Pundits not even hiding that they want us relegated…

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Yep. Damn us eh? Spending within our means and setting a bad example!
This is exactly what the PL don’t want 😂

They want fancy signings / clubs going bust it’s better TV. Than sufc spending nothing going down being smart and trying again next season.

Norwich and WBA use to get pelters for it.

Talkshite is like most of the media, in that it largely caters for "fans" of the big six, usually it concentrates on whichever ones are currently out of the top 4. Today for instance, "should Poch be sacked if Chelsea lose to Boro".

We are not fashionable. We do not fit the narrative of a plucky Luton. We are a club with a decent set up (ground, academy, attendance) but don't really offer little (apart from Wilder 1.0 in 19/20). Therefore pundits are never going to give us any favour, credit. See WBA, Watford etc for similar punditry commentary when they are in PL.

I would be truly interesting if say the top 8 decided to form a super duper league within the English pyramid - how would pundits cope then - they'd have to slag of Man City, Liverpool, Spurs et al at some point.

They want fancy signings / clubs going bust it’s better TV. Than sufc spending nothing going down being smart and trying again next season.

Exactly this.
last season forest spent ££££ and when they stayed up they got credit. Now the spectre of FFP (or whatever) hangs over them, they have been too ambitious, too risky, too much pushing to stay up.
Pundits are arseholes.

Without any understanding to what happens after you get relegated this is what most of the dumbass pundits want:

• have a go, so overspend
  • sack the manager when not winning
  • push the boat out again one you reach January
  • show some ambition once you go down to bounce back

Quite possibly as a collective set of actions, one of the most reckless blueprints you can come up with to send your club into oblivion.

It ignores how competitive the Championship is and just creates a massive spiral of loss making.

But they are not the ones to pick up the tab and as ever it is always very easy to spend someone else’s money and have no accountability for it.

Without any understanding to what happens after you get relegated this is what most of the dumbass pundits want:

Quite possibly as a collective set of actions, one of the most reckless blueprints you can come up with to send your club into oblivion.

It ignores how competitive the Championship is and just creates a massive spiral of loss making.

But they are not the ones to pick up the tab and as ever it is always very easy to spend someone else’s money and have no accountability for it.
Makes for good tv though!

I dunno, nobody really fancied us in the Championship either. Demeaning our position in the league at every opportunity…We must have shagged somebody’s wife.

Being a big city club, with bigger crowds than Burnley and Luton put together, I guess the plucky little underdog tag just doesn’t quite work for us. But conversely, our inability to throw money about isn’t very sexy with Prem focused media types either. also Hecky’s uninspiring approach only served to confirm their lazy stereotypes about us.
Ok, so we’ve not really given it a go, and when people say we’re shite … it hard to give them an argument. But what I don’t really understand the open-season vitriol that many journo’s and pundits seem to reserve for us.

Why is it everybody in the media seems lose their sense measured diplomacy when they start discussing us…So disrespectful to us as a club or a fanbase.

Why is it everybody in the media seems lose their sense measured diplomacy when they start discussing us…So disrespectful to us as a club or a fanbase.

The good will we had started to gather in 2019 seems to have long gone.

Being a big city club, with bigger crowds than Burnley and Luton put together, I guess the plucky little underdog tag just doesn’t quite work for us. But conversely, our inability to throw money about isn’t very sexy with Prem focused media types either. also Hecky’s uninspiring approach only served to confirm their lazy stereotypes about us.
Ok, so we’ve not really given it a go, and when people say we’re shite … it hard to give them an argument. But what I don’t really understand the open-season vitriol that many journo’s and pundits seem to reserve for us.
Occupying that familiar niche of being nobody’s cup of tea 😆

You have to remember these pundits are ex players whose major income comes from the PFA pension fund. The more money players earn, the more money goes into that pension fund. Of course their philosophy will be push the boat out and pay the players more.

Shock.

I said a few months back that our summer window and its total ineptitude would cost us more than points.

It’s ok us not giving a shit what tosses like these think, however you would be stupid to not accept that a similar train of thought isn’t taking place within other stakeholders in the game.

Premier league
Powerhouse clubs
Referees
Media
Fans

All will have similar opinions and this will lead to bias, whether unconscious or not.

We simply made ourselves look like we don’t belong, the paupers walking around Harrods with a paper cup having somehow managed to get past the doormen and security. Everyone looking down on us chucking mucky looks rather than the charity we are looking for.

It’s certainly no surprise to me, nor would it be if we didn’t suffer further from this with our name tarnished in the top division for some time to come.
If we do somehow fluke this due to points deductions it will only get worse as well, such is the stench of corruption etc that they will completely overlook the fact the offenders were cheating the rules and instead focus on it being a disgrace it’s happened to afford us another year bringing the place down!

I don’t see the problem with this viewpoint. We’ve got promoted and on the eve of a season sold 2 of our most talented players.

Then we’ve started the season with a team who would struggle to finish top half in the Championship, played really negative football, got to January and not spent any money signing anyone to rectify the issues and we’re 2/3’s of the way through the month.

In our favour we’ve sacked a manager and brought someone else in, although he was also responsible for the worst start by a team (us) in PL history.

It hardly screams “we’re taking this Premier League seriously” does it?!

...and all blame and culpability points back in one direction.

I think it creates a bit of a siege mentality, us against everyone, fuck them all attitude. Unless we all of a sudden start playing Barcelona type football or get bought by high spending billionaire we are just not going to be in pundits or media thoughts.

Me personally im not bothered about being loved by other fans or pundits. I want teams and opposition fans to hate coming to Bramall lane because they know they are in for a rough ride.

Lastly because we have spent so little time in the prem not many of the pundits have ever played for us. That makes a big difference in their views I think. Michael brown always speaks highly of us obviously

They're all London and North west obsessed, no one else matters in their eyes

It’s true. And as someone else mentioned on this thread, all the filters come off the pundits when they talk about us. Which is fine by the way, nothing wrong with calling something as they see it, but have a listen to the cagey language they use when a Liverpool player for example commits a foul or goes down easy to get a penalty. Baldock against Wolves, MoTD called him a cheat, outright. If that was “Trent” (everyone on first name terms by the way), “you get touched in the area, you are entitled to go down”. They are very selective and cautious as they don’t want to upset the big boys. It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that they lose a cushy gig by upsetting Pep or Klopp once too often, or just protecting the major assets of the brand. So they seize on the opportunity to be honest when it comes to teams like us. Danny Murphy is one of the worst for this.

Shock.

I said a few months back that our summer window and its total ineptitude would cost us more than points.

It’s ok us not giving a shit what tosses like these think, however you would be stupid to not accept that a similar train of thought isn’t taking place within other stakeholders in the game.

Premier league
Powerhouse clubs
Referees
Media
Fans

All will have similar opinions and this will lead to bias, whether unconscious or not.

We simply made ourselves look like we don’t belong, the paupers walking around Harrods with a paper cup having somehow managed to get past the doormen and security. Everyone looking down on us chucking mucky looks rather than the charity we are looking for.

It’s certainly no surprise to me, nor would it be if we didn’t suffer further from this with our name tarnished in the top division for some time to come.
If we do somehow fluke this due to points deductions it will only get worse as well, such is the stench of corruption etc that they will completely overlook the fact the offenders were cheating the rules and instead focus on it being a disgrace it’s happened to afford us another year bringing the place down!
Yes, I agree entirely, we have not helped our cause here. In fact we have actively emboldened the pundits with their “lazy stereotypes” about us. But since we were last in the Prem a culture of punching down seems to be prevalent, I guess the Premier league would argue that they hand out huge sums of money to promoted clubs to try and make their passage into the top flight more competitive…It must irk some people that we trousered that money, then simultaneously sold our best players and then have the audacity to try and stay up with a sub par championship team.

It’s true. And as someone else mentioned on this thread, all the filters come off the pundits when they talk about us. Which is fine by the way, nothing wrong with calling something as they see it, but have a listen to the cagey language they use when a Liverpool player for example commits a foul or goes down easy to get a penalty. Baldock against Wolves, MoTD called him a cheat, outright. If that was “Trent” (everyone on first name terms by the way), “you get touched in the area, you are entitled to go down”. They are very selective and cautious as they don’t want to upset the big boys. It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that they lose a cushy gig by upsetting Pep or Klopp once too often, or just protecting the major assets of the brand. So they seize on the opportunity to be honest when it comes to teams like us. Danny Murphy is one of the worst for this.
Agree, Think they need a change, particularly sky sports football (who I've now quit) sick of hearing whining Carragher & the soccer Saturday group, don't think they dare sack Merson considering his mental state and can't stand Leslie on commentry, stating stat after stat about how bad we are, and Goodman,

We must be one of the most mentioned Clubs in the media, all for shit records or failure. No such thing as bad publicity. Feck em. UTB.

Not always the case, they love Leeds and Forest as well.

I can guarantee if the pigs ever got themselves into the PL there’d be masses of shite about them being “back where they belong” similar to the Leeds and Forest shite.

Nobody gives a fuck about United. We are just something to talk about for a bit. Replace us with whoever is shit next season and the stories will be the same

A prime example of media bias against us is Martin Samuel's column in The Times today. He is a known West Ham supporter and any pretence of impartiality went straight out of the window as soon as he talked about the two extra time penalty decisions in the match at the Lane on Saturday. The penalty awarded to McBurnie was 'wrong', no debate, and the Bowen/Ahmedhodzic fall to the ground 'should have been a penalty'. He suggests the ref was worried about getting good reviews, not that he might possibly have been right nor that there was no VAR correction in either case.

Yes, I agree entirely, we have not helped our cause here. In fact we have actively emboldened the pundits with their “lazy stereotypes” about us. But since we were last in the Prem a culture of punching down seems to be prevalent, I guess the Premier league would argue that they hand out huge sums of money to promoted clubs to try and make their passage into the top flight more competitive…It must irk some people that we trousered that money, then simultaneously sold our best players and then have the audacity to try and stay up with a sub par championship team.

You know it gets paid in instalments rights? The promotion money to a club like ours isn't enough as on promotion costs for everything go up. It's only enough if you have an owner that will sail close to FFP sanctions by also throwing their own cash about like Forest.

You know it gets paid in instalments rights? The promotion money to a club like ours isn't enough as on promotion costs for everything go up. It's only enough if you have an owner that will sail close to FFP sanctions by also throwing their own cash about like Forest.
Yes I know, but from a Premier League’s point of view any money would be given in the hope of enhancing their product. Unfortunately for clubs like us the model doesn’t work. greater cooperation between the leagues could help. If the mega rich Prem extended their incremental pay bands to 23 teams and actually paid the top 3 teams as prize money…That might help

Back
Top Bottom