Radio Massive

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Don't attack me but I've always thought RS coverage is good. I also think all of the presenters are good and have at times asked probing questions more than grovelling Shields.

Yes Rob Staton is a Wednesdayite but I think he's always fair on United. Why would RS wish to alienate half of their listenership?

They don't .......they alienate about 5% of their listenership ........ don't forget the deluded, arrogant, piggy bastards are MASSIVE so they have more radio listeners worldwide than anybody else .... :eek:

UTB & FTP

To be fair we got loads of plaudits in the media for our support in our cup runs. I always recall Henry Winter raving about Bramall Lane and our fans in an article around the time we went up to the prem. We were also voted the 2nd loudest fans in the league during our season in the Prem.

Its not hard to understand why Wednesday were so vocal yesterday . They have had their best season in 16 years. That is an incredibly long time to go with only a few promotions out the third tier to cheer. They have only had one decent cup run in that time too. They have been starved of a genuinely big game for so long that it was twice as exciting for them as it would have been for most other clubs their size .

Roy I'm not denying that Wednesday have great support, certainly better than the vast majority of clubs, but a large proportion of their fan base only come out for the big games, not only now but over the years even when they were doing well and that's when the national media go on about how great they are and how many times have we heard that they should be in the Premier League. Well what about Wolves, Leeds, Forest and us?! Personally I'm over the moon that they lost and I hope that they might be a little more reserved in future seasons then this season; until promotion is actually sealed it means nothing other than good memories.

I haven't listened to that godawful station since Seth Bennett left. He was the only one unaffected by the swine flu.

Fuck Radio Sheffield, Fuck Football Heaven and fuck their Pig propaganda. Switch it off and stay switched off.

Paul Walker is a Blade, I know that. And he hasn't put anything about great support Wednesday, or hard luck Wednesday etc on his twitter feed. Sadly he's left of course, but he does still feature occasionally.

Roy I'm not denying that Wednesday have great support, certainly better than the vast majority of clubs, but a large proportion of their fan base only come out for the big games, not only now but over the years even when they were doing well and that's when the national media go on about how great they are and how many times have we heard that they should be in the Premier League. Well what about Wolves, Leeds, Forest and us?! Personally I'm over the moon that they lost and I hope that they might be a little more reserved in future seasons then this season; until promotion is actually sealed it means nothing other than good memories.

It is strange how some of the media have managed to be sucked into the myth that they are amazingly well supported. I can only put it down to the likes of Waddle and Bright being in the media. Joey Barton tweeted something about how only Man City, Leeds and Wednesday could get 30,000 for a League One game. Underneath his post the fans of the likes of Southampton, Leicester , Norwich and us pointed out that was simply untrue as all these clubs managed that feat too. He never responded as none of them do when they are confronted with the facts. I don't get how they have managed to spread the propaganda in the way they have when they haven't averaged 30,000 in over 40 years but to be honest I think it just makes the pundits look totally unknowledgeable about the game which a lot actually are when it comes to football history and away from what's happening on the pitch

I tweeted the fact to a mate that they had not averaged over 30,000 for nearly 50 years. He said I was talking rubbish and cited 80's and 90's. The reality is 1967-68 was the last time they managed this feat. That is a fact for all their talk of fans and how great they are, they cannot get away from. Not once in 48 years have they averaged over 30,000 for a season

A club so massive with fans everywhere surely would do better than this?

They spent a long period of the 80's and 90's in the top flight too and finished as high as 3rd and a few other top 10 finished throughout this period; were around top end mid 80's quite a bit under Wilkinson and same under Francis in mid 90's.

We have had far fewer seasons in top fllght in same period and nowhere near level of success of them (they have won a cup, been to quite a few cup finals and made it to Europe) but our so called inferior fans managed it 71-72 and also 06-07.

Massive my arse.

No stats to back this up, but when times are good they seem to get more support. When times are hard, we get more support. We have a bigger "hard core" of support, they have more "fine weather" supporters.

No stats to back this up, but when times are good they seem to get more support. When times are hard, we get more support. We have a bigger "hard core" of support, they have more "fine weather" supporters.

I agree with that. They certainly have an unbelievable number of glory supporters.

I think the reality is the opposite. Since 2000, for attendances outside the top flight we've been averaging below 20k on 10 occasions (above 20k the other 6, which to my surprise doesn't include the cracking 2002-03 season). They have only been sub-20k twice in that same period outside the top division. Our attendances were highest during the Premier League year, the year before, and the immediate years following – taking a big tumble after Blackwell's last full season that frankly we haven't recovered from.

That doesn't change the fact that they hilariously haven't been over 30k since the 60s compared to us having managed it in 2007. But looking at the dip since the fall down a division we're not in a great position to argue about relative fair weatherness. That being said, both clubs having the attendances they have had in the third tier are more impressive than most of the rest that have been down here.

I work on radio in Hull, and my better half is from Hessle, so it was interesting to be sat in the middle of it all on Saturday afternoon as what could have been considered as a neutral.

So, did I sit on the fence, and remain unbiased?

Did I knackers! I took great pleasure in telling my fellow presenters, who were down on Wembley Way, that as a Blade, I wanted nothing less than a City win..

Needless to say, its been a cracking bank holiday weekend! :D

Don't forget the insidious backing the 'local' media give to Wendy. When they've got a big match coming up, RS practically offer free coaches to 'get down to Hillsborough'. We've had the usual excitement generated with this Hull game - 'free pull-outs' in The Stir, wall-to-wall coverage on RS. It's always been that way (Remember 'Save Our Owls'?). Now they're gobbing off about 'coming back stronger' next season.

Our crowds this season just gone are only slightly below their's. That's playing teams who often bring 2 men and a dog as away support, being a division lower and having endured the worse season and manager in living memory.

The coverage in the star has been unbeleivable. The latest article finishes with "Wednesday are on their way".

There are three current articles on there all about "Wednesday's amazing support". One starts with saying there was 41000 there, then in the same article he says "the near 40000 following"...well which one is it? Could have sworn they were given 39K tickets.

Yet when we were in the Cup semi and gave just as good a backing we don't get anywhere near the coverage, maybe that's down to James Shield as opposed to the current journo for the pigs who is as biased as a 12 year old banging his plastic drum in the pig band.

Also, didnt we take 40000 for the play off against Burnley? yet they seem to forget that.

Finally, what the fuck do they expect, it's their first visit to wembley and only second big game in 23 years. in the same period we've had 7 equivalent games (play off finals/FA cup semis) and with the exception of the Huddersfield play off, sold everyone one of them out.

Finally, what the fuck do they expect, it's their first visit to wembley and only second big game in 23 years. in the same period we've had 7 equivalent games (play off finals/FA cup semis) and with the exception of the Huddersfield play off, sold everyone one of them out.

In a nutshell. The 'novelty factor' of going to the 'new' Wembley is irresistable if you haven't been before - we're bored with it now. FFS, Barnsley took 40k to the JPT final (and Oxford took over 32.5k), but I don't remember any song and dance being made. Every photo I've seen of the pig fans shows them wearing brand new scarves and shirts. Now they'll be consigned to the back of the wardrobe, along with their jester hats and 'clackers'.

Anyway, we'd better build a new stand for Wimbledon's visit next season. They had over 25k at Wembley. Surely they're not all on a day out and will melt away?

I think the reality is the opposite. Since 2000, for attendances outside the top flight we've been averaging below 20k on 10 occasions (above 20k the other 6, which to my surprise doesn't include the cracking 2002-03 season). They have only been sub-20k twice in that same period outside the top division. Our attendances were highest during the Premier League year, the year before, and the immediate years following – taking a big tumble after Blackwell's last full season that frankly we haven't recovered from.

That doesn't change the fact that they hilariously haven't been over 30k since the 60s compared to us having managed it in 2007. But looking at the dip since the fall down a division we're not in a great position to argue about relative fair weatherness. That being said, both clubs having the attendances they have had in the third tier are more impressive than most of the rest that have been down here.
Suspect I'm older than you. I was going back to the seventies even remember decent crowds in the old 4th division. More recently, they have had home crowds boosted by greater away support at Championship level than League 1. Some of our home matches you could have fitted the away support in one or two coaches. However, at least you could be arsed to do the stats and decent research rather than anecdotal rambling.

The coverage in the star has been unbeleivable. The latest article finishes with "Wednesday are on their way".

There are three current articles on there all about "Wednesday's amazing support". One starts with saying there was 41000 there, then in the same article he says "the near 40000 following"...well which one is it? Could have sworn they were given 39K tickets.

Yet when we were in the Cup semi and gave just as good a backing we don't get anywhere near the coverage, maybe that's down to James Shield as opposed to the current journo for the pigs who is as biased as a 12 year old banging his plastic drum in the pig band.

Also, didnt we take 40000 for the play off against Burnley? yet they seem to forget that.

#nickblade covered it;

MYTH NUMBER ONE

'We sold 40,000 tickets in 24 hours'

Exhibit A

xqc8yv.png

Exhibit B

2mdqveg.png

They actually sold 38,000 in 8 days...

#nickblade covered it;

MYTH NUMBER ONE

'We sold 40,000 tickets in 24 hours'

Exhibit A

xqc8yv.png

Exhibit B

2mdqveg.png

They actually sold 38,000 in 8 days...

It's funny how the star and radio Sheffield like to round up when the pigs are concerned, you have to laugh it's that ridiculous! when we average 19k for average attendance they say 19K, they never round it up to 20000.

When any journo has referenced our support this season it's always been "average home gate of 19k", if it was the pigs it would be "20K+"

Can't wait to see how many we'll get through the gates next season if wilder has us playing and in the top two, bet we don't get any coverage from the local media.

Had the unfortunate experience of catching 5 minutes of Toby "its all about me" Foster on the radio this morning :eek: he was bigging the dingles up and asking for the knuckle draggers & wendy fans to ring in about their thoughts of the weekend, but also added that he had a few blades texting etc but he would,nt be taking their calls/texts o_O what an absolute cunt that bloke is ! and they aint biased ? my fuckin arse

Unbelievable comment from a so called professional sports presenter. As said earlier their support yesterday was no different to that we've show. Numerous times in the past.

Now if they could match our support after so many kicks in the teeth we've endured, that really would be something special.

He's no more a fucking professional Sports Presenter than me being 15st makes me a professional heavyweight boxer. Professional twat maybe.

It's funny how the star and radio Sheffield like to round up when the pigs are concerned, you have to laugh it's that ridiculous! when we average 19k for average attendance they say 19K, they never round it up to 20000.

When any journo has referenced our support this season it's always been "average home gate of 19k", if it was the pigs it would be "20K+"

Can't wait to see how many we'll get through the gates next season if wilder has us playing and in the top two, bet we don't get any coverage from the local media.

Back in March, the pigs played Charlton at home. It was all over Radio Pig that 'it's a sell-out', 'all tickets are gone' and 'Yeah, right? know what I mean, right? No tickets, yeah? sold. Right?'

The crowd? 29,668. Yet Wikipedia puts the capacity of that dump at 39,732. Hmm.Only ten thou. out.

I think we can all agree that Wednesday have great support for these big occasions. However, I glanced on Porktalk yesterday and even their more intelligent fans said their crowds will be back to 22,000 average next season, so its whether you look at Wednesday as having amazing support at Wembley (as the local and national media do) or whether ou think, as I do and no doubt most Blades, that there support is largely only there for the big days.

I've not read the Star or listened to Radio Sheffield during this last two weeks because it would be too painful and annoying to listen to, but historically there seems to be a bias to Wednesday. In my time as a Blade, 1990 onwards, I think that Radio Sheffield have done a great job covering the area and Rob Staton doesn't represent all of the presenters, and since he's a pig fan he's bound to be biased.

I read one amazingly biased article from the Guardian of all papers that stated how amazing Wednesdays support was but totally forgot to mention where are they on a Saturday and then he said it was a truly remarkable feat that a team based on free transfers and loan signings had done so well! Has he forgot about £3m on Forestieri, £3m on Hooper, £2m on Matias, £2m on Joao, Bannan cost a fee - who knows what that is, and then there's the loan fees for the likes of Pudil. Still if it makes a good story!

Last edited:
Back in March, the pigs played Charlton at home. It was all over Radio Pig that 'it's a sell-out', 'all tickets are gone' and 'Yeah, right? know what I mean, right? No tickets, yeah? sold. Right?'

The crowd? 29,668. Yet Wikipedia puts the capacity of that dump at 39,732. Hmm.Only ten thou. out.

They can only get a maximum of 37,000 due to safety restrictions anyway. It'll be interesting to see if their chairman actually spends any money on their ground which quite clearly needs major surgery to the away end for starters! I can't wait to see our Kop rebuilt in the not too distant future, according to a few articles from November 2015 we still are going ahead with plans to do it.

However, Stanton should be pulled up if he basically said that the pigs are biggest club in the region. That's not a fact, and is unacceptable snorter bias.
It's an opinion that's pretty close to being a fact.

Wednesday are a bigger club than us. There's not much evidence to suggest otherwise.

They can only get a maximum of 37,000 due to safety restrictions anyway. It'll be interesting to see if their chairman actually spends any money on their ground which quite clearly needs major surgery to the away end for starters! I can't wait to see our Kop rebuilt in the not too distant future, according to a few articles from November 2015 we still are going ahead with plans to do it.

One thing I can't fault McCabe for is he has always been aiming to improve our ground regardless of where we are. That does come with being in property business anyway but he won't let our ground start looking like a rust bucket even if it means giving it a drop of paint now and then.

If things do improve on the field then I expect the KOP to finally get the revamp its due.

We should really do something about this. The BBC are supposed to be impartial and he needs to taking to task about it because it's clear bias. I feel quite strongly about this because it's totally unprofessional

To be fair, they're only obliged to be impartial on politics, not sport.

In a nutshell. The 'novelty factor' of going to the 'new' Wembley is irresistable if you haven't been before - we're bored with it now. FFS, Barnsley took 40k to the JPT final (and Oxford took over 32.5k), but I don't remember any song and dance being made. Every photo I've seen of the pig fans shows them wearing brand new scarves and shirts. Now they'll be consigned to the back of the wardrobe, along with their jester hats and 'clackers'.

Anyway, we'd better build a new stand for Wimbledon's visit next season. They had over 25k at Wembley. Surely they're not all on a day out and will melt away?

They must have all gone to the Foxhill landfill site on Sunday / Monday as there are skip containers full of jester hats , clackers , and half and half scarves . Them part time supporters of little faith and too much front like Blackpool pier.

The shirts from this weekend will be classed as retro , next time S6 get to Wembley.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom