Outgoing? SANDER BERGE ON WAY OUT ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Really need Raphinia and Phillips to go for big money, so we can hold out until Leeds trigger Berges release fee of £35m.

I don't really care how he gets on at Leeds but don't think he’ll be a success in England, he’s too inconsistent and immobile in my opinion.

One things for sure and to Sanders credit, I just can’t ever see him filling Kalvin Phillips boots

B96352B7-CF44-46D7-9511-990346E3FEE9.jpeg

Stay / leave. I don't think it'll really make any difference to us.

We're not good enough to get promoted, or bad enough to get relegated... with or without Berge.
Of course, we're better with him than without him, but we don't have the funds to compete at the top of the divison & push for promotion, so we may as well consign ourselves to midtable (or whatever) now and just sell him for as much as possible.

We might get to spend 25% of the fee on a replacement and the other 75% can go towards paying off the outstanding balance on the wasted McBurnie / Brewster / Mousset fees that are clearly still crippling us.

It's a depressing outlook, but the tone of Heckingbottom's interview yesterday told me everything about what we have in store.

We're going to have to sell Berge. The question is when. Unless he has a great year, and I doubt we or he will, he's unlikely to go up in value. More likely down. Norway aren't in the World Cup. No boost there. Other players will get a higher profile above him.

The question is, unless we go up are we ever going to get our money back? I think, no. So, the next question is, would taking £8-10 million for Berge allow us to have the funds to make the first teams stronger? I think that's up in the air. But, of he wants to leave and we keep him, he's not going to play well, and that will impact on the team.

If selling Berge allowed us to bring in 3 first teamers, then it's a no brainer, regardless of fee. The fee is meaningless, it's the result.

Yves Bissouma, one of Brighton's better players, went to Spurs for £25 million. I think it's bonkers to expect the same for Berge, a player who did ok for 6 months in the EPL and has hardly set the Championship alight. And unlike Brighton,, we can hardly use wages to try and keep him.

Last edited:

We're not good enough to get promoted, or bad enough to get relegated... with or without Berge.
Of course, we're better with him than without him, but we don't have the funds to compete at the top of the divison & push for promotion, so we may as well consign ourselves to midtable (or whatever) now and just sell him for as much as possible.

We might get to spend 25% of the fee on a replacement and the other 75% can go towards paying off the outstanding balance on the wasted McBurnie / Brewster / Mousset fees that are clearly still crippling us.

It's a depressing outlook, but the tone of Heckingbottom's interview yesterday told me everything about what we have in
I take it you won't be investing any of your hard earned cash in the 10/1 that's available on us to win the league.

I take it you won't be investing any of your hard earned cash in the 10/1 that's available on us to win the league.

Pretty sure we were favourites to get promoted every year in League 1, apart from maybe the first year down. We're often one of the favourites to go up. Hardly ever means we do.

I can’t help but feel the season depends on Sander.

If he stays, we play him as a 10 or on the right of a front three and we’ll be a difficult proposition.

If he goes, then better it happens sooner than later so we can be in for the likes of Twine.

The amount of times I said "He is not a defensive midfielder" when we bought him, and it's only now, two and a half years later that we have realised it. What a waste.

He was a victim of the usual Sheffield United trap of "Big bloke = carthorse" so put him somewhere where he can't fuck too much up.

Same as McBurnie, a proven goalscorer "WITH HIS FEET FROM 4-6 YARDS OUT" before joining us.

And we played hoofball and thumped it down the channels for him whenever he was in the team.

I love this thread. On the Day of Judgement when they ask for evidence as to why Unitedites are so different to Wednesdayites, they will dust off the S24SU book and with a clearing of the throat the announcement will boom out: "SANDER BERGE ON THE WAY OUT? Written in capital letters for added drama, followed by hand-wringing, moaning and pessimism. No further questions."

I love this thread. On the Day of Judgement when they ask for evidence as to why Unitedites are so different to Wednesdayites, they will dust off the S24SU book and with a clearing of the throat the announcement will boom out: "SANDER BERGE ON THE WAY OUT? Written in capital letters for added drama, followed by hand-wringing, moaning and pessimism. No further questions."

Owlstalk probably has a thread entitled "Sander Berge: on his way to the Old Lady?" as we speak.

Agreed. I’m interested to see if he becomes a world class player at City, there must be something there for them to buy him.
He’s decent enough to be playing in the premiership but not for a top 4 club not for England also imo.

Obvious choice for leeds is sander. Obviously Choice for sander is leeds. We get the money through and all targets have been signed by others. The Sheffield United way

How can people say they want £25 million for Berge and then laugh at Phillips being worth £42 million?!
This is dead right. If Phillips is worth £40m Berge is worth around £15m. Phillips has done it at the highest level, with Berge you are still buying potential, with more questions about whether that potential will be realised than there were when he arrived in England with us. Berge could yet turn out to be a better (different) player than Phillips, but you pay a lot more for proven talent.

I think valuation is a real problem for us and him. We are probably going to have to load a deal with contingent fees (performance, sell ons etc) to get the value out of him.

This is dead right. If Phillips is worth £40m Berge is worth around £15m. Phillips has done it at the highest level, with Berge you are still buying potential, with more questions about whether that potential will be realised than there were when he arrived in England with us. Berge could yet turn out to be a better (different) player than Phillips, but you pay a lot more for proven talent.

I think valuation is a real problem for us and him. We are probably going to have to load a deal with contingent fees (performance, sell ons etc) to get the value out of him.
I also think people severely underestimate the important of the likes of Phillips and Rice in a team. Consistently good and in a team like Man City who need as DCM to allow their other midfielders to play, will be vital.

It's a depressing outlook, but the tone of Heckingbottom's interview yesterday told me everything about what we have in store.
Our strongest 11 is more than capable of getting promoted. You’re letting a negative bias interfere with logic. As it stands, a team that would include Egan, Bogle, Whitney, Berge and Brewster would be very competitive. The squad is light, but it’s early days.

Our strongest 11 is more than capable of getting promoted. You’re letting a negative bias interfere with logic. As it stands, a team that would include Egan, Bogle, Whitney, Berge and Brewster would be very competitive. The squad is light, but it’s early days.

Disagree. Our best XI is weaker than last year. Last year we didn't get promotion.

Disagree. Our best XI is weaker than last year. Last year we didn't get promotion.
We also gifted a third of a season to a management team completely unsuitable to the playing staff. Over the course of a season, the form under PH was easily promotion form. Also, whilst we’ve lost MGW which is a blow, in no way is the entire 11 weaker. We also played a significant number of games without a recognised striker and had to deal with the COVID backlog. Bring Brewster and Bogle back into contention and it makes up for the MGW hole in my opinion.

But our aging slow midfield is another year older and slower. Get that box to box midfielder signed and we will do well. Go with the same midfield and we are done for
It seems we’re banking on that being Coulibaly

We also gifted a third of a season to a management team completely unsuitable to the playing staff. Over the course of a season, the form under PH was easily promotion form. Also, whilst we’ve lost MGW which is a blow, in no way is the entire 11 weaker. We also played a significant number of games without a recognised striker and had to deal with the COVID backlog. Bring Brewster and Bogle back into contention and it makes up for the MGW hole in my opinion.

We were a one man team for huge spells. Take MGW out of the setup and we're very ordinary.

I honestly do not rate Philips at the top level.

Agreed. I’m interested to see if he becomes a world class player at City, there must be something there for them to buy him.

He has a cracking engine and he's a fierce competitor. From a City perspective, they probably just want someone who can disrupt and pass the ball to the more talented lads.

I don't think he'll evolve into a world class player because the ability isn't there. But if he can give them the above it'll more than do.
A lot of competition at City, I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a 25-30 game man.

Back
Top Bottom