Rational Collins

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The Bohemian

Reaction score
“Everyone, hopefully, knows I’ve always given 100 per cent. It might not always have been to the quality some people think it should be or would like, but I’ve always given absolutely everything for this club.

“My appearance record won’t matter when we get promoted.”

For all his many failings as a footballer (which he seems to acknowledge) and prophet, Collins is one of very few who can be relied upon to give everything, every game, irrespective of how well or badly the team is supporting, or the level of abuse he's receiving from supporters. For this he deserves respect.

“Everyone, hopefully, knows I’ve always given 100 per cent. It might not always have been to the quality some people think it should be or would like, but I’ve always given absolutely everything for this club.

For all his many failings as a footballer (which he seems to acknowledge) and prophet, Collins is one of very few who can be relied upon to give everything, every game, irrespective of how well or badly the team is supporting, or the level of abuse he's receiving from supporters. For this he deserves respect.

I have to agree. Football matters to Collins, I am sure he does give everything. A little limited but not for the want of trying. My gripe with Collins is that for a mature player he seems more keen on bollocking other players for mistakes whether his or not, whether this is to hide or deflect any blame from him, but bollock and bark at them he does. Maybe this is why he has never been captain (unless I'm wrong on this one).

I have to agree. Football matters to Collins, I am sure he does give everything. A little limited but not for the want of trying. My gripe with Collins is that for a mature player he seems more keen on bollocking other players for mistakes whether his or not, whether this is to hide or deflect any blame from him, but bollock and bark at them he does. Maybe this is why he has never been captain (unless I'm wrong on this one).
Maybe it's because a Captain has to be good enough to actually stay in the team.

That's obviously why Adkins made the fantastic decision to appoint McEveley as club captain.

It matters not a jot what these players say in interviews, he is getting paid a lot of money to do a job he isn't doing. He simply isn't good enough.

I would put all my effort in if I played for the Blades, you wouldn't want me at centre half.

It matters not a jot what these players say in interviews, he is getting paid a lot of money to do a job he isn't doing. He simply isn't good enough.

I would put all my effort in if I played for the Blades, you wouldn't want me at centre half.

You (and others, to be fair) keep on banging the same drum about Collins, but I ask again, who at the club do we have to replace him?

It does no good moaning about the man, he's in the team for the foreseeable and there's one thing about him, he cares and does his best.

Can this be said about many of the others?

He also happens to be our 4th highest scorer ...

I don't like the number of bollockings he dishes out but the thing that really annoys me is that he'll quite often do it whilst the other team is still attacking rather than concentrate on his job.

Maybe it's because a Captain has to be good enough to actually stay in the team.

That's obviously why Adkins made the fantastic decision to appoint McEveley as club captain.
No, they don't.

I imagine John Terry is still great captain material at Chelsea despite him being in and out of the team.

Not saying that McEveley is or isn't a good captain, but I'd trust Adkins, who works closely with the players and has experience in making such decisions, over you.

You (and others, to be fair) keep on banging the same drum about Collins, but I ask again, who at the club do we have to replace him?

It does no good moaning about the man, he's in the team for the foreseeable and there's one thing about him, he cares and does his best.

Can this be said about many of the others?

He also happens to be our 4th highest scorer ...

And this is PRECISELY the problem which has been up in neon lights for the last 2 years, but nobody at Board / Management level have spotted this anomaly. Collins is the best permanent CH we have at the Club !

This is one of the main reasons why we are about to embark on our 6th season in this agricultural Division ....... :(

UTB & FTP

I would give everything as well if i played for the Blades. Thats doesnt mean I should warrant a place in the first team.

Its not just commitment we need its combination of everything.

Is he fishing for a new deal?

Wasn’t he vice captain for most of Doyle’s reign as captain wearing the armband whenever Doyle was out?

I have mixed feelings on the bollockings. I acknowledge the criticism but also consider the view that someone needs to bang some heads. I’m not convinced that the fact he is fallible himself precludes him from bollocking others if the intent is to try to rally and rile them.

His effort can't be questioned. Neither could Matt Hill's. Unfortunately effort alone only counts for so much, and Collins at the minute is way below the standards we have come to expect of him based on his time alongside Maguire. The fact he has 200 appearances is entirely representative of 4 full seasons at this level – had things gone to plan he'd probably have been on barely half that. We are very much living in The Collins Era of the club. And respectable trier that he is, that isn't a good thing.

And this is PRECISELY the problem which has been up in neon lights for the last 2 years, but nobody at Board / Management level have spotted this anomaly. Collins is the best permanent CH we have at the Club !

This is one of the main reasons why we are about to embark on our 6th season in this agricultural Division ....... :(

UTB & FTP

I don't disagree at all which is at why we need to get off Collo's back - and most of the others, through no fault of their own, are not good enough for the next step up.

Wasn’t he vice captain for most of Doyle’s reign as captain wearing the armband whenever Doyle was out?

I have mixed feelings on the bollockings. I acknowledge the criticism but also consider the view that someone needs to bang some heads. I’m not convinced that the fact he is fallible himself precludes him from bollocking others if the intent is to try to rally and rile them.

I agree entirely 1DW, just as me knowing nothing about football never stops me from posting! :eek:

I just think he needs a bit more balance, if he is constantly bollocking which he sometimes appears to do, I would imagine players just switch off. Yes by all means if needed but not constantly. I wonder how he would react to players barking in his face when he makes an error? Not all errors are through lack of effort or 'can't be bothered'. Maybe a supportive word now and again might be more constructive and ultimately beneficial to the performance of the team.

Absolutely and well said

I don't disagree at all which is at why we need to get off Collo's back - and most of the others, through no fault of their own, are not good enough for the next step up.
Basham is the best 'permanent' CH at the club - that's as long as we stop fucking about with him in midfield.

Collins is the second best CH in the club and together [as was the case Saturday] they did a pretty decent job for me. Could we do better in the marketplace, yes, but at the moment Collins has the shirt and the fact 'the powers that be' haven't replaced him isn't the kids fault.

You are absolutely right about getting off his back - as well as others. If they are picked, and if they do their absolute best they shouldn't be hammered. It ain't the players fault and getting on his case every time he makes a mistake (like the prick who sits two rows behind me) will not make him play any better or with more confidence.

Suppose he could always refuse to play?

Just one small measure of that commitment.

Over the years he has been with us Collins competes for the ball at every corner and gets his fair share of goals, often crucial goals.

It struck me at Morecambe this season when he came on as sub late in the game and scored from a corner in injury time - he has that determination to get his head on the ball. We'd gone a whole game without threatening them at corners.

How many corners do all the other "big lads" we have endured over the years ever got their head to the ball, never mind score. Take Basham for example, although he hit a post last game, just how many corners has he gone up for and how many headers has he won; we know he rarely scores. Think about all the other players up there, how many wasted trips have they made into the opposition penalty area without ever getting near the ball - first contact or even rebounds. Do they hide?

Collins does not hide, that's a fact!!

I would find the negative in everything Collins has to say or does. He's an awful player and seems to be a character id rather we did without.

Whilst he wears his heart on the sleeve and says things like this it doesn't actually mean that the 100% he gives is worth anything.

As cooperblade says, sometimes you would rather he defended and did his job instead of bollocking others.

I saw the delight on his face on Saturday when he scored (decent touch and finish) perhaps he was just glad that he wasn't going to get such a bollocking at halftime. oh wait, didn't that happen away at Swindon last year...

Collins' clean slate didn't last long. Transfer out ASAP. Perhaps to Saudi and the team Jim Phipps seems to be banging on about on twitter

Ive seen plenty of players who put everything in even though they have limited ability
I wouldnt put collins in that category ,think he is a good pro and talks a good game but like so many others in the squad he lets himself down by switching off or not turning up on occasions

Unfortunately we are not blessed with an abundance of decent centre backs at the club, is that Collins fault or any of the other would be candidates. No, that fault lies with NC and our current manager, Collins is doing a job for the club and until the manager gets his finger out and addresses the problem I'll back Collins to do the job.

Collins seems to get on well with the rest of the squad as the delight shown by all the players when Collins scored at Morecambe so I think your probably wrong on this one.Collins on the pitch is probably a different character to the one he is when not in match action .He comes across as a mild mannered guy in his interviews.One thing for sure he's a realist as he knows he's probably going at the end of this season
But wants to go out on a high ,let's hope he gets his wish.

Collins seems to get on well with the rest of the squad as the delight shown by all the players when Collins scored at Morecambe so I think your probably wrong on this one.Collins on the pitch is probably a different character to the one he is when not in match action .He comes across as a mild mannered guy in his interviews.One thing for sure he's a realist as he knows he's probably going at the end of this season
But wants to go out on a high ,let's hope he gets his wish.

You could be right Finlay, just my observations.

Reading this thread and seeing how some rate Collins' ability shows the sad state of affairs we have sunken to at our club

Reading this thread and seeing how some rate Collins' ability shows the sad state of affairs we have sunken to at our club

NA selects Collins because he is probably the best we have in that position, that doesn't mean he is a gifted defender just the current and previous manager haven't addressed the position that has been holding us back since HM left.

NA selects Collins because he is probably the best we have in that position, that doesn't mean he is a gifted defender just the current and previous manager haven't addressed the position that has been holding us back since HM left.
Appreciate what your saying Derry and there's little doubt Collins gives his all but when a few wax lyrical about his talents it shows how low our standards have fallen

All this stuff about him bawling out his team mates - no-one would care if he was actually quite good.

Much like the entirely suppositious claims that all our players too preoccupied with their hair and cars. No-one would give a rat's if we were winning.

Golden rule to being popular - don't be crap.

Back
Top Bottom