Outgoing? SANDER BERGE ON WAY OUT ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I find all that bullshit to be honest.

No way would we agree to loan him with an option just to remove his wages. We're not that desperate and it would take him to within 12 months of his deal expiring unless we have an option of a further year.

I'm not even convinced we would consider a loan with an obligation to buy as that doesn't help cash flow at all in the next 12 months. You may as well just keep him, let him contribute and then try to sell once more next summer.

Loan him with an option to buy doesn't sound practical.
So we get probably a loan fee and then goes to Bremen and then what happens if they decide not to sign him perm next summer?
We lose one of our best players for a season with no financial gain particularly haha.

I think it's nearer the truth that Werder Bremen tested the waters with an option like that and we said no.

I find all that bullshit to be honest.

No way would we agree to loan him with an option just to remove his wages. We're not that desperate and it would take him to within 12 months of his deal expiring unless we have an option of a further year.

I'm not even convinced we would consider a loan with an obligation to buy as that doesn't help cash flow at all in the next 12 months. You may as well just keep him, let him contribute and then try to sell once more next summer.
We might be desperate to remove wages, but then if we were I doubt we would be targeting a PL player on loan where we can pay a good part of wages like Bettis suggested.

Terms of cashflow Prince might get a loan in place, but if they decide not to buy he can't do that.

If we sell him and reinvest, every player we target goes up by 25- 50%

But loaning him as an option to buy makes no sense what so ever.

He goes and plays really well in the Bundesliga and they take up the option which is then probably less than his worth.

He goes and doesn’t play well or gets injured and then they don’t take up the option leaving us with our most expensive asset a year older and closer to the end of his contract.

It just doesn’t make sense in my opinion and I’d be surprised if the club thought it was a good idea. Perhaps WB thought they were doing us a favour by taking Burke so thought they could pull a fast one.

This thread is a bit like the people that predict the end of the world, one day they will be right.

Berge is like Ian Bell. He is rarely, if ever the best player on the pitch. He doesn’t drag the team forward single handedly. But if others are in form, and doing well, you can get quality performances out of him.

Hence if he stays I have a vain hope that someone else will step up and do what MGW did to take the pressure off him.

He remains the second most overrated player I have seen at the Lane, after Leon Britton.
Absolute rubbish.

But loaning him as an option to buy makes no sense what so ever.

He goes and plays really well in the Bundesliga and they take up the option which is then probably less than his worth.

He goes and doesn’t play well or gets injured and then they don’t take up the option leaving us with our most expensive asset a year older and closer to the end of his contract.

It just doesn’t make sense in my opinion and I’d be surprised if the club thought it was a good idea. Perhaps WB thought they were doing us a favour by taking Burke so thought they could pull a fast one.
That wasn't me sticking up for a loan, I was playing devils advocate at best. I think a loan is the worst possible outcome.

The only way I could see us doing a loan to someone like Werder is under the following conditions.

• Berge signs an extension (at least one year) so his value isn't diminished next summer.
  • We have the option to make Werder purchase at the end of the year (maybe the 18m?). That option is entirely at our discretion meaning:
a. if his value increases we can capitalize on the profit by selling to another team next summer for more money
b. If his value doesn't increase we can cash in and balance the books
c. If we get promoted we can bring him back to the lane.

I can't see that happening as there is no way Werder have that kind of cash to spend, but you could just about see (with very squinted eyes) the logic in a deal like that.

I hope we keep him, as I think if he plays 40 games he gets 15+ goals we get promoted.

If Berge wants to go then different avenues have to be explored but nobody comes in with their best offer straight away so this May drag on until the transfer window.

Based on what??

Harry Wilson, John Swift, James Garner and even Harry Toffolo were all OPTA rated higher than Berge last season.

It's surprises me that fans are deluded enough to think that as a championship club, we have any sort of pull and control over a player like berge. It's 2022 and players all see themselves as bigger than clubs....Money and success talks and unfortunately despite a flirt in the top flight, we have no guarantee to either...

How I dream of a team of players with the same love, passion and mentality as Billy Sharp.

It always has to boil down to the club being at blame...... At 33k a week, if Berge doesn't want to be here and if he doesn't want to give his all every single week....then quite frankly fuck him. You can't force players to play out of their skins every week, foot all unfortunately doesn't work that way. Throw 50k a week at him and he's still got his native international .anger saying that he needs to be playing at the highest level.....

Berge on his day can be a class above, but in no way is it guaranteed every week...... let's not be deluded.

They also had full seasons in a team where they were played in their strongest positions

When the defend at all costs shackles were taken off Berge it was clear that he was amongst the very best in this division

The problem for him is if he goes, it will be to a Premier League struggler not a top team

And then he'll be asked to step back and defend again, and then he definitely won't shine for the precious Norway manager

Just feels like a matter of time on this transfer. He wants out which is fair enough and if the club are prepared for a loan to permanent move, irrespective of what 2we think of the merits of such a deal, I would have thought they'll be plenty of interest in that type of deal. My guess is the deal fell through over an obligation to buy or something similar but his agent will be doing everything to secure a move, that's his job of course.

The loan with an option gives Bremen all of the upside with non of the risk. We risk, not having the player, his value ranking while on loan and get none of the upside. Even a substantial loan fee wouldn’t make sense

Don’t like that one but, for the reasons which have been pointed out above.

A loan with only an option to buy is a no no for me

We either sell him for a fee the club seems acceptable or he stays and helps the squad to promotion

The only thing we gain from a loan with only an “option” to buy, is pretty pointless in my opinion

Yes we save his salary for a year, but considering we have enough funds to bring in a player on prem wages (according to Bettis) and provided the club can afford to pay his salary then I just don’t see the point?

Jan or end of season Berge still has 12 months to go.

No acceptable offer to sell, then no likey, no sell.

I firmly believe that Berge will be sold to the highest bidder before the window closes.
The majority of the transfer fee received will not be re-invested, it will be used to cover the loss of earnings attributed to the drop in TV money.
Same situation as with Rammers last year.
In fact I wouldn't be at all surprised if we sold Berge + one other.
Whilstever we are not in the Premier League we will have to sell assets to balance the books.
That's not to say we're badly run - far from it in my opinion - although some will see it as lack of ambition (easy to say when you don't have to fund it!).

A loan would only make sense if:

a) Berge was unhappy and said he'd put in a transfer request if we didn't let him go
b) Bremen were paying a hefty loan fee (£5 million) and wages
c) There was a buy option at the end of at least £10 million

As Bremen have no money this would make no sense.

I also think it's wrong to assume that an unhappy player would play for a move. It's usually the opposite. Instead of trying to increase his value and get more interest. It would make sense to try and lower his value.

There's no way we're getting our money back.

1. He signed for an EPL club (which always pushes up price)
2. He's been injured and not as yet proved full fitness over a sustained period
3. He's not pulled any trees up in the EPL or arguably the Championship. Yes, the end of the season was his best spell for us but he's not consistently done it.

I suspect any deal will be £10-15 million with a lot of add ons.

Last edited:
I can't believe we even discussed it a loan, based on all of the below. It literally makes no sense to us.

The loan with an option gives Bremen all of the upside with non of the risk. We risk, not having the player, his value ranking while on loan and get none of the upside. Even a substantial loan fee wouldn’t make sense

Don’t like that one but, for the reasons which have been pointed out above.

Berge is like Ian Bell. He is rarely, if ever the best player on the pitch. He doesn’t drag the team forward single handedly. But if others are in form, and doing well, you can get quality performances out of him.

Hence if he stays I have a vain hope that someone else will step up and do what MGW did to take the pressure off him.

He remains the second most overrated player I have seen at the Lane, after Leon Britton.

Ian Bell 2013. 💪🏽💥

Isn’t there a 15% sell on clause that goes to Genk, his former club? Or is it 15% of any profit that we make on him? If it is 15% of any transfer fee then we might as well keep him unless we need to get him off the wage bill.

Back
Top Bottom