Selling the family silver no 1 Ramsdale

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

How is everyone getting a valuation on player relegated with us - and in Ramsdale's case, much of a season being a fucking liability - as fantastically more than we bought him for? He's pulled off a few decent saves and improved a bit since his head-smackingly shit start. Attempts on goal he should have reached. Parries back into the path of attackers who score. Flapping at crosses. Balls creeping under his body. Elaborate dives two seconds after the ball whistles past him. It's not a convincing showreel for any prospective manager looking at options between the sticks next season, let alone in the top flight where he has been backstop two seasons consecutively for teams relegated.

Get real. Offers may come in (I say 'may') and even if they are, they will be measured on what his output has been this season, which hasn't been exactly stellar.

I think he'll be here next season but I really hope the next manager makes him work for his shirt and rotates the goalkeeping duties. Verrips has been patient, and never had a Premier League game. Moore has had one or two. 50/1 Bar. Ramsdale needs to come out firing next season and work hard consistently to keep his jersey. If he does, he may play in the top flight again.

pommpey

🤯 And its getting likes too?!

Seems more people than i thought stopped watching at Christmas.

How is everyone getting a valuation on player relegated with us - and in Ramsdale's case, much of a season being a fucking liability - as fantastically more than we bought him for? He's pulled off a few decent saves and improved a bit since his head-smackingly shit start. Attempts on goal he should have reached. Parries back into the path of attackers who score. Flapping at crosses. Balls creeping under his body. Elaborate dives two seconds after the ball whistles past him. It's not a convincing showreel for any prospective manager looking at options between the sticks next season, let alone in the top flight where he has been backstop two seasons consecutively for teams relegated.

Get real. Offers may come in (I say 'may') and even if they are, they will be measured on what his output has been this season, which hasn't been exactly stellar.

I think he'll be here next season but I really hope the next manager makes him work for his shirt and rotates the goalkeeping duties. Verrips has been patient, and never had a Premier League game. Moore has had one or two. 50/1 Bar. Ramsdale needs to come out firing next season and work hard consistently to keep his jersey. If he does, he may play in the top flight again.

pommpey

Agree, as Ive said on another thread, Ramsdale has 2 relegations in 2 seasons - coincidence or contributor?

up until 5/6 matches ago, he was a fuckin liability, he has improved, but I would suggest hes improved into about 80% performance we would expect, he still concedes goals you would want a multi million pound internationally recognised GK to save

I would expect someone to offer around £8m if that

Leeds have Meslier, and West Ham are pushing for top 4, not likely to recruit a GK for Europe whos been relegated last 2 seasons!!

I hope Berge has a money back + profit release, so at least if he has to go we make something, personally I would like to see the new manager play through him to the feet of Brewster

If we can keep Egan, JoC, Berge & Brewster I think we have the spine of a good team there

I was kind of hoping this could be a series where I name a first team player who we may get an offer for, you then show your footballing depth of knowledge by coming up with an intriguing list of alternatives we could debate the merits of.

But you're a bloody rabble aren't you? Make no mistake! 3 simple questions, 35 replies and about 1 fulfilling the original bloody ask.

There's no wonder we're getting relegated!

😂😂😂

I was kind of hoping this could be a series where I name a first team player who we may get an offer for, you then show your footballing depth of knowledge by coming up with an intriguing list of alternatives we could debate the merits of.

But you're a bloody rabble aren't you? Make no mistake! 3 simple questions, 35 replies and about 1 fulfilling the original bloody ask.

There's no wonder we're getting relegated!

😂😂😂
Don’t worry about it, just realised I said Woodman when I meant Dewhurst but no picked up on it. It’s like no one reads the posts.

We've had Verrips for nearly 2 seasons now and we've no idea how good he is compared to our other keepers. Personally I think he should have been our backup keeper this season, and should have been given the cup games to show what he can do. But then I wouldn't have signed Foderingham either! If we could sign Woodman I'd be OK with letting Ramsdale leave if someone offers £20m+ (and he wants to go).

We need a second choice keeper who offers some realistic competition for Ramsdale if he starts next season like he started this one.

It has been part of the problem this season throughout the squad where underperforming, complacent players haven't had to look over their shoulders at anyone trying to take their spot. God only knows what our first choice team will look like come August, considering we've not really known what it is this year!

pommpey

Absolutely. I'm astonished that people are worried about any of our players leaving. JOC aside they've been fookin awful all season.

I'm actually more worried about most of them staying!!

Meaning?

If you're gonna disagree, why not provide detail? This is a forum.

pommpey

Meaning that if your view of Ramsdale is as you describe, then you and the people agreeing must not have watched a game for a good while.

He had a rough start, but that seems fresher in your memory than his keeping us in games regularly far more recently. He has shown improved command of his box, positioning, shot stopping and general good goal-keepering (?) in 2021. But you're happy to wax lyrical about his shit moments, and cover his vast improvement with a "few decent saves and improved a bit". Come on pommpey, I know you have to come out for the crowd with the acerbic shtick, but every time? He's been our best player since the turn of the year, which is actually almost as big a time frame as pre xmas, where your head still seems to be.

And all this based on what - somebody saying we could get 20 million for him? We definitely could get 20 million for him and it wouldn't be outrageous at all. It would be, "ok we will let him go for that", but I wouldn't feel like we'd hand anybody's pants down.

£15 to £20m for a keeper with successive relegations on his CV.......

Not saying the valuation is right but dont forget he is the No.1 U21 keeper for England and was before we bought him you don't get that position lightly.
Can't remember last time we had an England No.1 keeper ? Did Tracey make it at one point.

Almost surprised he didnt get dropped when he came to little ol Sheffield United.

Improve? All players are gambled on in the hope that they will improve.
You seem to be ignoring the fact that Ramsdale was player of the year at Bournmouth before being sold and is likely to get the same accolade with us this season.
Check his stats for his expected saves to at least give him a fair view of his performance in front of out constantly changing and poor performing defence.
He's also not one of the top 5 fees ever paid in the PL for a goalkeeper, those would be Arrizabalaga, Allison, Ederson, Pickford, and Mendy. so you're just making stuff up as you go along.
To seemingly try and single him out as being a significant factor to Bournemouth's or our relegation is laughable and not worthy of further discussion.

Of course all players are gambled on in the hope that they improve, but that wasn't my question was it.

I also said it would have to be in the top 5 for someone to have to pay more than we did, not that he is now. I suppose that's not strictly true, someone could pay £18.6m, making him 6th I assume.... soz.

I never said he was a significant factor in Bournemouth's relegation because I haven't got a clue. Both teams were utter crap but how can you not think he's been a factor in ours?

And I'm the one making stuff up. 🤯

Are we in "must sell" territory? Considering wages surely are coming down anyway, and with the expectation Berge will go (unfortunately), are we in need to bring in massive transfer fees next year? Some releases at the end of the year too, Jags especially looking like a big wage off the books.

If not then a good year in the championship might do wonders to the value of some, and boost our chances of doing well to boot.

Of course all players are gambled on in the hope that they improve, but that wasn't my question was it.

I also said it would have to be in the top 5 for someone to have to pay more than we did, not that he is now. I suppose that's not strictly true, someone could pay £18.6m, making him 6th I assume.... soz.

I never said he was a significant factor in Bournemouth's relegation because I haven't got a clue. Both teams were utter crap but how can you not think he's been a factor in ours?

And I'm the one making stuff up. 🤯
If someone paid what we did it wouldn't be in the top 5 transfers, it wasn't in the top 5 transfers when we paid it either, so no matter how much your wriggle and moan your comment is fundamentally incorrect. It was a baseless untruth to support a poorly considered opinion.
You also played around the edge of truth by claiming it's one of the most expensive championship transfers ever even though he's never played a single match at Championship level and the season hadn't started but because Bournemouth had been relegated you still threw it in there.
The fact of the matter is, even allowing the above despite it being bollocks, he wouldn't even be in the top 10 Championship transfers ever anyway, so again it's another baseless untruth. You also keep holding onto the fact that he cost £18M when the published accounts from both parties show that to be nonsense, and so we have a third deliberate lie.

You aren't here for a discussion or debate, you just want to spout nonsense to back up your ill thought out and ignorant view.

Last edited:
If someone paid what we did it wouldn't be in the top 5 transfers, it wasn't in the top 5 transfers when we paid it either, so no matter how much your wriggle and moan your comment is fundamentally incorrect. It was a baseless untruth to support a poorly considered opinion.
You also played around the edge of truth by claiming it's one of the most expensive championship transfers ever even though he's never played a single match at Championship level and the season hadn't started but because Bournemouth had been relegated you still threw it in there.
The fact of the matter is, even allowing the above despite it being bollocks, he wouldn't even be in the top 10 Championship transfers ever anyway, so again it's another baseless untruth. You also keep holding onto the fact that he cost £18M when the published accounts from both parties show that to be nonsense, and so we have a third deliberate lie.

You aren't here for a discussion or debate, you just want to spout nonsense to back up your ill thought out and ignorant view.

What on earth are you on about? The whole point of my post was if we sold him, as a Championship club, for more than what we paid, which was reported at £18.5m. if you don't think that's the right figure then fine, but it's all I've got to go on.

What a weird angry post that was. I haven't deliberately lied about anything. If you disagree with the opinion that £18.5m was overpriced, then that's absolutely fine. I don't think a very high proportion of football fans would agree with you though.

Meaning that if your view of Ramsdale is as you describe, then you and the people agreeing must not have watched a game for a good while.

Oooh. Smells a bit like 'you don't go to matches, what the fuck do you know?' May have escaped your laser-guided observation, but I have stuck up 'My take ... ' for most, if not all of this season's games. So yeah, I have watched a game. Recently too. In the last one I saw Ramsdale boot the ball against Lacazette and fortuitously collect the rebound. I witnessed him palm a shot straight into the path of their winger for their third (something he's done before, at Anfield and at BDTBL). I have witnessed him fuck up the flight of countless headers - Wolves, Leeds at home, Villa and Arsenal away and I have seen him flap at crosses, issue spoddy punches and drop the ball when he should have firm, confident hands on it. I have also seen him dive for a shot which is already in the net. What the fuck is that all about?

Seems to me like a lot of people are watching the same games as I am as well to get such consensus. I don't pay them to agree. They just do.

He had a rough start, but that seems fresher in your memory than his keeping us in games regularly far more recently. He has shown improved command of his box, positioning, shot stopping and general good goal-keepering (?) in 2021. But you're happy to wax lyrical about his shit moments, and cover his vast improvement with a "few decent saves and improved a bit". Come on pommpey, I know you have to come out for the crowd with the acerbic shtick, but every time? He's been our best player since the turn of the year, which is actually almost as big a time frame as pre xmas, where your head still seems to be.

It is 'fresher in my memory' because mistakes cost goals and goals cost points. If we are citing memory too, what is fresh in my memory is the confidence, capability, timing and athleticism shown by Dean Henderson during his couple of seasons with us at Bramall Lane. I maintain he gave us at least nine points with his shot stopping and goalkeeping interventions last season, without which we'd have possibly finished fifteenth or so. I am not however suggesting this season's disaster is at the feet (or hands) of Ramsdale. There are at least six players who have been completely exposed as not PL standard above him. But his improvements have been during the past eight or nine games, during which however he has still made some fucking right old cunt-ups. And we have still lost a hell of a lot of games during that time too. Ramsdale, even with his marginal gains, hasn't affected that.

And all this based on what - somebody saying we could get 20 million for him? We definitely could get 20 million for him and it wouldn't be outrageous at all. It would be, "ok we will let him go for that", but I wouldn't feel like we'd hand anybody's pants down.

Again, the evidence is against you on that. He was relegated with Bournemouth and is relegated with us. On camera, in many angles, he has made some fucking eye-gougingly stupid fuck ups since the start of the season, starting with his questionable positioning and attempt at stopping Jiminez's goal just 180 seconds in. Prospective managers, boards, coaching staff will be looking at him as a risk rather than an asset and will pitch their bids accordingly. If we baulk, they'll simply go elsewhere. Goalkeepers tend not to be injured much and leave holes in squads and right across the PL the second choice level of goalkeeping is still pretty fucking good. I can't also see any of the newly promoted teams wanting to have old relegation features between the sticks too.

So where do you reckon the bid for twenty million will come from?

pommpey

We definitely could get 20 million for him and it wouldn't be outrageous at all. It would be, "ok we will let him go for that", but I wouldn't feel like we'd hand anybody's pants down.

think you may be a bit out with the £20 mil mate

Chelsea currently sit 5th in the EPL, are in the semi final of the FA cup, and he is a full international - valued at £22mil (what Chelsea paid for him 8 months ago)
1618317187347.png

this is Rammers, heading for his 2nd relegation in 2 years starting his dive as the ball is 2yds past him
he has played 35 appearances overall, conceding 60 goals and kept 3 clean sheets
1618317304213.png

if someone offered us £20m, like a £250,000 job offer from the brittle bone society, i would snap their fuckin hand off.

think you may be a bit out with the £20 mil mate

Chelsea currently sit 5th in the EPL, are in the semi final of the FA cup, and he is a full international - valued at £22mil (what Chelsea paid for him 8 months ago)
View attachment 110558

this is Rammers, heading for his 2nd relegation in 2 years starting his dive as the ball is 2yds past him
he has played 35 appearances overall, conceding 60 goals and kept 3 clean sheets
View attachment 110560

if someone offered us £20m, like a £250,000 job offer from the brittle bone society, i would snap their fuckin hand off.

Mendy who never played anywhere other than the French league and is 29? A Senegalese international whose closest competition are a QPR keeper and a few French youngsters - it's hardly a good example here Steve. Unless your saying we should hold out for more for Ramsdale.

What a website says mendy is worth is irrelevant - as you point out, they paid that amount for him 8 months ago to be competition for Kepa.

Verrips must be

Mendy who never played anywhere other than the French league and is 29? A Senegalese international whose closest competition are a QPR keeper and a few French youngsters - it's hardly a good example here Steve. Unless your saying we should hold out for more for Ramsdale.

I think what he's saying (and you know it) is that we will not even get close to £20m as an offer for Ramsdale. To be honest, I doubt any Premier League team would take him on as a risk. The goalkeepers there at present are far better than him, and playing in the top league in the world. In a few weeks time, he will be a Championship goalkeeper.

pommpey

What a website says mendy is worth is irrelevant - as you point out, they paid that amount for him 8 months ago to be competition for Kepa.

you say tomato, I say tomatoe

Imagine you are an EPL chairman, and your manager says
'you know that £20mil budget you have given me for a keeper?
well ive found one -
hes about to be relegated from this division for the 2nd time in 10 months, he concedes 1.7 gpg, but young English and with potential.

If you sling me another £2m, i can get this lad, first choice for a team pushing for Champions league at his peak age who concedes at a rate of 0.7 gpg. and hes a full international (albeit Senegal)

I am sure most owners would find the extra £2m

Im not slagging off Rammers, I think hes come on in the last few games, and I reckon a season in the Champ will boost his play and confidence, and if we go up we might have an OK keeper, in the same league as Dubravka, Guaita, McCarthy etc

Im just suggesting that £20m is potentially a bit rich, given the less risky options out there.

you could bring in Forster from Southampton, pay his £60k wage for 3 years, (£9m) and have change........

Which of those relegations were Ramsdale's fault?

Neither.

But his game is riddled with inconsistency, error and faults. He pulls off some good saves, but on balance this season he is in minus figures still.

At Bournemouth he was victim to the demise of Nice Guy Eddie Howe and the system he played. This season he has been both victim of us failing to impose in midfield, certain back three injuries but in large parts him not having the footballing acumen to deal with the goalkeeping situations he faces in the English Premier League. For £18m it is fair to say it is expected of him to have the competence to save a fairly soft header by Konsa, a similar one by Bamford, at least get a hand to the driven shot or header away at Arsenal, not push the ball back out to Firmino, read the grasscutter by Walker, see also the long range shinner by Gallagher, not let Rashford's shot squirm under him, be better positioned for Aurier's header, and be better placed to intercept the cross which put Harrison in at the back post. Most of this happens in his own six yard box which the goalkeeper has to command and dominate. Henderson managed it, so does Schmiechel and Pope. Ramsdale just looks overwhelmed and out of his depth and blessed when he sticks a hand out and the shot is saved.

Those examples largely cost us points. At least seven or eight. Think how much of a difference that would have made. Think how much of difference it would have made had he got his feet right and palmed at least one of Wolves's goals out in the first match and we'd have gone on, one-down instead of two, and secured a draw at least?

Would you spunk twenty million on that if you were a Premier League manager?

Me neither.

pommpey

Not saying the valuation is right but dont forget he is the No.1 U21 keeper for England and was before we bought him you don't get that position lightly.
Can't remember last time we had an England No.1 keeper ? Did Tracey make it at one point.

Almost surprised he didnt get dropped when he came to little ol Sheffield United.
Andy Robertson got relegated. I didn't see Liverpool fans complaining. Even decent players end up in teams that go down. If it wasn't for ghost goal Grealish would have been relegated. Bournemouth got 41m for Ake after they went down. It just happens.

You can say not many go down twice but it's not easy to get a seat at the top table when you're only 21 and play such a specific role.

I think he's been decent in 2021. I no longer worry he'll make a howler.

A season in the Championship where he hopefully won't be conceding as many goals as he has in the last 2 seasons should do him some good.

That said, he was horribly overpriced for a goalkeeper who has only had one very average season at the top level before now and he'll have to go some to get his stock to rise if we were to cash in on him at any point in the future

A season in the Championship where he hopefully won't be conceding as many goals as he has in the last 2 seasons should do him some good.

That said, he was horribly overpriced for a goalkeeper who has only had one very average season at the top level before now and he'll have to go some to get his stock to rise if we were to cash in on him at any point in the future
Not to nitpick but to describe winning Player of the Year, at 20, in your first season in the Premier League as "very average" is a fairly spicy take.

Back
Top Bottom