Retained list 2023/24

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Biggest news is who's not on the list in a way. Hope it means McBurnie, Egan and Jebbo are staying because all three, if fit I know, will be big players next season, particularly McBurnie. Some criticise him but he has played well this season. We just need to sort out those fitness issues. At 27 he's coming into his prime too.

Releasing Wes is a myopic decision unless we also intend to sell Garbage + get a goalie that's better than Wes.
All the noises coming out of the club since January seem to be that Wes had ample opportunity to sign a new contract but wants out. Presumably took offence at a demonstrably worse goalie being brought in on higher wages to be no.1 ahead of him, and who can blame him for that

All the noises coming out of the club since January seem to be that Wes had ample opportunity to sign a new contract but wants out. Presumably took offence at a demonstrably worse goalie being brought in on higher wages to be no.1 ahead of him, and who can blame him for that
and who could blame him being told hes not good enough then having to watch from the bench at the complete clown who was brought in to replace him

Lowe is just too injury prone, he can't be relied upon to be fit. When he plays he's decent but nothing amazing either and can be replaced with a loan if necessarily or free transfer. He probably won't with Osborn and RND. The latter also injury prone but much better if we can get him fit, big if sadly.

But didn't we bring in Gbric because Wes was not accepting our offer ?
I forget the chronology.
But anyhow , we've made a massive mess of things.
We fail to keep the better goalie coz we don't agree terms with him ...
And then his replacement on a 4 year contract is way worse.
So now we lose a solid Championship keeper and are stuck with a poor one.
Only dem Blades could manage this.

All the noises coming out of the club are, very often, a load of bollocks.

I was on holiday for the Morgs one which was disappointing as I was a huge fan.

I went to one of Tracey's testimonial dinners and I'm pretty sure he had a testimonial game but can't think who against at present.

Went to Dane's too.
I think Simon Tracey’s might have been the home friendly against Spurs in 04. Was a run of the mill pre season game rather than anything out of the ordinary and I think he played a half in goal although could be wrong.

Wilder obviously doesn’t like or rate Wes. Don’t think he saw Wes as No1 next year. Which given his performances this year you’ve got to agree with.

Wes seemingly doesn’t want to be a No2 or accept a package reflective of this and wants out. Heard rumblings he’s got his eye on a No3 gig at a bigger team?

All fine, no fuck ups, no drama.

The only mistake is Grbic being bobbins.

I suspect he will be gone by start of next year and remembered as a reasonably costly mistake.

No 1 - New
No 2 - Davies
No 3 - Faxon / Assimah

Whilst I’m no expert there are plenty of GKs better or at worst comparable to Wes available.

It's time to put up or shut up to the players who are still looking at thier options..

If I was wilder I'd be telling them that decide now if you're staying, if not I'll free the wages up for your replacements..

Only mcburnie, who's injury prone don't forget and Egan who's injured and Jebbo who's permanently injured, are worth keeping.. (I'd take wes over girbic but that's obvious) the rest I understand why they're going..

I think those 3 players are not fully out of contract just yet, so they have wages to still pick up, then I think jebbo and mcburnie will leave...think Egan will sign up again..

I don't get some comments I've seen on twitter.. "would've kept Basham". Do people forget he's 36 with an horrific injury?

Players do eventually have to leave one day, even if they are blades. Moving on.
yeah its like billy sharp 12 months ago. i love billy sharp but i also realise that its right decision to let them go

Sad, but inevitable for those going and I am glad that we have announced it before the final game, this season. At least the club seems to have learnt from past mistakes, here.

I really hope we can do something for them going, especially Basham!

I guess those we are awaiting news on are still TBC. We do need to draw a line in the sand here though and say if we have not got an agreement in place by the time the squad go off for the summer, then that's it. Otherwise we could have uncertainty on 4/5 spots in the side right up until pre-season.

Sheffield United wanted to keep George Baldock at the club but were unable to match Panathinaikos' contract offer. Baldock will join the Greek club when his contract at United expires, and has recently been in Greece to prepare for the move.

[@dannyhall04]

Sheffield United wanted to keep George Baldock at the club but were unable to match Panathinaikos' contract offer. Baldock will join the Greek club when his contract at United expires, and has recently been in Greece to prepare for the move.

[@dannyhall04]
He'll be happy with that, a lower grade football, a place in the sun and only 26 games to play glttl

But didn't we bring in Gbric because Wes was not accepting our offer ?
I forget the chronology.
But anyhow , we've made a massive mess of things.
We fail to keep the better goalie coz we don't agree terms with him ...
And then his replacement on a 4 year contract is way worse.
So now we lose a solid Championship keeper and are stuck with a poor one.
Only dem Blades could manage this.
And we’re down 2m quid in the process too.

As you were piling on, I didn’t want you to miss anything!

Morgs had one circa 2015 I think although can’t recall the opposition. I had tickets for Tramlines so didn’t go

Did Simon Tracey ever get one?

Dane Whitehouse had one at the end of 2000/01 - Blades present day vs early 90s. Warnock put himself on up top and bagged a tap in.

I was on holiday for the Morgs one which was disappointing as I was a huge fan.

I went to one of Tracey's testimonial dinners and I'm pretty sure he had a testimonial game but can't think who against at present.

Went to Dane's too.

Tracey had a testimonial game against Middlesbrough, from memory, Juninho scored a free kick (which might have been against Kenny, who played one half, rather than Tracey).

Hope the club save a few £ and fine him 2 weeks wages for ignoring the rules.

Will Basham get a testimonial for ten years at the club?
Hopefully after he recovers from injury, might not be for a few years though, it took 5 years for Morgan to get his testimonial against Newcastle.

Notable that Jebbo, Egan, Oli Mac, Bogle, Amissah and Adam Davis aren't mentioned.
That won't be the full list, imagine there will be more names when the actual list comes out. And it was reported a few days ago that Bogle, RND and Osborn will sign 1-year extensions.

Newcastle was the opposition for Morgs’ testimonial, finished 2-2 with Kieron Freeman scoring a screamer to equalise
One of the best goals I've seen live this, don't recall there being video footage of it so it may have been amplified in my memory - but glad I'm not the only one who remembers it :D

Heard rumblings he’s got his eye on a No3 gig at a bigger team?
What a shame if his aspiration still in his prime years as a GK is to put out cones

Hes not prem class, but is a solid Championship GK, and the best at the club today

Hopefully he can get a move that suits, but if thats pocketing £30k a week to play once every 2 years then hes lost a bit of respect, and maybe CW is right to let him go

Wilder obviously doesn’t like or rate Wes. Don’t think he saw Wes as No1 next year. Which given his performances this year you’ve got to agree with.

Wes seemingly doesn’t want to be a No2 or accept a package reflective of this and wants out. Heard rumblings he’s got his eye on a No3 gig at a bigger team?

All fine, no fuck ups, no drama.

The only mistake is Grbic being bobbins.

I suspect he will be gone by start of next year and remembered as a reasonably costly mistake.

No 1 - New
No 2 - Davies
No 3 - Faxon / Assimah

Whilst I’m no expert there are plenty of GKs better or at worst comparable to Wes available.
What’s the story with Wharton?

He’s a bit like Milton in Office Space.

He’s been for 2 years and looks like he’s sliding nicely into the shoes of Jake Eastwood!

What’s the story with Wharton?

He’s a bit like Milton in Office Space.

He’s been for 2 years and looks like he’s sliding nicely into the shoes of Jake Eastwood!
Joined from Chesterfield two years ago, spent this season on loan at Gainsborough in the Northern Premier League (Step 3 / tier 7). Who knows what his future holds.

Sad as it is to see, can't really argue too much about the 5 released so far.

• Basham - Great servant, horrendous injury. Had he played a full season given we are being relegated may have been offered a new 1 year deal.
  • Norwood - Again great servant, has seen his playing time become more limited over the past 15 months, and the heights he set prior he hasn't reached very often for a while. (Although start of last season he was pretty good!)
  • Baldock - Same again, good servant. When on form he's a great little RWB for us in either top 2 divisions. Has struggled with injuries a bit last 2 seasons and that probably has played into clubs decision too. I also think Baldock wants his crack at Greek superleague and that will also mean European competitions too!
  • Wes - He came in 3 seasons ago and slotted right in and made Olsen look like a real muppet. Did well both seasons in the champ. Always felt that we needed better competition or an upgrade upon PL return. Overall despite his mistakes at times this season he has been the better of the 2 keepers by a mile, and lets be honest he's face far too many shots on his goal which even for the best keepers will result in more conceded. HOWEVER, I do think there are keepers around we can get to replace competently and in theory improve on him.
  • Lowe - He's never quite hit the heights here like Bogle has done. And he's struggled with injuries throughout. Has had some good performances at times for us, arguably most have been last season. RND if he can get himself fit and back to form should be an improvement (Question marks though). We will need another LB/LWB as well.

Wes has to want to sign a deal. He doesn't want to sign what he's been offered
Wonder if he's got a gig with Man City?

Scott Carson's contract is up now. He's 38.

I wonder if Wes is fancying that and all the trappings that go with it, even if gametime will be low?

I think I went to that one. Didn't the ref pull a red card on Morgs the first time he made a tackle then burst out laughing?
Yeah, remember standing on the Kop as he got ready to take a free kick right in front of the kop and all you could hear was "If Morgan scores we're on the pitch", the he hit it well over the bar

[@dannyhall04]

What’s a Grecian Urn?

Back
Top Bottom