Realistic targets for next season.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

After Folarin Baloguns season in France, if he's isn't in Arsenal's plans could be one to try for
May have been bollocks we were ever in for him but shame we couldn't have got him for a fraction of what we paid for Brewster.

Not disputing what you are saying but what gambling program helps identify good footballers for cheap?

Bloom is not so stupid to not be able to get from "hmm, my data model is telling me to bet on Zulte Waregem all the time" to "maybe Zulte Waregem have some players which are undervalued, let's buy them". Or that his data model in the first place recognises attributes x, y and z in players have a high correlation with success on the pitch, and is then able to instruct his scouts to find players which can do those things

Bloom is not so stupid to not be able to get from "hmm, my data model is telling me to bet on Zulte Waregem all the time" to "maybe Zulte Waregem have some players which are undervalued, let's buy them". Or that his data model in the first place recognises attributes x, y and z in players have a high correlation with success on the pitch, and is then able to instruct his scouts to find players which can do those things
Surely anyone can see that and replicate it though? That team are doing well so maybe we should look at players who play for them? Don't understand what the gambling model is exactly. If its about statistics I'm sure you could find endless people with stats that tell you players that would fit out style of play?

Maybe I'm just naive and don't understand enough about gambling but don't see why having a gambling model means you have a major upper hand on other clubs.

In particular it seems that the main issue if you go down are the staggered transfer payments you still need to respect.

For that reason I'd prefer we avoid these signings.

There are quite a few out of contract players in Europe and I also think we need to accept that Doyle and McAtee may be priced out of a return. City may well decide to keep for another year at least and then they become loans at best. They may prefer teams that are likely to see more of the ball as well.

Looking to Europe, here are the out of contract players across major leagues that would seem realistic to at least invite the conversation:

Ligue Un:
Branco Van Den Boomen, Stijn Spierings (both Toulouse), Haris Belkebla (Brest)

Bundesliga:
Ellyes Skhiri (Köln), Mahmoud Dahoud (Dortmund)

La Liga:
Aleix Garcia (Girona), Santi Comesaña (Rayo Vallecano), Alvaro Aguardo (Real Valladolid), Oier Zarraga (Athletic), Gerard Gumbau (Elche)

Serie A:
Oliver Abildgaard (Helois Verona)

Eresdivisie:
Florian Grillitsch (Ajax)

That's just the midfield.

Any hot takes on these?

Surely anyone can see that and replicate it though?

I don't know exactly what Bloom, or the guys at Brentford, do, and yeah, if it was that simple everyone would be doing it. But it's not a cakewalk, it's nowhere near as simple as just looking at who's scored the most goals in the French second division and buying them, football's probably the most complicated sport to model. Heck, I analyse probably the easiest sport in the world to model, but I'm still able to put a bet on someone to be world champion at 150/1 this time last year and cash it out at 12/1 when it turns out he is actually a good player

In particular it seems that the main issue if you go down are the staggered transfer payments you still need to respect.

If you mean paying transfers in instalments, the vast majority of transfers will be done that way these days, so you're not getting out of that.

Liel Abada is possibly looking to leave Celtic.
£10m.

Morelos and Kent and numerous others not in Mole's plans at Sevco. Do Not Touch either... hated as much as they hate the Champions again.

Shankland at Hearts.
Nisbet at Hibernian.
Duk at Aberdeen.
Van Veen at Motherwell, but like Pukki, too old.
Please no more signings from Scotland.

We need to explore the foreign market cuipers at gent looks decent, their highest paid player is on £25,000 so he would definitely be within budget , tall, right age and scored a few

I don't know exactly what Bloom, or the guys at Brentford, do, and yeah, if it was that simple everyone would be doing it. But it's not a cakewalk, it's nowhere near as simple as just looking at who's scored the most goals in the French second division and buying them, football's probably the most complicated sport to model. Heck, I analyse probably the easiest sport in the world to model, but I'm still able to put a bet on someone to be world champion at 150/1 this time last year and cash it out at 12/1 when it turns out he is actually a good player

If you mean paying transfers in instalments, the vast majority of transfers will be done that way these days, so you're not getting out of that.
I meant more so paying large fees for players. Rather stagger than all up front but just think we may need to be prudent in not lumbering ourselves with a lot of down the road payments.

Grillitsch is a lazy suggestion based on us being linked to him when he wasn't getting too old to be who we should be aiming for, and Dahoud would be completely unattainable

These weren't suggestions. This was just a list of players with contracts expiring so on a free.

Credit Champagneblade for putting it together rather than calling him lazy ffs!

There are quite a few out of contract players in Europe and I also think we need to accept that Doyle and McAtee may be priced out of a return. City may well decide to keep for another year at least and then they become loans at best. They may prefer teams that are likely to see more of the ball as well.

Looking to Europe, here are the out of contract players across major leagues that would seem realistic to at least invite the conversation:

Ligue Un:
Branco Van Den Boomen, Stijn Spierings (both Toulouse), Haris Belkebla (Brest)

Bundesliga:
Ellyes Skhiri (Köln), Mahmoud Dahoud (Dortmund)

La Liga:
Aleix Garcia (Girona), Santi Comesaña (Rayo Vallecano), Alvaro Aguardo (Real Valladolid), Oier Zarraga (Athletic), Gerard Gumbau (Elche)

Serie A:
Oliver Abildgaard (Helois Verona)

Eresdivisie:
Florian Grillitsch (Ajax)

Any hot takes on these?
Van Den Boomen is definitely worth a look. Great set pieces and a cool name

Nice to see we're still pretending that Berge will be better against better opposition.

Makes absolute sense that he was largely anonymous in the Championship and he'll be good in the Premier League despite being anonymous in that too last time.

Only in S2.

Far too harsh.

Berge’s muchhhhh more experienced now and he wasn’t largely anonymous this season. 7 goals and 6 assists is decent. His xA (Expected Assists) output is 0.19 per 90 minutes, which puts him above 80 percent of the players in the Championship aswell.

I think Berge’s price tag weighs heavy on him but at 25 years old he’s not hit his prime yet and a full champ season would’ve done him wonders for next season especially as the intensity of the press on him will drop somewhat.

One to watch next season for me.

These weren't suggestions. This was just a list of players with contracts expiring so on a free.

Credit Champagneblade for putting it together rather than calling him lazy ffs!
You are correct and very good of you to defend my honour, lazy git that I am 😉

I don't know most of them, which is partly why I reached out (any comments?), but they are under 30, given an arbitrary market value of greater than 3m and less than 12m and out of contract this summer, so I'd be surprised if that type of profile wasn't of interest to us.

There's a guy who is out of contract in Tunisia as well who went to the World Cup, of a slightly lesser value but looks to have a good profile, Mohamed Ali Ben Romdhane:

La Liga:

Any hot takes on these?

At last! Someone who recognises that we cannot possibly compete for ANY signings of players in the English league. We'd either be outbid or end up with those not up to the task like last time - unless we got very lucky. Either way they're all too expensive.

All signings are punts but there will be loads of players in Europe who are a better gamble. For all my moaning about Berge's shortcomings he's been a more resilient signing than the rest of those made during Wilder's Lost Weekend.

I can only speak about the Spanish League but I would have thought Zarraga would be out of our range and I don't think Aleix Garcia is out of contract anyway. Gumbau I've seen lots of and I wouldn't go there. We should, though, be enquiring about another Elche player, the forward Boyé, who has one year of his contract to run and they will be looking to sell after their miserable relegation. £10m would do it and his salary won't be enormous for a forward. He's still linked with Atlético and Sevilla but an English club could easily nip in.

My mate is a ST holder at Zulte-Weregem and he says all their players are shit so I hope we don't buy any!

At last! Someone who recognises that we cannot possibly compete for ANY signings of players in the English league. We'd either be outbid or end up with those not up to the task like last time - unless we got very lucky. Either way they're all too expensive.

All signings are punts but there will be loads of players in Europe who are a better gamble. For all my moaning about Berge's shortcomings he's been a more resilient signing than the rest of those made during Wilder's Lost Weekend.

I can only speak about the Spanish League but I would have thought Zarraga would be out of our range and I don't think Aleix Garcia is out of contract anyway. Gumbau I've seen lots of and I wouldn't go there. We should, though, be enquiring about another Elche player, the forward Boyé, who has one year of his contract to run and they will be looking to sell after their miserable relegation. £10m would do it and his salary won't be enormous for a forward. He's still linked with Atlético and Sevilla but an English club could easily nip in.

Boye as a striker doesn't exactly look like a prominent goalscorer.

20 odd goals in around 200 games. Been at multiple clubs and never exactly lit it up.

Also at 27 wrong age profile if we are going to spend a transfer fee.

Would only expect that that sorta age if looking for a free transfer.

Hard no on Boye for me.

Hi Stegosaurus here,

We need a lot of new players because our current crop are older and shittier than they were last time in the Prem, or just aren't good enough.

Ideally we need a new goalkeeper to replace League 1 Wes, a new crop of defenders to replace Enda (past it), Egan (past it), Bash (past it), Lowe (shit), Bogle (shit) and Robinson (shit). A new pair of midfielders to replace Fleck and Norwood (past it) and new strikers to replace Sharp (past it), McBurnie and Brewster (not good enough for the prem). Some of them--McBurnie, could be Ok as backup.

But overall, the squad needs a complete overhaul.
eloquently put, and so insightful
like the love child of Martin Keown and Simon Jordan

that said i do agree with some of your analysis

50/50 on Wes, Enda Sharp & Fleck have gone and rightly so.
Bash is useful for the bench to maybe make the last 10 mins when we need a cool head
Egan is fine, but needs Anel and AN Other better defender to support
Lowe is shit, your right
Bogle looked good before injury, 50/50
McB is ok off the bench
Brewster could be good enough if he can stay fit past the warm up

I could go with, and its making a presumption that x2 City lads come back - Doyle sale, Mcatee loan

Wes
Baldock - Anel - Egan - new - RND
Doyle
McAtee - Berge
Ndaiye - new

Bench - Mcb, Jebbinson, Robbo, Bogle, new GK, Norwood, Brewster, Bash

We need more bodies, but rather than buy loads of squad players, I would prefer that we use our existing lads for the bench, and spend the budget on 2 or 3 quality signings from - Chair, Longstaff, Archer, and a few from the relegated/missed promotion teams

Boye as a striker doesn't exactly look like a prominent goalscorer.

20 odd goals in around 200 games. Been at multiple clubs and never exactly lit it up.

Also at 27 wrong age profile if we are going to spend a transfer fee.

Would only expect that that sorta age if looking for a free transfer.

Hard no on Boye for me.

Stats don't tell you the story. Up until the last couple of years he was used mostly as a winger. Now, as a central striker he scores about 1 in 4/5 in a struggling side.

I'm really not sure what our fans expect? Do lots of them really think we can sign a player who will score 15-20 goals in a Premier League season? If so, they must have been on the Deludamol.

All we can ask is for a forward who will be able to hold the ball and move us forward, can bring others into the game and provide assists, and who can defend when necessary which will be often for us.

A year ago he was in the Argentinian squad prior to the World Cup and linked with moves to Barcelona or Atletico Madrid. This season he's been injured and until recently in poor form. That's the only reason we, or a club like us, would even be in the market. He would be a McBurnie upgrade.

Ryan Giles (Wolves) - Been on loan at Boro and for me was the best LB/LWB in the league this year. At the age now where you think he would like to settle at a club and cant see him going straight into Wolves first 11.

Lewis O'Brien - (Scabs) - Thought he was the best opposition CM when he came to the Lane with Huddersfield season before last. Think he would be a great replacement for Fleck if we can get a decent deal done. Wouldn't set our season alight but would be better than we have now. Wouldn't want to pay the 10M Forest paid.

Tommy Doyle - (Man City) - Don't really need to explain this, 10-15M get it done.

James McAtee - (Man City - Loan) - Not sure how we will set up next year but someone like McAtee is a great option when you need a goal.

Viktor Gyokeres - (Coventry) - I think he will probably want and get a bigger move but I'd happily spend 20m on this lad if its available.

Cameron Archer - (Villa - Loan) - He's been brilliant for Boro and think he is more to do with their good 2nd half of the season than Carrick.

Ryan Giles (Wolves) - Been on loan at Boro and for me was the best LB/LWB in the league this year. At the age now where you think he would like to settle at a club and cant see him going straight into Wolves first 11.

Lewis O'Brien - (Scabs) - Thought he was the best opposition CM when he came to the Lane with Huddersfield season before last. Think he would be a great replacement for Fleck if we can get a decent deal done. Wouldn't set our season alight but would be better than we have now. Wouldn't want to pay the 10M Forest paid.

Tommy Doyle - (Man City) - Don't really need to explain this, 10-15M get it done.

James McAtee - (Man City - Loan) - Not sure how we will set up next year but someone like McAtee is a great option when you need a goal.

Viktor Gyokeres - (Coventry) - I think he will probably want and get a bigger move but I'd happily spend 20m on this lad if its available.

Cameron Archer - (Villa - Loan) - He's been brilliant for Boro and think he is more to do with their good 2nd half of the season than Carrick.
Have we really got 10_15 m to spend on one player?

Back
Top Bottom