Retained list 2023/24

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He may be a 6/10 calibre LB at Championship level but he's another one who's seemingly made of biscuits and cheesestrings. We need players capable of 30+ starts and Lowe isn't one of them.
I’d agree with you, but we’ve gone from Enda Stevens (injured) to RND (injured) to Lowe (injured) then Thomas (absolutely shit) and Larouci (no one knows if shit, good or somewhere in between). Now we have Osborn there looking out of place because Trusty was dire when he tried.

Any kind of recruitment of LWB/LB seems to be ill fated after Enda was amazing for a couple of seasons.

I’d agree with you, but we’ve gone from Enda Stevens (injured) to RND (injured) to Lowe (injured) then Thomas (absolutely shit) and Larouci (no one knows if shit, good or somewhere in between). Now we have Osborn there looking out of place because Trusty was dire when he tried.

Any kind of recruitment of LWB/LB seems to be ill fated after Enda was amazing for a couple of seasons.
That's exactly the point I've made to numerous people. Lowe, Osborn, Bogle, McBurnie - ideally we move on from, but I'm not sure I trust the same people who brought us Traore, Slimane, Luke Thomas and before that Goode, Clark and before that Ampadu, Burke, Brewster....

Frankly, the more I think about it, the more the I think we're about to drop off a cliff...

Recruitment - general principles for this summer.
Wilder has said "players who are fit , robust and who want to be here + play for the shirt".
Imo , whilst obviously we need a balance , we should start recruiting some younger players who are demonstrably on a upward curve , even if they are currently at a lower level.
They also need to see the Lane as somewhere they are honoured to play , so attitude & character is vital - unfortunately , Hamer apart , last summer's crop have either not been good enough to feature or have been battered in the PL.
When you look down the squad list , far too many of the old hands are fading heros or sadly , injury prone. The mentality of those who've been with us through 2 abject relegations from the PL must be negatively affected.
I think it's in their interests as well as ours for them to move on.
So , in short , i would be inclined to release most of the OOCs.
There needs to be very sound justification for any retained - not just "he's decent backup when he's not injured".
Somehow the manager needs to shift the doom & gloom out of the squad.

So, given the recent noises coming from Wilders interviews, do we think the Retained List is imminent?

Danny Hall recons 'this week':

'Ollie Norwood will be amongst the summer departures confirmed when Sheffield United publish their retained list this week, The Star understands.'

[EDIT] new article just published - http://tiny.cc/e8w2yz - looks like it'll be before the weekend.

'Sheffield United fans will be able to pay an emotional farewell to the players who are departing this summer, at Sunday’s final home game of the season at home to Tottenham Hotspur. The Blades plan to indicate who will be released this week, avoiding a repeat of last year’s situation when their retained list was confirmed after the season had concluded.'

'“There’s some we have talked to and some we have plans to talk to and we will do before next Sunday,” boss Wilder confirmed. “Come Wednesday or Thursday, I think we will be able to publicly talk about who is staying, who is going to be on the journey and who will depart - and we’ll say thank you very much for their efforts in terms of what they have achieved for the football club.”'

Last edited:
I applaud your efficiency on retrieving this thread 😉

Hopefully it does. We have nothing to play for and absolutely nothing is changing this week to next week in terms of the player’s ability to secure a contract.

Being able to show appreciation to the likes of Norwood would probably change the mood from flat, to one of appreciation for those that have played their part in an unexpected journey.

The cynic in me also suggests one or two might go down that weren’t going to bother to give some of them one final clap. So it might even get the gate up a bit!

I applaud your efficiency on retrieving this thread 😉

Hopefully it does. We have nothing to play for and absolutely nothing is changing this week to next week in terms of the player’s ability to secure a contract.

Being able to show appreciation to the likes of Norwood would probably change the mood from flat, to one of appreciation for those that have played their part in an unexpected journey.

The cynic in me also suggests one or two might go down that weren’t going to bother to give some of them one final clap. So it might even get the gate up a bit!

I thought I was being clever, looked through the threads on the first couple of pages in General and didn't see a RL thread so thought I'd get a scoop. Did the diligent thing and used the Search function. Beaten to the punch again 😖

So, given the recent noises coming from Wilders interviews, do we think the Retained List is imminent?

Danny Hall recons 'this week':

'Ollie Norwood will be amongst the summer departures confirmed when Sheffield United publish their retained list this week, The Star understands.'

[EDIT] new article just published - http://tiny.cc/e8w2yz - looks like it'll be before the weekend.

'Sheffield United fans will be able to pay an emotional farewell to the players who are departing this summer, at Sunday’s final home game of the season at home to Tottenham Hotspur. The Blades plan to indicate who will be released this week, avoiding a repeat of last year’s situation when their retained list was confirmed after the season had concluded.'

'“There’s some we have talked to and some we have plans to talk to and we will do before next Sunday,” boss Wilder confirmed. “Come Wednesday or Thursday, I think we will be able to publicly talk about who is staying, who is going to be on the journey and who will depart - and we’ll say thank you very much for their efforts in terms of what they have achieved for the football club.”'

If so, maybe the club is starting to learn from past mistakes. Good decision to get it announced and then we all know the situation before the last game and can give some of them the appreciation they deserve. It was handled badly last summer.

Mind you, I am expecting the retains list to be announced, with the caveat that 'the contract for Jebbison is nearly all sorted and should be done in the next 48 to 72 hours....'.

Most of the players out of contract we know thir fate now, but the ones we don't that really matter are McBurnie and Jebbo; I'm assuing that Egan will be given another years option, we now Bogle will be too but maybe a new deal; probably the former!

Would be a nice touch if we could get back some of the players who didn't get this opportunity last season for sunday as well. It might well be the sending off the old guard and a recognition of what they did for the club as well as a clear transfer of focus to the players that will be staying that we will get behind them if they work hard and play for the shirt and our club.

Would be a nice touch if we could get back some of the players who didn't get this opportunity last season for sunday as well. It might well be the sending off the old guard and a recognition of what they did for the club as well as a clear transfer of focus to the players that will be staying that we will get behind them if they work hard and play for the shirt and our club.
We never got a chance to give Michael Verrips the send of he deserved after his outstanding contribution to the club!

That's exactly the point I've made to numerous people. Lowe, Osborn, Bogle, McBurnie - ideally we move on from, but I'm not sure I trust the same people who brought us Traore, Slimane, Luke Thomas and before that Goode, Clark and before that Ampadu, Burke, Brewster....

Frankly, the more I think about it, the more the I think we're about to drop off a cliff...
Ampadu when we had him was too early. This season he has probably been one of Leeds best players would have him now for SUFC in a heartbeat. Good CB now looks PL ready.

Ampadu when we had him was too early. This season he has probably been one of Leeds best players would have him now for SUFC in a heartbeat. Good CB now looks PL ready.
In some ways that emphasises the point completely. There's a strong case that next time we make the PL, our loans have to be the grizzled PL experienced type pros like Brereton Diaz as opposed to the 'up & coming' McAtee, Ampadu, Archer type ... Just shame it's taken two disastrous seasons to learn this lesson...

In some ways that emphasises the point completely. There's a strong case that next time we make the PL, our loans have to be the grizzled PL experienced type pros like Brereton Diaz as opposed to the 'up & coming' McAtee, Ampadu, Archer type ... Just shame it's taken two disastrous seasons to learn this lesson...
100%, In Championship we can get away with using loans on youngsters who might end up playing a big part (doyle last year). I wonder what would have happened to Doyle this year if we had got him back on loan again. Hes done well for Wolves but would have been a different challenge with our squad.

We never got a chance to give Michael Verrips the send of he deserved after his outstanding contribution to the club!
it would be nice to give Hudson the defence coach a clap too after his outstanding work on making us about as impenetrable as a chocolate fire guard

Ones that looks uncertain then.. (by no rumours and links)
A.Davies
Basham
Egan
Coulibaly
McBurnie

Looking like new deals..
Bogle
RND
Osborn
Jebbison

Looking like leaving..
Wes
Amissah
Baldock
Lowe
Norwood

Would love to know what Wes did/said that has upset Wilder so much?

Seems a no brainer to bring him back just in case we can't find a replacement who's better. We know he can play GK for a promotion winning side...
He was brought in by Wilder as 2nd choice 4 years ago. I'd imagine Wilder sees that as a position he can upgrade in. We probably offered him something but said we'll also be looking to sign someone else and Wes rejected that as he wants to be 1st choice somewhere

Ones that looks uncertain then.. (by no rumours and links)
A.Davies
Basham
Egan
Coulibaly
McBurnie

Looking like new deals..
Bogle
RND
Osborn
Jebbison

Looking like leaving..
Wes
Amissah
Baldock
Lowe
Norwood
A. Davies - guess I'd be ok with him as backup but could find someone better

Bash - would be amazed if he signed. Seems like the focus atm is just on getting back to normal life even if he's not totally given up playing again

Egan - would like to see him next year but no idea how his recovery has gone

Coulibaly - ...

McBurnie - Would be tempted to keep even if he misses half the games in the championship as he's been good when fit and is our only proven goalscorer. But you have to price the injuries in so in reality he basically has to be worth double whatever wage we pay him, he also might want a new challenge.

Jebbison - No brainer, seems like we've tried all we can but it's still up in the air

Bogle's been one of the bright lights since CW came back. I'd like to be reassured that his deal is stronger than an extension. Be nice to know he/we're committed to the project and should other clubs come sniffing, we get something for him. Last thing we need is for our better players walking away for free at the end of their deals.

Apparently there is interest in Lowe so let him go.

Remember last summer when we all said that selling Lowe to Forest would be stupid etc.
Now we're applauding let him leave on a free.

Football doesn't stand still

All I can think if RND is getting his option taken up is that the medical staff must know something we don't as regards his recovery. I'll be amazed if he's a top end Championship player when he comes back, just due to the nature of the injuries and how close together they were.

All I can think if RND is getting his option taken up is that the medical staff must know something we don't as regards his recovery. I'll be amazed if he's a top end Championship player when he comes back, just due to the nature of the injuries and how close together they were.
That's their job after all. If he gets a new contract that's great news all round.

Back
Top Bottom