RIP Steve Conroy

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

RIP Steve
Him and Jim Brown were United's keepers when I first started supporting the Blades.

RIP Steve, Condolences to family and friends. Sad news.

Always sad to learn another Blade has passed away.

RIP Steve

he was the back up Keeper to Keith Waugh when I first started going so I think I only saw him play a couple of times, I remember having the 4th Division Champions poster on my bedroom wall for years as a kid and he was on there.

Played against Liverpool in a famous 1-0 victory in 1978. One of my all time United highlights. RIP.

My Dad likes to tell the story of watching that match with a mate of a mate off the Manor.

Liverpool were obviously throwing the kitchen sink at United to equalise and someone (my Dad reckons probably Dalglish but he's not sure) hit an absolute rocket towards the top corner, a certain goal until Conroy got a fingertip to it to turn it over. The entire Kop roared its approval, all except this mate of a mate, who waited until the hubbub died down and said in an unimpressed voice 'pft, that's what he's there for'.

Sad news indeed. R.I.P. Steve.
Did he used to be the Landlord at a pub in Dronfield? The Hyde Park I think.

sure steve conroy was in goal when we won 2 - 1 at millmoor in october 79 silent will no doubt let me know

sure steve conroy was in goal when we won 2 - 1 at millmoor in october 79 silent will no doubt let me know
I wasnt at the match as I was playing in a football match but, yes, Conroy played.

His debut was in the 2-0 win against Hull in August 1977. played 2 more league games plus one League Cup before Jim Brown returned. The following season Haslam decided to make Conroy the first choice keeper, he played in all competitive games for the 1978-79 apart from the home games against Sunderland in the league and Leeds in the League Cup (Nicky Johns took over the jersey for both games). After relegation to the 3rd division, he was still our first choice keeper (missing the away win at Brentford- Ramsbottom took his place) until breaking his arm at St Mirren in the Anglo Scottish Cup in December 1979. He returned to the first team for the cup replay defeat at Chesterfield and played for the rest of the season apart from the 5-2 defeat at Swindon (Richardson had a disaster of a game as Klanger who was there will tell you about one of the goals). He played only 1 league game during 1981-82 season (1-1 draw at Mansfield). His last season for us was in 1982-83 playing 18 league, 2 FA Cup and 5 FL games from the start of the season until the 3-2 defeat at Wigan in December 1982

I wasnt at the match as I was playing in a football match but, yes, Conroy played.

His debut was in the 2-0 win against Hull in August 1977. played 2 more league games plus one League Cup before Jim Brown returned. The following season Haslam decided to make Conroy the first choice keeper, he played in all competitive games for the 1978-79 apart from the home games against Sunderland in the league and Leeds in the League Cup (Nicky Johns took over the jersey for both games). After relegation to the 3rd division, he was still our first choice keeper (missing the away win at Brentford- Ramsbottom took his place) until breaking his arm at St Mirren in the Anglo Scottish Cup in December 1979. He returned to the first team for the cup replay defeat at Chesterfield and played for the rest of the season apart from the 5-2 defeat at Swindon (Richardson had a disaster of a game as Klanger who was there will tell you about one of the goals). He played only 1 league game during 1981-82 season (1-1 draw at Mansfield). His last season for us was in 1982-83 playing 18 league, 2 FA Cup and 5 FL games from the start of the season until the 3-2 defeat at Wigan in December 1982
we were on the tivoli that day 3 sides of the ground packed with blades think crowd was 20k and 15k of those were blades after going a goal down jeff bourne pen then a great far post header by barry butlin won it for us in the 2nd half ps is there any footage of this game silent never seen any

My Dad likes to tell the story of watching that match with a mate of a mate off the Manor.

Liverpool were obviously throwing the kitchen sink at United to equalise and someone (my Dad reckons probably Dalglish but he's not sure) hit an absolute rocket towards the top corner, a certain goal until Conroy got a fingertip to it to turn it over. The entire Kop roared its approval, all except this mate of a mate, who waited until the hubbub died down and said in an unimpressed voice 'pft, that's what he's there for'.
Possibly the loudest and greatest night on the kop I've had in all the time I've followed the mighty blades ,we did magic,shame about the next round

Yes he was.

I was not at the match, but looking at the Clarebrough/Kirkham record book, it shows the team as being: Conroy, Cutbush, Garner, Kenworthy, MacPhail, Matthews, de Goey, Bourne, Butlin, Speight, Sabella.

RIP.

Back
Top Bottom