CONFIRMED Sander Berge

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We can certainly hope but, realistically, there is enough evidence from the past 2 years to suggest very strongly that, despite the changing of the guard at Boardroom level, we are still a club that is completely out of its depth when it comes to transfer negotiations.

Established Premier League clubs, and even recently relegated clubs who have had a stint in the top flight, are all considerably more savvy than our amateurs, when it comes to helping themselves to the share of SKY money that has been doled out to us. We were the new kid that had its dinner money nicked by the streetwise kids who have been around for years.

Look at how much of our Premier League cash Bournemouth managed to secure for themselves. Or, Swansea. Liverpool was the classic case, of course. Dragging out a transfer saga to the point where we very obviously only had one iron left in the fire and were desperate to proceed with a transfer for a green young striker who had not played in the Premier League, and give them a chunk of money to all but pay for Diego Jota.

These clubs are serious operators when it comes to cash. They have to be as at the top level, it is all about cash.

So, if Sander is off to another club, it'll undoubtedly be for a knock-down price. Let's face it, the club aren't exactly keeping the fact that they're short of cash, secret. And, if serious operators like Arsenal or, especially, Tottenham are in the frame, we'll get legged over and the club will be left peddling some fig leaf to the supporters about how, all things considered, it was a good deal for the club.

Tottenham, lest we forget, are the club that managed to get a 'buy one and get an even better one, (virtually) free' for Naughton and Walker.

I think that's extremely unfair. You can't pin the failings of previous regimes on the current one.

Let's see what transpires but from how recent signings have been structured (with the possible exception of the Brewster one), as well as the lack of asset sales (Brooks being the last one!?!?), I'm unclear as to what evidence you have to back up your claim.

Let's be honest, for a manager who was adamant he didn't want to sell any of his best players, there's was always one exception...

"Speaking to Norwegian broadcaster TV2 last week at Bramall Lane as part of the club's commitments to Premier League rights holders, Wilder said: "I think this [Sheffield United] has always been a springboard for Sander.

"He wants to play at the highest level, he wants to play Champions League regularly and he wants to play for a top team.

“We gave him an opportunity to show off his skills and he has taken it. If he plays well, he makes us a better team, but I know that day will come.

“I know Sander won’t be here until he’s 32, but we enjoy working with him and hopefully he has a few games left as a Sheffield United player.

"I understand, if he goes and if it happens, then it happens with our blessing.

“I wish Sander all the best. Do I think he can play for a top club? Absolutely, but for that to happen, he has to keep doing well here.”"

Liverpool hoping to cherry pick him for cheap after wringing every single last little penny out of us for Brewster and Klopp publicly taking the piss out of us for only having 1 point... We will see what Bettis and the prince are made of, for me, the bidding starts at 35 mill

Liverpool hoping to cherry pick him for cheap after wringing every single last little penny out of us for Brewster and Klopp publicly taking the piss out of us for only having 1 point... We will see what Bettis and the prince are made of, for me, the bidding starts at 35 mill
If the ruthlessness shown by the Prince when dealing with CW's failures with money is anything to go by, he's a savage businessman and out for every buck, so hopefully he's not going to be the sort to sell them for a song!

If the ruthlessness shown by the Prince when dealing with CW's failures with money is anything to go by, he's a savage businessman and out for every buck, so hopefully he's not going to be the sort to sell them for a song!
The next few months is make or break for the prince really. If he gets a good management setup, sorts the squad out and doesn't sell on the cheap and we start next season well, it will go a long way towards redeeming himself, if it goes badly I can see some fans being even more toxic

How many players have we sold; not bought in the years you describe? It's easier to dictate the terms when they are YOUR player. This post is just baseless rubbish until proven otherwise

As I said at the outset, let's hope we can get proper value for any assets that we sell.

There certainly haven't been many outgoings to date. That said, we did have the situation with Luke Freeman in the Summer.

Forest knocked back several bids for Cash - publicly too, which we as a club were very unhappy about. Forest then wanted Freeman - a proven Championship performer.

Given that Wilder didn't' fancy Freeman, a transfer appeared to be by far our best option. Surely, we could have called the shots; after all this is a player that Forest wanted and we didn't? Moreover, this was a club that had irritated United by using our bids for Matt Cash to flush out more money from Villa.

In the end, of course, we let Freeman out of the door on a 'loan with a view to buy' and now he'll be back at the Lane in a couple of months.

I really do hope my misgivings about the capabilities of our board in transfer negotiations prove to be "baseless rubbish", but we'll see.

As I said at the outset, let's hope we can get proper value for any assets that we sell.

There certainly haven't been many outgoings to date. That said, we did have the situation with Luke Freeman in the Summer.

Forest knocked back several bids for Cash - publicly too, which we as a club were very unhappy about. Forest then wanted Freeman - a proven Championship performer.

Given that Wilder didn't' fancy Freeman, a transfer appeared to be by far our best option. Surely, we could have called the shots; after all this is a player that Forest wanted and we didn't? Moreover, this was a club that had irritated United by using our bids for Matt Cash to flush out more money from Villa.

In the end, of course, we let Freeman out of the door on a 'loan with a view to buy' and now he'll be back at the Lane in a couple of months.

I really do hope my misgivings about the capabilities of our board in transfer negotiations prove to be "baseless rubbish", but we'll see.
The board have been pretty inept for the past n years. Who have we really managed to buy for a decent price that we really wanted since maybe Egan?

I really do hope my misgivings about the capabilities of our board in transfer negotiations prove to be "baseless rubbish", but we'll

In this case Forest did the right thing if they weren't 100% given hes coming back after being poor. We still have no information about fees for players being sold, maybe the potential DoF can assist with this. I hope you are right too

We were similarly fleeced on the Burke/Robinson deal, where we should have held out for a fee rather than a player swap.

Remind me how we signed Norwood?

When it comes to transfers both in and out our club will once again set sail on the good ship "pants down" paying over the odds for players, and letting the assets go for peanuts, we desperately need someone with balls and business acumen to oversee the ins and outs, an upgrade of the fax machine and BBC master computer, until this is sorted we will not move forward

Please can we put the Brewster - Liverpool Clause into the deal;

Sell for £20million and if does half decent, we have the option to buy him back for £20.5 million. Therefore no risk at all to our club in case we undersold, let them do all his development elsewhere and raise his market value, then we can reap the reward and make a wad in the process.

We certainly don’t need to sell. I have calculated that total revenue (PL and parachute monies plus Matchday, Sponsorship and broadcasting revenue from EFL) across the 5 year period (20-25) is likely to be in the region of £425-£450M. If you consider operating costs (reducing in line with relegation) exceptional costs such as (ground infrastructure £43.5M, COVID c£20M) then surpluses are significant. PL income less lowest wages = significant profit. Jim Phipps saying otherwise is disingenuous to the fans

Inevitable that we sell one or two players for me the price is £40m to start even talking about it. High time we made a buyers eyes water when they come for our players.

We were similarly fleeced on the Burke/Robinson deal, where we should have held out for a fee rather than a player swap.

Sheffield United all over

A footballer is a footballer in the same way a spanner and a hammer are both tools

The club are making all the right noises at the minute, I hope this article is true
If these Examiner articles are true it makes you wonder why wilder has left ???

Of these Examiner articles are true it makes you wonder why wilder has left ???
It does read like that but I think the club are very aware of public feeling and perception at the moment so are being extra careful

To be honest I'm a bit shocked if Liverpool are interested. The lad has potential but it's been fleeting glimpses. I'm very open to being wrong about Sander but right now I don't see a Liverpool standard player.

Actual Translation of the Examiner article;

We’re definitely selling Berge
I tend to agree. But I also think it's "We're definitely selling Berge, but don't take the piss with your bids eh?"

And I think that's fine. I've been one of Berge's biggest cheerleaders on here, but I'm not sure the Championship is the right league for him and we're going to have to sell a player or two when we get relegated. I also don't think he'll want to stay with the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and no doubt clubs on the continent flashing their knickers on him.

Let's have an auction and hope that we make 10million or so on him.

Back
Top Bottom