Possible Summer Targets

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ricky

Banned
Reaction score
GOALKEEPERS

Jamal Blackman
- Anything under £3m would be a good, safe investment. But another loan seems more likely and would suit everybody.

Danny Ward
- Liverpool keeper who won promotion with Huddersfield after saving those penalties at Hillsborough. Possible loan if they don't fancy wasting another season of his career.

DEFENDERS

John Egan - Strong right footed centre back, a good fit for us. We've been linked before and I think we're very likely to be interested. One year left on his contract, should cost under £1.5m.

Darragh Lenihan
- Solid aggressive player who's also reasonable on the ball and can play in midfield. Even with Blackburn promoted we could go back in for him as he only has one year left on his contract.

Mark Beevers - Out of contract at Bolton. Dominant, left footed centre back who could cover CB and LCB for us. Arguably has his best years ahead of him.

Reece Burke - Highly rated young right footed centre back who's had a good loan spell at Bolton. We were briefly linked in January, if West Ham allow him to leave on any basis I think he'll be on our radar.

Tosin Adarabioyo
- Quality young centre back. 6 foot 5 and good on the ball. Played for Man City's first team this season. If they let him go on loan we'd be an ideal place to send him.

Dominic Iorfa
- Wolves could be willing to sell. Would be a good investment if so. Possible 'loan with a view'. Great athlete with a lot of potential, ideal for RCB.

Andy Yiadom - Right back with good pace and ability. Started out as a winger. Perfect for RWB. Can also play on the left. Out of contract at Barnsley, could have PL suitors. Maybe not viable given we're well stocked in that position, but he'd be a top quality free transfer.

Jack Robinson
- Solid left back who's done well at centre back this season for QPR. Would be an excellent free transfer to play LB/LWB and cover LCB.

Antonee Robinson - Attacking left wing back who has done well at Bolton on loan from Everton. Quick with good feet and dribbling ability. Everton could loan him out again and we'd be an ideal move for him.

Sam McQueen
- Left back or left midfielder with a quality left foot. Could be a more productive attacking LWB for us. Southampton are likely to let him go on loan.

MIDFIELDERS

Massimo Luongo - Would be very strong competition for Coutts and Fleck. Good ball player and ball carrier who's become increasingly solid and reliable in the last couple of years. Now QPR's captain. Probably not viable given what he'd cost and that we're already well stocked in midfield.

Max Power
- Good all round midfielder. Decent physically, mobile, good on the ball and can carry it. Right footed, takes a decent set piece. Still young enough to improve. One year left on his contract.

Josh Vela - Another versatile all round midfielder who has one year left on his contract. Physically good and decent on the ball. Can play all over the pitch. Showed in L1 that he has goals in him.

John McGinn
- Hibs midfielder. If we fancy selling Fleck then he's the outstanding option to replace him. Similar player. Will have a lot of suitors though and wouldn't be cheap.

Ben Marshall
- Right footed winger with good end product and a decent work rate. All round wide player. Can play on either side, and wing back. Has done well on loan at Millwall and Wolves will sell him this summer.

Yanic Wildschut
- Right footed winger. Powerful runner with good skill and ability who can play on both sides, and probably RWB. Norwich likely to sell.

Marvin Johnson - Boro paid £2m to sign him from Oxford last summer but are likely to sell this summer. Quite a traditional left winger, but has also played left back recently. Worth considering for LWB.

Sammy Ameobi - Tall, agile, pretty quick, strong, skillful, versatile, good left foot. He has great attributes on paper. He's done well for Bolton and would likely produce more in a better team. Out of contract, would be a good free transfer.

Sheyi Ojo
- Skillful and powerful left footed attacking midfielder who'd do well in the number 10 role or as a wide forward. Will probably leave Liverpool on loan again.

Kasey Palmer
- Skillful attacking midfielder who'll run with the ball a lot in the number 10 position. Likely to be loaned to a Championship club again. Chelsea should be happy to send him here.

Ryan Kent
- Quick, direct winger with excellent dribbling ability. Likely to be loaned out by Liverpool again.

ATTACKERS

Sam Gallagher
- Tall, mobile, good technically. We should be straight in for him if Southampton stay up and let him go on loan again. We'd be a good move for him. Hopefully they'd see that rather than sending him to whoever offers the biggest loan fee.

Ollie McBurnie -
Another very good all round young centre forward. We should try to loan him if he's available.

Sam Baldock
- Proven Championship striker who'd give us pace and goalscoring ability. A loan move might be our best hope.

Mohamed Eisa
- Has scored over 20 for Cheltenham in L2 this season. Decent pace and agility and good feet. Given how much proven strikers cost and how rapidly unproven ones can rocket in value, this seems like a no brainer for a club like us.

Izzy Brown - Striker or attacking midfielder with pace, guile and the ability to score and assist. Needs another loan move. Would play regularly for us. Chelsea should be happy to loan us players.

Adam Armstrong
- Started to score regularly for Blackburn. Tricky, skillful player with the potential to be a big player at Championship level. Probably ready to step up next season. If Newcastle are willing to sell he'd be a good buy. If not, consider a loan.

Lee Gregory
- Out of contract but Millwall have the option to extend for a year. He's done quite well this season. Would score more in a more attacking team. Wouldn't be surprised if we went for him.

Danny Ward
- Cardiff will probably look to sell him if they're promoted. Decent all round forward always likely to get into double figures in the Championship.

David McGoldrick - Worth considering on a free. Silky player and a decent athlete who's capable creating his own openings. Has shown his goalscoring ability numerous times in the Championship. Started this season well before nearly having his cock kicked off against Wednesday.

I'll add any more names in bold.

Add your own suggestions/possible targets.

Out of curiosity, is there any chance that we're going to look outside England for new players?

Trevoh Chalobah as a right-sided centre-back and Jay Da Silva as a left wing-back who has been on loan at Charlton this season are two possible loan options again from Chelsea. Brian Deane tweet on Ameobi is interesting; "Why isn’t Ameobi doing it at a bigger club? Mans got a nice languid style fans knew he was the danger, would be playing higher if he upped his work rate" If he's out of contract could be a shrewd signing under Wilder.

For me (and providing there are no outgoings) I'd like us to sign a LWB, a couple of CBs and a couple of strikers (preferably one of these can play out wide too should we need to set up that way).

Robinson and Ameobi are a good step in the right direction for me as they tick a lot of boxes out of that list whilst being free transfers. Robinson provides competition for Stevens and can fill in at LCB to push O'Connell on. Ameobi provides pace and can play up front, out wide and in the hole. They meet a lot of wilder criterias too: Both are a good age, have higher league experience with a point to prove in getting back there. As a Brucie Bonus they also come from teams that will have a similar wage structure to us so shouldnt upset the apple cart by breaking wage structures.

I also did a list of frees a few weeks ago here and a lot of the players you listed featured on mine. Few other highlights from that list are:

Reece James LWB, Wigan. Playing well for them. Similar to Robinson in that he's played higher up but been hampered. Good alternative option.

Florian Jozefzoon RW, Brentford. Made Stevens look a bit crap in the last game. We don't play with wingers obviously but he's been doing really well and would be a good one to snap up if we change formation next season.

Junior Hoilett RW, Cardiff. As above really. They're gonna look to strengthen there of they go up and with Mendez Laing doing a similar role already he might not get a renewal.

Pablo Hernandez CAM, Leeds. Getting on a bit but has been excellent every time I've seen him play for Leeds. Much as I love him I don't think Duffy will have it in him to play every game next year. If we got Hernandez then we will be able to have 2 effective options there.

Erhun Oztumer
CAM, Walsall yadda yadda. I don't think anything else needs to be said about him. If Brooks goes then he could be a good cost effective replacement.

Adedeji Oshilaja RCB, Wimbledon. Bit of an outside bet but I think this lad has what it takes to make it. Standout performer for them all season with Long. Good age, strong, pacey, enjoys driving the ball out from the back. Think he'd suit our overlapping CB system well.

Luke Freeman from QPR. He’s a goal scoring version of Mark Duffy. Should have had him years ago from Stevenage.

The players we should have signed while in L1, eh? We should've had Duffy and Freeman on the wings at the same time! But being completely entrenched in retard mode, we continually overlooked these types in favour of 'proven' players. Why spend anything on players who'll only increase in value.... then, finally, along came a manager with his head screwed on.

Not sure Freeman would be realistic now though, I think he'd probably cost more than Luongo would.

I also did a list of frees a few weeks ago here and a lot of the players you listed featured on mine. Few other highlights from that list are:

Reece James LWB, Wigan. Playing well for them. Similar to Robinson in that he's played higher up but been hampered. Good alternative option.

Florian Jozefzoon RW, Brentford. Made Stevens look a bit crap in the last game. We don't play with wingers obviously but he's been doing really well and would be a good one to snap up if we change formation next season.

Junior Hoilett RW, Cardiff. As above really. They're gonna look to strengthen there of they go up and with Mendez Laing doing a similar role already he might not get a renewal.

Pablo Hernandez CAM, Leeds. Getting on a bit but has been excellent every time I've seen him play for Leeds. Much as I love him I don't think Duffy will have it in him to play every game next year. If we got Hernandez then we will be able to have 2 effective options there.

Erhun Oztumer
CAM, Walsall yadda yadda. I don't think anything else needs to be said about him. If Brooks goes then he could be a good cost effective replacement.

Adedeji Oshilaja RCB, Wimbledon. Bit of an outside bet but I think this lad has what it takes to make it. Standout performer for them all season with Long. Good age, strong, pacey, enjoys driving the ball out from the back. Think he'd suit our overlapping CB system well.

Cardiff won't let Hoilett go, he's been really good for them and will be signing a new contract.

Jozefzoon's an interesting shout. One year left apparently so could be affordable. I would like us to sign a right footed winger but Ameobi plays on the right and even though he's left footed I'd rather take him on a free.

I liked Oshilaja when I saw him at Gillingham last season. Not tall, but has a good leap on him and is a genuine athlete with pace and agility. So it surprised me when he went to Wimbledon.

Some interesting names listed. Would be great if we only had to have one or two loans and the rest were outright buys. Not sure our finance will stretch that far, hopely the ownership will be done and dusted in time. Still no idea why the Prince bought into the Belgian club?

Cardiff won't let Hoilett go, he's been really good for them and will be signing a new contract.

Jozefzoon's an interesting shout. One year left apparently so could be affordable. I would like us to sign a right footed winger but Ameobi plays on the right and even though he's left footed I'd rather take him on a free.

I liked Oshilaja when I saw him at Gillingham last season. Not tall, but has a good leap on him and is a genuine athlete with pace and agility. So it surprised me when he went to Wimbledon.

Tbf I think hoilett will be likely to sign an extension too but you never know with who they have planned to bring in during the summer transfer window.

Out of the list so far Ameobi would probably be the most likely Winger we'd get. Mainly for his ability to play in other postitions should we keep the same formation next season

Tbf I think hoilett will be likely to sign an extension too but you never know with who they have planned to bring in during the summer transfer window.

Out of the list so far Ameobi would probably be the most likely Winger we'd get. Mainly for his ability to play in other postitions should we keep the same formation next season

I'd hope Ben Marshall is the main wide player we target. He'd be a perfect signing. He can play as a winger or wing back on both sides. Imagine if we had him in some of the positions Baldock and Stevens have got into this season?

I think there's room for both him and a more dedicated attacking winger/midfielder like Ameobi - especially if Brooks is sold... which he probably will be before even making 10 starts for us.

The players we should have signed while in L1, eh? We should've had Duffy and Freeman on the wings at the same time! But being completely entrenched in retard mode, we continually overlooked these types in favour of 'proven' players. Why spend anything on players who'll only increase in value.... then, finally, along came a manager with his head screwed on.

Not sure Freeman would be realistic now though, I think he'd probably cost more than Luongo would.

Could probably have some fun making an 11 from the signings we should have made that were right under our noses and easily achievable whilst in league one.....Let’s Try:

GK: ??

RWB: Moses Odubajo (Leyton Orient)
CB: James Tarkowski (Oldham)
CB: Alfie Mawson (Brentford - on loan at wycombe)
CB: John Egan (Gillingham)
LWB: Sam Clucas (Mansfield then Chesterfied)

CM: Ryan Woods (Shrewsbury)
CM: Mark Duffy (Scunthorpe)
CM: Luke Freeman (Stevenage)

ST: Callum Wilson (Coventry)
ST: Lee Gregory (Halifax)

Midfield might get overrun slightly if they could ever get the ball off us ;)
But then we could just swap one of them for Sam Morsy or the one we did sign eventually in John Fleck (Praise the lord!)

Any more suggestions?

Could probably have some fun making an 11 from the signings we should have made that were right under our noses and easily achievable whilst in league one.....Let’s Try:

GK: ??

RWB: Moses Odubajo (Leyton Orient)
CB: James Tarkowski (Oldham)
CB: Alfie Mawson (Brentford - on loan at wycombe)
CB: John Egan (Gillingham)
LWB: Sam Clucas (Mansfield then Chesterfied)

CM: Ryan Woods (Shrewsbury)
CM: Mark Duffy (Scunthorpe)
CM: Luke Freeman (Stevenage)

ST: Callum Wilson (Coventry)
ST: Lee Gregory (Halifax)

Midfield might get overrun slightly if they could ever get the ball off us ;)
But then we could just swap one of them for Sam Morsy or the one we did sign eventually in John Fleck (Praise the lord!)

Any more suggestions?

Oh yes. Here, have a completely new team:

Foderingham

Darikwa Webster Burn Ritchie

Judge Morsy D.Johnson Aluko

Winnall Grigg

Oh yes. Here, have a completely new team:

Foderingham

Darikwa Webster Burn Ritchie

Judge Morsy D.Johnson Aluko

Winnall Grigg

Can’t believe i forgot Ritchie on my list! Banged on about signing him from Swindon for ages. Yannick Bolasie was another one when he was at Plymouth and scored at Bramall Lane for them and Jamie Mackie from that side also but that was before our league 1 stint.

I'd hope Ben Marshall is the main wide player we target. He'd be a perfect signing. He can play as a winger or wing back on both sides. Imagine if we had him in some of the positions Baldock and Stevens have got into this season?

I think there's room for both him and a more dedicated attacking winger/midfielder like Ameobi - especially if Brooks is sold... which he probably will be before even making 10 starts for us.

Forgot I put Marshall on my list too! Think he'd be a great choice.

Ameobi would still be my favourite if hypothetically we were to only go with the one wide player but it shows that there's a lot of potentially cheap options out there that can more than do a job for us if they came in.

For me it has to be Jack Marriott and/or Lee Gregory.

Gregory sufc fan, we are bigger than Millwall probably can pay him the money he wants also. His record is hit and miss but it’s not like we would be throwing money away as we know he’s a decent player at this level.

Marriott would be more of a risk. But after the last lot of signings from League one I think the scouting network needs to improve massively

My choices currently would probably be:

Jamal Blackman - Loan
John Egan - £1.25m
Jack Robinson - Free
Ben Marshall - £1.75m
Sammy Ameobi - Free
Sam Gallagher - Loan
Mohamed Eisa - £500,000

For me it has to be Jack Marriott and/or Lee Gregory.

Gregory sufc fan, we are bigger than Millwall probably can pay him the money he wants also. His record is hit and miss but it’s not like we would be throwing money away as we know he’s a decent player at this level.

Marriott would be more of a risk. But after the last lot of signings from League one I think the scouting network needs to improve massively

Marriott is also a big Blade

Jamal Blackman - Loan
John Egan - £1.25m
Jack Robinson - Free
Ben Marshall - £1.75m
Sammy Ameobi - Free
Sam Gallagher - Loan
Mohamed Eisa - £500,000

I think this lot would definitely improve the overall quality of the squad but with an outlay of £3m and hefty loan fees for Blackman and particularly Gallagher, a replacement for either Fleck or Brooks may need to be added to the list unless the ownership issues are resolved

Last edited:
Ben Marshall? We cannot carry 3 RWBs in our side.

Ameobi doesn’t fit into our play style.

I would be looking at the championship teams going down see if can take a Jota from them but would cost big money.

I think this lot would definitely improve the overall quality of the squad but with an outlay of £3m and hefty loan fees for Blackman and particularly Gallagher, a replacement for either Fleck or Brooks may need to be added to the list unless the ownership issues are resolved

We spent about £2m in January despite the current ownership situation, I wouldn't have thought £3-5m would be beyond us in the summer, especially when you factor in the likely departures. If that is beyond us while we've got a manager like Wilder and genuine aspirations then we might as well pack it in.

Lafferty - £100,000
Carruthers - £300,000
Lavery - £150,000
Thomas - £250,000
Hussey and Hanson - -£20,000
Donaldson - released
Heneghan - Loan / £300,000
Evans - Loan
Long - Loan
Reed - Loan

Plenty of wages to free up there and a bit in transfer fees.

Ben Marshall? We cannot carry 3 RWBs in our side.

Ameobi doesn’t fit into our play style.

I would be looking at the championship teams going down see if can take a Jota from them but would cost big money.

Birmingham won't go down. If I thought they would Harlee Dean would be on my list.

Marshall would be a big attacking improvement on our current RWBs. If we could sign him I'd consider selling Freeman. But he can play equally well on the left too. In fact he's got 3 left footed left wing assists in the last 2 games.

Ameobi could be used as a striker, one of two behind the striker or as a winger in a different formation. Wilder could really make him a top player and he's worth taking on a free. But there are more suitable teams for him to join.

If we're after another RWB i would be looking at Nathan Byrne, especially if Wigan don't get promoted. Think he would fit ideally into our style of play with pacey attacking wing backs.

Jamal Blackman - Loan
John Egan - £1.25m
Jack Robinson - Free
Ben Marshall - £1.75m
Sammy Ameobi - Free
Sam Gallagher - Loan
Mohamed Eisa - £500,000

Would pick up the centre half from Pompey Clarke over Egan, would be better value for money and his physicality will offer something different. Also would take McBurney over Gallagher.

Also if we weren’t so well covered in centre mid i’d look at Nolan at Shrewsbury who could be the next Ryan Woods.

Back
Top Bottom