CONFIRMED Ryan Leonard

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Me again, the Southend fan who keeps popping up once every six months(ish).

Congratulations on winning the title, fully deserved!

Our local paper is reporting that you are interested in signing our player of the year, Ryan Leonard:
http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/blues/15291257.Sheffield_United_interested_in_Blues__star_Leonard/
Enjoyed my trip to Sarfend this season
Not the first time I've been to Southend but the first time I've been to Roots Hall.
Proper atmosphere and a good tight ground where you get an excellent view of the game.
Good fish and chips too :)

What would be a 'substantial' fee I wonder. 500k with some ad ons?

Might be just me but is anyone getting a tad concerned that we're being linked with players all from the lower leagues? I'm all for signing players who want to be here for the game and not just a pay packet but I certainly hope we land a couple of tried and tested players from this division we are now in...

As for Leonard, I remember how well he did against us in the 2-2 draw in your first season back up. Where does he play exactly?

Here you go mate. I'll get back to you in a mo with the map co-ordinates.

Roots Hall
Capacity: 12,392 (all seated)
Address: Victoria Ave, Southend, SS2 6NQ
Telephone: 01702 304050
Fax: 01702 304124
Ticket Office: 08444 770077
Pitch Size: 110 x 74 yards
Pitch Type: Grass

Cheers for the good will and to you too. I'm one of the few who really likes and rates Phil Brown - he's done a cracking job for you guys. As for Leonard, I remember how well he did against us in the 2-2 draw in your first season back up. Where does he play exactly?

Yeah, Lenny scored our first in the 2-2 draw, half volley from the edge of the box, in off the post. He plays centre midfield but we initially brought him in as a right back from Plymouth. Paul Sturrock, our gaffer at the time, was the one who signed him.

Some on our forum reckon he's worth up to £750,000 and I, personally would agree. He's an excellent player and I feel we'll do really well to keep hold of him. If he stays and we don't go up, he'll leave. He has one year left on his contract and we have a habit of letting our good players leave for free...i.e. Dan Bentley & Jack Payne

Here you go mate. I'll get back to you in a mo with the map co-ordinates.

Roots Hall
Capacity: 12,392 (all seated)
Address: Victoria Ave, Southend, SS2 6NQ
Telephone: 01702 304050
Fax: 01702 304124
Ticket Office: 08444 770077
Pitch Size: 110 x 74 yards
Pitch Type: Grass

????

Might be just me but is anyone getting a tad concerned that we're being linked with players all from the lower leagues? I'm all for signing players who want to be here for the game and not just a pay packet but I certainly hope we land a couple of tried and tested players from this division we are now in...

Know where you're coming from mate to a degree but I fully expect one or two of those to appear before the season.

Personally I think they will be trying to get at least a million for him as they value him that highly (the are trying to make him their top earner and get him to sign a new 3 year contract with them).

Up to Utd to have a word with the Southend directors and dangle a few quid their way to get them interested in the moolah. If they need to cash then I could see Utd getting him cheaper than what the Tan Man is wanting. Bit of bluff and counterbluff to be be done on this one I think.

Not me. I have 100% faith in the manager who has won 199 points over two seasons.

With a year left on his contract I wouldn't see the fee being above 500k.

And if we'd be signing him initially as a squad player then I don't see us wanting to pay 500k. Maybe 350k tops.

I think we'd be more likely to get someone on a free transfer if they're not highly likely to be a regular, someone like Tom Adeyemi.

What would be a 'substantial' fee I wonder. 500k with some ad ons?

I don't see why we should have to pay more for him than we did for the likes of Moore and O'Connell.

£300K + Whiteman on loan for the season + Add-ons

Seems as though our transfer dealings will be sweeping the best talent/ potential from L1/L2

It doesn't worry me to be honest. I watched the playoff game last night and 90% of the players on the pitch i had never heard of. I also thought Reading were awful !!!

CW has gained my trust when it comes to signings. Hussey being the only duffer out of all last seasons new players is a cracking ratio of good against poor signings.

I think the best of League One will serve us just nicely, mixed in with one or two David Unsworth, Neil Shipperley freebie signings for experience and nous of this league.

Under contract. Key player at one of the better Third Division clubs. Multiple player of the year awards. Still young and hungry.

For all this talk of "signing lower league players", this is a signing we just wouldn't have been able to make last season.

Really hope this is true and it comes off, personally. A cracking player, & would offer us something different to the type of midfielders we've already got.

I see your point, but look how well Barnsley, Brentford and Preston did this season. All three teams invested in players from lower leagues. On the other hand Rotherham signed loads of championship has been's (Blackstock, Halford, Broadfoot etc) which just kept them up last season and then rock bottom this season.

I think there are a fair few players in League One that are more than capable of making the step up

Just like there are plenty of Championship players that could step up to the Prem

We have the best manager to find them and then get the best out of them

A DEan Hammond or a Darius Henderson type - agreed :eek:

I think there are a fair few players in League One that are more than capable of making the step up

Just like there are plenty of Championship players that could step up to the Prem

We have the best manager to find them and then get the best out of them

Nail.On.Head!

Just because a certain player is playing in the lower leagues doesn't mean they aren't good enough for the league above.

You could take several players from each of the Top 10 clubs in League 1 and they would probably make the step up comfortably and even probably some from the lower end.

All the players we are being linked with, Maddison Oztumer Holmes Leonard etc have all shone this season so no reason they couldn't do it in the league above.

Despite what our porcine neighbours would have us believe it really isn't that great a division.

I'm not getting too concerned to be honest, it seems as though we're just cherry picking some of the best talent from L1 and L2 which is a recruiting policy we should've adopted years ago but didn't, if we had done then maybe we wouldn't have been in this mess or for not as long as we have! I'm sure CW knows we need a couple of Championship experienced players that still have a lot to offer.

The fact that Southend have exercised a clause in their favour to extend his contract by another year at the end of April might put a spoke on the works.

That said, he only has one year left on his deal and it is probably up to Utd to value the lad on this basis and then try and force the issue. The lad himself.would probably jump at the chance and he would be looking at decent pay increase also you would suspect.

In six months time his value will be a lot less than it is now though and I could see Utd going back in for him in January if the price is too high at the moment. Tricky one for all concerned though.

If Southend get greedy though then CW can always remind them that there are a lot.of other players out there who he can turn his attention to.

For the record, ive seen a bit of this lad in pasing and he is a decent player. He would definately be a decent championship player. Hes a big lad, very athletic and is a good footballer. Utd should test the water with half a million quid and take it from there.

£200k will do it

For all this talk of "signing lower league players", this is a signing we just wouldn't have been able to make last season.

Exactly, I was going to post similar.

We've been wanting to sign these types for years and we started doing it last season, but we've never truly had the budget to snap up the best under contract players in L1 and L2.

Being in the Championship gives us the possibility to truly do that, and being in the Championship shouldn't put us off signing players from the lower divisions, and it doesn't look like it will.

And our management should know those leagues better than anybody so it could be a very successful strategy for us.

Back
Top Bottom