Singing Section at the lane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally dont see what you are all going on about, I see no harm in making a singing section. A good atmosphere is really important to me and as others have said I like to sing till my voice has almost entirely gone...
Its only a trial and if it doesnt work then we will go back to the way it is now... end of. If it is a success and it leads to a much improved atmosphere then all the better for it. Kind of win win situation for me.

There are major problems with the kop and why it isn't working as it should do and can't be dismissed out of hand as some have.

There is no way whilst united are playing mediocre football that there will be any audible noise from the kop as it is but a section elsewhere could boost the whole ground.

Villa and Blackburn have put home fans behind both goals and have proven to be a success and anyone who went to palace last week or last season and saw/heard the holmesdale fanatics would agree 100% with the trial as it has transformed selhurst.

I'd prefer in the long run that the away fans retain an 'end' - for me it's the proper place for away fans. I always make the extra effort to get to away games where that remains the case, and it should be true at the Lane too.

As far as I can see, the trial 'singing section' is on the BLLT only because that's the only place for which tickets had not already been sold.

I hope that if the trial is successful and the singing section established for next season, it will be designated as the back of the Kop.

I hope that if the trial is successful and the singing section established for next season, it will be designated as the back of the Kop.

I'd prefer it was designated as the whole ground, and called the supporters, rather than the singing section.

Then again, everything seems to be hitting a re-branding at the moment, so we might as well pretend to support Cavese too ;)

Yeah, that would be good. Sadly, we've been trying it for the past few years, and it clearly isn't working. Time for change. :)

It's worked since day one, won't people just singing where they normally sit have the same effect? Instead of sitting quiet or having a go at each other? :)

Don't get me wrong, anything that'll improve the atmosphere is worth trying, I just don't really get how certain people sectioning themselves off and singing other teams songs is the way to achieve that - especially ones that require impecable timing and mass participation to sound anything like.

I'm happy to be proven wrong.

The support home and away is poor, irrespective of the football.

The away support isn't going to change and is the same 30 people at every match at the back supporting the team and the rest sat in silence - unless there is a major turnover in who attends away games it will be poor.

It's easier to improve the support at home and ideally it shouldn't have come to this but hopefully it will be a success.

As for supporting Cavese - it is a joke theory, most of uniteds songs are copied from other teams anyway eg Rotherham. It happens, get over it, if you don't like it don't join in or start your own song.

I agree with you and have been saying so for a long time. Most older heads will tell you that the atmosphere was better in their youth etc. It's the same across the board.

The away support isn't going to change and is the same 30 people at every match at the back supporting the team and the rest sat in silence - unless there is a major turnover in who attends away games it will be poor.

Care to name these 30 and the ones who shouldn't come any more?

Thats exactly the sort of attitude that I mentioned concerns about before, prompting you to erroneously say elsewhere that we as a forum don't support the team and slag off others for doing so.

The atmosphere has been crap for a long time, but that doesn't mean your select 30 are the worthy supporters and the rest need replacing.

As for supporting Cavese - it is a joke theory, most of uniteds songs are copied from other teams anyway eg Rotherham. It happens, get over it, if you don't like it don't join in or start your own song.

Remind me which team the Blades always used to take the piss out of for blatently stealing songs, having songs with no words or relying on a band to make noise?

Obviously there is always going to be some crossover in songs, there always will be, but at least the other recycled songs aren't as blatently stolen and have been adapted to the Blades.

Do you like Tom Hark used as a goal celebration? the fact it's used everywhere else?

How many teams in this country do you think have started trying to sing Dale Cavese? Ring of Fire? - We might as well be Derby, Accrington Stanley, Bradford City, Celtic, Lincoln City etc etc. All completely ignoring the reason it's called Dale Cavese and that it has absolutely nothing to do with the identity of their clubs.

Done correctly, chants like Dale Cavese can sound immense, but so can Barrel of Money, Greasy Chip Butty and many more.

Perhaps I'm just grumpy and looking on the recent Blades past with rose tinted glasses, but in my opinion it isn't just the club that is losing it's identity somewhere along the line, it's the fanbase too.

I personally have never made fun of Wednesday for using that style of "chant" but after years of continental Europe being influenced by British chants the British fans are being influenced by their chants such as the Dale Cavese chant - which as you say isn't directly related to their club but it's a way of sustaining an atmosphere. I am aware of a feeling amongst some united fans against this type but there is no reason the can't go hand in hand.

The two united songs mention are ones I love to hear more than any other but the problem with them is that they don't sustain a level of noise or support - I believe you was the palace match and must have heard their fans singing "we're the red and blue army" or the st Pauli "we love you" song for long periods.

I'm totally opposed to playing any music after a goal, I'd rather hear 23000+ united fans celebrate then start singing "we love united, we do" instead.

As of now it is a trial for one game and I can't believe the negative reaction from some to it.

If the product is shite, the atmosphere will be shite because there is little to nothing to get excited about. Why the hell should everyone sing along like sheep if what they are actually thinking is that this is a steaming pile?

There are several reasons for atmospheres dying at grounds. A singing section is just paper over the cracks.

It's worked since day one, won't people just singing where they normally sit have the same effect? Instead of sitting quiet or having a go at each other? :)

Don't get me wrong, anything that'll improve the atmosphere is worth trying, I just don't really get how certain people sectioning themselves off and singing other teams songs is the way to achieve that - especially ones that require impecable timing and mass participation to sound anything like.

I'm happy to be proven wrong.

It would be fantastic if people sang all around the ground, but it just isn't happening, and understandably so. Singing loud from a seated position amongst hundreds of people sitting in silence is embarrassing. I can't do it - I don't think most can. The only realistic solution is to give those people the opportunity to be congregated together.

The issue of other team's songs is a red herring. It's not related to the singing section concept. Personally I agree - I like us to sing traditional 'United' songs - but that doesn't mean there can be new songs (all United songs were new once) and it also doesn't mean they have to be entirely original. Most 'traditional' United songs were sung by someone else first.

I'm with you on the wordless 'songs' - I'd prefer we leave those for the other side of the city - but that doesn't relate to singing sections. :)

If the product is shite, the atmosphere will be shite because there is little to nothing to get excited about. Why the hell should everyone sing along like sheep if what they are actually thinking is that this is a steaming pile?

There are several reasons for atmospheres dying at grounds. A singing section is just paper over the cracks.

Anyone can sing a few songs when we're playing well and winning, Bladesway. For many of us, support for our team isn't reserved for when we're playing well. If you went to Peterborough, you'll know that your opening statement isn't true.

It's not a question of 'singing along like sheep' - we sing even when we're losing, because we want to. We're not trying to force anyone else to do the same. The Singing Section is entirely voluntary.

Everyone has their own different way of enjoying football. Yours is as valid as mine. All that is being done is that a section is being defined for a particular type of support which it is recognised conflicts with the enjoyment of some other people.

Everybody has a choice.

It does sound a little "Americanized" though dunnit?

What next? Bring the Bladettes back & get a hot dog cannon?

as if there gonna stop people on kop using bad language. There be more then half of the kop need telling off or kicked out! "if you where a yellow jacket your a c**t!" nor other ground does this.

ooh the bad language.. look this is a working mans game despite sky and the bbc's attempt to present otherwise.. perhaps you should consider taking your prawn sandwiches along to the tennis or golf or something.. how about opera?..
on a philosophical level who decides what is a swear word or not anyway.. some toff at oxbridge who has never been in the real world?

well i spent most of my youth in s8 indeed my family are based there and as far as i am aware non of the aristocracy have moved there yet.. sooo

are you the person i nearly had the punch up with at wembley?

well i spent most of my youth in s8 indeed my family are based there and as far as i am aware non of the aristocracy have moved there yet.. sooo

are you the person i nearly had the punch up with at wembley?

It was your reference to a "working class man's" game...

It's easier to improve the support at home and ideally it shouldn't have come to this but hopefully it will be a success.

I agree about the 30 people at the back who 'support the team'. They are the ones who start the singing and I can understand their frustration that the rest of the crowd won't join in with them.

I've also noticed that the ultras, singers, supporters or whatever they're called just want followers. Many times I've seen a well oiled spectator try to start a song of their own but it just won't get off the ground because the 30 won't help out because it's not one of theirs.

The singing section should be funny to watch though, I can't wait.

heh sorry my bad.. apologies.. i didnt mean male only.. i meant to say it is a contact sport

It does sound a little "Americanized" though dunnit?

What next? Bring the Bladettes back & get a hot dog cannon?

Sod the Bladettes but the hot dog cannon sounds cooooool!!!!

According to gossip elsewhere, the club have reneged on their promise to trial this against Coventry stating H&S issues (a lack of stewards).

According to gossip elsewhere, the club have reneged on their promise to trial this against Coventry stating H&S issues (a lack of stewards).

To see the reaction on some other sites its the biggest betrayal since Munich/Deane and Fjortoft being sold.

Bend the Bladettes over and find a great use for the hot dog cannon.:bummer:

I'm sure the Bladettes age range was about 8-15 :eek: We better not go down that road :p

But yes the trial has been scrapped due to there being not enough stewards! Ridiculous really.

As for Gary Sinclairs ramble at half time about the singing section, the less said the better. It made me want to curl up and die :thumbup:

Just tried to reread the article from the OS using the link I posted, but the article is no longer on the OS... damn should've C&P'd it.

I was sure that it had been cleared with H&S.

More likely they'll have read the comments on here and realised it was a shite idea... but blamed H&S... or H&M... or the ref....or the fans...or the hotel... or McCabe debts....

Alternatively, Spurs came in with an offer to buy the Singing section for 50 Quid and we couldn't turn down the offer (even though it wanted to stay) because it was a great bit of business from the PL.

but don't worry, We'll get the Singing section back on loan next season with a 24 hr recall clause

I agree with you and have been saying so for a long time. Most older heads will tell you that the atmosphere was better in their youth etc. It's the same across the board.

Care to name these 30 and the ones who shouldn't come any more?

Thats exactly the sort of attitude that I mentioned concerns about before, prompting you to erroneously say elsewhere that we as a forum don't support the team and slag off others for doing so.

The atmosphere has been crap for a long time, but that doesn't mean your select 30 are the worthy supporters and the rest need replacing.

Remind me which team the Blades always used to take the piss out of for blatently stealing songs, having songs with no words or relying on a band to make noise?

Obviously there is always going to be some crossover in songs, there always will be, but at least the other recycled songs aren't as blatently stolen and have been adapted to the Blades.

Do you like Tom Hark used as a goal celebration? the fact it's used everywhere else?

How many teams in this country do you think have started trying to sing Dale Cavese? Ring of Fire? - We might as well be Derby, Accrington Stanley, Bradford City, Celtic, Lincoln City etc etc. All completely ignoring the reason it's called Dale Cavese and that it has absolutely nothing to do with the identity of their clubs.

Done correctly, chants like Dale Cavese can sound immense, but so can Barrel of Money, Greasy Chip Butty and many more.

Perhaps I'm just grumpy and looking on the recent Blades past with rose tinted glasses, but in my opinion it isn't just the club that is losing it's identity somewhere along the line, it's the fanbase too.

Disagree Foxy, if you're a young teenage lad, why would you bother following United - you're spread out at the back of the Kop struggling to get an atmosphere going and constantly getting harassed by stewards.

If the young lads want to jump around together, like many a generation of young lads at football have done for decades before, why not let them do it on the BLLT. Hey if they get some flags, banners etc like the Jorvik Reds and others I'm all for it.

My preference is for "reopening" H-Block as that was a proper singing section, but its never going to happen. Let the young 'uns have their fun.

Disagree Foxy, if you're a young teenage lad, why would you bother following United - you're spread out at the back of the Kop struggling to get an atmosphere going and constantly getting harassed by stewards.

If the young lads want to jump around together, like many a generation of young lads at football have done for decades before, why not let them do it on the BLLT. Hey if they get some flags, banners etc like the Jorvik Reds and others I'm all for it.

My preference is for "reopening" H-Block as that was a proper singing section, but its never going to happen. Let the young 'uns have their fun.

I don't know why but I find the decision not to do it for H&S reasons tremendously depressing. :thumbdown:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom