Praise for Brooks

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Luke1993

Reaction score
Just read on sky sports, Ian rush, he was mainly talking about Ben Woodburn and ethan ampadu, but he goes on to say that those 2 and Brooks were by far the 3 best players in Wales training and thinks only injury will stop them from becoming world class players. I would do a link or something but I don't know how to do that. I'm sure someone more tech savvy will help.

Just read on sky sports, Ian rush, he was mainly talking about Ben Woodburn and ethan ampadu, but he goes on to say that those 2 and Brooks were by far the 3 best players in Wales training and thinks only injury will stop them from becoming world class players. I would do a link or something but I don't know how to do that. I'm sure someone more tech savvy will help.

Not one of the three is Welsh born! Just saying! Its annoying as an England fan that such talented players chose Wales over England. I think one of the main reasons is they want to play international football now and know if they commit to Wales they are likely to be international footballers with numerous caps, maybe 50 plus, whereas with England you have to wait and may not be a regular. I also think England's lack of international success means that the Welsh coaches and management can say to a prospective player, its not as if England have done much for 20 years now is it! And sadly they're right! The FA have a lot to answer for!

Not one of the three is Welsh born! Just saying! Its annoying as an England fan that such talented players chose Wales over England. I think one of the main reasons is they want to play international football now and know if they commit to Wales they are likely to be international footballers with numerous caps, maybe 50 plus, whereas with England you have to wait and may not be a regular. I also think England's lack of international success means that the Welsh coaches and management can say to a prospective player, its not as if England have done much for 20 years now is it! And sadly they're right! The FA have a lot to answer for!

Nailed it.

Why would you want to play for that box of frogs institution (not saying it's run by the French btw - that would be almost as insane as the real thing)

Nailed it.

Why would you want to play for that box of frogs institution (not saying it's run by the French btw - that would be almost as insane as the real thing)
What so great about the FAW? Let's face it, they had fuck all to do between 1958 and last year.

I was born in England and identify as English so if I was picked for England I'd play for England. For all the faults with the FA I'd still be putting on the shirt of my country.

If Brooks identifies as Welsh, fair enough, he should play for Wales but the truth is, without Bale they're shite.

Whilst I agree historically, it seems that Southgate is trying to blow this out of the water.

The recent callups of Joe Gomes, Loftus-Cheek and Winks highlights this. Although I do think that the former two are completely undeserved.

Loftus Cheek is gonna be one of the best players around in the next couple of years. He needs experience, he's about 23 now and has been held back massively by Chelsea. A dream signing if we went up.

Worth reading that link just to see this.

skysports-chelsea-ampadu-everton_4138434.jpg

I’m English born & bred, but in terms of national identity my Welsh heritage means far more to me, and that’s where I feel the pride & passion. What you get from your parents & grandparents counts for a lot.

I might choose to play for Wales given split parentage because it’s a team without the baggage and negativity of England. A free swing at international football.

We’ve been nothing short of disgraceful since 2002. Joyless fear-ridden humiliation every two years, with all the attendant press coverage. Not a big attraction...

What so great about the FAW? Let's face it, they had fuck all to do between 1958 and last year.

I was born in England and identify as English so if I was picked for England I'd play for England. For all the faults with the FA I'd still be putting on the shirt of my country.

If Brooks identifies as Welsh, fair enough, he should play for Wales but the truth is, without Bale they're shite.
And watching England has been the exciting experience that we all crave, eh?

With all the snobbery and politics that goes with it.

Brooks will get chances to play international football based on ability and not who he plays for (or rather, who he doesn't play for).

That' my beef. Not dissing my Country.

(Yorkshire)

Nailed it.

That would be the FA who have pumped millions into St George’s and who’s junior teams are delivering in major tournaments and technically matching the best in the world.
If the players now take responsibility for their careers the future looks very bright indeed.

That would be the FA who have pumped millions into St George’s and who’s junior teams are delivering in major tournaments and technically matching the best in the world.
If the players now take responsibility for their careers the future looks very bright indeed.

But they don't get to play in the premier league as they are stock piled by those clubs buying their stairway. They play U20 and U23 and their development stalls.

They don't even want to go out on loan (as their agents prevent this).

Also, I refer me learned gentleman to the response I provided earlier, namely

With all the snobbery and politics that goes with it?

[With the FWA] Brooks will get chances to play international football based on ability and not who he plays for (or rather, who he doesn't play for).

That' my beef. Not dissing my Country.

(Yorkshire)

That would be the same FA that wasted hundreds of millions on Wembley and continue to prostitute themselves to grab as much revenue to pay for the shot hole as they can.

England played better on the road and enfranchised more people in doing so. Now it's just a sham and panders to the London area only. It's stilted, boring, unrepresentative and dying on it's arse.

The future looks the same as it is now.
These lads will not play in the Prem and will not get picked if they don't play for a big 6.

All those millions invested in one elite showcase?

If they wanted to help grass roots then they would have a programme of investing in facilities and better quality pitches all down the pyramid for youngsters to play on as councils neglect them to cut costs.

These lads will not play in the Prem and will not get picked if they don't play for a big 6.

If they wanted to help grass roots then they would have a programme of investing in facilities and better quality pitches all down the pyramid for youngsters to play on as councils neglect them to cut costs.
I strongly disagree, St George’s was the first progressive act the FA had made in years and we’re starting the see the results.
What happens with the young players is now upto them, they need take responsibility for their own careers. It also seems like the mentality might be getting through, and the more players that leave the likes of City and Chelsea in search of playing time can only help everyone, including those two clubs and even their agents.

I strongly disagree, St George’s was the first progressive act the FA had made in years and we’re starting the see the results.
What happens with the young players is now upto them, they need take responsibility for their own careers. It also seems like the mentality might be getting through, and the more players that leave the likes of City and Chelsea in search of playing time can only help everyone, including those two clubs and even their agents.
I can see what you’re saying and I hope you’re right, just for the game if nothing else.

There’s way too many basic foreigners who have fucked our game up but I don’t blame them, I blame the FA for letting it get like this many years ago.

Hope you're right

Means nothing. England have done well in youth tournaments before.

A tiny handful of those players will ever become first team prem regulars let alone for England.

Youth football is a million miles from adult first team. Anybody who has watched it can tell you that.

Means nothing. England have done well in youth tournaments before.

A tiny handful of those players will ever become first team prem regulars let alone for England.

Youth football is a million miles from adult first team. Anybody who has watched it can tell you that.
When did England last have youth teams which consistently performed well across age groups?

I totally accept that the PL clubs will now dictate if these kids step up, but I'm encouraged by that players are pushing for moves and loans to PL team in order to progress.
Chelsea are actually setting an interesting test case. Tammy Abraham and Loftus-Cheek weren't happy to sit on the bench and seem to be doing it about right in attempting to establish a reputation elsewhere.
There are others following behind them in the Championship and lower leagues. In front of them Chalobah had enough and decided to be brave, and that decision will certainly pay off in terms of game time, Solanke has tried the same thing and is playing more. Personally I hope they both go on to have wonderful careers and become top players, as it will show those coming behind there is an alternative to sitting tight.
Sancho at Dortmund will be an good test case at City, as another very promising youngster who saw his way to the first team blocked and decided to do something about it.

The fact that this is happening is a huge positive and difference to what's come before, and eventually it will even affect us as promising youngsters like Brooks will see staying with us as being a more likely route to success than jumping ship back to a top side as soon as he as has a few break out performances. So long as we're progressing and he's playing why wouldn't any under 23 player stay?

I can see what you’re saying and I hope you’re right, just for the game if nothing else.

There’s way too many basic foreigners who have fucked our game up but I don’t blame them, I blame the FA for letting it get like this many years ago.
How did the FA let it get like this? The football league was run by the Football League, now it's run by the Premier League and the (English) Football League. The FA were never really in a position to stop it, as far as I'm aware.

I'm not convinced by the 'foreigners ruining our game' argument. We were pretty piss poor in the seventies and there were few foreigners in those days. If the FA is to blame for anything it's for not doing what it's done with the St George's Centre a long time ago. While other countries were investing in grass roots, making sure there were pitches to play on and lots of qualified coaches to teach young kids properly, the FA didn't and we've been playing catch up since.

If there is a detrimental effect from foreigners in the game it's probably more to do with foreign owners who don't give a shit about England or developing English players, backed up by the modern fan who doesn't give a shit about England, hates the international break because it interferes with club football and wouldn't put up with two years without success whilst a manager develops young players.

How did the FA let it get like this? The football league was run by the Football League, now it's run by the Premier League and the (English) Football League. The FA were never really in a position to stop it, as far as I'm aware.

I'm not convinced by the 'foreigners ruining our game' argument. We were pretty piss poor in the seventies and there were few foreigners in those days. If the FA is to blame for anything it's for not doing what it's done with the St George's Centre a long time ago. While other countries were investing in grass roots, making sure there were pitches to play on and lots of qualified coaches to teach young kids properly, the FA didn't and we've been playing catch up since.

If there is a detrimental effect from foreigners in the game it's probably more to do with foreign owners who don't give a shit about England or developing English players, backed up by the modern fan who doesn't give a shit about England, hates the international break because it interferes with club football and wouldn't put up with two years without success whilst a manager develops young players.
Can’t argue with that and my point about foreigners was more or less exactly what you said. I don’t want no foreigners at all, they just need limiting, you have basic foreigners on shitloads of money when we could develop our own basic players on either the same or less money than most of them.

Can’t argue with that and my point about foreigners was more or less exactly what you said. I don’t want no foreigners at all, they just need limiting, you have basic foreigners on shitloads of money when we could develop our own basic players on either the same or less money than most of them.

Some of the foreign signings are fucking dross and you get the feeling that they are being signed simply for faddish reasons. For me it boils down to poor coaching in this country. Loads of players drop out or disappear from the scene prematurely but just look at what one man has done in getting players reaching their potential in a very short period of time - Coutts, Clarke, Duffy, Wright anyone? And they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

There's a brilliant set up at Meadowhead, St. Georges, perfect playing surface (for artificial) 2 full size pitches which split down to smaller pitches, movable goals. Busy every night. All for grassroots football. There's another somewhere round Chapeltown

Loftus Cheek is gonna be one of the best players around in the next couple of years. He needs experience, he's about 23 now and has been held back massively by Chelsea. A dream signing if we went up.

He was playing for the U19s a few years ago against Italy and he was a class act. Stood out head and shoulders above everyone else at that level.

However, like you allude to, Chelsea have held him back. These players need game time, competitive game time and these clubs stockpiling their academies are contributing to the demise of the national team.

Solanke has tried the same thing and is playing more.

Solanke left Chelsea because they wouldn't bow down to his 50k p/w wage demands. Had nothing to do with him not playing first team football.

He played a few friendlies for liverpool and looked good - hasn't been seen since the season started.

Solanke left Chelsea because they wouldn't bow down to his 50k p/w wage demands. Had nothing to do with him not playing first team football.

He played a few friendlies for liverpool and looked good - hasn't been seen since the season started.
I can't blame him in demanding 50K per week if he was going to sit on a bench, or be loaned out some where outside of his control. I have no issue with that.
He's moved for a lot less money in order to play, and that's the important aspect and it should be commended.

Back
Top Bottom