Outgoing? SANDER BERGE ON WAY OUT ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Spurs and Chelsea home games - he was the best midfielder on the park. 2 games only, granted but I think we're being a little slow on the uptake because we've been so shit since. He's one of the best players we've seen in the shirt but ultimately unless we improve he won't be remembered as such.

I find that kind of mad. He’s proven he is a classy Premier League midfielder with bags of potential at this level. He was playing in Belgium before. Tonnes of teams spend good money on players without knowing if they will translate to the Premier League. With Berge, you've seen him be a serious player. You don’t really have that risk.

I completely agree on the bags of potential. Disagree on "proven." Maybe our definitions differ. I think to be proven you have to have performed at a consistently high level. He hasn't. He's shown, in bursts, that he can be a threat. But I don't remember a series of games where he stood out as the best player on the park.

For me, he's still the same player that arrived. One with lots of potential.

I completely agree on the bags of potential. Disagree on "proven." Maybe our definitions differ. I think to be proven you have to have performed at a consistently high level. He hasn't. He's shown, in bursts, that he can be a threat. But I don't remember a series of games where he stood out as the best player on the park.

I think we’ll have to agree to disagree. For me, he showed over several months how good he can be in the Premier League. That’s worth more than the player as yet totally untested in the league we signed last year.

if premier league clubs are interested in berge i could see some sort of cash plus a loan player being part of the deal

I'm one of those who remain to be fully convinced by Berge in our team however having settled him in England now, where he was looking like one of our better if not best performers at the point of injury we'll just accept our money back will we?

I'd be telling them to jog the fuck on at 22.2m!

He's 22. 6'5" and now knows the rigours of English football.

Spurs paid 15m plus add ons for Hjolberg who was in the last year of his deal. Sander has 3-4 years left.

Arsenal paid 45m for Party who is already 27.

I'd be looking at that. He was doing no worse then him and had 5 years in him and all the potential that he's with it.

If this is the best we can get, take a view and don't sell!

I'm one of those who remain to be fully convinced by Berge in our team however having settled him in England now, where he was looking like one of our better if not best performers at the point of injury we'll just accept our money back will we?

I'd be telling them to jog the fuck on at 22.2m!

He's 22. 6'5" and now knows the rigours of English football.

Spurs paid 15m plus add ons for Hjolberg who was in the last year of his deal. Sander has 3-4 years left.

Arsenal paid 45m for Party who is already 27.

I'd be looking at that. He was doing no worse then him and had 5 years in him and all the potential that he's with it.

If this is the best we can get, take a view and don't sell!
problem is champers berge may well have a clause in his contract that if we got relegated we have to sell for a certain amount that amount may well be 22.2m but if not i would not sell for anything less than 25m possibly even 30m

Report: Liverpool join Villa in race for £22m PL star, Spurs and Arsenal recently linked​

Eurosport have claimed that Liverpool have joined Aston Villa in the race to sign Sheffield United midfielder Sander Berge this summer, with the Norwegian expected to depart with the Blades looking more than likely to suffer relegation

Report: Liverpool join Villa in race for £22m PL star, Spurs and Arsenal recently linked​

Eurosport have claimed that Liverpool have joined Aston Villa in the race to sign Sheffield United midfielder Sander Berge this summer, with the Norwegian expected to depart with the Blades looking more than likely to suffer relegation
Yay bidding war :rolleyes:

We'll either get our money back or he'll still be here in September.
I hope you’re right (in terms of getting our money back). I don’t think he’s proved his value, and expect the owners will have seen the same.

That said, I accept most people rate Berge much higher than I do.

if 4 premier league clubs are after him i think we could get 25m for him maybe even cash plus a player or two
If that’s true, I’d agree.

I’ll be amazed if those clubs are after him though.

I hope you’re right (in terms of getting our money back). I don’t think he’s proved his value, and expect the owners will have seen the same.

We saw him as our best player - which he was struggling to achieve.

At any one of those teams he'd be an also-ran, which is where a player like Berge could fit in much better and get better as his skill set shows.

To be fair to your comment - think we all expected a bit more than he's shown up to press.

UTB

if 4 premier league clubs are after him i think we could get 25m for him maybe even cash plus a player or two
All those links smell like an agent putting stories out to the press to generate interest to me.

I rate him. I just don't think he's right for us or us for him and particularly not this season. He needs a functioning team around him and that's been sadly lacking.

He can go for me, he's decent but he's not torn up any trees.

If he was fit, we'd still have lost most games this season and his stock will have probably fallen as a result. From his perspective, seeing this shitshow go on around him and being injured for most of it has probably been a blessing.

I rate him. I just don't think he's right for us or us for him and particularly not this season. He needs a functioning team around him and that's been sadly lacking
That's exactly how I feel.

In a possession based team i think he'll flourish.

Not suited at all to how he had to play in a lot of games earlier this season.

You sound confident on one or two things. Not sure if that's opinion or knowledge.

If it's the latter, do you think most fans will be happy with the ambition shown next season?

That's exactly how I feel.

In a possession based team i think he'll flourish.

Not suited at all to how he had to play in a lot of games earlier this season.

You sound confident on one or two things. Not sure if that's opinion or knowledge.

If it's the latter, do you think most fans will be happy with the ambition shown next season?
Definitely opinion I'm afraid :)

Most fans will be happy if we're in the top 6 after 10 games and we're playing well. It's a fickle business. The flipside to that is that there's a real potential for it to all turn nasty if we're not performing well and we're not in the top 6.

Most fans will be happy if we're in the top 6 after 10 games

That will happen for me if we manage to keep a back 4 of Rammers, Bash/Egan and JOC.

And with wing back combinations of Baldock/Bogle on the right and Stevens(possible) or RND on the left we won't concede many

This has to be our main aim to start the season - be strong - don't concede - then start to build confidence further forward and grow into the season.

UTB

Whether you rate him or not (I do), if there are multiple clubs in for him we should be holding out for much more than we paid, huge potential.

Can we finally have some ambition to stop selling young players on the cheap (DCL, Che Adams etc.), just because they haven’t reached their potential yet. He will without a doubt.

If Liverpool are in for him, after they took the piss out of us with Ben Woodburn and Brewster (for now at least), if he goes there, we need to make sure they pay top dollar, and we insert a buy back clause so we can have him back when we get promoted next season.

Nice that we can let Liverpool develop our young players for us.

I completely agree with this. He’s got a lot of potential clearly, but he drifts through games, cannot seem to tackle fast skilful players and can’t mark people on set pieces.

He will be a very good player I’m sure, but ‘bursts’ is all he’s done for us. You can talk about being around better players all day, but real quality will stand out regardless. He hasn’t done that yet.

I’d love to keep him but if we can get our money back or more, we have to sell and buy someone who fits the team. We could buy promotion with that money and the Prince can keep the parachute payments if we’re skint.

Back
Top Bottom