Psychology of the restart

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

TedwynBladey

Reaction score
Motivational psychology has been key to United's success. As CW says we have to be playing at 100% to compete in this division, and the expectation of an immediate return to the Championship fired up every player. A build up over a long pre-season focused on that 'goal' of the first game at Bournemouth.

We have talented players throughout the team, but we perhaps more than most have relied on the adrenaline hormone to bring out the best. The training ground atmosphere after restart is always going to favour the more technical minded teams, who perhaps don't rely on our passion. Our motivation was borne out of proving them wrong, and we have done that now wherever we end up in the table.

For me this stuttering start to restart is going to be a positive thing in the long run. The dreaded 'second season syndrome' has come early and this has been a steep learning curve for CW. He may have focused on physical fitness during lockdown, but perhaps took adrenaline for granted? Our players thrive playing home and away in front of crowds. Arsenal, for me, saw the lads coming to terms with the reality of playing in a library and trying to generate that energy.

Motivational psychology has been key to United's success. As CW says we have to be playing at 100% to compete in this division, and the expectation of an immediate return to the Championship fired up every player. A build up over a long pre-season focused on that 'goal' of the first game at Bournemouth.

We have talented players throughout the team, but we perhaps more than most have relied on the adrenaline hormone to bring out the best. The training ground atmosphere after restart is always going to favour the more technical minded teams, who perhaps don't rely on our passion. Our motivation was borne out of proving them wrong, and we have done that now wherever we end up in the table.

For me this stuttering start to restart is going to be a positive thing in the long run. The dreaded 'second season syndrome' has come early and this has been a steep learning curve for CW. He may have focused on physical fitness during lockdown, but perhaps took adrenaline for granted? Our players thrive playing home and away in front of crowds. Arsenal, for me, saw the lads coming to terms with the reality of playing in a library and trying to generate that energy.

May not be a popular view but this could be a blessing in disguise for us as we deal with the problems now rather than at the start of a new season. It may also send a signal to the Board that they may have to find new ways to come up with additional revenue to improve the playing budget as we reassess the capability of the squad when injuries and loss of form kick in.

Our fans give us the level playing field.

No fans the technically better teams- Man Utd / Arsenal I'm afraid thrive- it's like a training session 9 times out of 10 they will win. Against Man Utd both us and Brighton simply looked poor cousins.

I think Chris needs to really motivate for the last matches to basically rev up/ play at high tempo/ get totally in their faces and be extremely aggressive.

Our fans give us the level playing field.

No fans the technically better teams- Man Utd / Arsenal I'm afraid thrive- it's like a training session 9 times out of 10 they will win. Against Man Utd both us and Brighton simply looked poor cousins.

I think Chris needs to really motivate for the last matches to basically rev up/ play at high tempo/ get totally in their faces and be extremely aggressive.

True, Wilder and Sharp need to the be the spark during matches to motivate the squad.

I'd love to know what the secret to Brentford's success is - how have they got the players so fired up post lockdown? And can our lot have some of it please?

Playing behind closed doors certainly does seem to favour the big teams and the biggest players. There is far less pressure from the crowd as well as far less moaning and jeers if something doesn't quite come off. On the other hand the smaller teams have lost the motivation of playing in front of rowdier fans who can sometimes help to bridge the gap in class. It's interesting.

But another big benefit for the top teams has simply been the opportunity to hit the reset button on their season. Arsenal, Spurs and Man U were all having very stop start seasons with several injuries to big players, but now they've had a chance to go away and come back fresh with a fully fit squad. And the 5 subs things has also helped them no end.

I guess it's a perfect storm as to why we came back so cold after the break, but we looked a lot fresher on Sunday and I don't think Spurs' 10 day break without a game is ideal when what you really want is to rebuild that match fitness as quickly as possible.

I'd love to know what the secret to Brentford's success is - how have they got the players so fired up post lockdown? And can our lot have some of it please?
Isn’t it because they’re used to playing in front of low crowds/ atmosphere, whereas at bramall Lane 30000 fans egging you on makes a difference.

Blackburn away last year. Their fans silent but our end drove Billy on. Thursday will be about motivation and psychology. We have the players.

In other words, this season is a right off.
Just the opposite. Thursday is about producing adrenaline without the crowd. We have the players but it's taken games to adjust. This is positive as second season syndrome needs to be attacked.

Their players generally end up becoming our players anyway!!

The playing in an empty stadium....hence players can’t use passion so much is only part of the reason for our downturn.

HOWEVER I think probably the most significant factor for our downturn is the fixture congestion and increase to 6 subs.

Wilder has spent the last 4 years playing the same starting 11 as much as possible.
He doesn’t swap and change the starting 11 much....this means all the players gel to play like a well oiled machine.

However this Summer we are playing matches every 3 days....sometime in intense Summer heat.
This means the SQUAD becomes more important than the 1st team......so it benefits the rich clubs who have 20 top class talented players.
We were able to beat these clubs because we had a better ”team”. If we are making 5 or 6 substitutions then no wonder the team doesn’t gel as well.

The problem for Wilder is his biggest strength of “team ethic” and “the system“ and under this new format he can‘t use his philosophy to the same effect.
In the current Summer format....big squads and individual talent is the key to success.

I'd be interested to know whether they've thought about bringing in a psychologist to deal specifically with that issue. Bassett used to do that in the days when Wilder was playing. I know that most teams have some sort of sports psychology on hand all the time these days, but I'm thinking of someone coming in to deal specifically with the 'no fans' issue.

Similar to the prem where the better players play without pressure etc. In that league without fans Brentford player for player are 1 of the best teams.

Similar to the prem where the better players play without pressure etc. In that league without fans Brentford player for player are 1 of the best teams.

Yes agreed and also explains Leeds doing so well and not doing their usual end of season crash.

Forgot to add, Wilder has emphasised through out his tenure that you are playing for United and the expectation of United fans is 100% effort. Fans will always be onboard with the team that gives that even if we loose.

If no fans are their is some of that psychology lost and the effort drops a bit?

Adrenaline returns. Blades win. Burnley away will be full of positive motivation. Well done Chris you are inspired.

Back
Top Bottom