Outgoing? SANDER BERGE ON WAY OUT ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Whereas if I was Utd I woukd be 'minded' to tell the lad he is under contract for the next 3 years and that we hold his football registration as and if no one meets our selling price he's going nowwhere as such he should now get his head down and make himself available for selection until £35m is offered. Until then, get on with your job son. Tbf to the lad maybe he's said he will do so also.

United should tell Arsenal the price is X and we want stage payments to be Y. Don't bother picking up the phone to waste our time if your offer doesn't match or exceed it. It's really that simple for a selling club. Pick a minimum selling price and stick to it.

To be fair, we moan at The Star not reporting breaking stories we didn't already know about, then when they do we moan cos we don't like the story.

Telling United he is minded to leave is very different from kicking up a fuss. The way that’s worded it just sounds like he’s had a chat saying his preference isn’t to play championship football I’d imagine he’s not the only squad member to have expressed that sentiment this summer but it’s very low down on the scale of agitating for a move.

Telling United he is minded to leave is very different from kicking up a fuss. The way that’s worded it just sounds like he’s had a chat saying his preference isn’t to play championship football I’d imagine he’s not the only squad member to have expressed that sentiment this summer but it’s very low down on the scale of agitating for a move.
why dont the club say to him that if nobody comes up with the asking price stay here and if were not in contention for a return to the premier league in january we will let you go for 25m ?

Telling United he is minded to leave is very different from kicking up a fuss. The way that’s worded it just sounds like he’s had a chat saying his preference isn’t to play championship football I’d imagine he’s not the only squad member to have expressed that centimetres this summer but it’s very low down on the scale of agitating for a move.
Yeah, if that's all he has actually said, it's not a massive development, he's just actually said what the release clause that reduced with relegation already did. Rather not play in the championship if at all possible, cheers.

Let’s be honest. 18 months ago he was playing champions league football so of course he is “minded” to leave as he’ll see himself better than playing in the championship.

This doesn’t mean he’s angling to leave or is going to down tools. That to me seems like he’d be happy to leave if the right offer comes in. For me he’s seems like a very genuine, honest lad so doubt he’ll kick up a fuss if no one meets our valuation so this looks like a bit of a non story to me.

If anyone truly believes that he/his agent haven’t been looking at options then I’m really not sure you understand football at all!

I'm not sure why there are repeated comparisons with White.

White is what the 4th or 5th best English CB, with a top season in a promoted team and had a good season for a PL team
Berge play for Norway, played what half a season in a fairly poor PL team and been injured and not proved his fitness or that he can play in the PL.

We've always been a stepping stone. Playing in the Championship is just a backward step.

I don't blame him if he does want to move on - tbh I probably would if I were him. Playing a season in the Champ will be a wasted year for him if he's got teams that have qualified for European competitions keen on acquiring his services. There's little point in forcing him to stay providing Utd receive at least one offer that at least meets their valuation - that may be the biggest issue given his recent injury. The proceeds from his and Ramsdale's sales would also free up a significant fund/budget for SJ to plug gaps and enhance the squad so it's more suited to his preferred style of play.

This is where the players' agents should earn their considerable cut by working with the interested clubs to effectively broker a deal.

why dont the club say to him that if nobody comes up with the asking price stay here and if were not in contention for a return to the premier league in january we will let you go for 25m ?
I’d imagine that’s how the conversation probably went after all it’s not personal and they’re all professionals.

Let’s be honest. 18 months ago he was playing champions league football so of course he is “minded” to leave as he’ll see himself better than playing in the championship.

This doesn’t mean he’s angling to leave or is going to down tools. That to me seems like he’d be happy to leave if the right offer comes in. For me he’s seems like a very genuine, honest lad so doubt he’ll kick up a fuss if no one meets our valuation so this looks like a bit of a non story to me.

If anyone truly believes that he/his agent haven’t been looking at options then I’m really not sure you understand football at all!
He was playing in the Belgium league, not sure about it's strength but it's more of a 2nd rank league behind Spain, Italy, Germany and France.
It's like signing someone from Celtic or Rangers, they've played in the Champions league but their normal league level is Championship standard at best.

He can be minded, he can demand, he can put in a request or he can go on strike, it doesn’t change anything.

He’s not leaving for less than £35m and if someone offers that we can’t stop him.

He’s received an excellent wage for doing relatively little and he owes us in my opinion. The least he can do is respect our right to hold out for the release clause on this nice big contract he signed (and there’s no evidence to suggest he doesn’t).

He can be minded, he can demand, he can put in a request or he can go on strike, it doesn’t change anything.

He’s not leaving for less than £35m and if someone offers that we can’t stop him.

He’s received an excellent wage for doing relatively little and he owes us in my opinion. The least he can do is respect our right to hold out for the release clause on this nice big contract he signed (and there’s no evidence to suggest he doesn’t).
good points

We've always been a stepping stone. Playing in the Championship is just a backward step.
Exactly this, I think the main reason he came to us was probably under the promise in developing him into a top 4-6 player over the next few years. It’s a shame we couldn’t see more of him but I honestly think even if we stayed up we would of only got another 12 months from him.

I’d imagine that’s how the conversation probably went after all it’s not personal and they’re all professionals.
Kristoffer Ajer signed for Brentford from Celtic recently. Not sure if it played a part, but Norway's national team manager Ståle Solbakken was very clear about him needing to play at a higher level. I reckon Solbakken has given Berge the same bit of "advice".

Kristoffer Ajer signed for Brentford from Celtic recently. Not sure if it played a part, but Norway's national team manager Ståle Solbakken was very clear about him needing to play at a higher level. I reckon Solbakken has given Berge the same bit of "advice".
Good pick up for Brentford always thought ajer would go higher but maybe it’s a van dijk situation where you take a less glamorous move from Celtic first and then push on once you e established a reputation in England. I fully believe berge won’t want to play in the championship next year and there’s nothing wrong with having that ambition and communicating it to the club. As long as we don’t see tantrums which I don’t think we will I’m fine with whatever happens.

World Cup next year, it's probably more important than ever.

Good pick up for Brentford always thought ajer would go higher but maybe it’s a van dijk situation where you take a less glamorous move from Celtic first and then push on once you e established a reputation in England. I fully believe berge won’t want to play in the championship next year and there’s nothing wrong with having that ambit communicating it to the club. As long as we don’t see tantrums which I don’t think we will I’m fine with whatever happens.
And let's be honest, if we have an underwellming season and so does he, what's his value then?

And let's be honest, if we have an underwellming season and so does he, what's his value then?
We’d have to take a loss on him were that to happen but that goes for a fair amount of things if we don’t go back up this year. If we don’t achieve promotion I reckon a lot of this current squad will to torn down to recoup value and we’ll return to pre promotion levels of squad investment.

Hope we keep him for the coming season, if we bounce straight back up then he will be back at the highest level.
If we are not challenging by the January transfer window then I expect we would have less of a chance to keep him.

I'm pretty sure the Championship is as good as the Belgian Jupiler League, and with the exception of two or three teams, it's probably even better.

With how slow we do negotiations of signings should we sell Berge/ Ramsdale I have absolutely no confidence that we’d replace them suitably within 5/6 weeks.

It’s not going to be a busy window, teams are happy to keep hold of what they’ve got.

Unless we spend big over the top prices then we’d struggle to replace, for instance we sell Ramsdale in 2/3 weeks time, who’s going to realistically sell us their first choice keeper with only 2 weeks left of the transfer window, that team would also need to find a replacement and the chain goes on.

Should we opt for a premiership back up keeper we could be weakening ourselves/ signing a keeper completely out of practise.

For me, inc Berge it’s getting a little bit too late to start selling our best players despite what’s on offer.

With how slow we do negotiations of signings should we sell Berge/ Ramsdale I have absolutely no confidence that we’d replace them suitably within 5/6 weeks.

It’s not going to be a busy window, teams are happy to keep hold of what they’ve got.

Unless we spend big over the top prices then we’d struggle to replace, for instance we sell Ramsdale in 2/3 weeks time, who’s going to realistically sell us their first choice keeper with only 2 weeks left of the transfer window, that team would also need to find a replacement and the chain goes on.

Should we opt for a premiership back up keeper we could be weakening ourselves/ signing a keeper completely out of practise.

For me, inc Berge it’s getting a little bit too late to start selling our best players despite what’s on offer.
i think weve settled for verrips if rammy goes and very much doubt anybody will pay 35m for sander think cash plus a player or 2 on loan is the likely outcome with him

I'm pretty sure the Championship is as good as the Belgian Jupiler League, and with the exception of two or three teams, it's probably even better.

If Berge moves on I wouldn't expect his next destination to be the Jupiler League.

If a bid doesn’t come in then I hope the lad will just get his head down and show what he can do. It’s not uncommon now to be worth £30m+ after a great season in the championship. Hopefully new style of play will suit him

Back
Top Bottom