Possible Summer Targets

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Who are the striker targets then?

I'll say they're from this list.

Hogan
Jerome
Walters
Wickham
Gregory
Fletcher

An inspiring bunch.

2 ACL injury victims
3 over 30s
1 inconsistent kid

Hogan
Jerome
Walters
Wickham
Gregory
Fletcher

An inspiring bunch.

2 ACL injury victims
3 over 30s
1 inconsistent kid

ACL or not, I'd take Wickham in a heartbeat.

Hogan
Jerome
Walters
Wickham
Gregory
Fletcher

An inspiring bunch.

2 ACL injury victims
3 over 30s
1 inconsistent kid

Wilder has categorically said Gregory is not a target.

One of the long forgotten originals of this thread, Sammy Ameobi, showed what great ability he has today.

I think it took us until the second half to manage to dispossess him. The way he rides challenges and comes away with the ball is ridiculous. He has very quick feet and that in addition to his size and agility makes him very hard to tackle.

Shame he has to to it all on his own - getting the ball to him was pretty much their only plan.

I just wonder what he could do in a team who have regular good possession in the final third, without two men on him all the time.

One of the long forgotten originals of this thread, Sammy Ameobi, showed what great ability he has today.

I think it took us until the second half to manage to dispossess him. The way he rides challenges and comes away with the ball is ridiculous. He has very quick feet and that in addition to his size and agility makes him very hard to tackle.

Shame he has to to it all on his own - getting the ball to him was pretty much their only plan.

I just wonder what he could do in a team who have regular good possession in the final third, without two men on him all the time.

Two men on him? Enda had him in his pocket all game. He hugged the touchline to avoid ever having 2 men on him (smart play but contrary to your post). He never got round Stevens thus making it an easy night for JoC.

He whipped in 2 good crosses to be fair to him , our defenders headed both. He’s only just broke back into the Bolton side.

Ends controlled him defensively and had his best attacking game for us. So shows Ameobi doesn’t track well either.

Any top team in League one should buy him IMO.

Wilder has categorically said Gregory is not a target.

I would still love Gregory here. I know we want this excellent top striker probably cost us 30k a week etc.

But this side built on pashun amongst many other traits and I do feel his work rate, overall play and finishing would be a great addition to our side.

We aren’t afraid to make the unfashionable signings but Gregory showed at Millwall last season he can compete in this division.

Although us as fans seemingly think Clarke and Sharp combo it can be better(me included). To be honest they are on fire again.

I think he's a very average footballer at this level who isn't a player a team that plays with regular good possession would consider.

He's very tall and quick, which sometimes results in him retaining the ball in unlikely situations. But he's not that good at the other football stuff in my opinion.

A very Bolton player.

I think he's a very average footballer at this level who isn't a player a team that plays with regular good possession would consider.

He's very tall and quick, which sometimes results in him retaining the ball in unlikely situations. But he's not that good at the other football stuff in my opinion.

A very Bolton player.

MASSIVE
FUCKING
SHOULDERS

A very Bolton player.

Refer to your second paragraph, makes Oztumer the most unbolton player ever and the strangest signing for many years, he just doesn’t fit for them.

Two men on him? Enda had him in his pocket all game. He hugged the touchline to avoid ever having 2 men on him (smart play but contrary to your post). He never got round Stevens thus making it an easy night for JoC.

He whipped in 2 good crosses to be fair to him , our defenders headed both. He’s only just broke back into the Bolton side.

Ends controlled him defensively and had his best attacking game for us. So shows Ameobi doesn’t track well either.

Any top team in League one should buy him IMO.

In the first half we got two men around him whenever possible, and still didn't dispossess him. It stopped him getting in as many crosses but he was still very impressive, and their only threat.

He was less impressive in the second half and spent more time in central areas.

Stevens had a good game but to say he single handedly took care of Ameobi is really pushing it. The point about tracking back is probably valid though, he had no excuse for being nowhere near Stevens for the 3rd goal.

He's not just broke back into their side, he was injured.

A very Bolton player.

His technical ability is certainly more of a factor in his game than pace. People seem strangely blind to it.

In a team having more of the ball with more support around him I think his numbers would improve considerably. I think one thing he'd certainly be for anyone in this league is a good impact sub.

On the first half performance I’d have him in an instant was big strong and hard to dispossess and put in some decent crosses. Is he a wide player though?

Second half - meh. Seemed to fade and was reduced to thirty yard shots that were struggling to stay in the stadium.

Understand he’s been injured though so maybe a full ninety was too much at this stage - that and they spent most of the game chasing fluorescent shadows of course.

No way he'd ever work at a club like Sheffield United. There's a reason he's at a club like Bolton despite having some talent

There's obviously something holding him back, because if there was much interest in him he wouldn't have been hard to sign, this summer or last. Mentality, stamina and work rate being the most likely things IMO. With his natural gifts he should be in the PL.

In the first half we got two men around him whenever possible, and still didn't dispossess him. It stopped him getting in as many crosses but he was still very impressive, and their only threat.

He was less impressive in the second half and spent more time in central areas.

Stevens had a good game but to say he single handedly took care of Ameobi is really pushing it. The point about tracking back is probably valid though, he had no excuse for being nowhere near Stevens for the 3rd goal.

Valid points raised. Still disagree with the two men on him as he hugged the touchline never came inside. He never got round Stevens to get to JoC and I wouldn’t say Fleck was exactly covering Stevens as he was mainly up the pitch dictating things.

Agree that (from where we were sitting), Enda dealt with him quite well. Might have been a different story if Ameobi was tasked with charging straight at goal down the middle of the park. Big, strng lad.

Second half he sulked around like a child and basically threw a bit of a strop - wouldn’t touch him with a ten foot barge pole.

Wouldn't mind taking Paul Smyth from QPR on a loan to buy to supplement our attack and add some youth. Nippy little fucker, looked a threat when he came on against us at BL. Maybe a bit like a young non crippled Jamie Ward.

Hogan
Jerome
Walters
Wickham
Gregory
Fletcher

An inspiring bunch.

2 ACL injury victims
3 over 30s
1 inconsistent kid
Jerome off to Greece by the looks of it.
Walters off to Ipswich.
Gregory dismissed by the manager.
Wickham never linked.

It looks like Hogan, Fletcher or nobody at this point.

About that Jamie Ward training with us that we scoffed at...

:D

Well, we've reached crunch time and this thread is nearing its end.

Shockingly, we haven't secured our main striker targets and it looks like we'll have to feed on the scraps.

I'll rate some of those scraps here. I wonder which one we'll end up with?

Scraping the striker barrel

Cameron Jerome - About 5th choice at a club we're aiming to finish above this season, and now 31 years old which would maintain our average striker age nicely. Barrel scraping rating - 7/10

Matt Smith - A big tall target man who can head it into the net. Not first choice at QPR. Certainly lacks the pace we'd like. But he's a striker isn't he and we could do with a big man to share the workload with Clarke. Barrel scraping rating - 6/10

Apostolos Vellios - Forever available from Forest, which is hardly a glowing endorsement for him. But he's a striker isn't he, he's tall and can move his body reasonably. Barrel scraping rating - 7/10

Zach Clough - Another striker a million miles away from Forest's team. But he has ability and can be a threat running with the ball. Barrel scraping rating - 5/10

Collin Quaner - Tall, pacy, powerful forward who's surely out of the picture at Huddersfield. He may have donkey features. But could he be useful for us? I think so. Barrel scraping rating - 5/10

Conor Washington - Cows arse, banjo and barn door are words that will probably often crop up when QPR fans discuss him. But he runs about a bit, and he's a striker isn't he. Barrel scraping rating - 6/10

Ashley Fletcher - Classic 'raw' - often indicating a player can't control a ball. But he has pace and it's in short supply. Barrel scraping rating - 6/10.

Ross McCormack - Talented fat ill disciplined manbaby available on a free transfer. Barrel scraping rating - 9/10.

Chris Martin - Looks to have far more hunger for McDonalds than he does for his football career, but he's a striker isn't he and he did score goals years ago. Barrel scraping rating - 8/10

Connor Wickham - Has spent about 2 years out with a knee injury, but you never know, he might still be able to run, turn and jump. Barrel scraping rating - 7/10

Last edited:
Wouldn't mind taking Paul Smyth from QPR on a loan to buy to supplement our attack and add some youth. Nippy little fucker, looked a threat when he came on against us at BL. Maybe a bit like a young non crippled Jamie Ward.

Not seen him too often but he was very very poor against Utd a few weeks ago and ended up getting hooked at half time.

And another two of the runners land on deadline day. One from post #1 and one from #37.

7 out of 8.

Well done thread.

Oliver Norwood might be one worth asking questions about, spend majority of season on loan at Fulham - will they want him permanently if they go up, unlikely Brighton would stand in his way if he wanted to leave.

As with many suggestions, wages and fee the stumbling blocks.
You win some...

Back
Top Bottom