Selling the family silver no 1 Ramsdale

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Andy Robertson got relegated. I didn't see Liverpool fans complaining. Even decent players end up in teams that go down. If it wasn't for ghost goal Grealish would have been relegated. Bournemouth got 41m for Ake after they went down. It just happens.

You can say not many go down twice but it's not easy to get a seat at the top table when you're only 21 and play such a specific role.

I think he's been decent in 2021. I no longer worry he'll make a howler.
ake 41m what a joke hes worth half of that at the best

Not to nitpick but to describe winning Player of the Year, at 20, in your first season in the Premier League as "very average" is a fairly spicy take.
My own nitpick is that he was player of the year in a relegated team, conceded 61 goals and only kept 5 clean sheets in 37 appearances, i.e. the best of a bad bunch. His defences have chucked him under the bus in the last couple of seasons admittedly but I don't think he's proved that he's Premier League quality just yet.

Not saying the valuation is right but dont forget he is the No.1 U21 keeper for England and was before we bought him you don't get that position lightly.
Can't remember last time we had an England No.1 keeper ? Did Tracey make it at one point.

Almost surprised he didnt get dropped when he came to little ol Sheffield United.
The other 2 keepers in the last u21 squad were a backup keeper from Championship Stoke and the first choice keeper from League 2 Cheltenham (on loan from West Brom). So I'm not entirely convinced by your statement about not getting that position lightly... How many League 2 players were in the last England senior squad?

Things I read a lot on here:

Ramsdale is shit because he got relegated last season.
We should've signed Ben Foster instead.

It's all a bit confusing...

Agree, as Ive said on another thread, Ramsdale has 2 relegations in 2 seasons - coincidence or contributor?

up until 5/6 matches ago, he was a fuckin liability, he has improved, but I would suggest hes improved into about 80% performance we would expect, he still concedes goals you would want a multi million pound internationally recognised GK to save

I would expect someone to offer around £8m if that

Leeds have Meslier, and West Ham are pushing for top 4, not likely to recruit a GK for Europe whos been relegated last 2 seasons!!

I hope Berge has a money back + profit release, so at least if he has to go we make something, personally I would like to see the new manager play through him to the feet of Brewster

If we can keep Egan, JoC, Berge & Brewster I think we have the spine of a good team there
Thats what we paid for him ,8 million ,unless we win the league with him and he becomes Englands number 1.

My own nitpick is that he was player of the year in a relegated team, conceded 61 goals and only kept 5 clean sheets in 37 appearances, i.e. the best of a bad bunch. His defences have chucked him under the bus in the last couple of seasons admittedly but I don't think he's proved that he's Premier League quality just yet.

Until you can work out what Ederson, de Gea etc would have done behind that Bournemouth defence, or behind our defence, this is a completely worthless comment. Goalkeeper with shit defence in league with good strikers concedes a lot? No fucking way!

Relegation comes with it's pitfalls and one of those is that other teams will make offers for our better performing players.

After a relatively indifferent start, Ramsdale has started to show his worth and of late has been linked with both Leeds and West Ham in press releases.

The Ramsdale fee was somewhat shrouded in mystery. It could ride to 18.5m but the initial payment was likely closer to the 12.5m mark. Unclear as to what these add on are. Did we 'save' some of the fee by bit retaining our PL status or is it based on appearances and international recognition for example?

Based on the fact that every player has his price interested to know your thoughts on the following 3 questions:

1. How much would you consider to part with the player?

2. Who is on your list of candidates to come into consideration? What is your thinking?

3. Out of those, who are you favouring?

For me:
1. 20m.

2. Internally - I would not settle for Moore or Fotheringham. I am intrigued with Verrips. He's 6'5". Possibly a JVW recommendation which it seems didn't get favour with the Manager. Recognized at U19 and U20 by the Dutch National Team. Gone on loan to Emmen and had a superb impact. Gone from conceding 49 in 20 matches before his arrival to 9 in 9 and now have a realistic chance of survival. I doubt any of the younger keepers would be deemed ready.
Externally - I read some good things about the QPR keeper, Dieng. Philips at Cardiff, though put off by the 5 conceded by the Pigs! Brice Samba at Forest and Freddy Woodman doing well on loan and you'd think he'd still not be getting in the Newcastle XI.

3. Inclined to loan Woodman and bank the cash if he was available again or give Verrips a try if his form for Emmen is so compelling.

Your turn (it's going to be a long summer with lots of speculation so we may as well get ready!)
Keep Ramsdale and ditch the other 10 players in front of him would be a better plan.

Andy Robertson got relegated. I didn't see Liverpool fans complaining. Even decent players end up in teams that go down. If it wasn't for ghost goal Grealish would have been relegated. Bournemouth got 41m for Ake after they went down. It just happens.

You can say not many go down twice but it's not easy to get a seat at the top table when you're only 21 and play such a specific role.

I think he's been decent in 2021. I no longer worry he'll make a howler.
Grealish has been relegated.

Mendy who never played anywhere other than the French league and is 29? A Senegalese international whose closest competition are a QPR keeper and a few French youngsters - it's hardly a good example here Steve. Unless your saying we should hold out for more for Ramsdale.

What a website says mendy is worth is irrelevant - as you point out, they paid that amount for him 8 months ago to be competition for Kepa.
Mendy looks a top keeper. Far better than Ramsdale. Whether Ramsdale will develop into a top keeper is an open question. For now he seems to be all about potential. But that's not what we needed for this season. For me there are too many doubts. If we could recoup our outlay or make a profit I would sell.

I'd be more worried about losing some of our most promising youngsters for peanuts than first team players, personally ...... :rolleyes:

Relegation comes with it's pitfalls and one of those is that other teams will make offers for our better performing players.

After a relatively indifferent start, Ramsdale has started to show his worth and of late has been linked with both Leeds and West Ham in press releases.

The Ramsdale fee was somewhat shrouded in mystery. It could ride to 18.5m but the initial payment was likely closer to the 12.5m mark. Unclear as to what these add on are. Did we 'save' some of the fee by bit retaining our PL status or is it based on appearances and international recognition for example?

Based on the fact that every player has his price interested to know your thoughts on the following 3 questions:

1. How much would you consider to part with the player?

2. Who is on your list of candidates to come into consideration? What is your thinking?

3. Out of those, who are you favouring?

For me:
1. 20m.

2. Internally - I would not settle for Moore or Fotheringham. I am intrigued with Verrips. He's 6'5". Possibly a JVW recommendation which it seems didn't get favour with the Manager. Recognized at U19 and U20 by the Dutch National Team. Gone on loan to Emmen and had a superb impact. Gone from conceding 49 in 20 matches before his arrival to 9 in 9 and now have a realistic chance of survival. I doubt any of the younger keepers would be deemed ready.
Externally - I read some good things about the QPR keeper, Dieng. Philips at Cardiff, though put off by the 5 conceded by the Pigs! Brice Samba at Forest and Freddy Woodman doing well on loan and you'd think he'd still not be getting in the Newcastle XI.

3. Inclined to loan Woodman and bank the cash if he was available again or give Verrips a try if his form for Emmen is so compelling.

Your turn (it's going to be a long summer with lots of speculation so we may as well get ready!)

Nice easy one this, United have 50+ years form on selling the family silver and it has never worked, usually ends in relegation.

Keep all the best/better players. Goalkeeper and defence, there's no problem whatsoever with them, that includes first XI and back up players. Having a solid defence (inc goalkeeper) is a great starting point for any team. Forwards i think will be good enough next year in the Championship. It's midfield we need a revamp, and if we have a manager that will go 4-4-2 then we need a couple of wingers as well.

Back
Top Bottom