Match Thread Sheffield United v. AFC Fylde - FA Cup Round 3 - 5th Jan 2020

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
FYL
FYL
FYL
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1578056918772.png v. 1578056925994.png
FA Cup Round 3 - Sunday 5th January 2020 - Bramall Lane

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings
- https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-afc-fylde.505/

Officials:

Referee:
Jarred Gillett
Assistant Referee: Peter Kirkup
Assistant Referee: Daniel Leach
Fourth Official: Ben Toner
Video Assistant Referee: Graham Scott
Additional Video Assistant Referee: Neil Davies

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

📺 Live TV Coverage:

Screenshot 2020-01-03 at 13.09.09.png

So the magic of the FA cup brings this afternoon's visit of AFC Fylde. So for a second successive season, a non league side at home in the third round. We all know how that went last year, but perhaps last year we preferred not to progress...

But anyway...

Any team news? ;)

An entire 11 change? Apparently...

Verrips first appearance?

Who leads the line up front?

Surely we maintain our usual formation, with perhaps the emphasis more on last seasons style of attacking home football...?

It's easy to dismiss a team so far below us in the football pyramid however their players will be well up for this. And we know what happened last year. However, with no disrespect meant to Fylde, even a 'second' string of players who have played their entire careers at a higher level should be enough. So shoot me down if you want, but I'm going for a 5-1 Blades victory, with their coming after a defensive mix up involving the keeper...

UTB

🍌

Totally agree. I should say, before I go much further, that I'm pretty close to the mental health stuff (not as a patient, believe it or not!) and I think it's an extremely important health issue. What's more, I'm flabbergasted how ignorant many people are about it - and I'm including healthcare professionals in this as well, not just patients. In particular, I find it astonishing that, in the main, mental health issues and physical health issues are treated separately, often by people who only have knowledge of one or the other, but not both. The reality is that mental health issues are often related to physical health issues and vice-versa. But the link isn't always made and even when it is made it isn't managed/treated effectively. Steps are being taken to try and break down these barriers, because it's patients that suffer if not. But there's a long way to go.

Having said all that...

What's all this about? Starting all the games a minute late so that people can "think" about mental health issues? I hope there's going to be something a bit more "educational" to it than that. Because otherwise it is just another empty example of virtue signalling as you have said.

I am grateful at least that it won't involve a minute's applause or the need for drunken idiots to stay quiet for 60 seconds and switch off their phones.

I think there's a one minute vid message to be played from one of the HRHches CB.

Looking forward to watching the Merseyside Derby,wanna see some fireworks between Holgate and Firmino again.

Our game,am not reyt bovvered but if these 11 reserves want to go out and win,then good on em,but if they are as un motivated as the last two cup games that i did go and see,then they will bow out.

You're supposed to spend the minute thinking about mental health.
I'm sure the FA's idea was put forward with the best of intentions, but without some kind of focus I think most fans will be left scratching their heads in bewilderment.
Another case of virtue signalling for our woke society?

What's all this about? Starting all the games a minute late so that people can "think" about mental health issues? I hope there's going to be something a bit more "educational" to it than that. Because otherwise it is just another empty example of virtue signalling as you have said.

Here's a suggestion: how about either investing thirty seconds on Google to find out what it's all about, or waiting until after the event? Jumping in to whinge about 'virtue signalling' without bothering to search out any information is it's own tedious form of virtue signalling.

No giant killings in yesterdays games so that leaves it up to AFC Fylde against us or Gillingham putting out West Ham. It better not be us or I'm going to lose my shit, I'll be happy with a 1-0 win and more important no injuries to any of our players.

In all seriousness, let's hope Verrips has a awesome game, if we are to lose Henderson come the summer, then he could be a shining light!

The lesser spotted Kean Bryan makes a rare appearance...

You could say Bryan in over Stearman is a surprise but I think this continues the record of only ever selecting lefties at LCB.

JOC, Wright, Stevens, Lafferty, Bryan the only ones to start there since we went to three at the back I think.

I assume this means Stearman will be departing imminently?

Seems odd to start Clarke if he is off to the Shrews.

You could say Bryan in over Stearman is a surprise but I think this continues the record of only ever selecting lefties at LCB.

My first thought was that Stearman must be close to a move. To be fair, he was regularly solid for us in a top half Championship side 2 seasons ago. No reason he shouldn't get a move to a lower half club. Seems a leader & a good professional to have around the place.
Teams like Barnsley, Huddersfield, Wigan etc should surely all be looking at him. At worst, Rotherham.

As for Leon Clarke, today probably marks his last hoorah for us. I hope he gets a great reception & comes off to a standing ovation. I suspect the top end of League 1 beckons for him.

Any form of win would be a good result here. That midfield might get overrun.

Would imagine Sharp and Stearman come on for Clarke and Rodwell at some point

No giant killings in yesterdays games so that leaves it up to AFC Fylde against us or Gillingham putting out West Ham. It better not be us or I'm going to lose my shit, I'll be happy with a 1-0 win and more important no injuries to any of our players.
Excuse me what about the massive win in Brighton 😵
Oops forgot they're better than most of the pl club's 😎😎
BAD MAX 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Sharp can't even get a start for the reserves, must've shat in the gaffer's mug or something.

As much as these players need games, I’m wary of 11 players suddenly chucked in together and expected to play as if they’ve played together all season. Rarely works and a prime example being a similar set up v Barnet last season.

They have enough quality there to see off a National League side, but will they show it? I’m not so sure

As much as these players need games, I’m wary of 11 players suddenly chucked in together and expected to play as if they’ve played together all season. Rarely works and a prime example being a similar set up v Barnet last season.

They have enough quality there to see off a National League side, but will they show it? I’m not so sure

If they're 100% at us from the start, we could be in trouble. Throwing all those players together will lead to a number of mistakes as well.

Still, regardless of the result it's the right thing to do. The players clearly needed a rest.

Fylde are certainly no Barnet, but I think so far we’ve looked more on it than a year ago. Both wingbacks looking bright, and Besic & Luke Freeman probably the two best performers so far.

Bryan though looks quite obviously below the rest on display in decision-making and performance. Loan to League 1 a necessity.

Back
Top Bottom