Pretend we're rich. Would you risk -6 pts to buy a load of proven Prem quality players?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Pretend we're rich. Would you risk -6 pts to buy a load of proven Prem quality players?

• Yes

Votes: 145 63.9%
  • No

Votes: 82 36.1%

• Total voters
Another way of looking at it, is that the buying sees other value in owning a football club

The idea is that the £20m/£40m/£60m a year is effectively marketing budget. An opportunity to invite fans of the big premier League teams along and have a chat. " Let's meet at my football club"

Would be great to have an owner like that
It would be great, yes. I think there are only two choices to survive long term in the prem 1. Huge debts. Or 2. An owner who's happy to sink the money in for fun / marketing / show off value.
Hopefully we can find the second type.

You do realise that would make it pretty much impossible for any promoted club to offer a remotely realistic contract to a new player?
At the moment yes but over a period of time it might just stop change the mentality of the clubs who think it's ok to cheat financially.

If in this pretend world Elon Musk buys us and wants to compete for the Champions League, money no object and quickly buys Hasland, Mbappe, De Brunye, Grealish, Van Dijk and more… we romp the premier league by 15 points BUT are deducted 6 points because we have broke FFP rules… big deal, still champs lol

We are all ecstatic, dreams come true and all that.

Then we have you and some others who frawn upon this winning the league malarkey because we have spent more than we have earned.. proper disgusted you are and clamour for us to sell them all and buy Chupa Akpom who is back in the Championship and has scored 16 in 17 games, get him signed instead ffs for 9.5 million and show integrity

Lying bastards, nothing but lying bastards 😂😂😂
Winning a competition through cheating really doesn’t feel like it’s been earned though does it?

Yes we’d all love to see blades win something, but for me it’d feel like a pretty hollow victory if we’d just bought our way to a win.

Call me a liar if you want, but I’ll tell you right now I’d 100% take being in the championship, talking about whether we can sign the great Chuba ‘Pele’ Akpom than being top of the premier league because we’ve signed Haaland for a billion quid.

Winning a competition through cheating really doesn’t feel like it’s been earned though does it?

Yes we’d all love to see blades win something, but for me it’d feel like a pretty hollow victory if we’d just bought our way to a win.

Call me a liar if you want, but I’ll tell you right now I’d 100% take being in the championship, talking about whether we can sign the great Chuba ‘Pele’ Akpom than being top of the premier league because we’ve signed Haaland for a billion quid.

The only issue I have with this is that it's only "cheating" because a silly rule has been invented. It's not like "hand of god" cheating.

Not sure if this is the correct thread, but these two appeared in The Times this morning…

There’s this:

94CC0D6F-9D54-4152-A292-13BD8D76A965.png

And there’s this:

3FDC910A-2110-4333-A0BB-7AE0C52EDF09.png

I’m sure there’ll be some varied opinions.

At 6 points I was on the fence. 4 points and it's a no brainer. If your owner isn't breaking ffp (or cant afford to) , get a new owner ASAP.

Just annoying we’ve been so ill-prepared.

It’s not now unreasonable to assume that if they docked Forest 6 and docked Everton another 6, then they’d have little scope to appeal.

That would put Everton back onto 19 and Forest down to 18.

It would be a real boost for Luton.

It’s why it’s annoying we couldn’t hold two leads against Palace to at least take a point, put away at least one, if not both of the 1v1s against Wolves and have avoided the absolute clusterfuck that was Luton at home.

It’s not unreasonable to think we should have been 5 better off with just an ounce of professionalism and then we could really put the shits up the Scabs.

But that all comes back to simply not being good enough, doesn’t it? Players who are not good enough do the wrong things in key moments.
It’s so sad that we’ve effectively put up the white flag so fucking early in the season. We knew the Prem would throw a lifeline to the bottom clubs at some point, by deducting points. But we simply didn’t have the wit or the wherewithal to be ready for the fight…so so disappointing.

So what your saying is is it worth spending say £200 million more than our income?

If we stay up, then yes, a 6 points penalty would be well worth it. Our fans will think the owner was the best ever.
However if we spend £200 million and are still relegated then what a disastrous stupid gamble, our fans would say we have a madman of an owner.

Many would be saying why didn't we just accept relegation and spend the £200 million on the training facilities instead, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

The only issue I have with this is that it's only "cheating" because a silly rule has been invented. It's not like "hand of god" cheating.

It's not a silly rule is it?

Imagine getting rid of that rule......it could turn into the Wild West with 20 or 30 billionaires all battling it out based on ego.
For example without FFP Newcastle could buy the 10 best players in world football and easily win the Champions league.

The owners of Barnsley are some of the richest in the league, imagine them offering £1 million a week to players until eventually they were competing
in the Champions league, then some billionaire with a sense of humour might take over Fleetwood Town so they end up competing in Europe.

The average salary could become £500K in the Premier league with the only deciding factor regards success being how rich your owner was.
So traditional big clubs with big support could be in league 1, where as Forest Green Rovers are being bank rolled and a regular in the PL.

Imagine getting rid of that rule......it could turn into the Wild West with 20 or 30 billionaires all battling it out based on ego.
Unlike the current system where basically only 4 clubs have even a chance of winning silverware? At least it would promote competition.

To be clear, I don`t like either situation - but unless you implement something like a Wage Cap - I don`t see how you put the genie back in teh bottle that is the millions generated by the UCL/PL skewing competition

Unlike the current system where basically only 4 clubs have even a chance of winning silverware? At least it would promote competition.

To be clear, I don`t like either situation - but unless you implement something like a Wage Cap - I don`t see how you put the genie back in teh bottle that is the millions generated by the UCL/PL skewing competition

I was going to post something similar yesterday but didn't get the time. Take a look at the teams that are getting in trouble for FFP.. with the exception of possibly Man City, it's the mid size clubs that are falling foul of ffp. FFP is a protection racket for the big 5/6.

Back
Top Bottom