Pundits not even hiding that they want us relegated…

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bertie Mee

Reaction score
Maybe not all but it appears quite a few certainly do. Did anyone else hear Andy Jacobs on talksport earlier today when they were reviewing all the weekend games from the Premier League? Paul Hawksbee and another presenter were debating ours and West Ham’s late penalty incidents both offering balanced opinions however Andy Jacob’s remained ominously quiet in the background. I was driving in the car taking my son to the dentist and I said to him, just wait I bet you anything Andy Jacob’s says something derogatory about us and as the words had just come out of my mouth there it was.….‘what would be really funny is if Forest & Everton were deducted a 10 points each but Sheffield United were still relegated‘ then said ‘they just need to be relegated regardless’ or words to that effect. I said there you go son I just knew he wouldn’t be able to resist sticking the boot in. I can’t stand the bloke - bitter and twisted little man. The quicker he is off that station the better!

I understand it to be fair… we don’t really add a lot to the PL. Leicester will come up and spend big as will Southampton and Leeds.

Unfashionable teams like us who have a small net spend isn’t what the global public want.

The problem is that an awful lot of West Ham fans are hidden away in a variety of media jobs and delight in taking any opportunity to give us a good kicking.I think we should try and encourage a few young blades supporters to follow the media route of employment and turn the tables on the cheating London east end twats.
In the league table of current dislike of opponents they keep a solid place in the top 3,

1) Always Pigs
2) Forest
3) West Ham

I don’t see the problem with this viewpoint. We’ve got promoted and on the eve of a season sold 2 of our most talented players.

Then we’ve started the season with a team who would struggle to finish top half in the Championship, played really negative football, got to January and not spent any money signing anyone to rectify the issues and we’re 2/3’s of the way through the month.

In our favour we’ve sacked a manager and brought someone else in, although he was also responsible for the worst start by a team (us) in PL history.

It hardly screams “we’re taking this Premier League seriously” does it?!

Jacobs is a Chelsea fan so not sure he has any problem with us. I have a problem with Hawksbee and Jacob's though, by far the worst show on Talksport, both just laughing at their own crap jokes, mixed in with b list celeb interviews who talk about their tv career or book etc and then five minutes on supporting whatever team they support, usually one if the big six

They should have been retired years ago.

Jacobs is a Chelsea fan so not sure he has any problem with us. I have a problem with Hawksbee and Jacob's though, by far the worst show on Talksport, both just laughing at their own crap jokes, mixed in with b list celeb interviews who talk about their tv career or book etc and then five minutes on supporting whatever team they support, usually one if the big six

Those two are the most boring men on radio.

I believe that's the whole point of the show, it's deliberately a slower paced warm up show.

Always found Hawksbee to be pretty respectful.
He seems to know quite alot about us and I'm sure he's said in the past that his daughter was recently studying at Sheffield University.

However I find Jacobs to be so entitled it's so annoying. Anyone would think he's only been a Chelsea fan since 2000. I remember Chelsea in the 80's and they were a very ordinary 2nd tier club with low crowds.

This season he talks like he's the biggest suffering fan in world football, always demanding sympathy because his team are only upper- mid table.
When Chelsea lose it's always Chelsea who played poorly, he never gives any credit to the opposition.

Also agree with the earlier comment, it's very London centric....the only exceptions are Man Utd, Citay and Liverpool.
Also agree with the earlier comment that most of the shows (not all) are like reading The Sun and they are designed for that kind of supporter.
So they are deliberately controversial and opinionated trying to encourage a reaction...however this can sometimes be entertaining.

Last edited:
I understand it to be fair… we don’t really add a lot to the PL. Leicester will come up and spend big as will Southampton and Leeds.

Unfashionable teams like us who have a small net spend isn’t what the global public want.
Yep. Damn us eh? Spending within our means and setting a bad example!

It seems as though all channels showing the West ham game had ex West ham players as $expert pundits". Thankfully our coverage in Oz had David James and Defoe who were actually reasonably complimentary to us. Albeit Defoe has zero presenter skills.

Other than that most pundits are just plain fucking awful. I would love to slap Tim Sherwood square in the face.

every fucking channel i watched the match on either joe cole,rio or dean ashton not one former blade in sight pfffft wish i wouldn't say the but andy fucking hinchliffe was more neutral,on there forum they mentioned "i think i saw one west ham fan with a tevez mask on" 😂😂 i watched a west ham vlog yesterday of the match and they were all giving one Carlos Tevez,that say hello to Millwall was shit too na fuck off back to Essex and say hello to Joey Essex while ya theer

As an outsider I fully agree. Like it or not, the pundits either love a club who have a 'project' or an 'identity', or one that 'give it a real go'. So unfortunately with your form and at times your 'surrendering the white flag' under Hecky, it probably hasn't won any friends. You look at Luton and you think they are having a real go, even if they at times have looked woefully devoid of quality.

I wouldn't worry about it though, it is all BS and part of the propaganda of inflating the Premier League even further so it keeps creating the myth of we are living in the best of times when it comes to football.

I really don't understand why people get wound up by pundits.
It’s the way it is, sadly. Unless you’re top 6 you get very little coverage, from 7-17 there are some flavours of the month (we were one of them when we had the over lapping centre halves) but there are then the 3 that come up that are either the darlings or the damned. That’s how the Premier League is. Protect the product and keep it as insular as possible. It’s how it was designed. That’s the media in general

Pundits are picked from a pool of ex players not because of their high levels of research but for their entertainment value - the likes of talk sport goes for the click baiters, BBC likes to keep it as beige as possible and SKY, BT/ TNT have much more time to fill so they get in pundits that just love to talk. Some good, some bad.

Pundits don’t have to be well informed, just have an opinion.

I don’t see the problem with this viewpoint. We’ve got promoted and on the eve of a season sold 2 of our most talented players.

Then we’ve started the season with a team who would struggle to finish top half in the Championship, played really negative football, got to January and not spent any money signing anyone to rectify the issues and we’re 2/3’s of the way through the month.

In our favour we’ve sacked a manager and brought someone else in, although he was also responsible for the worst start by a team (us) in PL history.

This tbh

We really are leaving our legs open for people like this fella to kick us repeatedly in the goolies.

This isn't plucky little old Luton who have come storming through the leagues and are taking the league on , or unfashionable Burnley who are managed by a fashionable name who the media want to suck up to ...this is Sheff Utd , a club that have been in the top, richest league in Europe for 3 out of the last 5 years and have had 2 x para payments + another 2 if it goes tits up. A club that finished 9th in its first season and had an opportunity to cement itself in said league and change its identity - a club that , despite all this , has not even tried to give it a go the season and , from an outsiders viewpoint , inflicts self harm through its actions .

We have indeed offered nothing and a lot of people i speak to, and hear on the media, feel we are stealing a place and devaluing the brand - not saying i agree , but i can understand us being the whipping boys - we showed no bollocks whatsoever in terms of leadership .

IMO

It seems as though all channels showing the West ham game had ex West ham players as $expert pundits". Thankfully our coverage in Oz had David James and Defoe who were actually reasonably complimentary to us. Albeit Defoe has zero presenter skills.

Other than that most pundits are just plain fucking awful. I would love to slap Tim Sherwood square in the face.
Sherwood is the worst of the lot - a total smug git

This tbh

We really are leaving our legs open for people like this fella to kick us repeatedly in the goolies.

This isn't plucky little old Luton who have come storming through the leagues and are taking the league on , or unfashionable Burnley who are managed by a fashionable name who the media want to suck up to ...this is Sheff Utd , a club that have been in the top, richest league in Europe for 3 out of the last 5 years and have had 2 x para payments + another 2 if it goes tits up. A club that finished 9th in its first season and had an opportunity to cement itself in said league and change its identity - a club that , despite all this , has not even tried to give it a go the season and , from an outsiders viewpoint , inflicts self harm through its actions .

We have indeed offered nothing and a lot of people i speak to, and hear on the media, feel we are stealing a place and devaluing the brand - not saying i agree , but i can understand us being the whipping boys - we showed no bollocks whatsoever in terms of leadership .

IMO
You're right - we should have gone down the Everton and Nottm Forest route.
Who cares about the future as long as you have a bit of razzmatazz before you crash, burn and go bankrupt 🥳

Never heard of him.
Believe me he’s a full weight. It can be quite amusing though when Chelsea have lost as he quite often loses his shit at the beginning of the programme when asked his opinion on the game. Apparently loads of people just tune in just to hear that 😄

Sherwood wants a kick in the bolloxs mate 👍

Back
Top Bottom