CONFIRMED Ryan Leonard

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Might be just me but is anyone getting a tad concerned that we're being linked with players all from the lower leagues? I'm all for signing players who want to be here for the game and not just a pay packet but I certainly hope we land a couple of tried and tested players from this division we are now in...
Ian Rush/ Brian Deane

Might be just me but is anyone getting a tad concerned that we're being linked with players all from the lower leagues? I'm all for signing players who want to be here for the game and not just a pay packet but I certainly hope we land a couple of tried and tested players from this division we are now in...

Going on that then, Peterborough must have been right mugs when signing Gayle & Maddison from non league? That's what separates the good managers from the shit, isn't it? Being able to spot talent and integrate it into the team? And the greatest English manager in my lifetime signed Crosby, Birtles and Pearce from where? His title winning captain was signed from Hartlepool. His CB started at Bristol Rovers, etc, etc.

I see your point, but look how well Barnsley, Brentford and Preston did this season. All three teams invested in players from lower leagues. On the other hand Rotherham signed loads of championship has been's (Blackstock, Halford, Broadfoot etc) which just kept them up last season and then rock bottom this season.
Spot on mate. I don't see how any fan can be concerned about anything Wilder does tbh.

Spot on mate. I don't see how any fan can be concerned about anything Wilder does tbh.

I think when you are fishing in a shallow pond, there's always the risk you'll get a dud (Hussey for example).

But I'd also say that is just as big a risk when you are throwing the money about too.

I think when you are fishing in a shallow pond, there's always the risk you'll get a dud (Hussey for example).

But I'd also say that is just as big a risk when you are throwing the money about too.
The risk of getting a dud is the same for any team fishing in any pond, Di Maria to Man U for example. Thing with Wilder is that we won't ever end up with a dud or duds that completely cripple the club. Wilder won't put us at risk by throwing money about and if we do end up with a dud like Hussey we won't really lose out too much.

The risk of getting a dud is the same for any team fishing in any pond, Di Maria to Man U for example. Thing with Wilder is that we won't ever end up with a dud or duds that completely cripple the club. Wilder won't put us at risk by throwing money about and if we do end up with a dud like Hussey we won't really lose out too much.

Exactly.

I still remember the hole some of Robson's duds left us in.

Nail.On.Head!

Just because a certain player is playing in the lower leagues doesn't mean they aren't good enough for the league above.

You could take several players from each of the Top 10 clubs in League 1 and they would probably make the step up comfortably and even probably some from the lower end.

All the players we are being linked with, Maddison Oztumer Holmes Leonard etc have all shone this season so no reason they couldn't do it in the league above.

Despite what our porcine neighbours would have us believe it really isn't that great a division.

"...Despite what our porcine neighbours would have us believe it really isn't that great a division..."

I think the play-offs are showing that

Just the type of player we should be signing. With OShea refusing our contract there's going to be another central midfielder needed and assuming Carutthers stays we'd have Fleck, Coutts, Carutthers and potentially this guy.

The big money will be spent on a center back and another forward I should think and they are likely to take more time to tie down.

I don't see any problem with signing players from the lower leagues, as long as they look to be among the best players in their division, which seems to be the case here.

Every player is unproven until they're proven. Anyone can let another team take a chance on raw talent then shell out mega bucks to buy them once proven. It takes forward thinking, guile and confidence in your training techniques to actually do it yourself. I have complete faith in Wilder that he knows what he's doing.

I'm not worried I think the difference between a 200k player and an 3million £ player these days is sometimes simply they were part of a promotion winning / semi successful team who no longer wants them.

Look at vydra last summer etc etc compared to the fact you could have probably picked up connor houlihan 4 months earlier for 500k.

Players don't start out costing 3/4 mill. Someone somewhere brings them in, gets them playing and proving they're good enough.

We need to have a bit of luck with our transfers but spending 4mill on an proven average championship player isn't necessarily the way to go.

I'm not worried I think the difference between a 200k player and an 3million £ player these days is sometimes simply they were part of a promotion winning / semi successful team who no longer wants them.

Look at vydra last summer etc etc compared to the fact you could have probably picked up connor houlihan 4 months earlier for 500k.

Players don't start out costing 3/4 mill. Someone somewhere brings them in, gets them playing and proving they're good enough.

We need to have a bit of luck with our transfers but spending 4mill on an proven average championship player isn't necessarily the way to go.
Couldn't agree more! I wanted to say that but didn't really know how. Bang on B14Nco!

Yeah let's ignore the lower league players. I mean, what a bunch of mugs Spurs were buying that Dele Alli character. What a waste of £5m !!

Yeah let's ignore the lower league players. I mean, what a bunch of mugs Spurs were buying that Dele Alli character. What a waste of £5m !!
Didn't they sign that Walker from a team in the division below too? Seem to recall so.

Over six foot, athletic, versatile. Well regarded at his current club. Sounds promising. Seems like another Basham type which many have said we could do with in our midfield in the championship as we might not always get away with someone as attacking as Duffy alongside Fleck and Coutts.

Whilst it's not a super exciting marquee signing that gets everyone excited, it's yet another incredibly sensible type of signing for a club working to a sensible budget.

I am guessing he is to fit the role of sitting midfielder, a few times last season CW changed to go 3 in midfield when taking Duffy off from his role in behind. Now we could take Duffy off from in front of the midfield and put Leonard just behind Fleck and Coutts.

Plus I read he has a long throw, and we could easily put out a team of giants and just launch it into them.

I am guessing he is to fit the role of sitting midfielder, a few times last season CW changed to go 3 in midfield when taking Duffy off from his role in behind. Now we could take Duffy off from in front of the midfield and put Leonard just behind Fleck and Coutts.

Plus I read he has a long throw, and we could easily put out a team of giants and just launch it into them.

For the record, his long throw isn't that effective. He seems to get more height than distance on the them, otherwise, as I've stated previously, an excellent player

I'm hoping he's a strong tackling, energetic midfielder who can make runs into the box, scores and doesn't give the ball away.

I.e. Monty with goals in him and can pass

Last year of contract it seems. Not familiar with the player but highly rated by Southend fans, there's almost a resigned acceptance that their better players will move on......something vaguely familiar about that, and probably the lot of any Div 1 and 2 clubs. As long as everyone feels they're on the receiving end of a half-decent deal then worth doing. Understandably we seem to be associated with every player and his dog, understandable I suppose, but no doubt Wilder's targets will joining us at some point soon. Seems he's already got a SUFC tattoo, good of him to be so thoughtful!

For the record, his long throw isn't that effective. He seems to get more height than distance on the them, otherwise, as I've stated previously, an excellent player
Yes but it's the speed at which it re-enters the earth's atmosphere that is so devastating.

Back
Top Bottom