Positions still needed in this summer window?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If Trusty is going to be our regular LCB then perhaps we may already have our LCM already at the club, Robbo! he already enjoys his foray's up field and when he makes his customary mistakes they might not be as damaging with him not in defence. I know he's not a midfielder at the moment but!
You being serious?

Hi Stegosaurus here,

Goalie

Anybody who thinks Wes won't be a liability in the PL doesn't know anything about football. He's mid-table Championship level at best. He will cost us at least five games this season.

Doyle / Smallbone
OBrien
Archer

And I'd like another LWB option. Loans for Perraud, Harrison and Maouassa may be possible

Goalkeeper as well but it seems there's no chance of that. Which is a very big risk indeed, and could undo good recruitment further up the pitch

Doyle / Smallbone
OBrien
Archer

And I'd like another LWB option. Loans for Perraud, Harrison and Maouassa may be possible

Goalkeeper as well but it seems there's no chance of that. Which is a very big risk indeed, and could undo good recruitment further up the pitch
Don't we need a Mcatee/Ndiaye/MGW type player possibly on loan? Link from midfield to the strikers etc.

I would probably say 2 strikers instead of 2 attacking midfielders. We’re 6/7 short imo of having a competitive first team. I can’t see us getting more than another 4 signings unfortunately though.

Deadline for Forest match is 12pm on Thursday. I’d expect 1 or 2 in by then. We need it, so let’s be positive and hope it gets done. We know what our budget is as our outgoings are now out, so to speak, so I’m expecting us to push the button.

Deadline for Forest match is 12pm on Thursday. I’d expect 1 or 2 in by then. We need it, so let’s be positive and hope it gets done. We know what our budget is as our outgoings are now out, so to speak, so I’m expecting us to push the button.
Attacking mid & up top for me has to be priority. We cannot go atleast until January with an injury prone Oli Mac, a sick note in Brewster & 3 20 year old academy/prospects and no attacking midfielder. Where are the goals going to come from?
Hopefully get a couple in this week cos if we haven’t got 2 points by end of play 2nd September after we play Everton. We’re done for already.

Hi Stegosaurus here,

Goalie

Anybody who thinks Wes won't be a liability in the PL doesn't know anything about football. He's mid-table Championship level at best. He will cost us at least five games this season.
Ramsdale cost us more than that last time in the Prem, and he's in the Champions League now. Wes might not be perfect but we have far more pressing business to do.

The positions we need depend on what formation we're going to play. I was looking at Brentford's tactics and they have a clear formation (433) that they use to attack teams they think they've got a chance of beating, and a defensive formation against the big boys (532 with a flat 3 in midfield). A flat 3 in midfield is a defensive formation and I suspect we'll play that a fair few times this season, but we can't be so one dimensional as to play it every single game like the last time we were in the prem.

Without Basham and O'Connell it loses any kind of attacking threat and those tight games we were on the winning side of in the first season became losses in the second season leading to relegation. Hecky's most effective formation last season (and the back end of the relegation season when we actually started to pick up a few points) was with 2 in midfield and two attacking behind a central striker. We obviously can't play 4 at the back (?) so I suspect this is the formation we'll have to use as our offensive formation to attack the teams we have a chance of beating.

In both formations we already have the defence covered and Souza will surely play in the centre regardless of the formation. Yes yes I know that we could do with an upgrade to GK and LWB, but like it or not, those positions are covered and for our lack of funds, there are positions that we don't even have a player for, let alone cover. That leaves us needing a LCM and an extra striker for the 532, and 2 AMs for the 3421 formation. Hamer has played LCM for Coventry on a few occasions, and could also play AM, which means at a push instead of LCM we could bring in another RCM, and assuming we do, we might only need 1 AM and new striker.

LCMs:
Lewis O'Brien (24, Forest) is an obvious choice and one I think we'll eventually sign. But this will be on transfer deadline day as even tho Forest need to sell to meet FFP, they are still not going to want to help a relegation rival if they can help it. Would be around £8 to £10m.
Adam Wharton (19, Blackburn) looks like an excellent prospect, but only just turned 19 and only started 12 times for Blackburn last season so not sure he's ready to start in the prem and would cost around £10 to £15m so an expensive gamble.

RCMs:
Tommy Doyle - we know exactly what we're getting and he knows the team/style of play. But he'll also be one of the most expensive players on this list and might not leave much left for other signings.
Tom Davies - still young and our favourite price (free). Not sure what happened to him at Everton (he only started 4 games last season and 15 as a sub). At that price I can see Davies signing instead of Doyle.

AMs:
There are a few that might be available to buy at a reasonable price like Patrick Roberts (£5m?) of Sunderland, and some available at a not so reasonable price like Jack Clarke (£15m?) or Ilias Chair (£15m?), but I think this is where one of our loans will be used (assuming we sign a central midfielder and Hamer is pushed forward when we attack teams). McAtee and Cole Palmer are the names mentioned here but again, if we get one of these it will be after City do their own business so don't expect these before deadline day.

Striker:
Archer is the obvious choice here, either on loan or on permanent (£15m?).
Akpom would have been another choice, altho I see him personally playing just behind the striker so could be considered for the AM role in the 3421. Apparently off to Ajax or Lens but that could be Middlesborough playing hardball with us over the price. I think we would value him at no more than £8m with Boro holding out for £12m.
Georges Mikautadze, the 22 year old Georgian, is a name linked to us earlier in the transfer window. Complete gamble but available at around £13 from Metz is the kind of random unknown signing I get excited about!

What will we get?
Probably O'Brien, Davies, and a Man City lad on loan (hopefully McAtee). Hopefully we can add Archer or other competent striker to add to McBurnie and Osula. If Archer is on loan, that would set us back maybe £10 to £15m in transfer fees (maybe closer to £30m+ if Archer is on a perm). Akpom would be a nice bonus but not sure that will come off and would surely mean Archer would only be a loan. On the other hand, if Archer is permanent, that would leave an extra loan spot which could go on a GK or LWB if absolutely necessary.

Last edited:
100% need six in at least. Maybe a goalkeeper and cover for Egan if we want strength in depth. (This is including Berge leaving)

1x CM
1x DM

1x LCM
2x CAM

1x ST
1x GK
1x CB

We've brought in four already to key positions so our total INS should be 10 - 12 by September.

Trusty LCB
Larouci LWB
Slimane CM

Traore ST
I'd add a LWB to that list unless RND is further forward than the club are letting on

No chance we sign another LWB. We already have Lowe, Larouci, RND and Osborn who can play there. Cannot believe people are seriously suggesting we waste some of our remaining budget to sign a 5th left back.

Looks like we're effectively chucking another game with a Mickey Mouse squad on Friday.
Shrinking our season into 34/35 games when everyone else is playing 38 is a bold move for a promoted side.

No chance we sign another LWB. We already have Lowe, Larouci, RND and Osborn who can play there. Cannot believe people are seriously suggesting we waste some of our remaining budget to sign a 5th left back.
Just because someone can "do a job" there in the championship doesn't mean they should be considered to do it in the Premier League. Additonally Lowe, RND, and Osborn are all out of contract at the end of this season and I'm not really bothered about keeping any of them on.

I think we definitely need four more..

CM
CAM
CAM
ST

Being greedy but not desperate...
GK
CB
LWB

What we need and what we will realistically get are very different. We need a keeper ( maybe just as back up) left wing back, Central center back, two attacking midfielders and a striker or two.

So with Davies signing for the CM slot surely the remaining signings have to be attacking? Ideally three.

GK, CB and LWB will have to be on the future list.

Let's have a look at it.. ideally you want 2 players in every position:

GK
Foderingham
Davies

RWB
Baldock
Bogle

RCB
Anel
Basham

CB
Egan

LCB
Trusty
Robinson

LWB
Lowe
Larouci

RCM
Hamer
Slimane

CM
Souza
Norwood

LCM
Davies
Osborn

AM

CF*
McBurnie
Jebbison
Osula
Brewster

***In terms of bodies, we need cover at CB and an AM or two.

**In terms of quality, we need to upgrade at CF, LWB and in midfield.

5/6 more.

GK
Foderingham
Davies

RWB
Baldock
Bogle

RCB
Anel
Basham

CB
Egan

LCB
Trusty
Robinson

LWB
Lowe
Larouci

RCM
Hamer
Slimane

CM
Souza
Norwood

LCM
Davies
Osborn

AM

CF*
McBurnie
Jebbison
Osula
Brewster

5/6 more.
I think we're ok at CB, Anel can play CB, Robinson could do it I think. Maybe trusty as well. With RND hopefully becoming available to us again 🙏. We could do with 1 yes but given limited funds I would rather get a better GK to challenge Wes.

I think we're ok at CB, Anel can play CB, Robinson could do it I think. Maybe trusty as well. With RND hopefully becoming available to us again 🙏. We could do with 1 yes but given limited funds I would rather get a better GK to challenge Wes.

The murmurs around RND aren't good at all sadly, which is why I haven't included him.

The murmurs around RND aren't good at all sadly, which is why I haven't included him.
If true then we have a problem ,apart from RND we dont have a quality LB or LWB who can perform in the prem . Was letting Stevens go a mistake? Not saying he was perfect but I think he was better than some we have in that position .

Seems to have gone quite on the Archer front today . Piggy Palmer saying Leeds should go and get him now .

GK
Foderingham
Davies

RWB
Baldock
Bogle

RCB
Anel
Basham

CB
Egan

LCB
Trusty
Robinson

LWB
Lowe
Larouci

RCM
Hamer
Slimane

CM
Souza
Norwood

LCM
Davies
Osborn

AM

CF*
McBurnie
Jebbison
Osula
Brewster

5/6 more.
Don't forget our Benie 😉

But yes I agree with all that.. definitely three attacking players. Jebbison/Osula can go out on loan then.

GK, CB, LWB, LCM can be future signings.

As fast as they come in , others drop down crocked - I've never known a situation like this - putting the feckin kids into the PL , players who couldn't get near the squad in a lower league last season.

Back
Top Bottom