sander Berge

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I wrote that post weeks ago, his form has improved since then but he was looking like a horrendous purchase for a good while. Hopefully he'll take this improved form into the championship.
Fair enough. I disagree he ever looked like a horrendous purchase. At minimum he's one of the best players in the Championship who needs more support to be effective higher up

I’d say if you’re a professional footballer and you haven’t played many games then you’re shit at your job.

But it’s not as simple as that. He’s not played because of injuries as opposed to not making the team because of talent.

He’s not been able to show how good or bad he is… but we can can say that he’s been a disaster of a signing because he’s not played

Ultimately whatever you think of the value and contribution of Sander's time with us, would we have gone back up last season without him? I doubt it because he scored and assisted several crucial goals.

So in that respect, same with McBurnie, he's paid his transfer fee. It will be interesting to see if a PL club or top league European club comes in for him this summer if Burnley are relegated.

He never seemed settled with us once we were relegated but at the same time played largely well in the championship. I don't know how he's done at Burnley but he plays for them every week.

Also please go not boo him on Saturday. Whether you agree with him leaving to Burnley or not, it will only spur him to prove a point than if we just give him a polite clap. Personally I don't think he deserves boos regardless.
Did he provide more goals or assists than an average player in his position would have done? Not for me.

Did he provide more goals or assists than an average player in his position would have done? Not for me.
I should have added for balance, his carrying of the ball, when on his game, was exceptional.

Irrespective if comparisons with other players, he was here last season and his performances were crucial in getting promoted. I'm not saying I'd rather Sander over Hamer for example but I do think he paid his transfer fee back, especially with the £12m we got for him. I'm disappointed he wouldn't sign a new contract though.

Irrespective if comparisons with other players, he was here last season and his performances were crucial in getting promoted. I'm not saying I'd rather Sander over Hamer for example but I do think he paid his transfer fee back, especially with the £12m we got for him. I'm disappointed he wouldn't sign a new contract though.
He’s certainly not been a car crash signing, miles from it. But I’m not convinced we wouldn’t have been promoted without him - for me only Ndiaye qualified for that out of all that team.

Hamer is more industrious as a player. His passing isn't as good as Berges but over time he will be more productive for us. Berge was bang average for us and not in the same league of threat compared to Ndiaye. I have seen a few of the Burnley games and it's the same as with us.
Has loads of ability which comes in a short bursts and then it is sideways and slow jogging back. He will get a warm reception as he doesn't come across as a bad lad.

But it’s not as simple as that. He’s not played because of injuries as opposed to not making the team because of talent.

He’s not been able to show how good or bad he is
He’s looked pretty bad a lot of the time he has been on the pitch and apart from some goals on loan at Swansea what else have we got to go on?!

Hope he gets a good reception
I hope he gets met with respectful indifference

I hope we don’t boo him. It’s pathetic, achieves absolutely nothing and gives him more profile that he deserves. We should be better.

He came. He did what he did. he doesn’t play for us any more so who cares. Ignore him and wait for see robbo and a 50:50.

Anyone booing Berge needs their ticket taking off them. He didn't want to leave last summer and certainly not for Burnley but as he wouldn't sign a new deal it was made clear to him that he should leave. United made that decision, not Berge.

He'll get a polite clap from me. He's a lovely player to watch when he's on it and he's clearly a nice lad but he's too passive to ever make the most of his talent. Shame. That said, someone will take a punt on him this summer and he'll stay in the top flight.

Anyone booing Berge needs their ticket taking off them. He didn't want to leave last summer and certainly not for Burnley but as he wouldn't sign a new deal it was made clear to him that he should leave. United made that decision, not Berge.

He'll get a polite clap from me. He's a lovely player to watch when he's on it and he's clearly a nice lad but he's too passive to ever make the most of his talent. Shame. That said, someone will take a punt on him this summer and he'll stay in the top flight.
Never understood this.. clapping him before the match and during the match and making them feel welcome and relaxed to play to their potential against us!?

I don't have an issue with people wanting to greet and clap and say we'll done etc after the game has finished to ex players and fan favourites etc but shouldn't happen during the game.

Any other team boo and whistle them, look at the Barcelona match vs psg and dembele got a hostile return booing, jeering and whistling anytime he got close to the ball. - we should be trying to make is as hostile and intimidating as possible for every opposition player at home, somewhere they don't want to come and against us.

he should have signed a new deal then all he did by going to burnley was that he moved sideways both him and nidaye showed no loyalty to the club that gave them both a chance

You might be right, but even injuries aside, there’s been very little evidence of that so far.
When fit he has looked as good as most around him, but sadly his injury problems are dictating his career.
I suspect both he and the Club are going to miss out on something worthwhile.

No don’t just boo Sander boo all of em including Kompany make em feel fearful…welcome to hell boys

I have 2 hopes for Saturday, 1) I hope he gets a warm reception, and 2) I hope he puts in a typical Berge performance, when I say typical I obviously don't mean a silky one where he easily glided past players because if I meant that I would have said the extremely occasional performance

Never understood this.. clapping him before the match and during the match and making them feel welcome and relaxed to play to their potential against us!?

I don't have an issue with people wanting to greet and clap and say we'll done etc after the game has finished to ex players and fan favourites etc but shouldn't happen during the game.

Any other team boo and whistle them, look at the Barcelona match vs psg and dembele got a hostile return booing, jeering and whistling anytime he got close to the ball. - we should be trying to make is as hostile and intimidating as possible for every opposition player at home, somewhere they don't want to come and against us.

That didn't work out for Barcelona either though, did it?

I'm not saying you're wrong about not clapping, by the way, just that the jeering Dembele got didn't seem to throw him off his game.

Hope he gets a good reception
He gave us some good memories. He’s a good kid.

We will always be the team that brought him to England and gave him his chance.

We’ll always have Crystal Palace away!

Can’t blame him for moving. The writing was on the wall with the lack of investment. By the time we’ve sent Archer back, we’ll probably be net flat on transfer spend over the past 8 windows, which is incredible when you consider 3 of those were as a Premier League club!

Some players are leaders and some aren't.
The players that make good leaders usually have less footballing ability, they have to have something to bring to the table. Even eleven Lionel Messi's wouldn't make a great team.
The players who aren't leaders often have more footballing skill but require the gritty work to be done for them by someone else.

After being at Sheffield United where he was expected to do the gritty work along with everyone else, the last thing you'd have expected was for him to end up at Burnley.

Best thing he can do is go back to Belgium, Holland or Scandinavia as soon as the season ends.

Some players are leaders and some aren't.
The players that make good leaders usually have less footballing ability, they have to have something to bring to the table. Even eleven Lionel Messi's wouldn't make a great team.
The players who aren't leaders often have more footballing skill but require the gritty work to be done for them by someone else.

After being at Sheffield United where he was expected to do the gritty work along with everyone else, the last thing you'd have expected was for him to end up at Burnley.

Best thing he can do is go back to Belgium, Holland or Scandinavia as soon as the season ends.
That would feel like winding down.

Maybe a tilt at the Bundesliga perhaps? Christ even Eric Dier is looking decent there!

I’d pay to watch them…
Me too
But I think it would go something like this.

Messi kicks off, Messi gets the ball.........FOUL
Messi takes the free kick to Messi......FOUL
Messi takes the free kick to Messi......FOUL

After seventeen weeks the referee blows for half time.

Second half
Other team kicks off and sends it back to the centre half
Centre half launches it into the penalty area
GOAL 0-1.

Messi kicks off, Messi gets the ball.....FOUL
Messi takes the free kick to Messi.....FOUL

Six months later the ref blows for full time and it's a 0-1 defeat for Messi's mob.

he should have signed a new deal then all he did by going to burnley was that he moved sideways both him and nidaye showed no loyalty to the club that gave them both a chance
I think from recent events you might divine that we needed the money a sale would bring us. Not so much showing no loyalty, as being shown the door to try and keep the non payment for transfer plates spinning. What a shambles we have become.

I will also give big Sandra Berge a polite and decent clap.
Before unleashing all hellfire and vitriol upon fellow premier chumps Burnley.
But I do expect another defeat ☹️

That didn't work out for Barcelona either though, did it?

I'm not saying you're wrong about not clapping, by the way, just that the jeering Dembele got didn't seem to throw him off his game.
But they had 10 men from about 20th min of the game (CB sent off), the other CB was a 17 year old and they had in.

I wasn't implying it works or not, I'd lean to it wouldn't as professionals block that sort of stuff out anyway and some it spurs on, plus if your own team is that poor it doesn't matter lol, but I just don't think we should be clapping during the game or before. My thoughts as I said, is for us to make it intimating and hostile for all players not singling out ex players or ones we don't like.

Back
Top Bottom