Regan Slater

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

“I told him about English football, about Sheffield, about the property of the club. I told him about the Sheffield United Football Academy. I said the academy could be moved out of Sheffield and the land could be used for housing and property. I was trying my best to convince him."

Apologies.

My bit still holds true though, with Princey suggesting there might be a quick bob or two to be made.

It could be moved or sold and closed, depending on whether you have a short or long term interest in the club.

We have no idea what the Prince's intentions are.

Hi Phil.

Maybe I just felt that over the last 10 years when my interest was at its height, that Travis and the other coaches pulled rabbits out of hats producing players that kept the Academy competing with more heavily funded clubs.

Always near the top of 18s/23s leagues and cups. Even winning some silver-wear.

Then when we get the the big time and a chance to invest in players from home and abroad Travis and that group get a “ see ya, don’t need ya” kind of kick in the balls.

Football is without doubt a shit business behind the scenes. I have witnessed that over the last 6 months personally.

We could go down the route of Brentford where they have a B Team and no academy.
They fund the B Team with what would have been academy money. Meaning they pay £50k,£100k etc for young players home and abroad.
They then play a full fixture list against the best clubs over Europe.

Sell the players on at a profit or put them in the first team.

Is seems to be very successful.
I hear you Brother. Everyone knows where Travis sits in my opinion. I'd have liked the refocusing I mention to have included him. My not in the know view would be to invest more in recruitment of "13 year olds". Capitalising on the oooohhhh look at us, we're Premier League, factor. AND to have a proper transfer/compo budget for 16/17 year olds. Travis sometimes gave off a "I'm trying to do this with one hand tied behind my back" frustration. Which I understood. I'd be supremely happy with a best of what we've always done, but beef some stuff up, strategy. I'm OK with us being Cat 2. Academies produce players. ALL of our players came through Academies, just not necessarily ours.

I’ll help everyone out a little here cos some clearly know very little about what they speak of....Slater had the option of going League 1 with 3 sides wanting to take him, 2 of those clubs were waiting for offers for existing players to meet there valuations before being able to bring him into the club. Waiting would have meant missing 2/3 weeks of the season failure for the moves to happen could have left it too late in the window and risk being stuck playing U23’s, with this in mind Slater asked for the Scunthorpe deal to be made so he could go out and play regular football hopefully coming back at 20 years old having made 80+ league appearances, have a look round at how many Young centre mids under the age of 23 are playing regular football in the premiership or championship, my quess is next season whatever league we are in he’ll be a first team member.....make of this what you will but it’s on good authority

He kept his place but I used to frequently search his name on twitter.

Manager liked him (or maybe it was an agreement). Fans didn’t.
‘What’s Slater got on Pressley?’ Was one of the highlights.
Ever heard the saying good players in an average team with average players then look like average players, good players playing with good players look like good players. Maybe that explains Carlisle fans who btw thought McCarron was the best thing since sliced bread take it from me he’s far from as Leeds will find out

I’ll help everyone out a little here cos some clearly know very little about what they speak of....Slater had the option of going League 1 with 3 sides wanting to take him, 2 of those clubs were waiting for offers for existing players to meet there valuations before being able to bring him into the club. Waiting would have meant missing 2/3 weeks of the season failure for the moves to happen could have left it too late in the window and risk being stuck playing U23’s, with this in mind Slater asked for the Scunthorpe deal to be made so he could go out and play regular football hopefully coming back at 20 years old having made 80+ league appearances, have a look round at how many Young centre mids under the age of 23 are playing regular football in the premiership or championship, my quess is next season whatever league we are in he’ll be a first team member.....make of this what you will but it’s on good authority
At last... a post from someone who knows the ins and outs of what it is like trying to place players on loan.
The Scunthorpe deal has the full backing of the club and more importantly the player himself.

Far too easy to knock a young player when they go out on loan to what some may say is a league below where they should be.

It is all about getting first team games under their belts.

Excellent post.

Top post this. Giving a little

At last... a post from someone who knows the ins and outs of what it is like trying to place players on loan.
The Scunthorpe deal has the full backing of the club and more importantly the player himself.

Far too easy to knock a young player when they go out on loan to what some may say is a league below where they should be.

It is all about getting first team games under their belts.

Excellent post.

Top post this. Giving a little
Those that know know

Here we go we’ve got the 2 experts in player development here.

Get a room lads. Ew.

As a matter of interest, did RS choose Scunthorpe over the 3rd League 1 club due to concerns over playing time?

Without wishing to sound like I’m doubting the veracity of your source, but I’d be very, very surprised/worried if RS is a first team member for us next season if we remain in the prem.

Here we go we’ve got the 2 experts in player development here.

Get a room lads. Ew.

Nice to have a couple who know what they are talking about rather than conjecture. The rest of us have opinions but a lot of this is based on supposition rather than hard facts.

Ihadadream , don't be a stranger and see if you can chip in with a few more useful posts like the above.

I think Slater looked decent in pre season. Not looking out of place in our team is quite good for a 19 year old. Playing for a fairly local side that is expected to do well seems ideal.

As a matter of interest, did RS choose Scunthorpe over the 3rd League 1 club due to concerns over playing time?

Without wishing to sound like I’m doubting the veracity of your source, but I’d be very, very surprised/worried if RS is a first team member for us next season if we remain in the prem.
No mate nothing to do with playing time, very few sides will take a loan player if there is an insistence on playing time, look more along the lines of the gap between top end of league 2 and league 1 is very small if anything. Take out the likes of Sunderland/Portsmouth Ipswich and everyone is pretty much on a level playing field. Then factor in you can be 40 minutes from home instead of 2.5 hours you know people at the club and really it’s a no brainer. Scunthorpe could be a great move could be a bad move I think it’s probably safe to say if a league 1 club comes in around January there will be a clause that gives the option of moving.

He needs game time. Scunthorpe seem like a decent club who will give him that.

What a goal this is by the boy

Now that's a goal. Hope he does really well at Scunny. Would love to see him push on and get a chance to stake a claim in our side next season. We all like seeing academy lads get in the first XI.

As a kid I used to go down to the old training ground off Abbeydale road and fetch balls from over the fence, but since the move to shirecliffe I’ve only been down once or twice. I was quite impressed with the building I went in (guessing it was the newer part) but all the first team players were in there.

In fact, believe this or not, but Lee Carsley came over to me at the side of the training pitch (he was assistant to Weir at the time) and invited me to come in for breakfast with the team. Obviously I wanted a nosey so went inside. He took me into Weirs office, brought me a cuppa and both of them had a chat with me, sounding me out from a supporter point of view I guess. After that they took me in to the canteen and got me some brekkie and sat with the players (politely just had some scrambled eggs). Then sat through the players meeting etc. Interesting. Obviously whatever I said didn’t have too much positive impact on things as he was sacked soon after 😂 .

Anyway, as I say the building I was in seemed all newish, but obviously when you look st the academies/training facilities of premier league clubs we are way behind a lot of them.

Now that's a goal. Hope he does really well at Scunny. Would love to see him push on and get a chance to stake a claim in our side next season. We all like seeing academy lads get in the first XI.

Don't wanna knock him, but I think he actually failed in his initial piece of skill.

Rather that that a shit comment like the one you made.

It is about playing as many games on loan as possible. Would you prefer he went to a League one side and play 15 games?
Or go on loan and play 40 to 50 games.

Do think at 19 he should be ready now?

Make no mistake. This is a CW decision so why don’t you trust him to develop Slater in the way he sees fit.
This aged well.

Unfortunately the lad isn't good enough even at League 2 level, as the last season and half have shown.
I'd rather he jumped up a level and barely played somewhere else instead, at least he'd be training consistency at a slightly higher level then.

The only prospect we have currently out on loan with a future at this club is RND, no one else comes close.

There's optimistic then there's plain mental. The lad can't get a start for League 2 Scunthorpe.

How many young players that didn't make it with top clubs have we had in the past that went on to prove them wrong ?

This aged well.

Unfortunately the lad isn't good enough even at League 2 level, as the last season and half have shown.
I'd rather he jumped up a level and barely played somewhere else instead, at least he'd be training consistency at a slightly higher level then.

The only prospect we have currently out on loan with a future at this club is RND, no one else comes close.

I will say it again, it is best to go on loan and play as many games as possible.

if Going on loan shows they are or are not good enough then the process has worked.

Back
Top Bottom