Match Thread Sheffield United v. Southampton - Saturday 6th March 2021

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
SOUT
SOUT
SOUT
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1614976665546.png v. 1614976674553.png
EPL Week 27 - Saturday 6th March 2021 - Bramall Lane

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-southampton.535

Officials:

Referee:
Paul Tierney
Assistant Referee: Ian Hussin
Assistant Referee: Sian Massey-Ellis
Fourth Official: Geoff Eltringham
Video Assistant Referee: David Coote
Additional Video Assistant Referee: Timothy Wood

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

📺
Live TV Coverage
:

Screenshot 2021-03-06 at 13.42.26.png

I'm thinking the management were taking the Michael today . What other conclusion can you come to .😠

Turned it off a while ago cant watch it anymore. We should be winning this Southampton were there for the taking in the first half but its like we are playing with 9 men.
To be honest, they were there for the taking in the second half, even at 2-0. The second worst side to play at the lane this season.

Agian when plan B is play plan A with worse footballers then your never going to change a thing. The contradictions that have come out of wilders mouth are laughable. He’s forgetting where he came from.

Positives

Brewster - Made a nuisance of himself took up some good positions lots of tenacity and was unlucky didsy didn’t play him through in the first half.

Bryan - competent if not spectacular certainly looks a solid centrehalf option

Baldock - see above played well in an unfamiliar position

Ramsdale - not at fault for either goal some smart saves and assured performance all round.

Honourable mentions

Mcburnie - linked the play well after coming on in a deeper role if we stop limping it to him he’s got something about him.

Norwood - solid if not spectacular no mistakes and the game changed when he went off.

Negatives

Lundstram - isn’t fully committed can’t hate him for it he’s protecting his earning potential in the summer but shouldn’t be playing in those circumstances.

Didzy - a bridge too far for a very good player today hopefully he’s refreshed for the next game.

Wilder - one of his worst tactical performances imo. The change at half time didn’t work exposed Lundstram and completely killed the game for us. He can’t persist in playing Lundstram now accept it’s over and let him go regardless of which body he chooses to fill that hole with I’d imagine most fans would support the decision.
Yes, I'd add Fleck, as a positive, Rammers and Bryan did well, and the makeshift defense generally did ok aswell. McB contributed well today,but we just lack quality.. Lunny and Enda were poor especially.

Agree but Whats the point in bollocking them ? Isnt gonna make them play better- they are down and out literally. With the players we had to pick from and after playing with 10 men midweek (they last played Monday) we should have seen this performance coming but it’s the hope that kills you.
I did think a few showed some fight today - mcburnie fleck and Bogle, Baldock plus Ramsdale ok for me but time up lundstram and mousset - shouldnt get another game this season- but perhaps wilder waiting until we mathematically relegated
Cos today they deserve a bollocking. Regardless who is on the pitch, today was devoid of effort & any pride. A shit show

Yes, I'd add Fleck, as a positive, Rammers and Bryan did well, and the makeshift defense generally did ok aswell. McB contributed well today,but we just lack quality.. Lunny and Enda were poor especially.
Yeah I thought it was a typical fleck performance without seeing any of his high end driving runs. Lunny should be done here not saying that maliciously just it’s best now for all parties. Enda it’s a shame because his purple patch was so good but he just looks tired and leggy maybe he’ll return to form after a proper break but I think as club we should be planning for the worst case scenario that this is what he is as a player now.

Positives

Brewster - Made a nuisance of himself took up some good positions lots of tenacity and was unlucky didsy didn’t play him through in the first half.

Bryan - competent if not spectacular certainly looks a solid centrehalf option

Baldock - see above played well in an unfamiliar position

Ramsdale - not at fault for either goal some smart saves and assured performance all round.

Honourable mentions

Mcburnie - linked the play well after coming on in a deeper role if we stop lumping it to him he’s got something about him.

Norwood - solid if not spectacular no mistakes and the game changed when he went off.

Negatives

Lundstram - isn’t fully committed can’t hate him for it he’s protecting his earning potential in the summer but shouldn’t be playing in those circumstances.

Didzy - a bridge too far for a very good player today hopefully he’s refreshed for the next game.

Wilder - one of his worst tactical performances imo. The change at half time didn’t work exposed Lundstram and completely killed the game for us. He can’t persist in playing Lundstram now accept it’s over and let him go regardless of which body he chooses to fill that hole with I’d imagine most fans would support the decision.
Can go along with pretty much all that. McB brought a bit of life to things coming on, but Lundstram stuck a knife in the back and destroyed any chance. I've not been one calling fro Lundstram out all season, but...I am now. We'd have been better playing with 10 than having players think they can rely on him as a teammate. So yes, put whoever in there. Anyone.

Can go along with pretty much all that. McB brought a bit of life to things coming on, but Lundstram stuck a knife in the back and destroyed any chance. I've not been one calling fro Lundstram out all season, but...I am now. We'd have been better playing with 10 than having players think they can rely on him as a teammate. So yes, put whoever in there. Anyone.
I think now feels like the natural time to move on from Lundstram off the back of that display. We’re down now and the coffin is nailed so it’s time to move forward with players who will be here next year.

I think now feels like the natural time to move on from Lundstram off the back of that display. We’re down now and the coffin is nailed so it’s time to move forward with players who will be here next year.
agreed

Until we realise our formation and tactics are not working then we will keep getting more of the same. Draw a line from each outside edge of the centre circle straight to the opposition box. We don't play or try to play in this area even when on a break.
Due to how we are set up it's all too predictable. Out to the sides, move it down the wing if we can and hopefully get a cross in. No direct play and no creativity.
Even though I think our forwards are poor we are seriously limiting their effectiveness.
As for our squad. We are seriously limiting our options with our policy of predominantly buying British or Irish players. Especially so when we don't pay competitive wages.
Tactics and quality. We are seriously lacking in both.

Pathetic, once again. Can't wait for this season to be over.

I am still looking forward to next season though. I think it will be a good one.
It would have a long way to go to as bleeding awful as this one.

Armstrongs tackle on Lundstram was far worse I've seen a red given for that it could break a leg.

How many times in s season can we say lunny and enda are not up to the fight ,out of form and out of desire .poor management

We're just not very good at this level are we.

No pace. No power. No technical ability. No creativity.

Most are trying really hard, I don't blame them, but the majority aren't up to it.
If they want people to try hard I'll put some dubbing on my Woolworths football boots. Trying hard is the very least you expect, employers in any kind of business up and down the country will take that as read, but employees up and down the country will get the sack 9 times out of 10 if that's all they've got

We are dreadful, slow, create nothing, don’t shoot, get to edge of box pass backwards and try and walk it in. Awful to watch
......... and, and the opponents look as though they have an extra man - all the time - as well as time on the ball, pace and .......... and ability!

Hardly a suprise.
Southampton are probably the most attacking side in the division . They can't defend, but that's no problem, because we can't attack.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210306-153524.png
    Screenshot_20210306-153524.png
    47.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20210306-165423.png
    Screenshot_20210306-165423.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 15
Hi Stegosaurus here

Wilder has to go. He's tactically deficient. Honestly, can see us facing the drop next season too. We're wank.
What do you mean when you say ‘us’ and ‘we’re’ ?

Another new back 3 and another limp and ineffectual performance. The half-assed high pressing said it all (Mousse couldn't press a pair of trousers). Lucky to not lose by a lot more. Midfield was nowhere. Defence was all over the shop. Constantly fouling first half. We had a couple of things going forward but nothing much. The strikers don't really link up. Nothing creative from midfield. Wingbacks more running than thought.

Where is the fight (not Swansea chav fighting) but actually the determination to win tackles or keep the ball? We were outfought from start to finish and out-thought off the pitch.

Ramsdale - 7.5 - Had one very good save and another couple of good saves. Didn't have chance with the goals
Stevens - 5 - Did a couple of good things going forward but he's just to slow to put crosses in. On several occasions he gave their defence the time to get a block of challenge in. Busted flush for me going forward as a wingback and defensively not good enough either.
Bryan - 5 - Did ok and made a couple of good clearances but also dropped the ball a couple of times and was lucky to get away with it.
Ampadu - 4 - Two terrible mistakes and looked like a mistake waiting to happen at any second. It must be tough out there but his concentration needs vast improvement if he's going to become a top pro. Should have stayed on his feet for the pen. Never going to get that across the body.
Baldock - 5 - Extremely difficult playing in an alien position. Struggled with Ings but didn't do much better than Adams. Got a couple of good tackles in
Fleck - 6 - Put 2 or 3 great balls in first half and got forward well a few times. Largely invisible second half apart apart from that horror tackle near the end which he was lucky to stay on the pitch for.
Norwood - 5 - The game seemed to largely pass him by. Did a bit of pointing and gave the ball away. Standard Saturday.
Lundstram -2 - Arguably Southampton's best player. First half we had a couple of overload and instead of playing in a bursting Baldock or Bogle he, under no pressure, stopped the ball then passed it backwards. He is the perfect Adkins player. They would have loved each other. Second half, created two cutting edge chances for them before inadvertently setting up Adam's goal.
McGoldrick - 6 - Surprised he went off. Thought he might have hurt himself first half and played a lot of minutes. Needs to do better with his chances but surprised the manager dropped him back into midfield when McBurnie came on given he was our only threat.
Brewster - 5 - Ran around a bit more but he he has almost no influence on the game. Sure, we're not making chances for him but other players get chances. He's a luxury item at the moment and when he does track back he almost always gives a foul away.

Subs:

McBurnie - 3- - In his element today. Night out in Swansea, buying drinks for the slappers with his big man footballer talk. Trying to fight anyone else to cover up his ineffectualness. Looking like a fool in his little socks. I don't understand why he's brought on but then spends most of his time in midfield or on the wing. Lucky to not get a second yellow as one of their players was looking at his fake-tanned wannabe-WAG. If he wants to be treated like a footballer he needs to play like a footballer.
Moussett - 2 - Couldn't press an iron. Got the ball and gave it away repeatedly. Looked about 2 stone overweight and like someone had tricked him onto the pitch. Absolutely useless. Lucky to get 2. 1 point for his ridiculously hard cross.
Sharp -4 - Had zero impact on the game really. Runs around a lot but has little chance.

Wilder - 5 - We're down to the bare bones at the back but instead of trying something different persists playing the same way. Can't really argue with playing Baldock in the 3 (him or Stevens). We were being overrun in midfield and yet he did nothing to address it. Threw more strikers on when we needed more in the middle. He has been criticised for not playing Brewster and now he is continuing to play him even though it is clearly not working. Especially the combination with McGoldrick.

Southampton - Thought they looked like a team with the worst form in the league. They were sloppy and gave the ball away a lot but seemed to win every battle, be first to the loose ball and win tackles. They deserved to win but looked fairly poor.

If they want people to try hard I'll put some dubbing on my Woolworths football boots. Trying hard is the very least you expect, employers in any kind of business up and down the country will take that as read, but employees up and down the country will get the sack 9 times out of 10 if that's all they've got
Just this - today was as bad as i have seen in a long time and i have seen a lot!

Back
Top Bottom