Retained list 2023/24

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

this is the part of football i hate & you think it would get easier but it doesnt. i wish like billy, we could keep bash, Baldock, wes & Norwood at their peak forever. they have given us incredible memories, what great people & players they were in the time at the club. im as furious as George to have to miss it through work

Basham - incredible servant to this club, no moaning plays anywhere hes asked to, model professional & gave us amazing leeds moment

Baldock - the best captain we never had, i feel like hes the modern morgs, it will be very hard to replace his passion

Wes - he was integral to promotion. we shouldnt let the premier league cloud how good he was in the championship. we dont make the play offs without him wes won us 9-12 pts on his own that 1st season

Norwood - the greatest passer ive ever seen for blades & may ever see

Notable that Jebbo, Egan, Oli Mac, Bogle, Amissah and Adam Davis aren't mentioned.
Not really. It makes sense that we'd make more of a deal of those five leaving given the number of games they've played. Amissah and Davies have barely played and I think we're hopeful of keeping the others here.

Sunday is about these lads. Apart from Wes and maybe Norwood the other 3 won't be playing.

I think they deserve a good send off on Sunday regardless of the result of the match.

Basham most certainly deserves a testimonial game.

Some manoeuvre by the admins including Lowe and Wes on the same post with Bash Boldock and Norwood.

They should have shared a 1 paragraph announcement.

It's incredibly sad to see those three go, they were a major part of my favourite Blades period ever. I'd even go as far as to say it was the best spell of my life as everything else seemed to fall in to place at the same time.

Baldock may get another go, but it's also a massive shame that they were robbed of European football, which would have been the peak of their careers.

Not really. It makes sense that we'd make more of a deal of those five leaving given the number of games they've played. Amissah and Davies have barely played and I think we're hopeful of keeping the others here.

Either hoping to do a deal for them or in Amissah’s/ Davis didnt want them in the same post as some club legends

Yeah, I suppose this isn't the official 'Retained List' but an acknowledgement for these special players. I'm all for the sentiment, but give us the whole story.

I do wonder what this means for Egan and Mcburnie. Not announced they have signed, not announced they are released. Is it a case of 'here is your offer' from the club and the player will continue to weigh up if they can get better elsewhere?

Notable that Jebbo, Egan, Oli Mac, Bogle, Amissah and Adam Davis aren't mentioned.
Davies and Assimah will probably be released but won't be on that previous post because they're hardly great servants because they're fringe players.

Egan and McBurnie would be included in this announcement if we thought they were leaving.

You would think we have some sort of agreement in place for each of them
Isn't there an option on Egan for another year?

McBurnie has a contract offer, I would think that Wilder has given him a deadline to sign it or leave.

Sunday is about these lads. Apart from Wes and maybe Norwood the other 3 won't be playing.

I think they deserve a good send off on Sunday regardless of the result of the match.

Basham most certainly deserves a testimonial game.
Testimonials are a thing of the past when footballers were earning a hundred quid a week, it enabled them to buy a papershop.

Yeah, I suppose this isn't the official 'Retained List' but an acknowledgement for these special players. I'm all for the sentiment, but give us the whole story.

This ^^^.
Normally you wouldn't announce a retained list until the season has officially finished, but the club obviously didn't want this to go the same way as Sharp and O'Connell and not allow them a send off from the fans. So they decided to give an update on these five specifically.

I assume there will be an official retained list announced in a few weeks and I expect Davies and Amissah to be on that. Presume we want to keep Egan and McBurnie (as well as Bogle which we already know about) so contract talks ongoing. Jebbison we know has been made an offer. TBC on RND, but even if he hasn't been made an offer, he wouldn't be included on this announcement today.

Testimonials are a thing of the past when footballers were earning a hundred quid a week, it enabled them to buy a papershop.
Tend to be for charity these days if they're held

Tend to be for charity these days if they're held
Morgs had one circa 2015 I think although can’t recall the opposition. I had tickets for Tramlines so didn’t go

Did Simon Tracey ever get one?

Dane Whitehouse had one at the end of 2000/01 - Blades present day vs early 90s. Warnock put himself on up top and bagged a tap in.

How much has it saved us?

Let’s say average around 30k per week across the five.

Must be near on 8m per annum saving on the wage bill?

Morgs had one circa 2015 I think although can’t recall the opposition. I had tickets for Tramlines so didn’t go

Dane Whitehouse had one at the end of 2000/01 - Blades present day vs early 90s. Warnock put himself on up top and bagged a tap in.
I was on holiday for the Morgs one which was disappointing as I was a huge fan.

I went to one of Tracey's testimonial dinners and I'm pretty sure he had a testimonial game but can't think who against at present.

Went to Dane's too.

Newcastle was the opposition for Morgs’ testimonial, finished 2-2 with Kieron Freeman scoring a screamer to equalise

I'd like to know re Wes leaving whether it's because he wanted more money, a longer deal or maybe he didn't want to be number two next season. Think I've read somewhere that he was offered a deal but for whatever reason he didn't want to sign. He's the only reason one on the list that I would have kept.

Bashan, Baldock and Norwood are all legends but time to move on in my view. Some might disagree re Baldock but I suspect that he's signed a deal there as opposed to us releasing him. He deserves to play in Europe and it just makes sense given international career there. But also he has become injury prone, not just this season but last two or so. Playing international football might be a reason gir that too and he's not going up stop that obviously and that's fair enough.

Norwood wages will be decent and whilst he may have signed a reduced wage deal we can put those wages to signing someone else, Alan Browne springs to mind.

Bash sadly might not play again, doesn't sound like he's about to be fully fit for a while from the last interview he did.

Egan and McBurnie would be included in this announcement if we thought they were leaving.

You would think we have some sort of agreement in place for each of them
Statements about retained lists usually get worded like;

"Sheffield United confirm x, y, and z will be released upon expiry of their contracts. Additionally, contract offers have been made to a, b and c."

Back
Top Bottom