Pretend we're rich. Would you risk -6 pts to buy a load of proven Prem quality players?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Pretend we're rich. Would you risk -6 pts to buy a load of proven Prem quality players?

• Yes

Votes: 145 63.9%
  • No

Votes: 82 36.1%

• Total voters
I'll re-join this thread if we ever find this elusive billionaire, who is prepared to loose hundreds of millions for our entertainment.

In the mean time good luck with the debate.

Way I see it is that if you’re willing to break the rules to buy success, you’re part of the problem. I don’t want to be part of the problem.

I’d like us to have a rich owner who can afford to get us and keep us in the top flight, but I don’t want that owner to break the rules in order to do so.

The last two seasons Everton have survived by 2 and 4 points respectively.

They might be a lot better (so far) this year*, and therefore 10 points isn't as risky, but if you apply the punishment to the years in which they benefitted, they should have been relegated. Leeds and Leicester** have an arguable case for compensation IMO.

* partly of course because they are building on a foundation that they wouldn`t have if they had complied with FFP

**No I don`t have a huge amount of sympathy for Leicester given what they did in 2003, nor Leeds, because its Leeds - but I can`t pick and choose who to argue should get compo in my thinking here
Plenty of reasons for why the gap is bigger, mainly the number of subs and depths of squad. If you’re an established PL side you have to really fuck it up to not finish outside the relegation zone.

The last two seasons Everton have survived by 2 and 4 points respectively.

They might be a lot better (so far) this year*, and therefore 10 points isn't as risky, but if you apply the punishment to the years in which they benefitted, they should have been relegated. Leeds and Leicester** have an arguable case for compensation IMO.

* partly of course because they are building on a foundation that they wouldn`t have if they had complied with FFP

**No I don`t have a huge amount of sympathy for Leicester given what they did in 2003, nor Leeds, because its Leeds - but I can`t pick and choose who to argue should get compo in my thinking here
Is Compo an option?

I just don't think I'd really care if we won a trophy because we bought a load of randoms. That's not better than winning L1 or the 18/19 promotion for me
It might not feel better than winning L1 but no one will give a shit if it’s in the trophy cabinet.

I know we’re Blades and we like to be the plucky underdog but if you seriously don’t want the club to buy good players and win the PL then what’s the point really?!

If we could do it organically then great, but it’s not really possible. Even Leicester spent money and had a top manager when they won it.

If you are lucky enough to finish in the top half of the premier league a ten-point deduction won't matter.

It might not feel better than winning L1 but no one will give a shit if it’s in the trophy cabinet.

I know we’re Blades and we like to be the plucky underdog but if you seriously don’t want the club to buy good players and win the PL then what’s the point really?!

If we could do it organically then great, but it’s not really possible. Even Leicester spent money and had a top manager when they won it.
I couldn't care any less about what's in the trophy cabinet if I tried though. I don't go to the games to be able to say "look how many competitions we won"

I couldn't care any less about what's in the trophy cabinet if I tried though. I don't go to the games to be able to say "look how many competitions we won"
No one does, or we wouldn’t support the Blades.

It still doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t like us to win something though.

I agree with Silent Blade however the premier league is like that now. Most teams in the top 12 could not give monkeys who get relegated.

Absolutely yes.

But look at Portsmouth I hear people say. We've been just as shit as them without the FA cup win and European football.

If we are smart we could do a Leicester and just dump the debt on hard pushed local businesses twice and just go again.

Bring on the financially mad party I say.
Didn’t Leicester dumping a load of debt and not being punished fucked United at the time as a penalty would have seen us promoted

Tell you what, we'll have 2 seasons before they get thier ducks in a row, then we tell the players on relegation after the points deduction were not cutting the money or letting them get out of contract..

We come straight back up....

This is what Everton and Forest will do in my opinion.

Reset thier ffp figures and storm the championship..

Edit : then buy more top players..

There are many creditable owners that spend/have spent money whilst in the process of purchasing/owning a FC (that have the financial means to do so). I am sure that these people/company's were aware of just what they were getting into.

But surely anyone buying a club knows it will cost them a shitload of cash to run? This isn’t a new development - it’s been the case for decades. There is no return, there never had been.
That's what I'm saying. It isn't an investment for an investor.
We are looking for somebody who will spend a lot to buy it, then spend a fair amount on an ongoing basis. A benefactor, not an investor.

In fact if somebody does turn up who wants to make a profit, we need to avoid them like the plague. Because generally that just means loading the club with debts.

We could just accept we will forever be a champ team with the odd season with the big boys.

in reality, the coverage, recognition and success of football nowadays is directly linked to the Premier league (the old first division)
Do coverage or recognition count for much?
Sox NJ, I don't understand the question.
I don’t disagree with you at all, but I’m really not bothered about what coverage & recognition we get. But some success would be nice, however we define that.

The problem with certain clubs like ours and a few more is that we would spend a fortune and probably finish out of Europe places where the real money is then we‘d fall down the league because we’d need to spend more money to get better and then the wages go up etc and wouldn’t have the ongoing resources, we’d end up like Bolton, Wigan, Pigs, Leeds where we’d have decades of living from and to mouth.

Do coverage or recognition count for much?

I don’t disagree with you at all, but I’m really not bothered about what coverage & recognition we get. But some success would be nice, however we define that.
Sorry mate, I should've re-read my own statement to have undeerstood what you were asking!
Put it down to old age and beer!!
I guess what success we have enjoyed might not be classed as success by others. That's probably why (although it is funny) we ironically sing stuff like 'Champions of league one, you'll never sing that'
Throughout my many years of watching United, I always longed to enjoy the success of a Wembley final or European football, but it seems further away than ever now. Although in reality, and with the gift of a more mature version of hindsight, we were probably just as far from it back then as we are now.
Oh well, we keep on believing, keep on hoping that one day, our (slightly wealthier) prince will come.

Sorry mate, I should've re-read my own statement to have undeerstood what you were asking!
Put it down to old age and beer!!
I guess what success we have enjoyed might not be classed as success by others. That's probably why (although it is funny) we ironically sing stuff like 'Champions of league one, you'll never sing that'
Throughout my many years of watching United, I always longed to enjoy the success of a Wembley final or European football, but it seems further away than ever now. Although in reality, and with the gift of a more mature version of hindsight, we were probably just as far from it back then as we are now.
Oh well, we keep on believing, keep on hoping that one day, our (slightly wealthier) prince will come.
I feel really cheated by the era we have lived through. Not so much by the club, but by what football has become.

74/75 was the first season I was allowed to go to away matches with my mates (I was 13 at the beginning of that season, not sure it would happen for kids these days) and of course what a season it was. With just a bit more luck we could have won the league. The beginning of the following season saw huge anticipation as the Lane became a 4 sided ground for the first time, and our first £100,000 signing, Chris Guthrie, was the missing link who was going to make the difference and fire us to our first championship title of the century………😂😂😂

But the point was, we COULD realistically dream that it might just be our year and that the title could be ours, and I used to love that feeling on the first day of the season. It’s never coming back, is it. We won’t be feeling that again.

I think the only way to stop the cheating would be to relegate reduced parachute payments ( or maybe none at all ). For persistent breaking of the rules maybe an instant relegation y more than one division. I know it will not happen because it would be unfair " on their fans! £

I think the only way to stop the cheating would be to relegate reduced parachute payments ( or maybe none at all ). For persistent breaking of the rules maybe an instant relegation y more than one division. I know it will not happen because it would be unfair " on their fans! £

You do realise that would make it pretty much impossible for any promoted club to offer a remotely realistic contract to a new player?

That's what I'm saying. It isn't an investment for an investor.
We are looking for somebody who will spend a lot to buy it, then spend a fair amount on an ongoing basis. A benefactor, not an investor.

In fact if somebody does turn up who wants to make a profit, we need to avoid them like the plague. Because generally that just means loading the club with debts.
Another way of looking at it, is that the buying sees other value in owning a football club

The idea is that the £20m/£40m/£60m a year is effectively marketing budget. An opportunity to invite fans of the big premier League teams along and have a chat. " Let's meet at my football club"

Would be great to have an owner like that

Back
Top Bottom