Realistic targets for next season.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I'm not sure freshly relegated still sides and unsuccessful playoff teams are quite the bargain buckets they used to be.

Relegated teams increasingly want to bounce back immediately while the parachute money is there and so unless a financial basket case, want to hang on to their best players. They may sell players that don't want to be in the champ but said players aren't likely to want to join another club favourites to be in a relegation scrap, unless there aren't many offers besides which raises the question of how good they even are.

Playoff losers think they can go again next season (like we did) and stick big price tags on their best players to keep the squad together

We're probably better looking at cherry picking from the rest of the champ but then that's what the playoff losers will be doing too.

I think United will have numerous signings who go under the name of....

Loa Nsig Nings. They can multi task in various positions rather than be specific to just one area.

I would hope that our scouts have been patrolling French Ligue 1, + Belgium and Holland.

You'd we NEED pace and lots of it.

a LCB version of Anel is a must. Robinson a decent understudy
a CB to challenge Egan
an athletic box-to-box type midfielder - Doucoure, Ndidi, Kante style that run for hours
a PL standard GK. Wes as undertsudy
a pacy striker - Archer, Joao Pedro, Dennis etc.
a target man - Calvert-Lewin, Goyokeres
Get Doyle back permanent.
McAtee back as a loan if they won't sell
if we're being greedy, a playmaker to help Ndiaye with the burden - a Gibbs-White type

I think United will have numerous signings who go under the name of....

Loa Nsig Nings. They can multi task in various positions rather than be specific to just one area.
Fulham had 7x loan signings in their relegation season. Can only have 2x PL ones though

Liel Abada is possibly looking to leave Celtic.
£10m.

Morelos and Kent and numerous others not in Mole's plans at Sevco. Do Not Touch either... hated as much as they hate the Champions again.

Shankland at Hearts.
Nisbet at Hibernian.
Duk at Aberdeen.
Van Veen at Motherwell, but like Pukki, too old.

I would hope that our scouts have been patrolling French Ligue 1, + Belgium and Holland.

You'd we NEED pace and lots of it.

a LCB version of Anel is a must. Robinson a decent understudy
a CB to challenge Egan
an athletic box-to-box type midfielder - Doucoure, Ndidi, Kante style that run for hours
a PL standard GK. Wes as undertsudy
a pacy striker - Archer, Joao Pedro, Dennis etc.
a target man - Calvert-Lewin, Goyokeres
Get Doyle back permanent.
McAtee back as a loan if they won't sell
if we're being greedy, a playmaker to help Ndiaye with the burden - a Gibbs-White type
Spot on. A few other suggestions below, which might not break the bank.

Would like to see us try and tempt Johansson from Rotherham for GK.

Cashin from Derby at LCB. Probably easier to do now they’ve got another season in league one.

Centre back - Gilchrist might fit this bill, either directly or allowing Anel to move centrally.

Like you say, hopefully we’ve been scouting in Europe for some unknown gems.

3 Permanent signings that significantly improve the first XI
One academy graduate becoming a regular appearance maker
No 'millstone' signings a la Brewster
12+ points
Being in a good position to rebuild in 24/25 in the Championship

Not desireable, but certainly realistic goals
Are they all free transfers?

Clarke-Harris at Peterborough - especially if they don't go up.
It may cost a bit to sign him as he's top scorer in L1 I believe, but he'll be on reasonable wages.
This is the type of signing that Brentford would make (like Toney a couple of years ago).
I think the likes of Archer and Akpom are beyond us financially.

It may cost a bit to sign him as he's top scorer in L1 I believe, but he'll be on reasonable wages.
This is the type of signing that Brentford would make (like Toney a couple of years ago).
This! If we don't extensively scout Europe there are young, hungry, British gems that can be nurtured. Any sign of success and you can build a goldmine or secure safety.

Even if you pay £3/4M, if he scores 8/9/10 he'll be worth £15M.

Has Gyokeres had a mention? Looks a quality player. Plus, he would be ideal for our fans as a boo boy at the end of the season to rival McBurnie (scored a hatful in Championship but somehow finds it tougher in Premier League). Nice to share the targeted hate around the squad.

Clarke-Harris is too old at 29 to be a Toney-type signing. The lad can finish but his work rate is very questionable. Not the right signing for us for where we are now.

Clarke-Harris is too old at 29 to be a Toney-type signing. The lad can finish but his work rate is very questionable. Not the right signing for us for where we are now.
I'd still take him. He's a younger, bigger, faster Billy on half the wages.
Plus at 29 he's got the experience, but will know it's his last chance to make it at the top level - something to prove.

Until Hecky finds out how much dough he's got to spend,yes it does matter,we can all make lists who we could buy but in the final analysis,it's how much the budget is.
I didn't name any players or mention a budget though

I agree. Whilst he did ok with Peterborough in the Championship (12 goals), he hardly set it alight.

Peterborough always demand big fees too, relatively speaking. I think we could get better elsewhere.

And by "cash in on Ndiaye", you mean "sell way below market value because contract and leave a bigger hole up front than what we receive in transfer fees will fill", right?

I'm hoping not, im thinking that if we signal his availability it might start a bidding war. Strange as it may seem it could be he goes somewhere like villa for a decent amount+ archer

Except Clarke-Harris is 28. He's not up to the Prem. He didn't even make waves in the Championship tbh.

He's decent, but he's not what we need this summer.

This! If we don't extensively scout Europe there are young, hungry, British gems that can be nurtured. Any sign of success and you can build a goldmine or secure safety.

Even if you pay £3/4M, if he scores 8/9/10 he'll be worth £15M.
If he was 21 maybe. He's approaching 30. 👍 If we pay a few million for him we've lost the plot.

I'm hoping not, im thinking that if we signal his availability it might start a bidding war. Strange as it may seem it could be he goes somewhere like villa for a decent amount+ archer

Let's do some maths here:

• Market currently has us at effectively 50/50 to stay up next season, based on the scientific approach of looking at one bookmaker's prices. Granted, those odds will bake in some risk that we sell Ndiaye, but I'm going to work on the assumption that they're pricing based on us not selling
  • If we sell Ndiaye, our attacking threat plummets drastically, and ergo our chances of survival
  • Staying up would net an additional £100 million minimum

I'll ask you the questions:

a) How much do you think our chances of staying up, in percentage terms, would be hit by selling Ndiaye?
b) How much do you think we would get in millions if we sold Ndiaye?
c) If a is greater than b, how stupid is the club to sell?

Back
Top Bottom