Praise for Brooks

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Some of the foreign signings are fucking dross and you get the feeling that they are being signed simply for faddish reasons. For me it boils down to poor coaching in this country. Loads of players drop out or disappear from the scene prematurely but just look at what one man has done in getting players reaching their potential in a very short period of time - Coutts, Clarke, Duffy, Wright anyone? And they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks.
If English players were priced more sensibly by clubs would there still be the rush to bring in untried and tested average foreigners?

If English players were priced more sensibly by clubs would there still be the rush to bring in untried and tested average foreigners?

Absolutely spot on.

The prices for english players is fekkin ridiculous and it only seems to get worse.
Sterling 50m, pickford 30m, Stones 50m, Walker 50m, Ox C - 40m

However, gone are the days where you could pick up the likes of Borbokis for 500k.... Social Media and huge scouting networks means these players are now snapped up to the big acadamies from the ages of 2 and a half.

That may or not be the case but I can name you three English players who reached international standards and cost buttons: Jagielka, Maguire and Walker (plus another one to be if the report is correct). Anyway, my post was directed at poor coaching, not inflated transfer fees for English players as being a contributory factor to the poor state of English football.

Some good points about Wales and England. However, on one hand we are praising Wales for giving the young players a chance brooks, Woodburn etc. yet on the other we are saying Loftus cheek etc shouldn't be in the England squad because they aren't/haven't really played much. Woodburn has played more for Wales than Liverpool and we're praising Wales on the whole for giving the kids the chance.

Why are they priced so high though? I can see only two reasons;
Perceived to be less of a gamble, able to integrate easily and know what it's like to play in Stoke on a cold, wet Tuesday night. That's why foreign players tend to be worth more once they've become established in England.

Quotas. The requirement to have so many home grown players in your squad. Is this helping English players or hindering them?

Why are they priced so high though? I can see only two reasons;
Perceived to be less of a gamble, able to integrate easily and know what it's like to play in Stoke on a cold, wet Tuesday night. That's why foreign players tend to be worth more once they've become established in England.

Quotas. The requirement to have so many home grown players in your squad. Is this helping English players or hindering them?
I think there is a potential commercial benefit too. An England international marketed right can be quite a nice little earner, particularly England Captain, leading goalscorer, or exciting talent.

Last edited:
There's a brilliant set up at Meadowhead, St. Georges, perfect playing surface (for artificial) 2 full size pitches which split down to smaller pitches, movable goals. Busy every night. All for grassroots football. There's another somewhere round Chapeltown

There's one at Meadowhead, Chapeltown and Mosborough. The FA have plans to roll these out across the country. Sheffield was the first city to have them built.

Took my grandson to his football training the other week at Mosborough. Very busy. They are continually in use. As one team finishes it's training another one starts.

Great facility. Should help with the backlog of postponed matches in junior leagues that accumulate during the winter months.

The future looks the same as it is now.
These lads will not play in the Prem and will not get picked if they don't play for a big 6.

All those millions invested in one elite showcase?

If they wanted to help grass roots then they would have a programme of investing in facilities and better quality pitches all down the pyramid for youngsters to play on as councils neglect them to cut costs.

I think there’s a myth that players don’t get picked if they don’t play for the big 6.

The current squad includes:

Pickford (Everton)

Butland (Stoke)

Hart (West Ham)

Maguire (Leicester)

Bertrand (Southampton)

Keane (Everton)

Cork (Burnley)

Livermore (West Brom)

Vardy (Leicester)

Who do not play for the big 6 and Abraham and Loftus Cheek who, whilst contracted to Chelsea are playing their football elsewhere. There have also been callups in the fairly recent past for the likes of Chalobah (Watford), Gibson (Middlesborough), Forster (Southampton) etc.

Playing champions league football improves your chances as you get to pit yourself against top European teams. It’s also reasonable to assume that usually, the best players will gravitate towards the best teams so there’ll be a large percentage from the big 6 but it is entirely possible to play for England without playing for one of the big 6.

I’m English born & bred, but in terms of national identity my Welsh heritage means far more to me, and that’s where I feel the pride & passion. What you get from your parents & grandparents counts for a lot.

I think that's probably how Brooks feels too. I think you're spot on there. I'm so proud of my Dad's side from Chile but saying that if I was fortunate to be a footballer and could have chosen Chile or England it would have been English because I'm still English and brought up here.

I think there’s a myth that players don’t get picked if they don’t play for the big 6.

The current squad includes:

Pickford (Everton)

Butland (Stoke)

Hart (West Ham)

Maguire (Leicester)

Bertrand (Southampton)

Keane (Everton)

Cork (Burnley)

Livermore (West Brom)

Vardy (Leicester)

Who do not play for the big 6 and Abraham and Loftus Cheek who, whilst contracted to Chelsea are playing their football elsewhere. There have also been callups in the fairly recent past for the likes of Chalobah (Watford), Gibson (Middlesborough), Forster (Southampton) etc.

Playing champions league football improves your chances as you get to pit yourself against top European teams. It’s also reasonable to assume that usually, the best players will gravitate towards the best teams so there’ll be a large percentage from the big 6 but it is entirely possible to play for England without playing for one of the big 6.
Well played
But I count Everton as one of the "inner circle

Sham too with the Brooking factor

Back
Top Bottom