Sheffield United Women

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Just come across this... What a short sighted prejudiced fool.

I suppose it’s all about context.

The standard is quite good skill wise but the lack of physical power changes the game.
The mistake is most people naturally compare it to the men’s game but that’s unfair, it’s more like watching under 16’s school boys football.
Altho there are advantages to the women’s game.....family atmosphere, better sportsmanship, less dissent, less fouls, more unpredictability regards goalkeepers.

I’m on the fence regards what efforts should be put into building up the women’s game because it’s a form of positive discrimination.
I’m uncomfortable with any form of discrimination but agree that it’s the honourable thing to “temporarily” support struggling groups (like womens football).
However the support should be used as an enterprise kick starter....not a permanent state subsidy.

At the moment theres no commercial viability in women’s football.
It’s made great strides/ progress recently but average crowds in the top flight were about 1,500 before covid and that’s with really cheap tickets.
There’s been the odd game with over 30K at big PL crowds but that was with free tickets....and even then many failed to turn up.

I’m slightly uncomfortable that the BBC have chosen to sponsor the women’s game using tax payers money.
The idea is a good idea...there should be inclusivity and the women’s game should be properly marketed to give it a chance but what happens if, even with the best marketing it gradually stagnates...and never becomes a commercially viable....should it be permanently subsidised by taxes?

I suppose we’ll cross that bridge....if and when it happens.
I’m probably in a common group...I’d watch women's football when there’s nothing better on tv..but I’d never pay for it.

Last edited:
Tbf you could probably do a similar video with the mens football.
No doubt, however you wouldn’t have to pretend to be interested, to listen to shit about equal pay, to watch a taxpayer funded organisation prop it up. :)

Tbf you could probably do a similar video with the mens football.

Or just our 2020/21 season DVD

Women's football and Men's football are two different sports really. It's a hugely popular sport for girls (over 3 million playing now in the UK) and will no doubt keep improving. The way it's played is different. More akin to maybe the mid to late 20th century men's football. Slower, less physical and less cheating. People slate it but given the short period of time it has been taken seriously here, there's been a huge improvement.

The one area where it is really weak is keepers. Oh my.

Richard Keys trying to keep up the pretence.....keep watching..snigger 😂😂😂

Nice revenge for us cos we lost 10-3 at Boro in November 1933 also lost 6-0 in April 1988

Reactions: ZLB
Indeed. This will be the first night in 33 years that my dreams aren’t haunted by that Middlesbrough match.

I think I was also at that one. Didn't Bernie Slaven rip us a new one that day? He was a Scottish mediocre player who we managed to magically transform into Maradona that day. Jeez, our defending was top notch 😳😱

They want same pay as the mens game but the transfer fees are pathetic 🤣
Alex Greenwood (JOC missus) is a regular England left back playing for Liverpool, Lyon, Manchester City and Manchester United with a combined transfer fee of 50k for three moves. Lol.

'Women's Super League champions Chelsea have signed winger Lucy Watson from Sheffield United on a two-year deal.

Watson, 18, scored eight goals in 22 Championship matches for the Blades last season.'

Prince out.

'Women's Super League champions Chelsea have signed winger Lucy Watson from Sheffield United on a two-year deal.

Watson, 18, scored eight goals in 22 Championship matches for the Blades last season.'

Prince out.
For me this is one of the biggest problems facing Sheffield United Women and Womens Football. It’s going to difficult to build a fan base if you have no chance of promotion and if you develop a good player they can just leave without any benefits to the club. Essentially, there are only 4-5 British womens teams with any chance of winning anything and promotion from the womens championship is almost impossible for semi-pro teamsters . For the good of the womens game they should invest in making more teams full time pro and limit the squad sizes, so that good players are more evenly distributed amongst the teams, making it more Competitive and avoiding cricket score results.

For me this is one of the biggest problems facing Sheffield United Women and Womens Football. It’s going to difficult to build a fan base if you have no chance of promotion and if you develop a good player they can just leave without any benefits to the club. Essentially, there are only 4-5 British womens teams with any chance of winning anything and promotion from the womens championship is almost impossible for semi-pro teamsters . For the good of the womens game they should invest in making more teams full time pro and limit the squad sizes, so that good players are more evenly distributed amongst the teams, making it more Competitive and avoiding cricket score results.
I agree, I think they've missed a big opportunity of having the women's teams at the centre of communities and encouraging the growth of support at your local club, rather than just the same 5/6 billionaire owned clubs that dominate the men's game. i.e. how the men's game used to be before the money got ridiculous.

It's how that is funded.
Let's say they have a squad of just 15 on £40k pa wages each. That's £600k a year.
Small fry with sky money, but a big chunk otherwise.
If the FA was backing it with government or TV and advertising, it would be 10s of millions over the leagues. Maybe do-able then?

They have won all there friendlies so far.......
Unlike well....

They have won all there friendlies so far.......
Unlike
I agree, I think they've missed a big opportunity of having the women's teams at the centre of communities and encouraging the growth of support at your local club, rather than just the same 5/6 billionaire owned clubs that dominate the men's game. i.e. how the men's game used to be before the money got ridiculous.
Agree. We all know that football is mainly a tribal affair with local pride an absolute factor in picking which team to support. To encourage girls and women to get involved in football having a local team, with local heroes and being competitive is essential. We see that from social media, with a lot of the Sheffield pride focused on Millie Bright, Ellie Roebuck, Beth England and Alex Greenwood, as well as BDTBL. SUFC needs to invest now and at the very least move to full-time.

Agree. We all know that football is mainly a tribal affair with local pride an absolute factor in picking which team to support. To encourage girls and women to get involved in football having a local team, with local heroes and being competitive is essential. We see that from social media, with a lot of the Sheffield pride focused on Millie Bright, Ellie Roebuck, Beth England and Alex Greenwood, as well as BDTBL. SUFC needs to invest now and at the very least move to full-time.

They need their own stadium to build their own fan base instead of hanging onto the coat tails of their male counterparts
I don't see why playing at BDTBL is a problem. Generates direct income from one base and benefits local business. Maybe that's why this seasons women's home games are all at BDTBL.

They need their own stadium to build their own fan base instead of hanging onto the coat tails of their male counterparts
Why? Seems a strange barrier to put in place. Would you say the same for the U21 and U18 mens teams? The womens team playing at BL is not detrimental to the mens team. Most of those that go to watch the womens team will also support the mens team. Womens football won’t be for everyone, but surely the more competitive the leagues the greater the professionalism, the standard and the enjoyment.

It's how that is funded.
Let's say they have a squad of just 15 on £40k pa wages each. That's £600k a year.
Small fry with sky money, but a big chunk otherwise.
If the FA was backing it with government or TV and advertising, it would be 10s of millions over the leagues. Maybe do-able then?
Exactly. If they combined the WPL and the Womens championship and the FA subsidized all teams to a minimum to remain professional, then this would increase the standard and increase the pool of players. Yes, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal would still dominate, but the better competition between teams would drive an increase in standards.

I think based on the Euro's this should have generated local interest for families etc to go and view. Season ticket prices spot on and if I lived in the UK I would head down to watch a game or more. Interesting to see what attendance figure for the opening match will be. Hope it's decent for them. I pick up the odd game live on FA player app and ok to view.

Back
Top Bottom