Proportion of Match Day Seats vs Season Tickets

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
So sorry if this has already been discussed to death, I had a quick search on the forum and couldn't find what I needed.

On the assumption that no more season tickets are being released to fans which didn't have one last year, that surely means there will be more tickets for general sale next season? Although the vast majority of fans will renew there will inevitably be some people who can't.

What do you think is the reason behind this, is it because they would be too inundated with season ticket applications or they couldn't hike the prices up as much as they'd like so they'll get more revenue from match day sales instead. Or must they hold so many tickets for general sale that they aren't able to release a sufficient amount of season tickets for it to be worth doing the exercise?

Anyone in the know who could shed some light on this would be great!

Premier league rules. Need a certain amount of tickets set back for game by game sales

Proffffitttt

True, also I have a theory that maybe the club are concerned that many (fairly wealthy) out of town Blades who can only attend 50% of games will now decide to buy a season ticket. The club are probably concerned that there will be matches like we’ve seen at Stoke, Sunderland and West Ham. For example at Cardiff last season almost every game was an official 32K sell out but for the normal games there were 1000’s of empty seats visible on tv.

The club have confidence that there’s massive demand, so are now no longer desperate to fill the ground with season ticket holders.
They prefer to hold back as many tickets as possible because they know they will still sell
And more importantly it means a bigger cross section of casual fans will see our matches and there is more likely to be someone physically at the match.

Premier league rules. Need a certain amount of tickets set back for game by game sales

Does anyone know what the figure or percentage is
Because I would have thought that 3000 general sale tickets in the BLUT would be enough.

Does anyone know what the figure or percentage is
Because I would have thought that 3000 general sale tickets in the BLUT would be enough.

Not sure what it is in the updated rules, but it used to be a minimum of 5%.

Away tickets were 3,000 tickets or, if the capacity of the Home Club’s Stadium is less than 30,000, 10% of capacity and 10% of the home side's disabled capacity.

History shows that United - like many clubs outside the top few these days - find it very hard to shift match tickets especially when the games are accessible on telly are midweek matches and also now at Prem prices. If we have only sold 22-23,000 STs then the club are going to have to do some pretty hefty discounts or smart marketing to fill thousands of seats to watch the likes of Brighton and Bournemouth on a cold Jan night once the novelty has worn off.

Sensible compromise - if it's within the rules - would be to shift at least another 2,000 or so STs leaving plenty for match day and getting another 2k regular goers who might get hooked in for years to come.

Not sure what it is in the updated rules, but it used to be a minimum of 5%.

Away tickets were 3,000 tickets or, if the capacity of the Home Club’s Stadium is less than 30,000, 10% of capacity and 10% of the home side's disabled capacity.
The more you dig into the rules of the "best league in the world" the more you realise its a sanitised facade.

Away allocations of 10%.
5% is still 1600 tickets if we assume 32,000 capacity.

History shows that United - like many clubs outside the top few these days - find it very hard to shift match tickets especially when the games are accessible on telly are midweek matches and also now at Prem prices. If we have only sold 22-23,000 STs then the club are going to have to do some pretty hefty discounts or smart marketing to fill thousands of seats to watch the likes of Brighton and Bournemouth on a cold Jan night once the novelty has worn off.

Sensible compromise - if it's within the rules - would be to shift at least another 2,000 or so STs leaving plenty for match day and getting another 2k regular goers who might get hooked in for years to come.
Capacity is around 31,800
3k for away fans leaves it at 28,800
Minus 23.5k season tickets and more for corporate were looking at 3,800 on sale per game.

So sorry if this has already been discussed to death, I had a quick search on the forum and couldn't find what I needed.

On the assumption that no more season tickets are being released to fans which didn't have one last year, that surely means there will be more tickets for general sale next season?

Let me stop you right there. It doesn't.

It depends on how many season tickets we sold last year, versus this year. Last year, (I think), we sold about 17,000. So there were arguably 15,000 tickets per game for general sale. (Based on the ground capacity being "supposedly" 32k).

This year, reports suggest we've sold about 25,000 season tickets. So that means there are about 7,000 tickets per game for general sale.

I used the term "supposedly" above because although our capacity is officially 31,800 you have to knock a few thousand off that for all these empty seats that are cordoned off. I've noticed also, that the empty seats that are cordoned off seem to increase, season on season. I suspect they are breeding and multiplying. It's only a matter of time before empty seats take over the stadium and none of us will be able to get in and watch a game. It will be best for our safety though.

On the assumption that no more season tickets are being released to fans which didn't have one last year, that surely means there will be more tickets for general sale next season? Although the vast majority of fans will renew there will inevitably be some people who can't.

What do you think is the reason behind this, is it because they would be too inundated with season ticket applications or they couldn't hike the prices up as much as they'd like so they'll get more revenue from match day sales instead. Or must they hold so many tickets for general sale that they aren't able to release a sufficient amount of season tickets for it to be worth doing the exercise?

Anyone in the know who could shed some light on this would be great!

I don’t understand how there’s going to be more tickets for general sale? The club has already said we have a record amount of season ticket sales.

Let me stop you right there. It doesn't.

It depends on how many season tickets we sold last year, versus this year. Last year, (I think), we sold about 17,000. So there were arguably 15,000 tickets per game for general sale. (Based on the ground capacity being "supposedly" 32k).

This year, reports suggest we've sold about 25,000 season tickets. So that means there are about 7,000 tickets per game for general sale.

I used the term "supposedly" above because although our capacity is officially 31,800 you have to knock a few thousand off that for all these empty seats that are cordoned off. I've noticed also, that the empty seats that are cordoned off seem to increase, season on season. I suspect they are breeding and multiplying. It's only a matter of time before empty seats take over the stadium and none of us will be able to get in and watch a game. It will be best for our safety though.
You forgot to take off away fans off, meaning 4,000 ish day tickets available

Just when I thought Henderson threads were the latest craze, a curve ball!

Capacity is around 31,800
3k for away fans leaves it at 28,800
Minus 23.5k season tickets and more for corporate were looking at 3,800 on sale per game.
I sincerely hope that it’s not 3k for away fans because that would mean the post about sectioning off part of the BLUT to accommodate a couple of hundred away fans and unused seating could be true. Have you heard anything about this S4?

I sincerely hope that it’s not 3k for away fans because that would mean the post about sectioning off part of the BLUT to accommodate a couple of hundred away fans and unused seating could be true. Have you heard anything about this S4?

Do you think he might just be rounding it up?

I’m just rounding up, I’m 95% sure it’ll just be the 2,990 in the BLLT.
Would have got a definite answer the other day but Dave is on holiday

For fans like me who doesn't have a season ticket and can only get to a limited amount of home games its going to be like trying to get away tickets!
But at least with away tickets l have the option of 'home' seats! 🤔

I've already got Burnley and ManU sorted, if the dates are ok, and Newcastle should be sorted. 🤞

3000 approx away fans in the bottom tier and every single seat sold in the other areas
The Premier League doesn't do segregation, it's bad for business

An update today from SUISA Blades on Facebook.

For those asking about Season Tickets for next season:

Work is being done to improve access to both tiers of the Bramall Lane stand, including concourse alterations and turnstile changes. Because of the health and safety rules regarding the emptying of a ground in a certain amount of time, we’re going to have to build a walkway in the BLLT which will lose approximately 90 seats, meaning we will be 100 short of the requirement. We have applied for special dispensation from the PL but don’t know the decision yet, but it’s likely we’ll be okay. That’s why season tickets have been taken off sale just in case we aren’t, and alternative arrangements need to be put in place. Current ST sales are around 22k. Thanks Steve for the info”

Work is being done to improve access to both tiers of the Bramall Lane stand, including concourse alterations and turnstile changes. Because of the health and safety rules regarding the emptying of a ground in a certain amount of time, we’re going to have to build a walkway in the BLLT which will lose approximately 90 seats, meaning we will be 100 short of the requirement. We have applied for special dispensation from the PL but don’t know the decision yet, but it’s likely we’ll be okay. That’s why season tickets have been taken off sale just in case we aren’t, and alternative arrangements need to be put in place. Current ST sales are around 22k. Thanks Steve for the info”

That's an update from s4-blade from S24SU unless he's moonlighting as this "Steve" character 😄

Where has the 31,800 capacity come from..............SAG..............SYP.

The capacity is 32,609 seats,source Stadium Guide.

It will be reduced by approx 90 seats according to GrayBlade post above.

I posted the 22000 figure after reading it on the Handworth Blades FB Page.

I asked Foxy if he had an update but I think he’s busy at a thread police meeting about errant posts. It seems it’s like a tinderbox up at the station and lot could go up at any time.

Where has the 31,800 capacity come from..............SAG..............SYP.

The capacity is 32,609 seats,source Stadium Guide.

It will be reduced by approx 90 seats according to GrayBlade post above.
Just gradual reductions over time for various stadium “improvements”. This year we’re losing at least 250 in real terms when you take into account the amount converted to press seats as well as changes to the BLLT etc

Back
Top Bottom