in one area but if it results in a good atmosphere then I have no problem with that.

There should be no need for a 'singing section' but desperate times call for drastic measures I guess.

I was sat/stood right next to the singing section and we sang basically the length of the game. If more people would of given the trial a go it would of been even more of a success. Yes it was mainly young lads that took part but it turned todays game (Pretty dull) into a much more entertaining one.
There must not of been more than 300-400 people there but I think we were making a considerable amount of noise.

Were sending them down, were sending them dooooooooown, a week next sunday were sending them down!!!

There were about 100 of us there today, and that's without too much publicity. I reckon we could get at least another 100. I know a few who will move there.

Thats one of the dangers of having a section, you can end up either alienating others or concentrating everything in one place.

Whats up with all singing throughout the ground like has always happened? :)

Always apart from the last 3 seasons and large parts of the 15 years as well? The atmosphere hasn't been great at the Lane for the most past. In the Prem it was good and when g and h were open it had some fantastic moments.
Other than that it's been oh so quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom