Realistic targets for next season.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Have we really got 10_15 m to spend on one player?
I would hope so, regardless of the takeover. We cant do what Norwich did. Whoever is buying us will want us to have a squad with a chance of surviving.

I would hope so, regardless of the takeover. We cant do what Norwich did. Whoever is buying us will want us to have a squad with a chance of surviving.
I have my doubts whether we would spend that amount on a player but i'm quite prepared to be proved wrong.😁

Ryan Giles (Wolves) - Been on loan at Boro and for me was the best LB/LWB in the league this year. At the age now where you think he would like to settle at a club and cant see him going straight into Wolves first 11.

Lewis O'Brien - (Scabs) - Thought he was the best opposition CM when he came to the Lane with Huddersfield season before last. Think he would be a great replacement for Fleck if we can get a decent deal done. Wouldn't set our season alight but would be better than we have now. Wouldn't want to pay the 10M Forest paid.

Tommy Doyle - (Man City) - Don't really need to explain this, 10-15M get it done.

James McAtee - (Man City - Loan) - Not sure how we will set up next year but someone like McAtee is a great option when you need a goal.

Viktor Gyokeres - (Coventry) - I think he will probably want and get a bigger move but I'd happily spend 20m on this lad if its available.

Cameron Archer - (Villa - Loan) - He's been brilliant for Boro and think he is more to do with their good 2nd half of the season than Carrick.
gyorkeres and archer would be my choice of the 2 strikers we need but realistically cant see either of em ending up at the lane but those 2 with the quality theyve got are the type of strikers we need to have any chance of staying in the premier league

Surely anyone can see that and replicate it though? That team are doing well so maybe we should look at players who play for them? Don't understand what the gambling model is exactly. If its about statistics I'm sure you could find endless people with stats that tell you players that would fit out style of play?

Maybe I'm just naive and don't understand enough about gambling but don't see why having a gambling model means you have a major upper hand on other clubs.
Didn’t the gambling model produce the Money to fund Brighton and redevelop the software into player selection ?

eloquently put, and so insightful
like the love child of Martin Keown and Simon Jordan

that said i do agree with some of your analysis

50/50 on Wes, Enda Sharp & Fleck have gone and rightly so.
Bash is useful for the bench to maybe make the last 10 mins when we need a cool head
Egan is fine, but needs Anel and AN Other better defender to support
Lowe is shit, your right
Bogle looked good before injury, 50/50
McB is ok off the bench
Brewster could be good enough if he can stay fit past the warm up

I could go with, and its making a presumption that x2 City lads come back - Doyle sale, Mcatee loan

Wes
Baldock - Anel - Egan - new - RND
Doyle
McAtee - Berge
Ndaiye - new

Bench - Mcb, Jebbinson, Robbo, Bogle, new GK, Norwood, Brewster, Bash

We need more bodies, but rather than buy loads of squad players, I would prefer that we use our existing lads for the bench, and spend the budget on 2 or 3 quality signings from - Chair, Longstaff, Archer, and a few from the relegated/missed promotion teams
I suspect this is what Hecky is probably thinking, with keeping much of the current squad, meaning he can focus the funds on a few quality signings to add to the first 11. A bit like using last year's budget on Anel, rather than a few more squad signings.

I suspect this is what Hecky is probably thinking, with keeping much of the current squad, meaning he can focus the funds on a few quality signings to add to the first 11. A bit like using last year's budget on Anel, rather than a few more squad signings.
Agree with you and Steve, defensively that team looks fairly solid. If we can add 2 or 3 quality, guaranteed first team players, particularly at LCB and CF, we will be in better shape than our last visit to the Premier.

The likes of Archer and Chair would bring more pace to the side and supplement Berge, McAtee and Ndiaye. However I'm not 100% sure Wes is good enough for the Premier League but it's not our biggest position of need with tight funds

I don't know exactly what Bloom, or the guys at Brentford, do, and yeah, if it was that simple everyone would be doing it. But it's not a cakewalk, it's nowhere near as simple as just looking at who's scored the most goals in the French second division and buying them, football's probably the most complicated sport to model. Heck, I analyse probably the easiest sport in the world to model, but I'm still able to put a bet on someone to be world champion at 150/1 this time last year and cash it out at 12/1 when it turns out he is actually a good player

If you mean paying transfers in instalments, the vast majority of transfers will be done that way these days, so you're not getting out of that.
JT you can easily get out of it, you only spend what you have available to pay immediately. The staggered payments are just a form of debt as is the borrowing against future Premier League payments.

Clearly it means you can't spend as much now but it also means you don't owe as much in the future. This is particularly important if you get relegated and the reason we were placed on a transfer embargo.

We mustn't do a Southampton, signed a load of players from foreign clubs, all without any PL experience and ended up relegated.
The MoTD graphic was quite revealing.

Brentford signed Toney just after his 24th birthday, while they were in the Championship.

JCH isn't terrible, but he might struggle to even get a kick in the Premier League.

I don't mean to be annoying, I just strongly disagree with this particular suggestion. 👍
Such a shame we had our chance to nab Toney from Posh for under £10m but passed up the opportunity

We mustn't do a Southampton, signed a load of players from foreign clubs, all without any PL experience and ended up relegated.
The MoTD graphic was quite revealing.

Not necessarily true.

If we're preparing for the most likely scenario of championship football the following season then signing young overseas prospects who are too good for championship but not necessarily at PL level yet isn't the worst way to go.

Signing uk based players on a premium (especially those with PL experience) is a one way street to putting us straight back into the same financial mess we are trying to get out of.

PH very recently quoted as predicting that his PL recruitment plans will be looking at a players ‘character’ first and foremost.
Looking at Billy’s face and listening to what he said, is the clue that number of players have been given the likely outcome of next seasons retained list.

Hecky probably knows that his budget is probably a very small one, and is juggling his targets accordingly.

If we as fans are looking at outright buys for players such as Doyle, and loan of McAtee again, it’s worth remembering that the players, and their current club will have an input on those decisions.

Given their attitude to SUFC is positive, we cannot discount the fact that Pep is so impressed by their development, he will want to keep them, and they both want to stay at city. It could be there will be other clubs bidding for their services too!

Plenty of suggestions, some well researched others, less so. On the face of it, PH will be looking for JLT levels of character, and a similar skill set? What odds on finding another Anel or Ndiaye?

Personally, I don’t think next season is a lost cause, whatever happens.

We just have to sign players under 23 that will have resale value. Part of the problem we’re in the financial mess is that we have not made any profit on any players in the last… how long?

If you want to become sustainable you have to buy players that will improve not lose their value. There is also great value abroad but I just don’t see us doing that as a club. We never have recruited from abroad (ironically the few we have done have generally been successful) so I suspect our targets will be Scotland and lower leagues as previously mentioned here.

Who knows what realistic is.....

It is though realistic to say that how we recruit in midfield will define our team and our season

Some of my suggestions for the different midfield positions would be these, based on half paying attention to most of the top leagues as well as domestic stuff.....

CM:
Tommy Doyle - Loan or 10-15m (wouldn’t go 15)
Florian Grillitsch - Free
Ellyes Skhiri - Free (suspect no chance)
Wataru Endo - 3m - if Stuttgart relegated
Gustavo Hamer - 5m
Sam Field - 5m
Hamza Choudhury - 5m
(Last 3 there all appear to have 1 year left on contract)

RCM:
Mady Camara - 6m
Marshall Munetsi - 7.5m
Will Smallbone - 5m
Jean-Ricner Bellegarde - 9m
Stuart Armstrong - 2.5m
Nahitan Nandez - 6m

LCM:
Lewis O'Brien - 7m
Will Hughes - 7m
Jean-Victor Makengo - 9m
Alfred Duncan - 2.5m
Matt Grimes - 4m
James McAtee - Loan - if you want to include him as a LCM

We also need a good LWB, without question

If we really insist on staying up then a starting keeper and a CF as well

Much work to do

Should definitely look abroad but only for about half the signings

Should also be willing to be more flexible on wages than last time, typically for loanees. If we are then surprising options may open up

We just have to sign players under 23 that will have resale value. Part of the problem we’re in the financial mess is that we have not made any profit on any players in the last… how long?

If you want to become sustainable you have to buy players that will improve not lose their value. There is also great value abroad but I just don’t see us doing that as a club. We never have recruited from abroad (ironically the few we have done have generally been successful) so I suspect our targets will be Scotland and lower leagues as previously mentioned here.
Ramsdale?

Made a bit off Ramsdale (twice) I suppose - take your point though, many of our high value assets just haven’t retained their value (couldn’t sell McBurnie, Berge and Brewster and make back our 65m could we, let alone turn a profit). However these were promising young players we could have realistically hoped to make money on (like we did with Ramsdale). What are you proposing we do differently other than make better choices on the individuals we sign?

The other thing is you have to sell to realise profit… we could probably flog Ahmedhodzic for a tidy profit this Sunmer, but I bloody well hope we don’t.

Ryan Manning at Swansea (Permanent) and Cameron Archer from Villa (On Loan)

Aside from that I think Doyle and McAtee are likely not beyond our means but one would have to be on a permanent deal. Think both have become integral to us and I would rather have them back than look for replacements. Think they’re both ready to step up.

Then I think we probably need another two or three depending on how many we don’t retain. A left sided CB needs to be one of them.

Clarke-Harris at Peterborough - especially if they don't go up.
It may cost a bit to sign him as he's top scorer in L1 I believe, but he'll be on reasonable wages.
This is the type of signing that Brentford would make (like Toney a couple of years ago).
I think the likes of Archer and Akpom are beyond us financially.
If we are looking at any players from the Peterborough v Sheffield Wednesday game on Friday then we will definitely be getting relegated. We would be better looking at Wigan, Blackpool and Reading players.

Made a bit off Ramsdale (twice) I suppose - take your point though, many of our high value assets just haven’t retained their value (couldn’t sell McBurnie, Berge and Brewster and make back our 65m could we, let alone turn a profit). However these were promising young players we could have realistically hoped to make money on (like we did with Ramsdale). What are you proposing we do differently other than make better choices on the individuals we sign?

The other thing is you have to sell to realise profit… we could probably flog Ahmedhodzic for a tidy profit this Sunmer, but I bloody well hope we don’t.
My point is in terms of value signings it almost has to come from abroad, but it’s just not something we do.

On a separate note, I’m absolutely convinced we’re going to sign Ilias Chair and I don’t know why. I called this signing 3 seasons ago, seems such a bladed signing!

12648-im-free-badge.jpg

We just need to find a 20 goal striker.

Habib Diallo from Strasbourg. 27 yr old CF, international team mate of Ndiaye. He's scored 52 goals in Ligue 1 in 127 games for Metz and Strasbourg, which is a great return for 2 smaller/lower mid table clubs.

He's 6ft 1 (although looks taller in the video), strong and mobile, technically strong, with a good work ethic and likes a bit of rough & tumble.

He currently plays as a lone CF in a 3-4-2-1 formation, but can play as one of a front 2 in a 5-3-2.

Strasbourg are looking to cash in on him, and have instructed an Agent to find an English club to buy his this summer. Circa £15m is believed to be the asking price.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom