Sheffield United Women

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sothall_Blade

Reaction score
What is going on at Sheffield United Women?

Seems to be a valid question.
If it was the men’s team left without a manager for 6 weeks, we would all be going nuts and rightly so.

The circumstances surrounding the racist abuse claim can't have added to squad harmony. Imagine if that had happened to one of our male players

If it was the men’s team left without a manager for 6 weeks, we would all be going nuts and rightly so.

but this just re-affirms that women’s football isn’t thst important compared to the men’s game.
In today’s world, rightly or wrongly everything is based on finances. The womens game hardly brings in any income snd is subsidized by the club.
So it’s difficult to leverage any power when the mass population isn‘t that bothered.

Agree it does seem weird and you’re right to raise it.
I know there’s massive publicity and positivity trying to promote the womens game.
No other sport in history has ever received this level of help and promotion but paying customers are still very low.
I’m nit sure if the sport will ever be able to stand on its own feet..so will the desire continue for ever for football clubs to keep investing?

I think that ideally the women’s game should be subsidised because its creates a family all enclusive welcoming image for SUFC.

Last edited:
but this just re-affirms that women’s football isn’t thst important compared to the men’s game.
In today’s world, rightly or wrongly everything is based on finances. The womens game hardly brings in any income snd is subsidized by the club.
So it’s difficult to leverage any power when the mass population isn‘t that bothered.

Agree it does seem weird and you’re right to raise it.
I know there’s massive publicity and positivity trying to promote the womens game.
No other sport in history has ever received this level of help and promotion but paying customers are still very low.
I’m nit sure if the sport will ever be able to stand on its own feet..so will the desire continue for ever for football clubs to keep investing?

I think that ideally the women’s game should be subsidised because its creates a family all enclusive welcoming image for SUFC.

There’s been a big promotion campaign of of the women’s game in the last 2 or 3 years and it’s been receiving more and more positive publicity.
Last season several clubs set attendance records (sounds great) but the headlines failed to report that in most cases tickets were given away free.
England internationals have also had incredible attendances of over 80,000, however again media failed to report that tickets were free to kids and £10 for adults.

Promoting a sport....creating an image....is like a steam train....takes a while to get going but once achieved it runs itself.

Some experts have said the FA can only take the womens game so far....it needs to either be with the financially powerful PL or go it alone.
Ideally they would love the PL to use some of their billions to subsidise and build up the women’s game
A solution could be to play women’s matches directly before the men’s match...so your ticket includes free admission to the women’s game.

The BBC and promoters of the women’s have create a window of opportunity.
However it was significant that last season when the PL were approached about taking over the women’s game.
They rejected this idea saying they didn’t think the timing was right.

It does make you wonder if the women’s game is now at the cross roads and maybe be window of opportunity is gradually closing.
The problem is the Corona virus ensured the women’s league was cancelled early and that temporary stoppage (lack of publicity) has slowed the momentum so the masses have lost what little interest they have previously. The game needs a successful England team in a World Cup or Euro to get it back on track.

Playing the women's game before the mens football match would be a great idea to try and get the women's game into the mindset of the regular fan. You could go to the Lane (yes I know fantasy stuff atm) 2 hours earlier than normal, watch the SUFC women royally turn over the Pigs equivalent (obviously our women will be stunners compared to their ogres) before watching the SUFC men's team turn over Man Utd.

Sounds like a good day that.

Playing the women's game before the mens football match would be a great idea to try and get the women's game into the mindset of the regular fan. You could go to the Lane (yes I know fantasy stuff atm) 2 hours earlier than normal, watch the SUFC women royally turn over the Pigs equivalent (obviously our women will be stunners compared to their ogres) before watching the SUFC men's team turn over Man Utd.

Some people struggle to make it in for kick off now, never mind the kick off of a woman's game before the men kick off..

England internationals have also had incredible attendances of over 80,000, however again media failed to report that tickets were free to kids and £10 for adults.

You say that as though it’s somehow still not impressive. Wembley is a god awful stadium to go to, and the offer of a freebie wouldn’t be enough of an enticement unless I genuinely wanted to spend a few hours of my day to go and watch it. Getting close to 80k for a women’s football match is an impressive achievement.

Some people struggle to make it in for kick off now, never mind the kick off of a woman's game before the men kick off..

Know what you're saying but I don't think we should let that be much of an issue.

Whether fans struggle to make it or not I'd still be optimistic that there would be much more in attendance at BDTBL than where they usually play, either Olympic Legacy Park or Shirecliffe?

Also it doesn't always have to be before the men's kick off, depending on what the men's KO time is (now we're in the PL this really does vary more than it ever has) the women's could be played after the men's if the men's was an early afternoon KO for instance? I'm sure it could all be worked out.

Last edited:
You say that as though it’s somehow still not impressive. Wembley is a god awful stadium to go to, and the offer of a freebie wouldn’t be enough of an enticement unless I genuinely wanted to spend a few hours of my day to go and watch it. Getting close to 80k for a women’s football match is an impressive achievement.

True it’s still impressive but no where near as impressive as reported in the media.
In the 1st week of the new season Chelsea v Spurs last season saw 42,000 free tickets gone within days of being out on their web site.
It was correctly reported as a “sell out”...however even with free tickets only 24,564 actually attended....
The fact that 18,000 people even with tickets failed to turn up, wasn’t reported.

Still impressive...and shows there is a market for watching sport in a family environment.....my point was how there’s a strong media drive, especially in the BBC to massively exaggerate it‘s popularity. Although I’ve already said promoting anything can be like running a steam train...it takes a lot of effort to get going....so there will be white lies and manipulation. Once you can build up its popularity and fan base then promotion can be eased off.

That comment made me laugh....agree.....there’s this fashion about getting into the stadium as late as possible.
I sometimes get in the ground 20 minutes early and the Lane isn’t even a quarter full.

Suppose it doesn’t help that we have poor facilities.
If there was a massive covered concourse or massive beer garden inside the stadium..with quick service and cheaper prices.
Then fans might choose to go the the ground 2 hours before kick off instead of going to the pub.

The women's game will be like the sports like curling or athletics that people get into for a few weeks every few years then move on from leaving very little interest outside that few weeks but might get a few more people involved in the sport.

Very few people will jump to support the women's side just because they have the same name and kit as the mens.

The media push it like crazy as I guess it's a easier women's sport to cover than something like athletics or tennis where the women and men's following is actually more of a level playing field

Have the bars open and food on, it'd probably be a decent experience (and an opportunity to recoup or even make some money).

They have a manager. Women’s football has sort of an american structure where there is a general manager who oversees and runs everything and a head coach who just works with the players.

Who would want to turn up at the ground at 11am (at the very latest, would probably need to be even earlier) to watch it? Absolutely nobody. Plus you need to think about the damage to the pitch which the ground staff won’t have time to address.

Would it not be a logistical nightmare ensuring each teams home fixtures match up with the woman's teams fixtures? It's difficult enough to sort out football fixtures as it is, never mind adding on another game before or after.

Would it not be a logistical nightmare ensuring each teams home fixtures match up with the woman's teams fixtures? It's difficult enough to sort out football fixtures as it is, never mind adding on another game before or after.

There are logistical problems like Changing rooms and warm-ups / warm-downs to consider too.

Maybe they could occasionally have a U21 / Women’s match double-header at Bramall Lane on International weekends. Kick offs at 15:00 and 18:00. Leave the bars and catering facilities open in between.

Maybe could attract about 10,000 on an otherwise blank weekend?
(Covid permitting of course)

There are logistical problems like Changing rooms and warm-ups / warm-downs to consider too.

Maybe they could occasionally have a U21 / Women’s match double-header at Bramall Lane on International weekends. Kick offs at 15:00 and 18:00. Leave the bars and catering facilities open in between.

Maybe could attract about 10,000 on an otherwise blank weekend?
(Covid permitting of course)

Think this type of thing is more realistic and could be a way forward to make the women’s game more popular.

I think I’m in the same boat as many men........I have watched women’s football and do enjoy it in a similiar way I enjoy school boys football.
If there nothing better on tv...I’d watch a women’s game on tv and I’d even attend a match... so I do have some interest.

The problem is I don’t like womens football enough to pay.....maybe £5 or £10 would be my upper limit but I’d need more persuasion.

Couple of important matches played at Bramall Lane with free admission for season ticket holders and say £5/£1 for non season ticket holders would be one way to get more exposure and hopefully cover costs by kiosk sales as would only need south stand open so similar to cup finals held for non league teams.

Women's football will never be as big as the men's game, except maybe in the States.

Why? Because in most parts of the world the blokes have had a hundred year or more head start. It's not sexist to point this out, just common sense. Most Blades won't care about how our u15 sides do, the same with the women.

I've suggested the playing before the men before but I think the problem is that the women's team would either have to take their cut from the men's gate or you'd have ticketing nightmares where people wanted to come in before kick off but hadn't got a ticket for the on-going game. And if you play it too early before the men to avoid that then people won't want to be their that early. The women's game is trying hard to become financially independent and may see it as a major setback to that.

It would, at the very least, be a great idea for a few games where it were manageable in the same way they do ticket promotions. I'm usually outside the ground a good hour before kick-off anyway for parking. And in a sane world, you'd be able to have a beer while watching it. That'd make for a big incentive for clubs to host the games.

Also completely ignoring the covid situation and whatnot for now. But when things improve.

That comment made me laugh....agree.....there’s this fashion about getting into the stadium as late as possible.
I sometimes get in the ground 20 minutes early and the Lane isn’t even a quarter full.

Suppose it doesn’t help that we have poor facilities.
If there was a massive covered concourse or massive beer garden inside the stadium..with quick service and cheaper prices.
Then fans might choose to go the the ground 2 hours before kick off instead of going to the pub.

I think thats an excellent idea. But not sure it would work as its almost like a culture going to the pub before the game in this country.

Different country and economies of scale perhaps, but I went to an NHL game in Tampa a few years ago, and they did pretty much exactly what you describe. From about 2 or 3 hours before the game there was music, a variety of food and drink stalls, just no need to be anywhere else. It was brilliant.

Women's football will never be as big as the men's game, except maybe in the States.

Why? Because in most parts of the world the blokes have had a hundred year or more head start. It's not sexist to point this out, just common sense. Most Blades won't care about how our u15 sides do, the same with the women.

The US Women’s National team have been massively successful (the worlds number 1) and it’s a massively popular participant sport amongst women there but it’s no where near as big as the men’s game in the US and never will be.

There’s currently only 9 teams in the women’s US league with average gates surprisingly low at around 5,000. When you consider the massive success of the women’s team at international level doubt their women’s National league will get any bigger or more popular.

Where as the men’s MLS currently has 26 teams with an average gate of 23,000. New club Atlanta United averaged a very impressive 69,301 last season. The men’s league is projected to grow further as more and more cities make bids to be accepted by the MLS.

Last edited:
Playing the women's game before the mens football match would be a great idea to try and get the women's game into the mindset of the regular fan.
Women's game needs to stand or fail as it's own game. Run it by women, for women. Play it in sensible sized stadiums. Maybe 2/3 size pitches to make it faster paced.

Why not make it a summer sport or at least have a fair bit of it played during the men's off season? The two can't compete. People who follows football follow men's football historically. Only in extreme situations are people likely to switch from one to the other.

But people love football and when they can't get any they miss it. So having it when men's football is on hiatus is going to attract more. Issue of course there is thing in with European calendar for UEFA women's competition.

It was correctly reported as a “sell out”...however even with free tickets only 24,564 actually attended....
The fact that 18,000 people even with tickets failed to turn up, wasn’t reported.
How do you know then, if it wasn’t reported?

How do you know then, if it wasn’t reported?

There was no report....the news on tv and in the papers said it was a 40,000 total sell out at a Stamford Bridge when the Chelsea womens teams played a Spurs, with all tickets going in a few days. I was impressed and thought the womens game must be more popular that I thought.

So I did a bit of digging. There’s a really good web site showing loads of football stats..including the womens game.
If the media said over 40,000 tickets were sold (given away) and the official attendance was given as 24K, then roughly 16K failed to attend.

https://www.worldfootball.net/competition/eng-frauen-womens-super-league/

Back
Top Bottom