Regan Slater

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Rather that that a shit comment like the one you made.

It is about playing as many games on loan as possible. Would you prefer he went to a League one side and play 15 games?
Or go on loan and play 40 to 50 games.

Do think at 19 he should be ready now?

Make no mistake. This is a CW decision so why don’t you trust him to develop Slater in the way he sees fit.
It’s a shit move.

The ‘he just needs games’ comment is bollocks. He needs to be moving up the levels to keep up with us. Wilder might’ve wanted him loaned out but I’m pretty sure he’d have preferred him in L1 (like RND who is a much bigger prospect)

Carlisle fans didn’t rate him last year it’s safe to say. So colour me surprised that not many people are that excited about his future. He’s got a lot of improving to do but it’s by no means impossible.

Look at Dowell and Henderson. Both loaned out again by their parent clubs, will gain another years experience and at 21/22/23 will have had 2 or 3 seasons of good experience before they try and play at the top level.

Thankfully Wilder rates him more than you.

League 1 or League two means fuck all. It’s about learning and playing games every week. I agree, he has improving to do, hence loaning him to a club where he will play.

That’s why saying it is a shit move IMO is harsh.

What I love though pal is that you have a proper opinion on the young players.

It’s a shit move.

The ‘he just needs games’ comment is bollocks. He needs to be moving up the levels to keep up with us. Wilder might’ve wanted him loaned out but I’m pretty sure he’d have preferred him in L1 (like RND who is a much bigger prospect)

Carlisle fans didn’t rate him last year it’s safe to say. So colour me surprised that not many people are that excited about his future. He’s got a lot of improving to do but it’s by no means impossible.
I thought he’d done quite well at Carlisle? He started off on the bench but fought his way into the team and kept his place.

I thought he’d done quite well at Carlisle? He started off on the bench but fought his way into the team and kept his place.
He kept his place but I used to frequently search his name on twitter.

Manager liked him (or maybe it was an agreement). Fans didn’t.
‘What’s Slater got on Pressley?’ Was one of the highlights.

IMHO, there are three "positions" for someone at Regan's level of development

1. Not good enough, get rid
2. Might be good enough, let him stagnate in U23
3. Might be good enough, let's see how he copes in the EFL

Three for me. I understand why posters scrutinise. "He's still at the same level" etc. But I'm with Redhead. It don't matter too much. Games......
Wilder & Lester & Scunthorpe must all think this is best....

Thankfully Wilder rates him more than you.

League 1 or League two means fuck all. It’s about learning and playing games every week. I agree, he has improving to do, hence loaning him to a club where he will play.

That’s why saying it is a shit move IMO is harsh.

What I love though pal is that you have a proper opinion on the young players.
100% he still only a kid good few games under his belt do him a world of good same with Eastwood

IMHO, there are three "positions" for someone at Regan's level of development

1. Not good enough, get rid
2. Might be good enough, let him stagnate in U23
3. Might be good enough, let's see how he copes in the EFL

Three for me. I understand why posters scrutinise. "He's still at the same level" etc. But I'm with Redhead. It don't matter too much. Games......
Wilder & Lester & Scunthorpe must all think this is best....
If it’s a choice between u23s and L2, it’s L2 for me every time. Once a player is good at u23s they won’t learn much more, they need to learn how to translate that ability into the men’s game.

We just want to see home grown players in the first team and when you see them going on loan to L2 clubs it seems like it’s going to be a long time before we see it.

League 2 at the right club is better than League 1 at the wrong club. I expect our staff have done their homework on Scunny and deemed them the best option.

I didn’t know Regan had gone to Scunthorpe, I think it’s a good move for him, playing regularly in a side that should be pushing for promotion, I have high hopes for RS at United, staying at United and playing in the u23s is not an option IMO

And the Academy, don’t think the u23s works, bring back the Central League

No why should we be?.

Aside from the Princes ' alleged ' lack of interest in the Academy as a going concern should he be successful in taking over ownership of the Club . There also appears to be no money being spent on it at the moment either.

I read an interview with Wilder quite recently where he likened the facilities at Shirecliffe to those of a Workingmens Club and this was sometime after Wilder went public with his call for money to be spent up there .

Aside from the Princes ' alleged ' lack of interest in the Academy as a going concern should he be successful in taking over ownership of the Club . There also appears to be no money being spent on it at the moment either.

I read an interview with Wilder quite recently where he likened the facilities at Shirecliffe to those of a Workingmens Club and this was sometime after Wilder went public with his call for money to be spent up there .

Would seriously consider selling up Shirecliffe and buying up a bigger training area / Academy out in the sticks somewhere.

Far be it for me to criticize CW but in all fairness the “Workingmens Club” At Shirecliffe didn’t do too badly prior to his arrival.

Maybe he was talking about the first team building at Shirecliffe rather than the academy building.

He didn’t, he made the correct observation that it had been converted from one.

Didn’t he also say in the same interview that they are lower Championship at best? There was talk at the start of the summer that Wilder wanted new training facilities – I wonder whether he was given the option of that or a full transfer budget. I suspect that like the Kop/SS development it’s possibly been parked till we stay up...

Didn’t he also say in the same interview that they are lower Championship at best? There was talk at the start of the summer that Wilder wanted new training facilities – I wonder whether he was given the option of that or a full transfer budget. I suspect that like the Kop/SS development it’s possibly been parked till we stay up...

I think you've hit the nail on the head there mate and I appear to be guilty of impatience . I see the opportunities produced by being the only PL club in Yorkshire, NE Derbyshire and Notts in terms of potential Academy recruitment without taking the time to seriously consider just how quickly this has all happened .

In so many respects our infrastructure is still League 1/ lower championship level . Whilst this could of course lead to an accusation of a lack of ambition, the simple truth is we've progressed at first team level in a way thats caught all of us out .

I tend to agree with Rodley that we should be looking to sell up at Shirecliffe and develop much better first team and Academy facilities out of town , but just like the need to develop our ground we should be concentrating on investment to keep us in the Premier League before we splash serious cash elsewhere .

Furthermore, I witnessed with some dismay the way Callum Semple etc were sold/ released a year or so ago but the simple fact of the matter was they were not up to the standard we needed anymore .

I'm still concerned about the direction the Club could take if the Prince gains overall control but I guess we will all have to sit tight and see how this plays out .

I suspect if anything it’s being delayed until the outcome of the court case. That’s going to determine whether McCabe gets the ground and Shirecliffe and the Prince gets the club or if one ends up owning both.

I tend to agree with Rodley that we should be looking to sell up at Shirecliffe and develop much better first team and Academy facilities out of town ,

Wasn’t that what the Prince suggested that everyone went a bit crazy about when touting for investment? Selling the first team/academy facilities and building new ones elsewhere?

Concerned or interested ?.
Redhead I'm interested (attend games, watch players, form attachments, use as an excuse to visit breweries) & concerned. Generally, as a Club, we've come a long way, quickly. Understandably, I feel the Academy has struggled to keep up in terms of recruitment, development & pathways. I have NO answers, but I feel a refocussing is necessary. Maybe the arrival of Lester will herald that.

Wasn’t that what the Prince suggested that everyone went a bit crazy about when touting for investment? Selling the first team/academy facilities and building new ones elsewhere?

I was under the impression that the Princes interest started and stopped with the First team and Ground and that was it . Didn't McCabe go to great lengths to dismiss this approach whilst extolling the virtues of the DNA and ethos of the club, including the Academy, in response ?

I was under the impression that the Princes interest started and stopped with the First team and Ground and that was it . Didn't McCabe go to great lengths to dismiss this approach whilst extolling the virtues of the DNA and ethos of the club, including the Academy, in response ?

Just checked, it was about moving the Academy out of the city to cheaper land and selling the existing land it’s on for housing, at least that’s what was reported from court.

Redhead I'm interested (attend games, watch players, form attachments, use as an excuse to visit breweries) & concerned. Generally, as a Club, we've come a long way, quickly. Understandably, I feel the Academy has struggled to keep up in terms of recruitment, development & pathways. I have NO answers, but I feel a refocussing is necessary. Maybe the arrival of Lester will herald that.
Hi Phil.

Maybe I just felt that over the last 10 years when my interest was at its height, that Travis and the other coaches pulled rabbits out of hats producing players that kept the Academy competing with more heavily funded clubs.

Always near the top of 18s/23s leagues and cups. Even winning some silver-wear.

Then when we get the the big time and a chance to invest in players from home and abroad Travis and that group get a “ see ya, don’t need ya” kind of kick in the balls.

Football is without doubt a shit business behind the scenes. I have witnessed that over the last 6 months personally.

We could go down the route of Brentford where they have a B Team and no academy.
They fund the B Team with what would have been academy money. Meaning they pay £50k,£100k etc for young players home and abroad.
They then play a full fixture list against the best clubs over Europe.

Sell the players on at a profit or put them in the first team.

Is seems to be very successful.

Just checked, it was about moving the Academy out of the city to cheaper land and selling the existing land it’s on for housing, at least that’s what was reported from court.

I recall the selling bit, but don't recall anything about moving.

McCabe's barrister suggested the Prince had been trying to persuade a fellow Saudi to invest in the club, as there were opportunities to sell/develop Shirecliffe.

Long threads have been on here about which bit iof Worksop a new academy could in, but that just conjecture and nothing to do with what was said in court.

I recall the selling bit, but don't recall anything about moving.

“I told him about English football, about Sheffield, about the property of the club. I told him about the Sheffield United Football Academy. I said the academy could be moved out of Sheffield and the land could be used for housing and property. I was trying my best to convince him."

Back
Top Bottom