Rob Staton

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Always seems to big up the Blades and dislike Owls. Thought he was a Rovrum fan actually........

I spoke to Staton very briefly at the Warnock/Blackwell unveiling at the NYS a few years back as I was there with all the press.

I asked him about his allegiance and his words went somat like that he grew up a Rotherham fan but likes Wednesday. It may be he just said that as we were at the Rotherham press conference I don't know?

I thought this was well known? Regardless, he's a pretty good broadcaster, and has done some excellent United stuff.

I remember hearing a Football heaven special a few years ago celebrating the praise and grumble anniversary.

The guest presenters all made a point that when you visit all the local clubs, meet and work with the local managers.
Then you genuinely grow a desire for ALL the local clubs be do well and be successful.

It's similar with football players.
Lee Gregory grew up a Unitedite but now plays for Wednesday,
you can bet that when he leaves football he will have grown a genuine fondness (in some form) for SWFC.

Always thought Staton was more a Rotherham fan but his son is a Wednesday fan, and he takes him to S6 sometimes.
Regardless, think Staton is good at his job, doesn't pull any punches and it's quite critical/ harsh on SWFC.

Yeah I don't mind Rob... He clearly likes PH after his outburst on blades heaven defending him after not getting in the nominations for MOTY..
Smokescreen

I thought he was a pig, never bothered about it but thought him and Seth both pigs
Think Seth properly “came out” as a Blade a couple of years ago.

Walkers out and proud, Staton is still technically in the closet, but about as convincing as George Michael just before the Beverley Hills Cock incident.

What winds me up, is that BBC can use RDS or whatever protocol they use to update a radio display with what artist is playing on a music station, but they won't use the same system to show you the score.
Yeah that annoys me too. They do it for the cricket, but not the football.

I thought he was a pig, never bothered about it but thought him and Seth both pigs

Seth is a Blade as well mate, but by his own admission it was more about who he grew up watching and he wasn't averse to watching the Pigs either, especially as it was his job.
Skip to 24:10 on this vid, if you haven't seen it already.

The thing that grinds my gears the most about Radio Sheffield football coverage is their live commentaries.

BBC guidelines for live football commentaries on radio say that the scroeline should be given every 60-90 seconds. The Radio Sheffield guys have clearly never read this because they can go five minutes or more during commentary without saying what the score is.

I'm often driving the car, screaming at the radio 'WHAT'S THE F*CKING SCORE?!'

Proper winds me up.
Ditto.

Think Seth properly “came out” as a Blade a couple of years ago.

Walkers out and proud, Staton is still technically in the closet, but about as convincing as George Michael just before the Beverley Hills Cock incident.
Did wonder with Walker when he has been doing the recent United stuff but was never an issue to question

ok, i dont really care either way

but to be fair to rob staton, he is very good on blades heaven. he has a picture of bramall lane (albeit lionesses semi final) as his background & was as upset as hecky & ndiaye awards omission as we were. so lets not be too critical of him he might have been then & if you had to push him to nail his colour to the mast, he may say wednesday but more i think he is just a neutral person who likes all the clubs now as he will be friends with managers at all local clubs & hopes they all do well

I think all the guys on Radio Sheffield are excellent - I live in Lancashire and have listened to all sorts of radio stations over the country and the guys on RS are by far the best Ive heard - dont care who they support !

Nobody beats good ol' Seth Bennett. Poor lad having to field calls from angry illiterate fans + McCabe acting as an angry illiterate fan.

I miss the opening gambit of "Now then Seth" and then a 5 minute lecture on how Blackwell is ruining the club, despite them being the same fans to shout "gerritforudunited".

Seth is a Blade as well mate, but by his own admission it was more about who he grew up watching and he wasn't averse to watching the Pigs either, especially as it was his job.
Skip to 24:10 on this vid, if you haven't seen it already.

He's a bisexual!! 😲

In other news, big boat hits iceberg in Atlantic and human fluffs lines when stepping on moon for first time.

I have to say, I like Staton. As a broadcaster he's top drawer and always remains impartial. That said, I've not listened to P&G/PorG for a good couple of years, so he may well now have a tattoo of Darren Moore on his forehead for all I know. Not that it would be obvious, what with him being on the wireless and all that. In fact, do you know what? He probably has and is using his non-TV status as a cover so no one will know. Booooo, boooooo piggy! Don't think we don't all know you've had Darren Moore's face tattooed over your own face. In fact, he probably IS Darren Moore. Booooo! pig! Don't think you've got us fooled cos we know better. Oink Oink!

Statons the best actual commentator for informing you what’s happening on the pitch. I like Giddings as a bloke and a presenter, but when he’s commentating I think he forgets the people he’s talking too can’t actually see whats going on.

Statons the best actual commentator for informing you what’s happening on the pitch. I like Giddings as a bloke and a presenter, but when he’s commentating I think he forgets the people he’s talking too can’t actually see whats going on.
Adam oxley pissed all over both of them.

But in general, standard of radio sheffield is immense compared to football coverage in other areas of the country

It's similar with football players.
Lee Gregory grew up a Unitedite but now plays for Wednesday,
you can bet that when he leaves football he will have grown a genuine fondness (in some form) for SWFC.

Same with Richie Humphreys. Massive Blade despite playing for Wendnesday for years. He was sat behind me at Wembley the other week.

I think he’s a self-righteous bellend.
That’s how he comes across to me - I’m genuinely shocked at the support for him on here. The few minutes of commentary I’ve heard from him are usually him waffling on about himself or the food in the press room. Him and Pearson together come across as typical Wendies who regard themselves as Real Madrid level.

My favourite RS commentary in recent times has to be the clip of the goal we scored against Norwich, and for the first 20 seconds it's Giddings bumbling on about tractors or something. Top notch.

I can't believe Giddings has only been mentioned once and not even in a critical way, he's shocking, his interviews use colloquialisms & analogies instead of plain English, he ties the young players in knots & they're forever asking him to "say again" or "sorry?" Who's he trying to impress? His commentaries are even worse,he always uses the wrong intonation & just raises his voice to try & create excitement, makes it sound like a screamer into the top corner a la Tommy Doyle....& then in the same voice excitedly informs us it went out for a throw in! Im sorry but he's in the wrong job UTB

Back
Top Bottom