Incoming? Sam Morsy

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It would be a small midfield pairing but it'd be a small price to pay to get someone who's strong, aggressive, good on the ball and a leader.

It's no surprise we're interested now that Paul Mitchell is here [oh, yes he is..]. Like Kenilworth, I'm concerned about having two squirts in midfield and I've not seen anything about Morsy to suggest he's a leader, Ricky?

Still, he is a good proper footballer and you can't have enough of those.

Morsy is a excellent league 1 footballer , who perhaps cannot make the step up.

If we had not signed that fella Fleck then yes .The other side of the coin , you cannot have enough good players.

Wilder , Knill , Mitchell judgements the ones that count . Another brick in the wall

It's no surprise we're interested now that Paul Mitchell is here [oh, yes he is..]. Like Kenilworth, I'm concerned about having two squirts in midfield and I've not seen anything about Morsy to suggest he's a leader, Ricky?

Still, he is a good proper footballer and you can't have enough of those.

Morsy was Chesterfield's captain at a young age (as O'Connell was at Rochdale) and has a considerable presence on the pitch, he's certainly no shrinking violet. He might be quite short but he's stronger than most central midfielders and is aggressive, and aggression's hugely important in this league.

Him and Fleck are fairly similar in that they're both good on the ball, a similar height and can play deeper, but Fleck has a better passing range and Morsy is more combative. They could definitely play together.

Morsy was Chesterfield's captain at a young age (as O'Connell was at Rochdale) and has a considerable presence on the pitch, he's certainly no shrinking violet. He might be quite short but he's stronger than most central midfielders and is aggressive, and aggression's hugely important in this league.

Him and Fleck are fairly similar in that they're both good on the ball, a similar height and can play deeper, but Fleck has a better passing range and Morsy is more combative. They could definitely play together.

No ACM and DCM nonsense, then. :)

Part exchange for Ché?

Always felt Morsey belongs at this club. Let's not miss him several times like we did Leon Clarke then eventually get him in 5 years when he's on his way down.

If we get Clarke and Morsey plus a keeper we will have a potential promotion side

Dominant kingpin Centre-back as well....

Would be an outstanding signing, albeit 18 months too late but better late than never.
We would need some height on the pitch from somewhere else though with him and Fleck playing together

They've signed a couple of M/F (Gilby / Powell) so may have some credence.
Perhaps their approach last season was to buy players familiar / capable in the league they were in with a view to ensuring promotion & then re-appraising (replacing) improving once promotion secured.

Hmmmmmm, interesting approach
Naw mate , it'll never catch on , improve year on year to get better . If only we'd done same with our managers .

Morsy is a player I've wanted at BDTBL for awhile...I believe he's been very keen on coming here for awhile also....let"s make this happen Blades!

He's a good footballer but the ideal time to sign him was last season. Typical that we'd want him now, after we've already bought a very similar player in Fleck. Not saying having two small central midfielders won't work, but it's a risk as both will have to be consistently strong in other areas to make up for the lack of height and physicality. A tall, physical type who can score goals would be a better option next to Fleck.

Morsy is a player I've wanted at BDTBL for awhile...I believe he's been very keen on coming here for awhile also....let"s make this happen Blades!

Won't do any harm that Paul Mitchell is here now as well and perhaps that could be an influence (unless they hate each other of course :D )

He's a good footballer but the ideal time to sign him was last season. Typical that we'd want him now, after we've already bought a very similar player in Fleck. Not saying having two small central midfielders won't work, but it's a risk as both will have to be consistently strong in other areas to make up for the lack of height and physicality. A tall, physical type who can score goals would be a better option next to Fleck.

You've got to make sacrifices though based on your budget and what's available, especially in the lower divisions. In this case we'd be sacrificing height and possibly goals from central midfield, but we'd be making ourselves stronger and would hope to compensate for those two things in other areas - signing Clarke would be a start, as well as another goalscoring winger. Often you've got to sign good players when they're available even if they don't tick every box, then adjust and find the balance.

Morsy and Fleck actually scored a combined 10 last season anyway, and that's considerably better than anything we've had from central midfield recently - and goalscoring still wasn't even our main problem last season.

Would be an excellent signing at that price. No club can afford to turn down top players at bargain prices, regardless of position. I could see us reverting to a wing back system with three across the middle, with Basham (or James Wallace) providing the height. Teams would have to get the ball to hurt us, which would be difficult with that midfield.I think Fleck should be capable of more goals and Wilder will bring them out of him.

Won't do any harm that Paul Mitchell is here now as well and perhaps that could be an influence (unless they hate each other of course :D )

Kin el 58 that's a bit of joined up thinking. Wages could get a problem unless that's why he's just 200K

Wigan fans hate him already....
What do you expect, #N2 wanted to splash the budget on him

Kin el 58 that's a bit of joined up thinking. Wages could get a problem unless that's why he's just 200K

What do you expect, #N2 wanted to splash the budget on him

Depends on the bonuses really which I think is where we're enticing players now.

Would be a really enviable league one pairing, if lacking in height. Hopefully we also have the upper hand on being up north, close to his previous club and potentially the PM link from before. Have we actually announced Paul Mitchell somewhere now?

I would be surprised if they'd let him go for that much. I guess he must want first team football. I'd also be surprised if a Championship team didn't take a punt on him for that money.

Well Morsy's 5,9...I know what you mean re: height/physicality, but it would be hard to get a L1 version of Viera..still, if we had Fleck/Morsy we could have our own 'L1 version' of Scholes/Keane...they didn't do bad for a couple of 'short-arses'...

Really like Morsy. But just wonder if he's a Wilder player?

He's certainly got the aggression & attitude, but he's most definitely a defensive midfielder, a "sitter", and not the all-round type Wilder seems to admire.

Would be absolutely perfect. If we sold Che and got Morsy that would be outstanding business.

If we sold Adams for £3million plus a 25% sell-on clause and bought Morsy with a small amount of the proceeds THAT would be outstanding business .... Morsy only cost Wigan £200,000.

UTB & FTP

They've signed a couple of M/F (Gilby / Powell) so may have some credence.
Perhaps their approach last season was to buy players familiar / capable in the league they were in with a view to ensuring promotion & then re-appraising (replacing) improving once promotion secured.

Hmmmmmm, interesting approach

It will never catch on at BDTBL ...... o_O

UTB & FTP

I didn't think that much of Morsy until Wigan came to the Lane. he is the right sided version of Fleck and also knows how to pick a forward pass. I wouldn't worry too much about the height as there will be times when it will get swapped about when needed, depending on the opposition.

In the high pressing system it usually is the top 4 who harass the defence who boot it away, defence plays it to your 2 midfielders to move it quickly and we have Duffy further forward to help create.

Be amazed if we get Morsy, didn't he make div one team of year ? Surely Wigan will want him at least as back up and it's not like they need the money !

Well Morsy's 5,9...I know what you mean re: height/physicality, but it would be hard to get a L1 version of Viera..still, if we had Fleck/Morsy we could have our own 'L1 version' of Scholes/Keane...they didn't do bad for a couple of 'short-arses'...

A great observation that has really made me think: Scholes & Keane. Strength and aggression can certainly compensate for height.

Echo what others have said - excellent signing if it comes off, one I wanted ages ago!

Back
Top Bottom